Unpopular opinions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm sure this has been covered before in this thread, but youtube recommended some video about the 1999 finals and the crease rule, and I kind of realized that Brett Hull's goal was a good goal, perfectly legal by the rulebook at the time. He was outside of the crease when he kicked the rebound that came off Hasek to his stick, establishing new possession in which he carried the puck into the blue paint and scored. Seems open and shut to me.

And something I've always felt regarding that goal, none of the controversy would've happened if Brian Holzinger doesn't ole that shit. He just flies by and takes a tumble when locking sticks with Hull rather than clearing either the puck or the man.

Last edited:

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm sure this has been covered before in this thread, but youtube recommended some video about the 1999 finals and the crease rule, and I kind of realized that Brett Hull's goal was a good goal, perfectly legal by the rulebook at the time. He was outside of the crease when he kicked the rebound that came off Hasek, establishing new possession in which he carried the puck into the blue paint and scored. Seems open and shut to me.

And something I've always felt regarding that goal, none of the controversy would've happened if Brian Holzinger doesn't ole that shit. He just flies by and takes a tumble when locking sticks with Hull rather than clearing either the puck or the man.

And people bring up Gelinas' "goal" in Game Six of the 2004 Cup Final as if it would have definitely won the series...

The play didn't happen in OT. If a goal had been awarded, Tampa would have had a chance to tie the game.

Also, every time I see that play, it looks to me like he makes a kicking motion. Maybe goals are awarded in situations like that now, but I think that by 2004 rules, he makes a distinct kicking motion that propels the puck forward.

Reactions: McGarnagle

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And people bring up Gelinas' "goal" in Game Six of the 2004 Cup Final as if it would have definitely won the series...

The play didn't happen in OT. If a goal had been awarded, Tampa would have had a chance to tie the game.

This is much like Maple Leaf fans that have, for years, pretended that Kerry Fraser stole a series from them with a "missed call" on Wayne Gretzky.

If that penalty is called, the Maple Leafs don't automatically win the game.

If that penalty is called, it doesn't mean some other Los Angeles King other than Wayne Gretzky couldn't have scored.

That missed penalty call was in Game 6. The Maple Leafs still could have won Game 6 or Game 7, and they didn't.

Reactions: reckoning

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Skimmed through the last 20 pages kind of quickly and not sure if it's already been posted, but the best thing about hockey to me is the fighting, brawling, and violent play.

Sure, a close game between highly skilled, finesse teams can be entertaining, but I'd much rather watch the uglier games. The more fighting, the merrier.

I remember going to Danbury Trashers UHL games when I was in my teens. Non stop entertainment. Every game could go that way and I would never get bored.

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
From elsewhere on the forum, here's how I built my NHL 22 team (I used the Seattle Kraken since that was their first season)

Line 1: Keith Tkachuk - Eric Lindros - Me (I am a 92 overall but with 99 ratings in all physical categories and low discipline, basically a superstar goon)

Line 2: Wendel Clark - Bobby Clarke - Rick Tocchet. I have a weird rule where I only allow myself one created player, which is me. I wanted Tiger Williams at left wing and Dale Hunter at center, but neither of them are in the game. Clark and Clarke are close enough

Line 3: Bob Probert - Ken Linseman - Dave Schultz. Schultz is a left wing but I cheat and put him at right wing. He and Probert both have a decent scoring touch and obviously can beat the crap out of their opponents. I increased Schultz's aggressiveness, body checking, and fighting ability because the game had him far too low. How could the all time leader in single season PIM only have an 86 aggressiveness rating?

Line 4: Peter Worrell - Keith Acton - Scott Parker. I call Parker and Worrell the Bash Brothers. Thought it would be funny to have the chirpy little schmuck Acton flanked by two giants.

Defense Pairings:

Chris Pronger - Chris Chelios

Ken Daneyko - Rob Ramage

Bryan Marchment - Marty McSorley

Goalies: Eddie Belfour with Ron Hextall as the backup.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa

Also, every time I see that play, it looks to me like he makes a kicking motion. Maybe goals are awarded in situations like that now, but I think that by 2004 rules, he makes a distinct kicking motion that propels the puck forward.
A quick YouTube search here at work didn’t return the result I was looking for, but there’s a video from earlier that season of a goal being called back by Modin for pretty much that exact same motion. By 2004 standards it’s called back.

It’s interesting to read other boards where the users are generally younger and honestly, not as able to discern detail as a functioning person should be, because this non-goal has become a tall tale “caught a fish this big” story, each time someone wails it was in the details change to make it a game winner.

Reactions: DitchMarner

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
A quick YouTube search here at work didn’t return the result I was looking for, but there’s a video from earlier that season of a goal being called back by Modin for pretty much that exact same motion. By 2004 standards it’s called back.

It’s interesting to read other boards where the users are generally younger and honestly, not as able to discern detail as a functioning person should be, because this non-goal has become a tall tale “caught a fish this big” story, each time someone wails it was in the details change to make it a game winner.

Modin goal:

Gelinas goal:

As an older person, you should get some glasses. There is no way that is "pretty much the exact same" other than the puck went in the direction of net after making contact with a skate. Geliinas was clearly stopping and the puck hit his skate. He didn't have time to change the angle of his skate let alone try to kick at it.

If the puck was clearly over the line, it should have been a good goal.

Or in the spirit of the OP, is it your unpopular opinion that the Gelinas goal would not have counted?

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Modin goal:

Gelinas goal:

As an older person, you should get some glasses. There is no way that is "pretty much the exact same" other than the puck went in the direction of net after making contact with a skate. Geliinas was clearly stopping and the puck hit his skate. He didn't have time to change the angle of his skate let alone try to kick at it.

If the puck was clearly over the line, it should have been a good goal.

Or in the spirit of the OP, is it your unpopular opinion that the Gelinas goal would not have counted?

Hmm, that’s not the video I’ve seen before. Odd that there’s more than one fitting the same narrow criteria. I’ll try to find the one I’ve seen before when I’m home.

My opinion is that Gelinas’ non-goal (various 3D models have illustrated how it didn’t go in) shouldn’t have counted anyway due to how pucks off skates were called at the time. Pretty good case for Saprykin interfering with Khabibulin as well. No matter how you cut it, there’s no goal here.

Edit: the part you bolded you have wildly misinterpreted, as it references most folks missattention to detail like the time remaining, not in OT, etc that make this goal far from the “Cup winner” many remember it as. Given your other assumption on vision is incorrect you would perhaps be better served sticking to facts than trying to guess anything else.

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The Hockey News is still the touchstone publication for hockey. It slipped for a while, but around 2018 publisher Graeme Roustan purchased the magazine. Since then, content has both increased in both quantity and quality and the website is top notch. The archives are a trove like no other and the special issues (best of, etc.,) are great. If I had to limit my hockey input to one source, THN would be it.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
The Hockey News is still the touchstone publication for hockey. It slipped for a while, but around 2018 publisher Graeme Roustan purchased the magazine. Since then, content has both increased in both quantity and quality and the website is top notch. The archives are a trove like no other and the special issues (best of, etc.,) are great. If I had to limit my hockey input to one source, THN would be it.

My Best-Carey

Of all your takes, @frisco, this is what you went with? :)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

My Best-Carey

THN hasn't been relevant for that like 20 years.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

My Best-Carey

Wait. The Hockey news that said Kucherov is not a top 20 player before this past season? -That hockey news?!?

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Wait. The Hockey news that said Kucherov is not a top 20 player before this past season? -That hockey news?!?
Hey, it is an "unpopular opinion".

That being said, what other organization in all of sports comes out with 12 physical, hard copies a year including yearbook, fantasy, best of issues, entry draft guide, future watch, etc., all while maintaining a very good website and archives going back to 1947 for $30?

Yeah, you maybe could scour 25 different fly-by-nite internet blogs and possibly glean a lot of info in a hit or miss fashion but who has the time? Plus, half these sites close down the minute the web publisher gets an actual job that pays them money.

My Best-Carey

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The anagram of Cooperalls to Cool Aparels is almost the greatest anagram of all-time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad