Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -UPDATE- neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Everyone wants more money
It can be about the money, but at the end of the day the players want insurance for their families and their childrens children. The Billionaire owners want return on the investment and to pinch every dollar of profit they can.

1 side: make sure my grandkids dont have to worry about money and that I will have my faculties and be able to enjoy their youth.
other side: a 500% profit margin is too small, lets make that 505%

America may not be an oligarchical society like Russia (in the sense that its out in the open) but we are 100% ruled by ultra rich families, the country has been broken by them. and the masses have been convinced by these billionaires and the ultra wealthy that its those below that are the problem for wanting more.

below them, below us it doesnt matter, the message has been started from the top and people drink it up. Thats the difference in a strike v a lockout to me.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
It can be about the money, but at the end of the day the players want insurance for their families and their childrens children. The Billionaire owners want return on the investment and to pinch every dollar of profit they can.

1 side: make sure my grandkids dont have to worry about money and that I will have my faculties and be able to enjoy their youth.

America may not be an oligarchical society like Russia (in the sense that its out in the open) but we are 100% ruled by ultra rich families, the country has been broken by them. and the masses have been convinced by these billionaires and the ultra wealthy that its those below that are the problem for wanting more.

below them, below us it doesnt matter, the message has been started from the top and people drink it up. Thats the difference in a strike v a lockout to me.

I don’t think this is about billionaires pinching; bruins will spend to the cap every year. I think this is about GM squeezing players to save cap room to improve the team.

I just don’t like the way Sweeney has handled this situation. Loses a vezina winner for nothing; brings back a far inferior backup for basically the same salary, then plays hardball with only remaining option. So incompetent

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don’t think this is about billionaires pinching; bruins will spend to the cap every year. I think this is about GM squeezing players to save cap room to improve the team.

I just don’t like the way Sweeney has handled this situation. Loses a vezina winner for nothing; brings back a far inferior backup for basically the same salary, then plays hardball with only remaining option. So incompetent
How do you know he’s playing hardball? What if he has a more than reasonable offer (8x$8M with trade and lockout protection for example) on the table and it’s Swayman’s camp playing hardball?

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

On a philosophical level, I get the argument.

That said I am not going to get up in arms for ultra rich owners or ultra rich athletes.

Neither are in a demographic that should be getting any of sympathy for lacking basic necessities or protections in life. It's ludicrous.

Neither side has much to gripe about in the present state. Therefore if it's a strike I will be livid with the players. If it is a lockout I will be livid with the owners.

We're not talking about forced labor in a 95 degree textile sweatshop in a city slum high rise with no fire escape ladders or sprinkler systems here.

We're talking about whether Owner X gets two Bugatti Veyron's and Player Y gets just one Bugatti Veyron or the other way around. Personally I don't give a shit either way.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
On a philosophical level, I get the argument.

That said I am not going to get up in arms for ultra rich owners or ultra rich athletes.

Neither are in a demographic that should be getting any of sympathy for lacking basic necessities or protections in life. It's ludicrous.

Neither side has much to gripe about in the present state. Therefore if it's a strike I will be livid with the players. If it is a lockout I will be livid with the owners.

We're not talking about forced labor in a 95 degree textile sweatshop in a city slum high rise with no fire escape ladders or sprinkler systems here.

We're talking about whether Owner X gets two Bugatti Veyron's and Player Y gets just one Bugatti Veyron or the other way around. Personally I don't give a shit either way.

Billionaires vs. millionaires.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
How do you know he’s playing hardball? What if he has a more than reasonable offer (8x$8M with trade and lockout protection for example) on the table and it’s Swayman’s camp playing hardball?
It’s the kind of thing he should have worked out long before blowing up the goalie tandem. If that was the case; you don’t move Ullmark for peanuts and bring back a guy that is a major downgrade from both. You keep the guy that is a 1A that strengthens your negotiating position with swayman and provides a really good plan B if swayman won’t be reasonable.
This isn’t that hard, Sweeney is just not good at this job.

Move Swayman for a 1C and let goalie Bob sprinkle his fairy dust on Korpisalo/Bussi.
lol, whose projected 1st overall draft pick next year? Maybe not a bad plan!

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Soooo, any Swayman news?

zzjs.jpeg

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It’s the kind of thing he should have worked out long before blowing up the goalie tandem. If that was the case; you don’t move Ullmark for peanuts and bring back a guy that is a major downgrade from both. You keep the guy that is a 1A that strengthens your negotiating position with swayman and provides a really good plan B if swayman won’t be reasonable.
This isn’t that hard, Sweeney is just not good at this job.

lol, whose projected 1st overall draft pick next year? Maybe not a bad plan!
This is silly. If he keeps Ullmark, he doesn’t get a first round pick this year and isn’t able to sign Zadorov or Lindholm without leaving no space for Swayman. And then when Ullmark updates his list, you have nowhere to trade him to. You only keep Ullmark if you’re trading Swayman.

The idea that just because Swayman hasn’t signed (along with every other significant RFA by the way) means Sweeney sucks at his job and has bungled this is incredibly ignorant.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire

the cap does two things:
1) allows rich owners to limit the salary of players
2) allows not as rich owners an opportunity to limit the salary of players and give them an opportunity to sign the best players.

The owners loves #1, limits payroll.
The league loves #2, keeps prospective owners interested in getting a franchise.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I don't think they listed where they heard it themselves

Pass.

This next one should go in the Funny thread. Scroll down and there's a rumor of Carlo, Beecher and a 2nd going to the Rags for Trouba and Rempke.

<insert facepalm>

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I listened to the John Scott podcast the other night. He was speculating between $8-9 million / year for 7 or 8 years.

Hope something gets done soon. Bruins only have about $8.6m in cap space (his numbers - not sure if they are accurate). I hope that enough room to get it done.

Makes that Korpisalo deal look worse as I think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad