Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Or backup goalies like Korpisalo.

Draisaitl will be a joke and never respected if he stays as 2nd fiddle to McDavid. Noone will respect him for that and Edmonton sucks these guys can't leave their houses without getting bothered by the locals.

His deal will be so big that they are fine getting cap space for him. They can sign 2 good players and use some of that money for McDavids extension. And get 1 more crack with him.
Yeah just like Malkin in Pittsburgh.:shakehead

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I hope Dr. Quincy doesn't mind my repurposing and reposting my reply from the Out of Town thread,

Not sure which team you would be dealing with here...

Letourneau + 2025 1st + Bussi for Askarov?

or

Swayman for 1st+Edstrom+Chrona? (Which I can't see being what you'd be advocating for)

But if they were going to be dealing for Askarov and then signing Swayman to a 7 or 8 year contract, Askarov wouldn't extend here like he did in SJ. He wanted out of NAS because they had committed long term to Saros.
They just drafted Dean Letourneau. I don't mean to be a jerk but they're not going to turn around and use him in a package to obtain goaltending help.

He is a long-term project who may or may not pan out. The Bruins should and likely will demonstrate the requisite patience to see what they have in this very intriguing young player.

As for Swayman, I am not one for predictions, but he will be signed.

A significant question is whether it will be a long-term deal or one which allows Swayman another crack at a huge payday.

The Bruins clearly believe they have their goaltender of the future (and the present).

But if they sign Swayman to a long-term contract, they will do so knowing he has never played more than 43 games in the regular season. He performed admirably, even brilliantly, in the playoffs. But, he will have to prove himself there, too.

For the record, I think he will be fine in that regard.

If it is a long-term deal with multiple millions and multiple years, don't be surprised if the price tag is a steep one. It's entirely possible that Jeremy could be signed for 9 million X eight years, or even more dough.

However, with the cap continuing to rise each season going forward, a deal like that may eventually prove a bargain, assuming Swayman lives up to his end of it. A contract like the one suggested above may well become the standard, not the exception, for elite (and not so elite) NHL goaltenders in future.

The other route, of course, is a relatively short-term deal that allows the Swayman camp to cash in on another hefty contract at the height of Jeremy's prime playing years.

My preference is for the former approach.

I would rather show Swayman faith in his abilities and leadership with a long-term contract. This would have the added benefit of locking up what we can reasonably assume will be one of the NHL's premiere goaltenders for the bulk of his career.

He's secure, and can concentrate on stopping the puck and becoming the leader and face of the team he is already growing into. The Bruins have their franchise goaltender, and don't have to worry about resigning Swayman for the foreseeable future.

Everyone, in theory, is happy.

Either way, the lad is going to get PAID.

Let's go.

Reactions: Dr Quincy and JAD

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah just like Malkin in Pittsburgh.:shakehead
Malkin won a cup quickly there. Totally different. Got one later in his career to justify staying put. Worst pro market in North America and you’re going to stay there your entire career to be a bridesmaid? It’s bad for him and the NHL as well if he doesn’t leave.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
The current CBA expires September 15 2026. I wonder how much impact that may have upon negotiations. What type of changes could take place to contact structures, cap, and such. Lockout protection. The Bruins have been burned in the past with changes to the CBA and lockouts. Typically Boston doesn't like to give lockout protection. Maybe someone could give some speculative possibilities as to what could happen with the CBA and how it could be influencing negotiations between Swayman's camp and the Bruins?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I am surprised I have not seen a thread on the main boards about the framework of a Draisaitl for Swayman deal. Two fanbases with dedicated groups of nervous nellies.

Reactions: GordonHowe

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
shit.gif

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Well my take has always been that 7 is too little and 9 is too much, so pay him 8 and be done with it. The question is who says no to 8, Sweeney or Swayman?

If Swayman wants 8 and Sweeney wants to pay him 6 then Sweeney’s at fault, and if Sweeney wants to pay him 8 and Swayman wants 10 then Swayman is at fault, and the question becomes does Sweeney go to 9. Or, as is more likely, the reality of the situation is completely different from what I just suggested. Who knows? Certainly not us.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
They don't mention term. If the Bruins are pushing for 8 years, he absolutely should be asking for 10 with the cap rising again.

Reactions: EverettMike

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think the $10m is BS. If that was the firm ask all along, it seems like we'd still have Ullmark and Sway would have been moved. Pay him that and you've got over 25% of the cap tied up in two guys, one of whom has not proved himself worthy of that kind of contract. Not to mention that Bruins don't have that space and would have to trade a roster player to make it without replacing said player. That is a fast track to Leafland. But, again, it's probably bullshit.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if $10m was the first number he threw out there, but under the assumption that it would come down.

If true it doesn’t make sense why it’s taken so long

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think the $10m is BS. If that was the firm ask all along, it seems like we'd still have Ullmark and Sway would have been moved. Pay him that and you've got over 25% of the cap tied up in two guys, one of whom has not proved himself worthy of that kind of contract. Not to mention that Bruins don't have that space and would have to trade a roster player to make it without replacing said player. That is a fast track to Leafland. But, again, it's probably bullshit.

He has proved himself. If you want to point to hasn't had a starter load. Well he doesn't control playing time. If the Bruins want to point to that, Jeremy should call up the NHLPA for hte Bruins intentionally sabotaging his negotiations.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Bingo, 10 was just the starting point knowing it would go down. Same way Im sure the team's first offer on the table started with a 6

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He has proved himself. If you want to point to hasn't had a starter load. Well he doesn't control playing time. If the Bruins want to point to that, Jeremy should call up the NHLPA for hte Bruins intentionally sabotaging his negotiations.

I will just have to disagree that he is deserving of being one of the highest paid goalies in the league at this point in his career.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I will just have to disagree that he is deserving of being one of the highest paid goalies in the league at this point in his career.
I just think it's all about term. Smartly he should want a 4 year deal lke Shesterkin signed when he was 26, but I'm sure the Bruins don't want him to go right into UFA..If they want max years they are going to have to pay the piper. Why would he leave money on the table years 5-8?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

On what grounds. The alternative is a 2 year deal in which Swayman now can leave

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
In what way?
He bought into the old way that players didn’t deserve fair money. He was one of the last holdout GM’s who followed his owner’s orders (fair enough, it’s his boss but you don’t HAVE to work for a given boss) while the rest of the League and GM’s moved on and got ahead. Pity, because we had some good teams then but never, it seems, the final pieces.

He also let his own personal bitterness get into negotiations. In fact he made it a personal battle with the players. And that hurt the team, as well as Harry’s legacy.

Good to great in the early days. Bitter and hurtful in the later days.

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad