Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI President Cam Speaks: Monty, Donny, & Charlie too!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Mod edit: @smithformeragent

As this situation continues to drag on:

Please keep the conversation pertinent to the topic and avoid making it personal.

Debate about the management of the salary cap and the performance of the general manager fits into the context of the conversation, but we’ll avoid dividing fans into camps like “pro-player” and “team apologist”.

Thanks!

Continue if you must. No flaming!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
not all 8/64 deals are created equal. See my other post
Fair enough, but the Bruins are notoriously tight-lipped about negotiations. Neely speaking frankly signals frustration with the ask (as he admits as much) and how Gross and Swayman have been public about the negotiations. Complete conjecture here, but it's reasonable to surmise that the sides don't agree on the money, rather than the other elements you're referring to.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Fair enough, but the Bruins are notoriously tight-lipped about negotiations. Neely speaking frankly signals frustration with the ask (as he admits as much) and how Gross and Swayman have been public about the negotiations. Complete conjecture here, but it's reasonable to surmise that the sides don't agree on the money, rather than the other elements you're referring to.
Agreed. It’s an either AAV or term more than likely. I also don’t mind the media nonsense. Draw they line with GM or team president and agent

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
I cannot overstate how much I f***ing LOVE Neely's public comments on the Swayman situation.

1000002050.gif

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
So Cam's 64 million reasons comment led me to thinking

Maybe the spitting chicklets comment had a partial truth to it....namely that year one was $6.25m

If you use $6.25m as a starting point and increase the salary every year by $500k you get to the total of $64m with year eight at $9.75m- there are countless iterations but this is one way to to get to Cams 64m comment

Of course how the money is split between salary and signing bonus ( a way to guarantee payment if there is a lock-out) can still be a major stumbling block. But the $64m sure puts a real total number out there to be discussed

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I prefer professional answers like Sweeney and Jacobs gave in regards to a guy I want on my team long term. I also am a big Brad Marchand guy who just said negotiations should never be done in the media and his boss just blew one of his teammates up.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. We have a player who has put himself above the team and is actively hurting his teammates and coach by refusing to play. They had all summer to get this done but Swayman didn't want to negotiate so now here we are. I think the team has every right to defend themselves in the court of public opinion.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Ok, that's exactly what I was hoping Neely would step up and do. Say enough of this crap and throw it out there.

If Swayman turned his nose up at 8x8 then that completely changes the argument and the "blame meter". 8x8 is honestly a perfect spot to land at, he gives up a million or so and the Bruins give an extra million or so. If this is the route he's choosing then F it, he can sit and I wont be happy watching Korpisalo out there but the anger wont be on the front office.
Yup. And there's literally (well almost literally lol) no difference between $64 over 8 years and $72 million over 8 years. Since he's so well-educated in business he (or, more accurately, the financial advisers he can hire) can just as easily turn $64m into $100m or more as you can $72m.

Sure, but for the umpteenth time (but why not? Everyone else has been repeating themselves as nauseam across five threads), we don’t know who it is that won’t go to $8m. Many assume that it’s Swayman, but it could just as easily be Sweeney who won’t budge, or won’t budge much, off of the initial offer of $6.2 (if that indeed even was the initial offer).

My point is, and has always been, that while $8(ish) seems like it should be the magic number, we don’t know which side, if either, is refusing to meet in the middle. Again, again, again, it could be one or it could be both. We just don’t know. It can’t be neither though or it would already be done. So there’s no point picking sides until and unless we do know. And there’s certainly no reason to be constantly attacking one another based on guesses and assumptions and misinformation. Like many, I am sick of the whole thing. Get ‘er done boys!
To reply to my own post. Now we know. Sign the f***ing deal kid or f*** off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midship and Bodit9

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Agreed. It’s an either AAV or term more than likely. I also don’t mind the media nonsense. Draw they line with GM or team president and agent
If LeBrun is to be believed, and he's typically accurate, Swayman wants 8 years. If that's true, he wants more than $8 million per, which already places him as one of the top-paid goalies in the NHL.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’m very interested to know the timeline of when 8x8 was offered. Was it always on the table or did this just recently get offered to swayman and he’s mulling it over.

Reactions: BTO

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
If LeBrun is to be believed, and he's typically accurate, Swayman wants 8 years. If that's true, he wants more than $8 million per, which already places him as one of the top-paid goalies in the NHL.
Yep.

You look at this list and the guys at the top are towards the end of their respective deals.

By year 3 or 4 of an 8 x $8m, the top goalies will be making what, $12-14m with the cap rising?
So he probably thinks to himself, does he really want to be locked into that $8m number for his prime years and cost himself another bite at the apple for the top of the market?

So maybe "settling" in terms of AAV to get term is more along the lines of $9.5-10m?

Then what options remain?
  • 1 year deal?
  • bridge deal?
  • trade?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Forwards tend to get paid more than goaltenders. Especially center men.

You speak of Swayman as if it’s an absolute certainty he’s going to be a stud goaltender. He could become the best goaltender in the league, or he could start to crack this season once he starts 60-65 games for this first time in his career. He’s a talented kid, he had one very good playoff series. 8x8m seems like a very fair deal imo.

IMO he already is. I think he will be the best goaltender of his generation, his generation's Carey Price. That is my opinion of this player. It's heartbreaking to see them go down this road with him while taking care of older, lesser players from outside the organization. It's the same shit they did back in the late 1990s and early 2000s that made the franchise a laughing stock.

• Haha
Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If Lewis Gross called a news conference and said we can’t get the Bruins off their 6.5 mil per or their insistence of an 8 year term or whatever the management team acolytes would be going nuts

Sounds like someone didn't read the sticky post at the top of the thread.

Reactions: Grimey

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
I’m very interested to know the timeline of when 8x8 was offered. Was it always on the table or did this just recently get offered to swayman and he’s mulling it over.
this and im wondering (and worried about) what the tenor will be like in 24/48 hours from now if that 8x8 deal is still unsigned

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
They're offering him more than Saros got. Very generous. Does Swayman want to get to $9M and $9.5M and then Bruins would have to start trading players to unload salary? That would be unbelievable.

Why would that be unbelievable? It happens all the time.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It kind of interesting....

Swayman gets asked about his experience with arbitration & negotiations. Answers honestly & professionally
Some Bruins fans: Its a bad look that he's bad mouthing the team and not keeping negotiations private, none of the other Bruins leaders have run to the media to make negotiations public

Neely says they've given him 64 million reasons to be on the team
Some Bruins fans: f*** YA, good on Neely for calling out that greedy little prick.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
It kind of interesting....

Swayman gets asked about his experience with arbitration & negotiations. Answers honestly & professionally
Bruins fans: Its a bad look that he's bad mouthing the team and not keeping negotiations private, none of the other Bruins leaders have run to the media to make negotiations public

Neely says they've given him 64 million reasons to be on the team
Bruins fans: f*** YA, good on Neely for calling out that greedy little prick.
Let's be careful about making sweeping generalizations about the fanbase.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Rask signed his big contract after taking the Bruins to the SCF with .940 save percentage. What has Swayman done that’s comparable to that?

Ran a .933 SV% in the playoffs and dragged this team as far as he could. They would have gone further if their top producers didn't shit the bed in round two against Florida.....but no one wants to talk about that. I guess Swayman should scoring goals on top of stopping them.

Let's be careful about making sweeping generalizations about the fanbase.

Fine, I changed it to say "some Bruins fans"

Reactions: smithformeragent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad