Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI President Cam Speaks: Monty, Donny, & Charlie too!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Mod edit: @smithformeragent

As this situation continues to drag on:

Please keep the conversation pertinent to the topic and avoid making it personal.

Debate about the management of the salary cap and the performance of the general manager fits into the context of the conversation, but we’ll avoid dividing fans into camps like “pro-player” and “team apologist”.

Thanks!

Continue if you must. No flaming!

Last edited by a moderator:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
IMO he already is. I think he will be the best goaltender of his generation, his generation's Carey Price. That is my opinion of this player. It's heartbreaking to see them go down this road with him while taking care of older, lesser players from outside the organization. It's the same shit they did back in the late 1990s and early 2000s that made the franchise a laughing stock.
Huge leap on your part. He’s never had to handle the workload of a true 1. I hate the direction of this thread. I don’t think Swayman has showed he’s capable of handling the workload of starter but I’m still willing to take the risk and sign him to an 8yr 8m per deal. I just don’t think I’m of the belief that a goaltender should be amongst the leagues top 10 paid players.

Your fixation on E. Lindholm is odd to me. He’s the 33rd in center men cap hit in the league. Swayman at 9.5/ 10m would be 2nd of 3rd highest paid.

Price 10.5m
Bobrovsky 10m
Vasilevskiy 9.5m
Hellebuyck 8.5m
Sorokin 8.25m

Price never won. Bobrovsky did recently but for a few seasons he wasn’t even the starter there. Vasilevskiy is the outlier, he was worth every penny BUT he was on a stacked Tampa team.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Look, when comparing externally, sure, Goalies vs. goalies, D-men vs. D-men. Apples to apples.

But internally IMO it does not matter what position they play or their contract status. EVERY dressing room at EVERY level of hockey has a pecking order from most important player to least important. The players in the room are well aware of the pecking order.

In that room, Pasta is the man. In terms of importance, who is No. 2? Some would say McAvoy, some would say Swayman. I'd argue it's Swayman based on last year's playoffs but he's no less than the 3rd most important player on that team and more important to the Bruins success than Elias Lindholm by a considerable margin IMO. I look at McAvoy when he signed his massive extension and I think Swayman has a valid argument when comparing players within his own team.

That to me is the problem. Externally he's trying to raise the bar for all other goaltenders, meanwhile he wants what is his perceived value within the Bruins current team. I think he see's himself in the same importance as Pasta and McAvoy. The Bruins at 8 x 8 want to pay him like a player a tier below those two. Fundamentally when dealing with the ego's of pro athletes, I don't know how they cross that bridge. If the Bruins management feel the same way as Swayman (that he's a top level core piece alongside Pasta and McAvoy), then pay him as such. If they don't feel that way, I don't see how they build that bridge and convince Swayman he's not one of the "Big 3" so to speak.
This is a long-winded way of saying when apples are compared to apples, it is a very generous offer to Swayman. I agree.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Raycroft signed after a week after camp opened and he made it sound like he went over his agent to take the deal because he missed his teammates. It was on the first Morning Bru about the offseason and Swayman holdout.

Phil didn't want to be here and I believe it was a sign and trade deal to ship him to Toronto for Tuukka

Raycroft was traded to Toronto for Tuukka.

Kessel went to Toronto for the draft picks that became Tyler Seguin and Jared Knight

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
One person needs to breath before posting..

I love Sway but his agent has Sways heads in the clouds in a Badwayman.

Hard to reset a market with his resume.

Has nothing to do with wanting a short term deal it’s been said by many reporters that Sway was pushing for 8 years.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Huge leap on your part. He’s never had to handle the workload of a true 1. I hate the direction of this thread. I don’t think Swayman has showed he’s capable of handling the workload of starter but I’m still willing to take the risk and sign him to an 8yr 8m per deal. I just don’t think I’m of the belief that a goaltender should be amongst the leagues top 10 paid players.

Your fixation on E. Lindholm is odd to me. He’s the 33rd in center men cap hit in the league. Swayman at 9.5/ 10m would be 2nd of 3rd highest paid.

Price 10.5m
Bobrovsky 10m
Vasilevskiy 9.5m
Hellebuyck 8.5m
Sorokin 8.25m

Price never won. Bobrovsky did recently but for a few seasons he wasn’t even the starter there. Vasilevskiy is the outlier, he was worth every penny BUT he was on a stacked Tampa team.
For now, but he could be a bargain by year 3 or 4 of a 8 x $9.5 deal if Shesterkin signs for $12m and the cap continues to rise.

Club likely says "You may think you're a top 3 goalie in this league, but the CBA says you haven't put your time in so we're not paying you more than Hellebuyck or Sorokin" and why should they?

Swayman and his camp seemingly seized the opportunity to go on the offensive when Ullmark got dealt, thinking they had the club in a vulnerable position.

It's all quite compelling to consider.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is a long-winded way of saying when apples are compared to apples, it is a very generous offer to Swayman. I agree.

Very generous no. I don't consider it a low-ball by any means.

Internally it's a joke. If you want to ignore the internal part then that is up to you.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
IMO he already is. I think he will be the best goaltender of his generation, his generation's Carey Price. That is my opinion of this player. It's heartbreaking to see them go down this road with him while taking care of older, lesser players from outside the organization. It's the same shit they did back in the late 1990s and early 2000s that made the franchise a laughing stock.

8x8 is more than fair and taking care kd Swayman however.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Very generous no. I don't consider it a low-ball by any means.

Internally it's a joke. If you want to ignore the internal part then that is up to you.
Bingo.

Many will look at 8 x 8 and side with management over the player here, but the club is definitely getting a bargain here medium to long terms if he plays at the level many feel he will (Call it top 5).

Reactions: BruinDust

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
One person needs to breath before posting..

I love Sway but his agent has Sways heads in the clouds in a Badwayman.

Hard to reset a market with his resume.

Has nothing to do with wanting a short term deal it’s been said by many reporters that Sway was pushing for 8 years.
I cannot help but think someone has swayed Jeremy's thoughts on this. He seems like a good kid but is a bit of a rookie (rightfully so) on this. We may never know but I would love to know what his teammates think. Hell...I would LOVE to know what Linus thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad