Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Using a salary from 11 years ago and his 4th contract ( as opposed to his third like Swayman ) is a choice but it's yours to make.
so Hellebuyck six years ago 6.1 per.....I'll do Swayman 8 x 8.2---deal?

Great , that might help the team in 2028 when Marchand is long gone. But it makes the team a good bit worse this year
I agree. I don't really see anything that works that's why I don't think a trade is the answer, but the Ullmark trade was one that will help in 2028 as well if Letourneau pans out.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I realize many here are not Joe Haggerty fans.

However, as with Ty Anderson, Haggerty has some perceptive things to say about the present circumstance.

I would therefore urge viewing the episode of "Pucks with Haggs," featuring guest Evan Marinofsky, posted last night.

Haggerty posits that if this thing does not get done within a week or two, the likelihood is that the Bruins will trade Jeremy Swayman.

At this point, I have to agree.

There are reasons for this.

Sweeney does not like Swayman's agent. To understate the matter considerably.

He likely feels the negotiating demand relative to payout and term is unearned and hence unwarranted.

The Bruins will not alter the way they do business to satisfy a headstrong, perhaps overreaching Swayman or assuage his pique over a bruising arbitration process he himself requested.

They are not going to treat a largely unproven Swayman as a special case deserving of dollars & years based on a small sample size and hope.

More to the point, Sweeney will not allow the situation to change or undermine the justly vaunted Bruins "culture."

Rather, if the Swayman camp remains unbending and a deal is not struck fairly soon, the player will be traded for the best return.

As Haggerty and Marinofsky correctly point out, Jeremy has flourished in a winning organization, surrounded by solid, talented teammates and a stable system.

It is unlikely he would enjoy a similar environment in Anaheim, Columbus, Utah or San Jose.

There is a point at which Swayman's insistence on digging in his heels begins to appear less the position of a principaled superstar in the making than the behavior of an immature, selfish young man willing to torpedo his teammates and flip off the fans in service of his own ego.

I believe we are at that point now.

I hope things work out, one way or another.

As a Swayman fan ( and the hope that he remains a lifetime Bruin ) I scoffed at the idea of but there is historical evidence of letting go of players that aren't on board with their program. Tough to admit but this could be a possible scenario.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
so Hellebuyck six years ago 6.1 per.....I'll do Swayman 8 x 8.2---deal?

I agree. I don't really see anything that works that's why I don't think a trade is the answer, but the Ullmark trade was one that will help in 2028 as well if Letourneau pans out.

8x8 is what I'd like to see him come at - I think it's fair and falls in line with the trend of locking up young stars a contract earlier.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Just playing along with the trade Swayman theory crowd ...

I don't want to go back to the goalie carousel of years before Thomas but teams have won cups without a franchise goaltender.

Try seattle with a return of Daccord, Wright and Nyman
Don't know if seattle would be interested as they have Philipp Grubauer for 3 more years at a 5.9 cap hit.

I'm not saying any of this is good but with our defense a goalie that can make that first save should be able to hold the fort.

The trouble with trading Swayman is the very real possibility that the team acquiring him has the same contract difficulties Boston is having and then flips him to a Bruins rival - like Montreal or worse. I would want Swayman out west somewhere.

In any event if there is a trade Boston would need a goalie of similar age or less in return and hopefully a young center and right wing. Swayman has proven NHL capability (with great potential) and Boston has need of young talent/skill key words talent/skill.

These goalies are young and still not fully NHL proven but full of potential ... possibility build a trade around one of these ? The trouble is finding a team that will dance in agreement with our needs.

Yaroslav Askarov, 22, San Jose Sharks
Jesper Wallstedt, 21, Minnesota Wild
Dustin Wolf, 23, Calgary Flames

I really don't like any of this and would just pray and hope Boston can sign Swayman to a contract both are happy with.

Reactions: GordonHowe

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
8x8 is what I'd like to see him come at - I think it's fair and falls in line with the trend of locking up young stars a contract earlier.
7.75 × 8 is fair.He has never carried the load a full season.Sweeney made a big mistake not adding that 2nd yr.That would have secured him under 4 million and that extra cash would have been huge..They need to get this done soon.

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Trouble was in the air when they went to arbitration with him and Frederic. Taught em hardball and now hes playing. Got to think Frederic will do the same next year as a UFA.
Resigning or replacing Freddy is easier with no Swayman. It’s probably a DeBrusk situation and contract we don’t want to go near.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
1726939790602.gif

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Very different scenarios though. Saros had an upcoming arbitration hearing before he signed his bridge deal.

The Bruins and Swayman would have had to agree to that deal last year. However, the bruins couldn’t offer swayman a bridge deal because they didn’t have the cap space to do so.

Swayman and the bruins didn’t elect for arbitration this year. So an arbiter isn’t going to potentially split the difference between swayman and bruins offers to each other.

Swayman is completely free to negotiation a contract without a 3rd party determining his contract.

That's fair and one I didn't think of. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes in terms of length and $$$ though.

Reactions: UncleRico

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012

I don't want to go back to the goalie carousel of years before Thomas but teams have won cups without a franchise goaltender.

Don't know if seattle would be interested as they have Philipp Grubauer for 3 more years at a 5.9 cap hit.

I'm not saying any of this is good but with our defense a goalie that can make that first save should be able to hold the fort.

The trouble with trading Swayman is the very real possibility that the team acquiring him has the same contract difficulties Boston is having and then flips him to a Bruins rival - like Montreal or worse. I would want Swayman out west somewhere.

In any event if there is a trade Boston would need a goalie of similar age or less in return and hopefully a young center and right wing. Swayman has proven NHL capability (with great potential) and Boston has need of young talent/skill key words talent/skill.

These goalies are young and still not fully NHL proven but full of potential ... possibility build a trade around one of these ? The trouble is finding a team that will dance in agreement with our needs.

I really don't like any of this and would just pray and hope Boston can sign Swayman to a contract both are happy with.
I highly doubt any team is going to trade for him without a contract in place. The biggest problem is Sway can veto any trade by refusing to sign with the potential acquiring team.
If they do end up trading him we’ll probably be even less impressed with the return than we were with Ullmark’s.

Reactions: HustleB

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

The problem is the timing. The time to deal Swayman would've been before July 1. At this point dealing Swayman means you are taking significant salary back. A Swayman deal where you "have to move him" ends up like the Ullmark deal: main asset (in this case an asset better than #25) plus an expensive player that the other team is ok to move plus another mid asset.

SEA can't sign Swayman unless it's Grubauer going out instead of Daccord. They also wouldn't include Wright. Would be a lesser prospect.
MIN really can't take on salary so it's going to have to be equal cap in and cap out.
CGY?? Maybe but I think they'd need to be allowed to talk with Swayman to make sure they can sign him to a long term deal and not a 4 bridge.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
2019 Kuhlman/Backes was the best Sweeney offered for Krejci line as always. 2022 is true.

Bruins had just come off a big, blowout win in G6 and had G7 at home and all the momentum going into the game as well as the 1st period. They couldn't find a way to break thru and Rask ( who would have been the Conn Smythe winner ) failed to come up big when they needed him to keep the game scoreless.

Not all Cup winning teams have a perfect top 6. Florida last year had a guy who was a career 30-40 player in their top 6 and won it all. Same with Colorado. Sometimes it's up to the stars to perform and for the role players to step up.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They should talk to Chicago about a trade. Sweeney seems to get along well with their GM and they seem infatuated with ex-Bruins (Taylor Hall, Nick Foligno just named captain, Tyler Bertuzzi, Craig Smith, Pat Maroon).

And they have assets. Multiple 1sts and 2nds this year, good young center prospects, even a good young goalie prospect.

But why make a trade for less value than OS compensation? If Swayman wants a deal in the two firsts a second and a third OS compensation range let him go find it. I don’t see Chicago or Utah or any of these teams that have the space and need giving up multiple potential high lottery firsts.

Sure, there is a point where it gets too toxic but so often once the ink is dry everyone moves on.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You are not going to see that, if the Bruins liked that number they would have him signed, and I don't think they would, and I hope they wouldn't.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
But why make a trade for less value than OS compensation? If Swayman wants a deal in the two firsts a second and a third OS compensation range let him go find it. I don’t see Chicago or Utah or any of these teams that have the space and need giving up multiple potential high lottery firsts.

Sure, there is a point where it gets too toxic but so often once the ink is dry everyone moves on.
Say Utah finishes 10 and 11 overall with Swayman in two seasons .

But, Geekie, Hrabal and Nordh types are the return. That doesn't help Boston for a long time if at all.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Bruins had just come off a big, blowout win in G6 and had G7 at home and all the momentum going into the game as well as the 1st period. They couldn't find a way to break thru and Rask ( who would have been the Conn Smythe winner ) failed to come up big when they needed him to keep the game scoreless.

Not all Cup winning teams have a perfect top 6. Florida last year had a guy who was a career 30-40 player in their top 6 and won it all. Same with Colorado. Sometimes it's up to the stars to perform and for the role players to step up.
Not a great comp between those 2 teams.

Boston had Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Krejci and Debrusk. as the clear top 5, and I guess Heinen was the 6th best offensive F, and JDB and Heinen had 42 and 34 pts respectively. After that you had Kuraly, Backes and Wagner. w/ 21, 20 and 19.

Rodrigues didn't play in the top 6 the whole playoffs though he did at times. But they could do that because they could run 3 lines that could score. Game 6 against BOS-
Tarasenko-Barkov-Reinhart
Verhaeghe-Bennett-Tkachuk
Luosto-Lundell-Rodrigues

at least to start. If they were moving Rodrigues up it was because of injury (Bennett) or shuffling things up, from time to time, but that meant a true top 6 guy was moving down to the 3rd line. When Boston was moving up Kuhlman it wasn't because they were trying to spread out their wealth of offensive Fs, it's because they didn't have a wealth of offensive forwards.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Not a great comp between those 2 teams.

Boston had Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Krejci and Debrusk. as the clear top 5, and I guess Heinen was the 6th best offensive F, and JDB and Heinen had 42 and 34 pts respectively. After that you had Kuraly, Backes and Wagner. w/ 21, 20 and 19.

Rodrigues didn't play in the top 6 the whole playoffs though he did at times. But they could do that because they could run 3 lines that could score. Game 6 against BOS-
Tarasenko-Barkov-Reinhart
Verhaeghe-Bennett-Tkachuk
Luosto-Lundell-Rodrigues

at least to start. If they were moving Rodrigues up it was because of injury (Bennett) or shuffling things up, from time to time, but that meant a true top 6 guy was moving down to the 3rd line. When Boston was moving up Kuhlman it wasn't because they were trying to spread out their wealth of offensive Fs, it's because they didn't have a wealth of offensive forwards.

That's fair. It's not a mirror comp but the Bruins had the horses if coach had shuffled the lineup. One of the reasons why Cassidy deserves part of the blame of the '19 loss is that he seemed bullish on keeping Perfection together even though it was clear to everyone that the Blues were loading up on them. They could have spread the wealth out a little more and gone with

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Heinen

DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Pasta

MJ -- Coyle -- Kulhman/Backes

Kuraly -- Acciari -- Wagner

( I seem to recall Tarensenko on the third line and Rodregues up in the top 6 )

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
As a Swayman fan ( and the hope that he remains a lifetime Bruin ) I scoffed at the idea of but there is historical evidence of letting go of players that aren't on board with their program. Tough to admit but this could be a possible scenario.

I highly doubt any team is going to trade for him without a contract in place. The biggest problem is Sway can veto any trade by refusing to sign with the potential acquiring team.
If they do end up trading him we’ll probably be even less impressed with the return than we were with Ullmark’s.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that a restricted free agent cannot quash a trade deal. They have no power to do so.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
For the umptieth time, Swayman chose to take it to arbitration, not the Bruins.

Yes, but swayman chose to take them to arbitration because the Bruins couldn’t offer him a bridge deal due to being up against the cap from the bergy/krejci carryover bonuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad