Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This is silly. If he keeps Ullmark, he doesn’t get a first round pick this year and isn’t able to sign Zadorov or Lindholm without leaving no space for Swayman. And then when Ullmark updates his list, you have nowhere to trade him to. You only keep Ullmark if you’re trading Swayman.

The idea that just because Swayman hasn’t signed (along with every other significant RFA by the way) means Sweeney sucks at his job and has bungled this is incredibly ignorant.

Not true. They can be about $9m over the cap in the summer if they want. Plenty of time to address a whopping $2m difference between Korpisalo and Ullmark.

Don't sign Max Jones and go with someone else from PRO.
Waive/trade Peake and go with Wotherspoon and Regula as 6 & 7 (or sign any of a number of cheap guys as a #7 instead of Regula.)

It can be debated if Korpisalo + Peake would be better than Ullmark + Wotherspoon, but it's factually inaccurate to say that they wouldn't have room to sign Swayman.

Another solution would have been to not take back a bad contract.

Reactions: Gordoff and Number8

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not true. They can be about $9m over the cap in the summer if they want. Plenty of time to address a whopping $2m difference between Korpisalo and Ullmark.

Don't sign Max Jones and go with someone else from PRO.
Waive/trade Peake and go with Wotherspoon and Regula as 6 & 7 (or sign any of a number of cheap guys as a #7 instead of Regula.)

It can be debated if Korpisalo + Peake would be better than Ullmark + Wotherspoon, but it's factually inaccurate to say that they wouldn't have room to sign Swayman.

Another solution would have been to not take back a bad contract.
I mean sure - they could have traded Geekie or Zacha or Coyle too. But then doesn’t that bring back the same issue the was originally talked about - having no leverage because other teams know you have to make a deal?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I mean sure - they could have traded Geekie or Zacha or Coyle too. But then doesn’t that bring back the same issue the was originally talked about - having no leverage because other teams know you have to make a deal?
You claim someone makes a silly argument and call them ignorant...

and then you try to compare Zacha and Coyle to Max Jones and Andrew Peake.

You were either wrong about not fitting Swayman or you knew they could be over the cap but it didn't fit your argument. $2m at most doesn't require clearing $5m.

Simple math that even you and a Harvard grad should be able to figure out. I would've thought anyway. Maybe not.

Reactions: Gordoff and Pia8988

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You claim someone makes a silly argument and call them ignorant...

and then you try to compare Zacha and Coyle to Max Jones and Andrew Peake.

You were either wrong about not fitting Swayman or you knew they could be over the cap but it didn't fit your argument. $2m at most doesn't require clearing $5m.

Simple math that even you and a Harvard grad should be able to figure out. I would've thought anyway. Maybe not.
Ok. Walk me through how much cap not signing Max Jones saves you.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't see Swayman agreeing to a long-term deal unless he gets huge money, like something starting with an 8 at least. And that makes sense.

My bet is he's willing to sign for an AAV under 6 if it's only for 3-4 years, but the Bs don't want do that for obvious reasons.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I don't see Swayman agreeing to a long-term deal unless he gets huge money, like something starting with an 8 at least. And that makes sense.

My bet is he's willing to sign for an AAV under 6 if it's only for 3-4 years, but the Bs don't want do that for obvious reasons.
Just curious on why the B's would not do the 3-4 years at a reasonable deal? I think that's a risk they would take considering his work load to date.

Reactions: Gordoff

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Hell no.....
8x8.25 was my prediction months ago

People may not like it but after the Ullmark trade I think something starting with 8 became even more likely

at 8/8.25 I want more than 5 years I want the maximum contract length

To me the real questions are around
- no move coverage
- the allocation of base salary and signing bonus - a topic increasingly relevant with another potential lock-out looming in a couple of years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad