Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I just think it's all about term. Smartly he should want a 4 year deal lke Shesterkin signed when he was 26, but I'm sure the Bruins don't want him to go right into UFA..If they want max years they are going to have to pay the piper. Why would he leave money on the table years 5-8?

It's a tough one for sure, and I think you are right, it's about the term (and the dollars related to term length).

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The grounds are that he wants to paid like Vasilevsky without accomplishing what Vasi has. If you think Sway is worth that right now, then you do. I do not. He may be someday and even someday soon, but not today.

Just led playoffs in save %. Guess the bum should learn to score some goals though.

Bruins should trade him. Don't need him. Korpi and Bussi can do just fine. By this same logic though. 95% of all Bruins are significantly overpaid.

Lindholm? f*** all
Zadorov? 3rd pairing D
ect

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I still think the biggest hang up is the 2026-27 season. I am assuming Swayman wants most of his salary paid that year on July1 as a bonus before the CBA ends on Sept 15. I'm sure there is some haggling over term and AAV but Jacobs (who most likely will want another lock out to suck more money out of whatever income source he can) has always been opposed to paying a salary in that manner as it removes the threat of a lock out to players being paid salary as a bonus.

Reactions: GordonHowe

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Draisaitl will be a joke and never respected if he stays as 2nd fiddle to McDavid. Noone will respect him for that and Edmonton sucks these guys can't leave their houses without getting bothered by the locals.

His deal will be so big that they are fine getting cap space for him. They can sign 2 good players and use some of that money for McDavids extension. And get 1 more crack with him.

Great idea, just a shame Edmonton doesn't have cap space for both Sway and Pasta to make that trade a reality. :sarcasm:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I really don't think it's unreasonable for him to ask for an AAV of 10 if the team wants an eight-year deal. (Not saying that means everyone should agree with him, Bruins management included.)

He'd be giving up huge potential value signing a long deal when the cap is going up.

As a premier player at a premier position, he'd also be foolish not to demand lockout protection. Why should my limited-time career earnings suffer because Jeremy Jacobs wants to only pay for half a season again?

Meanwhile, these are still humans, and Swayman was clearly bothered by what happened at his arbitration hearing. Forget wanting to do the Bruins any favors. He might specifically want to stick it to them now because he feels like they insulted him so they could save a few hundred thousand dollars before. "What's good for the goose...."

And if Swayman has told his agent "Get me the most money possible," his agent almost certainly turned around after they traded ullmark and said, "Actually, this higher number is where we're at." Moving Ullmark gave Swayman leverage and he might now be using it, much to the chagrin of Don Sweeney and Cam Neely.

Look, we don't really know anything. He might come in at an AAV of 7 for 8 years. Don Sweeney's single best trait as a GM is signing his star players to team-friendly deals. But that requires the player wanting to do something team-friendly. If Swayman doesn't want to do that---or actually wants to make sure the team really has to go beyond what it would like---this is going to drag on.

It's still not September 1st, my personal "okay maybe let's officially worry" date, so for me this is still nothing more than a thought exercise, but it's a good one during the dog days of the off-season.

Last edited:

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
No problem with Swayman asking for $10M in negotiations. The player always starts high, team starts low, and negotiations usually end up both meeting somewhere in the middle.

Sure, but did negotiations just begin yesterday? If Swayman came in high and Sweeney came in low, shouldn’t they have already met somewhere in the middle by now? Unless one, or both, of the parties won’t budge from their initial ask.

But who knows what the actual issues are. Could be term, could be signing bonuses, could be the way the deal is structured in general. Hell, could even be Taylor Swift tickets for all we know.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Just led playoffs in save %. Guess the bum should learn to score some goals though.

Bruins should trade him. Don't need him. Korpi and Bussi can do just fine. By this same logic though. 95% of all Bruins are significantly overpaid.

Lindholm? f*** all
Zadorov? 3rd pairing D
ect

Slow your roll player :laugh: It seems to me like you just want to argue and about shit I never said at that. Well, I think we understand our relative positions here, no need to keep it going.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I hope he signs soon. However, I think there is little stomach for a squabble from the fans in general over a million or two based on the economic situation across the continent and inflation, etc. I like Swayman and I hope he wins us a Cup. For sure he’s a gamer and plays with heart. But like most of the economics of the game over the last few years, I’m tuning it out as it surpasses, at times, the actual game played on the ice. Maybe I’m just getting old and remember when we didn’t know what anyone made.

Just my two cents 😜

Reactions: GordonHowe

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He bought into the old way that players didn’t deserve fair money. He was one of the last holdout GM’s who followed his owner’s orders (fair enough, it’s his boss but you don’t HAVE to work for a given boss) while the rest of the League and GM’s moved on and got ahead. Pity, because we had some good teams then but never, it seems, the final pieces.

He also let his own personal bitterness get into negotiations. In fact he made it a personal battle with the players. And that hurt the team, as well as Harry’s legacy.

Good to great in the early days. Bitter and hurtful in the later days.

The exact opposite.

He felt the players deserved fair money. But not more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad