OT: Paris 2024 Summer Olympics: Games of the XXXIII Olympiad

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Scottie gets the gold and Tommy the silver. What a collapse by Rahm. Man, wish we could see these guys got at it every weekend

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
IMG_2915.jpeg

Last edited:

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
US women win the last swimming event of the 2024 Olympics with a WR in the 4x100 medley.

US swimming finishes with 8G/13S/7B for 28 total medals. Most total medals and just edged out Australia (7 gold medals) for most gold.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

The Belgium team has withdrawn from the mixed triathlon because their female athlete is in the hospital being treated for e-coli after swimming in the women's triathlon in that cesspool that is the Seine river.

Great job France.
Can you provide a source showing she's sick with an E. coli infection other than a newspaper tweet? Belgium's official statement on the issue didn't specify the illness, and neither did articles from CNN or ABC.

I'll gladly laugh at the French, but I just want to be sure I'm laughing at them for the right things

Last edited:
Reactions: ellja3

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Can you provide a source showing she's sick with an E. coli infection other than a newspaper tweet? Belgium's official statement on the issue didn't specify the illness, and neither did articles from CNN or ABC.

I'll gladly laugh at the French, but I just want to be sure I'm laughing at them for the right things
I've seen it posted other places, but it's probably all originated from a European newspaper story. I also think there are more strict medical information rules regarding revealing specific conditions 'officially' for European countries. Not saying that's a case here and it would be speculation. Reading between the lines of the Belgium official statement they were mostly critical of the time delays.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Le Figaro is a very respected newspaper in France. I would think their reporting would be accurate.

Also, the article cites the Belgian press:

The Belgian press reports that Claire Michel, infected with E.Coli bacteria, has been hospitalized for four days. The national team withdraws from the mixed relay.

Edit: You're right, the Belgian statement doesn't identify the illness.

Last edited:
Reactions: DancingPanther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Le Figaro is a very respected newspaper in France. I would think their reporting would be accurate.

Also, the article cites the Belgian press:

The Belgian press reports that Claire Michel, infected with E.Coli bacteria, has been hospitalized for four days. The national team withdraws from the mixed relay.

Edit: You're right, the Belgian statement doesn't identify the illness.
"Press" could mean the Belgian Fox News for all I know. The French govt and Olympic committee has been testing those waters constantly and already postponed events. I'm not saying it's impossible (obviously it's very possible) but they've been watching the water quality like a hawk in their defense. Would be a hilarious shame if someone got sick swimming in it though.

Especially considering how pissed the average Frenchman is about this whole situation

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
So, Latvian 3x3 basketball team is in semis. The only two things I fear:

1) In the semi we might face France and in LV-FRA group game there were... interesting levels of referee favouritism for hosts
2) All the clutch/luck moments went our way in the group stage. All of them. Crazy buzzer beaters, opponents stepping marginally on line to make a 1pter instead of 2pter etc... Hopefully there's still some of that left.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Crazy how inconsistent Ferdinand Omanyala is though.

Guy runs a sub 9.85 basically every year and when big events come up? Cant break 10 seconds.

Lyles, Coleman, Thompson, Seville and Omanyala are for sure the fastest guys in the world... have been for ~3 years now. Yet every major championship Omanyala chokes.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The 100m final qualifiers ran between 9.80 and 9.93

Africa's emergence on the 100m scene in the last few years really has pushed level.

"only" 2 Africans in the final... but ELEVEN in the semi's and 8 of the fastest 30 men in the world this year are African.

basically in the last 3-4 years the whole continent has started producing 10 second runners, when historically basically only Nigeria and Ivory Coast had good 100m programmes, with South Africa providing the odd guy.

Ghana, Cameroon, Botswana, Kenya, Nigeria, Liberia, South Africa, Gambia, Uganda and Zimbabwe all have ~10 second guys.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Africa's emergence on the 100m scene in the last few years really has pushed level.

"only" 2 Africans in the final... but ELEVEN in the semi's and 8 of the fastest 30 men in the world this year are African.

basically in the last 3-4 years the whole continent has started producing 10 second runners, when historically basically only Nigeria and Ivory Coast had good 100m programmes, with South Africa providing the odd guy.

Ghana, Cameroon, Botswana, Kenya, Nigeria, Liberia, South Africa, Gambia, Uganda and Zimbabwe all have ~10 second guys.
Forgetting the name without looking him up, but I think there was a runner in the 90s from Africa who medaled in the 92 and 96 Olympics and he was like only the 2nd *EVER* to do it in the 100m from Africa with the first having been all the way back in like the 2nd or 3rd 'modern' Olympics.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Forgetting the name without looking him up, but I think there was a runner in the 90s from Africa who medaled in the 92 and 96 Olympics and he was like only the 2nd *EVER* to do it in the 100m from Africa with the first having been all the way back in like the 2nd or 3rd 'modern' Olympics.

Frankie Fredericks. What a monster.

Now that man was consistent aha. Basically top 3 at every event he ever entered. He just ran sub-10 on command.

And did it for so long... like 1991 to 2004.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00