Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If faced with the choice of not having Swayman this year or trading him for pieces that can help... that's a tough choice.

For example, a deal like Keller for Swayman with Utah. Doesn't have to be those names, it's just a suggestion for a framework. The other team doesn't have to have tons of cap space if it's a hockey trade.

WRT Chicago, they have multiple firsts so they can keep their lottery 1st and still offer a 1st in the deal. They could do an OS compensation package equivalent at $9.1m (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and still keep their own picks in the first and second rounds.
Not true - offer sheets have to be your own picks

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
That's more often how it goes - it was the Bruins who could have negotiated something longer term and avoided the adversarial positioning of arbitration. Swayman's number during negotiations was 4.8mil.

They give him 4 or 5 years at 5-6 and they'd be in a good spot right now and without the bad blood of the business.
The Bruins could have given him exactly what he wanted to ensure his feelings weren't hurt at any level, but thats not how it works. Other players have been in arbitration and have survived. Looking forward to seeing how Bussi and Korpi look early on.

Reactions: Over the volcano

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
That's more often how it goes - it was the Bruins who could have negotiated something longer term and avoided the adversarial positioning of arbitration. Swayman's number during negotiations was 4.8mil.

They give him 4 or 5 years at 5-6 and they'd be in a good spot right now and without the bad blood of the business.
Would you have salary dumped Coyle or Hampus in that scenario? Because we didn’t have that kind of space.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm beginning to think Sweeney saw this coming, hence the Trade for adding Korpisalo on top of Ottawa's 1st rd pick

I'm no fan of Sweeney but I think you're right, Sweeney anticipated that dealing with Gross would be difficult & wanted to be prepared for Swayman to not be around for the beginning of the season.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I'm no fan of Sweeney but I think you're right, Sweeney anticipated that dealing with Gross would be difficult & wanted to be prepared for Swayman to not be around for the beginning of the season.
I dunno about that plan. If it works out, its 4D chess but Korpi was horrid last season

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think the situation sucks. Sway was lights out. The ink should have been dry once Ullmark was moved. But him not chomping at the bit to be the #1 win a Vezina fight for the Cup be a leader after we traded his hug buddy is enough for me to do a 180 and say F him.

I don’t trust him to not regress big time after all the drama he’s chosen to create upon himself as well.
Could not agree more

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
People are obviously correct the arbitration process/the evidence the Bruins presented upset Swayman.

People are obviously wrong he couldn't handle the arbitration process. He responded by making the All Star team and being the best goalie in the playoffs.

Whether he was upset personally, professionally, or both it didn't matter, he responded like an absolute professional.

Reactions: Carbonated Puck

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I feel like your posts are a bit at odds with each other.

Goalies don't return a lot in general. Now we have a goalie that you think isn't the end of the world if they trade him AND they are at a barganing disadvantage since it's clear there are issues between the team and him so teams know you have to deal him (if we are presuming that they are looking to trade him). With those things in mind, you aren't going to get a "great" player.

You are going to get some package of prospects/picks and a cap dump.
I hear ya. That scenario is viable I suppose.
Being there is a shortage of goalies these days I think Swayman would being back a decent top 4 D or 2nd line winger. And Bruins would pay that guy less than the ego maniac Swayman is demanding. Freeing up some cap space.
I was impressed by Swayman......but he us not up there with Shesterkin, Vassy, Bob, Sorokin, Oettginger,etc. He just thinks he is.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I think the situation sucks. Sway was lights out. The ink should have been dry once Ullmark was moved. But him not chomping at the bit to be the #1 win a Vezina fight for the Cup be a leader after we traded his hug buddy is enough for me to do a 180 and say F him.

I don’t trust him to not regress big time after all the drama he’s chosen to create upon himself as well.
Yeah I'm really souring on the player. If he actually signs here he'll be one bad game away from being one of the most hated athletes in town.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
we will see if he's that.
All I'm saying it ain't rhe end of the world to lose a Jeremy Swayman.
This ain't Shesterkin we are talking about here.

If the bruins go from swayman/Ullmark to korpisalo/bussi…

Not even exaggerating that’s in contention to go from best goalie combo in the league to the worst.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
What trade scenarios would you like to see for Swayman if it comes down to it?

I'd like to see something around Keller and a 1st ( Bruins sending Swayman and Zacha to Arizona ).
I think we're adding the first if it's Swayman for Keller. I like that concept though. Maybe Swayman + Lysell + Geekie (I think Utah has his brother's rights) for Keller.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Id expect half that coming back
Yeah I don't see UTA dealing Keller, he's the face of their team. Would be 1 of Vejmelka or Ingram and one of their better prospects. I'd say But but (no pun intended) I don't think the B's are interested in Russians.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Would you have salary dumped Coyle or Hampus in that scenario? Because we didn’t have that kind of space.
Don't sign Geekie. Don't sign Lucic, JVR and Shattenkirk(not that these guys made a lot but the 200k you save on replacing each one adds up), waive Forbort- those changes fit the differences w/ Sway at his 2023-24 number and if they'd signed him for 6.

Last year:
Marchand-Zacha-Pasta
Debrusk-Coyle-Lysell
Brazeau-Poitras-Heinen
Laukko-Beecher-Boqvist
Brown
Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Peake
Wotherspoon

Could've also waived Gryz at the beginning of the year and see if someone takes him. Would they have been worse last year? Sure.

If that was the case they would've asked for Forsberg instead of Korpisalo. Lower salary, only 1 year and better goalie. Korpisalo was in this deal for one reason and it had nothing to do with Boston and everything to do with Ottawa wanting to get rid of the commitment to him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Don't sign Geekie. Don't sign Lucic, JVR and Shattenkirk(not that these guys made a lot but the 200k you save on replacing each one adds up), waive Forbort- those changes fit the differences w/ Sway at his 2023-24 number and if they'd signed him for 6.

Last year:
Marchand-Zacha-Pasta
Debrusk-Coyle-Lysell
Brazeau-Poitras-Heinen
Laukko-Beecher-Boqvist
Brown
Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Peake
Wotherspoon

Could've also waived Gryz at the beginning of the year and see if someone takes him. Would they have been worse last year? Sure.

If that was the case they would've asked for Forsberg instead of Korpisalo. Lower salary, only 1 year and better goalie.
Well…Brazeau and Boqvist weren’t even on the team to start the year. Wotherspoon also wasn’t on the team to start the year. Quite a leap - especially with Brazeau - to just place them in the starting lineup at the beginning of the year. Allowing yourself perfect hindsight.

Not as much as Peeke of course, since we traded for him in February.

And that’s all assuming Swayman would have wanted to lock in at that rate which is dubious at best.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
How could you say that? What if Swayman doesn’t like that number?
Well your right, I wouldn't sign him for that number, but just that it was close enough that it gives us a signing, and too be honest if he did refuse to sign at that number, Siberia is nice at in the middle of the winter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad