News: Brandon Montour confirms turning down big offer from Toronto

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Hilarious reading Toronto fans slamming expansion Seattle who has as many series wins as the Leafs dating back to 2004 with only being in the league since 2021.

Here's a fun fact for Leaf Nation. 1931-32 is the last time your franchise has won 3 playoff rounds. All of your Stanley Cup victories are from a time in which the playoffs were just two rounds.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Pajama boys don’t even want Toronto anymore.

First ROR, then Skinner, now Montour. And I’m probably forgetting some.

You could saying it’s all about “winning”. And it is partly, but like I been saying for years the toxic Toronto media market is also a huge reason why players don’t want to play for the Leaf’s.
A lot of players change teams, Toronto signed multiple free agents. Skinner and Montour had a lot of teams interested. Why would you decide that they just wouldn't come to Toronto?

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
They have the same number of playoff series wins as Toronto in this millenia. What exactly makes the premier clown franchise in the NHL now that the Coyotes are gone have any more credibility than the Kraken?
To be fair and accurate, Toronto has more wins this millennium. They had a good run in 2001-2.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This . Contract is gonna age like milk . Guy had one great year and a bunch of meh …. No thanks . I might be in the minority but I take OEL at his price / term than Montour .
Montours deal is 2 years to long in length

But he was two tiers above OEL for the panthers on usage and value

Reg season he played 23.5 mins a game, vs OELs 18.5 mins a game

Playoffs Montour played 22:40 vs OELs 15:27

OEL was a niche depth player for the panthers on theur cup run, Kontour was their #2D after Forsling this year

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Pajama boys don’t even want Toronto anymore.

First ROR, then Skinner, now Montour. And I’m probably forgetting some.

You could saying it’s all about “winning”. And it is partly, but like I been saying for years the toxic Toronto media market is also a huge reason why players don’t want to play for the Leaf’s.
Strange pajama boy Chris tanev signed this year for sone reason.

If leafs overpay/over term a player they will still come

Our offer to montour had to be 5-5.5M as I cant see how we would fit him at 7M and still add Tanev who was Treliving only add of note this summer

Skinner went to a better contender with a better path to the WCF in the oilers, hes a career loser so he needed to bet his wagons on McDraiChard wagon and couldnt turn to the choker 4 in toronto

RoR not sure why he left tbh, he still says he liked toronto, but perhaps we offered him less term than he wanted or maybe the management drama last summer bummed him out

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
toronto is at the outside of their window looking in. the leafs can still win like washington did late into their window. i dont blame any free agent for passing on toronto, if the leafs dont win there is going to be a lot of finger pointing at everyone making big money.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Henrique said it during an interview after signing with the Oilers on the Oilers website. Chris Johnston said Skinner turned the leafs down in favour of the Oilers and Montour said it himself in an interview.

Strange pajama boy Chris tanev signed this year for sone reason.

If leafs overpay/over term a player they will still come

Our offer to montour had to be 5-5.5M as I cant see how we would fit him at 7M and still add Tanev who was Treliving only add of note this summer

Skinner went to a better contender with a better path to the WCF in the oilers, hes a career loser so he needed to bet his wagons on McDraiChard wagon and couldnt turn to the choker 4 in toronto

RoR not sure why he left tbh, he still says he liked toronto, but perhaps we offered him less term than he wanted or maybe the management drama last summer bummed him out
Pj boy Tanev signed because no one else offered that term or cash. ROR deposed the spotlight and left because he wanted to just play hockey and go home and no answer endless questions in the media.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Henrique said it during an interview after signing with the Oilers on the Oilers website. Chris Johnston said Skinner turned the leafs down in favour of the Oilers and Montour said it himself in an interview.

Pj boy Tanev signed because no one else offered that term or cash. ROR deposed the spotlight and left because he wanted to just play hockey and go home and no answer endless questions in the media.
All of them said that they had talks with other teams including the Leafs, but none of them said that they had rejected contracts from any other team or that one was offered, but certainly of all the teams taht were interested in their services they quite obviously signed with the teams they signed with.

Reactions: Voight

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
All of them said that they had talks with other teams including the Leafs, but none of them said that they had rejected contracts from any other team or that one was offered, but certainly of all the teams taht were interested in their services they quite obviously signed with the teams they signed with.
Paint it however you want, the leafs failed to attract them.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
why would players want to play with the leafs right now anyways? maybe a few years ago or like 5 years ago sure. but its been like a decade with this core and pure failure. sure great offseasons, lots of money to be made here but they prove time and time again they cant get the job done. till Matthews turns that around. if your a big name player, why would you wanna come here?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Honestly, good for Toronto. This makes up for the time Clarkson chose them instead of Edmonton.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Montours deal is 2 years to long in length

But he was two tiers above OEL for the panthers on usage and value

Reg season he played 23.5 mins a game, vs OELs 18.5 mins a game

Playoffs Montour played 22:40 vs OELs 15:27

OEL was a niche depth player for the panthers on theur cup run, Kontour was their #2D after Forsling this year
I understand all this. I’m not saying OEL is better ; I’m saying I’d rather him for 3 years at half the cap hit for less than half the length of time . I like the contract better . And for the record I don’t love contract ; which should speak to my non belief in Montour as a 7 million dollar guy long term .

Reactions: hamzarocks

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
From a TOR POV, absolutely not. Everyone knows Tanev is LTIRetiring halfway through that deal. The Montour deal will be horrible for the better part of a decade.

I honestly don’t even think Montour is worth 7 next year. He was playing on a pretty decent team, so his points will likely go down and his defence was never a strong point.

This all comes back down to whiffed trades and drafts. You will never fix your issues and build a champion through free agency

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad