Jeff Skinner: from 0 play off games to McDavid wing

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
And now he’ll score 40 and win a Cup. Should be a fun ride for Skinny Boy.
Skinner isnt a playoff player, good luck with that. In playoffs, Foegele would help you out more than skinner. I see skinner putting up some goals in regular season but due to physical play and high intensity and grind of playoffs, disappear like Mikheyev.

Slightly hilarious would be Savoie beating him out for this roster spot at third line wing.
And Oilers buying out skinner a second time to make cap room for Drai salary increase 😅

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Might be jumping the gun a bit. Hyman is a significantly better LW than Skinner. Maybe he plays with McDavid, but he could just as easily end up with Draisaitl or possibly even play like shit and get buried further down the lineup.
Moot point as Hyman plays RW on the Oilers. Same with Kane (both LH shots).

Nuge is the top LW (aside from PK or when they "load up" the top line with Drai, he rarely plays centre any more).

Other candidates at LW are Henrique and Holloway (both C as well).

So Skinner will definitely get his chances.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Skinner isnt a playoff player, good luck with that. In playoffs, Foegele would help you out more than skinner. I see skinner putting up some goals in regular season but due to physical play and high intensity and grind of playoffs, disappear like Mikheyev.

And Oilers buying out skinner a second time to make cap room for Drai salary increase 😅
Well you obviously know nothing about Foegeles playoff game. He’s a complete nothing in the playoffs 90% of the time. This year he was less nothing, cause he hurt us with dumb giveaways, passes to no where. Near the end of the playoffs he started contributing more, due to being gifted minutes next to McD.

Skinner doesn’t have a playoff reputation cause his team never gave him a chance to be in the playoffs. It remains to be seen what he can do in the playoffs. I don’t expect him to be a 2 way beast or physical at all. But if he brings scoring in the playoffs with his elite ability to navigate through tight spaces and score in tight spaces, that will be more than enough value to help the Oilers. Way more than what Foegele brought which is a bunch of ineffective and wasted energy.

Reactions: McDoused

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Well you obviously know nothing about Foegeles playoff game. He’s a complete nothing in the playoffs 90% of the time. This year he was less nothing, cause he hurt us with dumb giveaways, passes to no where. Near the end of the playoffs he started contributing more, due to being gifted minutes next to McD.

Skinner doesn’t have a playoff reputation cause his team never gave him a chance to be in the playoffs. It remains to be seen what he can do in the playoffs. I don’t expect him to be a 2 way beast or physical at all. But if he brings scoring in the playoffs with his elite ability to navigate through tight spaces and score in tight spaces, that will be more than enough value to help the Oilers. Way more than what Foegele brought which is a bunch of ineffective and wasted energy.
Oilers would have been better off signing a playoff warrior and a 200 foot player that hits like Debrusk instead of signing injury prone arvidsson and a soft and small player in skinner.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers would have been better off signing a playoff warrior and a 200 foot player that hits like Debrusk instead of signing injury prone arvidsson and a soft and small player in skinner.
Nah. Oilers would have been better off doing exactly what they did. Create a high production line 2 to go along with the high production line 1. Line 2 was a glaring weakness ALL year last year and continue into the playoffs, which is why bottom 6ers like Mcleod and Foegele were still being used next to Drai. They got some good and skilled players now to do that. They have their risks though, but the reward is immense if they pop off on a line with Drai.

Debrusk is a good player. No doubt he would have chose Edmonton over Vancouver and would have been a great Oiler. But at 5.5M he makes very little sense. I’ll take 3 upgrades over 2 which is what happens if we sign Debrusk.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Nah. Oilers would have been better off doing exactly what they did. Create a high production line 2 to go along with the high production line 1. Line 2 was a glaring weakness ALL year last year and continue into the playoffs, which is why bottom 6ers like Mcleod and Foegele were still being used next to Drai. They got some good and skilled players now to do that. They have their risks though, but the reward is immense if they pop off on a line with Drai.

Debrusk is a good player. No doubt he would have chose Edmonton over Vancouver and would have been a great Oiler. But at 5.5M he makes very little sense. I’ll take 3 upgrades over 2 which is what happens if we sign Debrusk.
I dont see it as 3 upgrades over 2 versus what player gives the team a better chance to win the cup. That would be like saying signing mikheyev and Beauvillier is better than signing Debrusk because its 2 upgrades versus 1

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I dont see it as 3 upgrades over 2 versus what player gives the team a better chance to win the cup. That would be like saying signing mikheyev and Beauvillier is better than signing Debrusk because its 2 upgrades versus 1
It’s 3 upgrades over 2 if all 3 players help the Cup Build. And for reasons already stated, the 2 wingers for Drai will help the Cup build. And Henrique at 3C is an upgrade over last year.

The problem with your example is that Mikheyev blows and is overpaid. Ditto with Beuvillier.

You’re also in for a rude awakening if you think Debrusk is a lock to improve the Nucks. There’s a reason Boston moved on, there’s a reason that he was always in and out of graces with Boston. He has consistency issues of his own. And in the much more toxic Vancouver market that could snowball into a bad contract situation. That said, I do like Debrusk as a player but at 5.5M with that term, and in that market, it carries a lot of risk.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Might be jumping the gun a bit. Hyman is a significantly better LW than Skinner. Maybe he plays with McDavid, but he could just as easily end up with Draisaitl or possibly even play like shit and get buried further down the lineup.
The actual best fir would be 3rd line winger... sad to say Jeff.

Nuge McDavid Hyman
Holloway Leon Arvidsson
Skinner Henrique Kane
Janmark Ryan Brown

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
It’s 3 upgrades over 2 if all 3 players help the Cup Build. And for reasons already stated, the 2 wingers for Drai will help the Cup build. And Henrique at 3C is an upgrade over last year.

The problem with your example is that Mikheyev blows and is overpaid. Ditto with Beuvillier.

You’re also in for a rude awakening if you think Debrusk is a lock to improve the Nucks. There’s a reason Boston moved on, there’s a reason that he was always in and out of graces with Boston. He has consistency issues of his own. And in the much more toxic Vancouver market that could snowball into a bad contract situation. That said, I do like Debrusk as a player but at 5.5M with that term, and in that market, it carries a lot of risk.
If you think DeBrusk is bad then what do you think of Skinner who had his contract bought out just so Oilers could give him a 1 year deal? Arvidsson is always injury prone and its why preds gave up on him, so that is 2 projects. Debrusk was not signed in Boston since they had to improve their D and their Center depth and had no money to sign him similar to how JT miller ended up being a Canuck for only a 1st round pick. Debrusk even at his low point is still a significant upgrade over no show Mikheyev that was getting 4 million to score 10 goals in regular season and 0 goals in playoffs. He also is an elite PKer and defensive player and helps replace Lindholm's 2 way game. The canucks added more sand paper in Sherwood and Heinen and their forward group is deeper and better than last years with possibility of players like Raty and Lekkermaki also competing and podkolzin developing more along with Hoglander. I think 5.5 mil is a very fair price for a 2 way 2nd line winger that gets 25 goals and the term doesnt hurt since he is only 27 years old. If you could have gotten a better winger than debrusk after Guentzel decided to sign elsewhere, let me know.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If you think DeBrusk is bad then what do you think of Skinner who had his contract bought out just so Oilers could give him a 1 year deal? Arvidsson is always injury prone and its why preds gave up on him, so that is 2 projects. Debrusk was not signed in Boston since they had to improve their D and their Center depth and had no money to sign him similar to how JT miller ended up being a Canuck for only a 1st round pick. Debrusk even at his low point is still a significant upgrade over no show Mikheyev that was getting 4 million to score 10 goals in regular season and 0 goals in playoffs. He also is an elite PKer and defensive player and helps replace Lindholm's 2 way game. The canucks added more sand paper in Sherwood and Heinen and their forward group is deeper and better than last years with possibility of players like Raty and Lekkermaki also competing and podkolzin developing more along with Hoglander. I think 5.5 mil is a very fair price for a 2 way 2nd line winger that gets 25 goals and the term doesnt hurt since he is only 27 years old. If you could have gotten a better winger than debrusk after Guentzel decided to sign elsewhere, let me know.
I never said he was bad, I said he’s not without his risks at that cap hit and that term. Just like Skinner and Arvie aren’t without risk.

I like my 5M+ wingers to be able to produce more than that. But the Oilers have a higher standard for winger quality. So you wouldn’t understand.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I never said he was bad, I said he’s not without his risks at that cap hit and that term. Just like Skinner and Arvie aren’t without risk.

I like my 5M+ wingers to be able to produce more than that. But the Oilers have a higher standard for winger quality. So you wouldn’t understand.
I think you are underrating Debrusk a lot. He hasnt had an elite offensive center like pettersson to give him passes. He played with Bergeron before but i consider Pettersson to be a better offensive player than Bergeron while Bergeron is elite 2 way selke winning center. But he still produced after Bergy was gone which shows how good he can be. He will be even better with Pettersson.DeBrusk could very well be the next Hyman. He is very underrated here it seems.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think you are underrating Debrusk a lot. He hasnt had an elite offensive center like pettersson to give him passes. He played with Bergeron before but i consider Pettersson to be a better offensive player than Bergeron while Bergeron is elite 2 way selke winning center. But he still produced after Bergy was gone which shows how good he can be. He will be even better with Pettersson.DeBrusk could very well be the next Hyman. He is very underrated here it seems.
He’s played with Pasta no? And pasta is better than Debrusk. I’d see how his production is with Pasta as a good analogue to how he’ll play with Petey. Unfortunately though, Petey is a no show in the playoffs, so it doesn’t do much for the Nucks when it matters.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
What an insane turn around for Jeff Skinner:

- bought out so he’s still getting paid from his old crazy contract
- another $3m a year to add to this
- from never competing in a post season to instantly getting on a contender
- from no real future in the league to becoming a winger on a line with the best player in the NHL
From zero play off success. Never won a round. Ripped by his own centerman.....to instant Stankey Cup contender playing g in a line with Connor McDavid.....
Zack Hyman!!
What an insane turn around.

He’s played with Pasta no? And pasta is better than Debrusk. I’d see how his production is with Pasta as a good analogue to how he’ll play with Petey. Unfortunately though, Petey is a no show in the playoffs, so it doesn’t do much for the Nucks when it matters.
Debrusk on the other hand brings his game up at play offs. As any leaf fan can attest to.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His plus minus on some very bad Buffalo teams is not that bad the last two years.

-2 this past year and +15 the year prior is respectable given that the Sabres are a perennial non-playoff team.

Sam Reinhart was -15 and -28 his last two years in Buffalo, Eichel was +9 and -11 in the last two full years he played there.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
His plus minus on some very bad Buffalo teams is not that bad the last two years.

-2 this past year and +15 the year prior is respectable given that the Sabres aren't close to the playoffs.

From the way people talk I was expecting like -20 every year, not the case.

Buffalo hasn’t been that bad the last two years though and he’s played a lot with Thompson and Tuch in offensive minutes. He’s bad defensively but has made up for it historically with his offense. If he’s what he’s been in his good years, he’ll be a solid addition, at least in the regular season. I think the concern is what happened in the second half last year and whether his defense/softness gets exposed more in the playoffs. But there’s not a lot of risk on a cheap, one year deal. They can always try to jettison him if it’s not working out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Buffalo hasn’t been that bad the last two years though and he’s played a lot with Thompson and Tuch in offensive minutes. He’s bad defensively but has made up for it historically with his offense. If he’s what he’s been in his good years, he’ll be a solid addition, at least in the regular season. I think the concern is what happened in the second half last year and whether his defense/softness gets exposed more in the playoffs. But there’s not a lot of risk on a cheap, one year deal. They can always try to jettison him if it’s not working out.

Can't really fault players for fading down the stretch in Buffalo, once you're into like year 6 of no playoffs and you've seen other guys bail out (Eichel, Reinhart) I imagine it's hard to really get up for games the same way.

Ad

Ad

Ad