Player Discussion Conor Garland

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Glad to see him shooting. Shot and accuracy look good. He makes tons of chances for himself (with his linemates who deserve some credit) but he hasn’t been a very good finisher.

great video. hope he has a good year coming up. him on a line with dakota/bluger won at least 80 percent of the games last year when the first line wasnt even getting going. petey was awol. mainly boeser/miller/suter. and his line. i would like to see garland with petey for stretches, they did play well in some spurts last season as well.
I am really keen to see what Petey can do with size and speed on his line (aka debrusk). That should give him some space and force him into a more north south game.

Reactions: Coffees and David71

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Garland gives Vancouver strong even-strength minutes. This is something they need more of.

Actually, i think management noticed that too...because Interestingly, Sprong is also a strong ES chance/point producer per minute. AS WELL as Kiefer Sherwood. 27 points, in 68 games averaging 12 minutes a night and all of those points are even strength.

Keeping Garland, adding Sherwood and Sprong round out something this team was missing. Depth 5on5 guys who can deliver

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Garland gives Vancouver strong even-strength minutes. This is something they need more of.

Actually, i think management noticed that too...because Interestingly, Sprong is also a strong ES chance/point producer per minute. AS WELL as Kiefer Sherwood. 27 points, in 68 games averaging 12 minutes a night and all of those points are even strength.

Keeping Garland, adding Sherwood and Sprong round out something this team was missing. Depth 5on5 guys who can deliver
plus guyys who can put the puck in the net and not disappear for stretches.. ahem mikyevev lafftery, kuzmenko but thats because his defensive game wasnt good enough for tocheets system.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It doesn’t say where he lives, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he lives in Martha’s Vineyard. :laugh: (shooting location for Jaws). It seemed like he was alluding to it at one point, and it IS in Massachusetts.

Really enjoyed the insight into the mental shift the team had last season. Great to see some confidence in the step of players in a Canucks’ jersey once again.

Literally the first words of the video are "This is Scituate Harbor" which is in Scituate, MA.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I can't readily think of a player who I've disliked watching more while also knowing that he's good and effective. He plays like that one try-hard over-their-head player on every beer league team, except this play style somehow turns out to be bizarrely effective in the NHL for some unknowable reason. Can't not respect that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I can't readily think of a player who I've disliked watching more while also knowing that he's good and effective. He plays like that one try-hard over-their-head player on every beer league team, except this play style somehow turns out to be bizarrely effective in the NHL for some unknowable reason. Can't not respect that.

I find Garland fun to watch. He's a two-time QMJHL scoring champion (led CHL one year) so I have a hard time getting your bear league comparison.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I find Garland fun to watch. He's a two-time QMJHL scoring champion (led CHL one year) so I have a hard time getting your bear league comparison.

He skates around really fast, and when he's not on he often tends to skate the puck into the corners or traffic, and also does just kind of strange things in a way that resembles the one player on just about every beer league team who is probably a level up but tries to just out hustle everyone to make up for it and often just skates the puck real fast around the perimeter and then either throws it out front or tries a wrap around instead of making a good read or slowing the play down. That player is also often pretty useful and effective because they're so persistent, but is also just kind of annoying because it's 11pm on Thursday and the scouts aren't here.

I don't really understand the relevance of his CHL stats with regard to understanding the comparison, since he's a f***ing 50-point NHLer so I'm obviously not saying he's a beer league level talent. Like said beer-leaguer, though, Garland would be an absolute superstar a level down, but doesn't have it to be that guy in the show and makes up for it by just being relentless. Obviously credit and respect to him for finding a way, since it has to be tough to win the CHL scoring title and then get drafted in the 5th round, and - as I said before - he's obviously a good and effective player, but I don't personally enjoy watching his game.

Also, if we're getting silly here, he needs to get a custom helmet or something and find another N.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick Lang

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB

Reactions: Vector

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I find him entertaining to watch. A 5’6 guy who carries the puck a lot in the offensive zone and rarely gets hit is amazing. The fact he produces at a near 1st line rate at 5v5/60 is awesome.

I just love watching players who have great synergy so him and Joshua are definitely a joy to watch.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
His ability to hold onto the puck and control the game is a skillset that he seems to get constantly better at year by year.

He really buckled down and improved his play after getting stapled to the fourth line early in the season. Credit to him for buying into what RT was preaching. He obviously got some education on not just letting plays die in the corner. Now he gets in on the forecheck and then gets the puck on net.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He really buckled down and improved his play after getting stapled to the fourth line early in the season. Credit to him for buying into what RT was preaching. He obviously got some education on not just letting plays die in the corner. Now he gets in on the forecheck and then gets the puck on net.

I do think he has a bit of that Bieksa thing going on, where when he’s not totally on and it isn’t working he just looks like such a frustrating player.

Reactions: Nick Lang

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He skates around really fast, and when he's not on he often tends to skate the puck into the corners or traffic, and also does just kind of strange things in a way that resembles the one player on just about every beer league team who is probably a level up but tries to just out hustle everyone to make up for it and often just skates the puck real fast around the perimeter and then either throws it out front or tries a wrap around instead of making a good read or slowing the play down. That player is also often pretty useful and effective because they're so persistent, but is also just kind of annoying because it's 11pm on Thursday and the scouts aren't here.

I don't really understand the relevance of his CHL stats with regard to understanding the comparison, since he's a f***ing 50-point NHLer so I'm obviously not saying he's a beer league level talent. Like said beer-leaguer, though, Garland would be an absolute superstar a level down, but doesn't have it to be that guy in the show and makes up for it by just being relentless. Obviously credit and respect to him for finding a way, since it has to be tough to win the CHL scoring title and then get drafted in the 5th round, and - as I said before - he's obviously a good and effective player, but I don't personally enjoy watching his game.

Also, if we're getting silly here, he needs to get a custom helmet or something and find another N.

I disagree with you assessment.

Again, I don't get your beer league comparison. How is Garland playing like he's "over his head" and "tries to just out hustle everyone to make up for it?" Garland being a 50 point NHLer suggests he's at least above average.

Garland isn't the fastest skater and doesn't have an elite shot even by AHL standards. I posted his CHL stats to suggest that he isn't some low skill guy who is out hustling everyone to make up for it. To me, it should be apparent that he's very good and limited by his size and not playing over his head as if he wouldn't belong if he didn't out hustle everyone.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I disagree with you assessment.

Again, I don't get your beer league comparison. How is Garland playing like he's "over his head" and "tries to just out hustle everyone to make up for it?" Garland being a 50 point NHLer suggests he's at least above average.

Garland isn't the fastest skater and doesn't have an elite shot even by AHL standards. I posted his CHL stats to suggest that he isn't some low skill guy who is out hustling everyone to make up for it. To me, it should be apparent that he's very good and limited by his size and not playing over his head as if he wouldn't belong if he didn't out hustle everyone.

Oh, look! FAN has decided to misunderstand something and now they're breaking out the quotation marks and fixating on specific wording while ignoring the greater context. I cannot believe this is happening!!

Yes, obviously I understand that Garland is a good and effective player, since I explicitly said that in my original post. He also does weird stuff and falls into playing in a similar forward-forward-forward, don't-leave-the-end-gate-open-or-I-might-skate-halfway-to-Hope-with-it-before-I-notice style as the type of beer league player to which I'm making a stylistic comparison, and it isn't something I enjoy watching - although, as I clearly stated earlier, it obviously works for him somehow. I apologize that learning that I hold this opinion has kept you up at night. I do hope you will be able to overcome.

Keith Ballard as a Canuck also had a tendency to get playing this way with the puck as well, and he was obviously also an NHL player. IIRC, Mason Raymond when he was struggling, too. Someone look up their junior stats - quick!

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I understand the Mason Raymond comparison 100%, but the beer league thing seems odd to me. To me, those types of players are only frustrating on extremely high skill, structurally clinical/organized teams where the team's natural flow is constantly funneling chances (that this type of player may disrupt by being individualistic and tunnel-vision).

In the same way that Raymond on a fourth line is awesome, but throwing him in with prime Sedins as they work their magic tends to be disruptive in a bad way.

Not saying beer leagues can't play smart/organized, but wouldn't that apply more to the NHL than to beer leagues?

Do you maybe just mean frustrating as in you as a linemate can't get in on the play when they're trying to take everyone on single-handedly?

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad