Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Vancouver's not that great to be honest. It's pretty overrated and way too expensive. You can go the beach and the mountains but who actually has time when youre trying to survive. I also find people in Edmonton a lot nicer in general.

I go to Vancouver a fair bit for business, and I couldn't agree more. The people suck (as reflected by their fans), the weather is rainy most of the year, and it's impossible to live anywhere non-shitty or non-small unless you're pulling $500k+ per year. I am friends with a couple there that are pretty successful people. Probably make in the range of $400k/yr household income. They rent a 800 sq. ft. condo downtown, and pretty much have no choice but to live downtown due to work. In Edmonton they are probably comfortably owning a really nice home in one of the best neighbourhoods in the city.

The beach is fun in the summer and the mountains are nice. Can't think of a single other redeeming quality. More good restaurants than Edmonton if I had to stretch to find another one, but even then those seem to often be impossible to get into unless you made a reservation days earlier.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I go to Vancouver a fair bit for business, and I couldn't agree more. The people suck (as reflected by their fans), the weather is rainy most of the year, and it's impossible to live anywhere non-shitty or non-small unless you're pulling $500k+ per year. I am friends with a couple there that are pretty successful people. Probably make in the range of $400k/yr household income. They rent a 800 sq. ft. condo downtown, and pretty much have no choice but to live downtown due to work. In Edmonton they are probably comfortably owning a really nice home in one of the best neighbourhoods in the city.

The beach is fun in the summer and the mountains are nice. Can't think of a single other redeeming quality. More good restaurants than Edmonton if I had to stretch to find another one, but even then those seem to often be impossible to get into unless you made a reservation days earlier.
Maybe it's because I was born and raised here, but I rather the busy summer working and being able to afford to actually afford food then live somewhere that's nice but I'm eating Ramen soup from the dollar store everyday.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Maybe it's because I was born and raised here, but I rather the busy summer working and being able to afford to actually afford food then live somewhere that's nice but I'm eating Ramen soup from the dollar store everyday.

The shine of the beach and mountains would go away fast if I had to go home to a 500sq ft one bedroom for $2,500/month at the end of the night.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I can't say I am surprised but Leon signing the other day ruined the chance of any joy the Flames faithful had in the upcoming year. What a bunch of clowns. If they only realized the pain is just beginning....BOHICA!!

I'll give these guys credit actually. For Flame fans this analysis wasn't all that stupid.

They must have finally made it to the acceptance stage down there.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I'll give these guys credit actually. For Flame fans this analysis wasn't all that stupid.

They must have finally made it to the acceptance stage down there.
I think it was the first bit that got me, where they were hoping Draisaitl and McDavid wouldn't sign so we would be in the same boat as them. Misery loves company as they say....So happy that isn't the case.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The Canucks have the worst fan base, and its not close either. I don't claim to know why that is, but there is no questioning that its the truth. Toronto fans are bad, but are at least fairly knowledgeable about hockey. Toronto fans just suffer from the idea that everybody wants to play there. Calgary fans are actually perfectly fine and know their hockey really well, same for Winnipeg and Montreal fans. Haven't had many interactions with Ottawa fans, so don't have an opinion on them. But.... HOLY SHIT, are Vancouver fans terrible. They are cocky, which is hilarious given the history of the team. They have almost no hockey knowledge it seems, an almost unbelievable lack of knowledge for a Canadian market. They have the same depth of understanding of the game that Tampa Bay fans seem to have, and that's not a compliment. They talk shit, and are super aggressive, which is beyond hilarious given the two prior points.

By far the worst fan base in the league, BY FAR.
You would dislike to fans more if they were closer.

My opinion on disliking groups of people, is that I know there are a lot of good people in the group also. You shouldn’t let the bad oiler fans represent you either.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Of all the ridiculous things they do, and it is a very, very long list, the worst might be how they default to lines of attack that have nothing to do with hockey as a starting point. How shitty every other city is relative to Vancouver is where they go every single time. I think that they think it's a burn that nobody can clap back on, but they don't seem to grasp that there actually aren't a hell of a lot of people that would even want to live there at the moment that live outside of BC. I know people from there that live in rural Alberta communities (aka worse than Edmonton) that say they wouldn't move back there even if someone put a gun to their head. Who wouldn't want to spank $1M on a three bedroom bungalow for the pleasure of living in Surrey?

They really, truly think it's a flex, but it just makes them look dumber than they already do. Been that way for a long time too, still remember those fools boasting about how Vancouver was "the most livable city in the world" 15 years ago as if literally anyone gives a f***.

It is a very beautiful city geographical wise. But I would never want to live there. Have been there enough to know that their depressing weather and traffic congestion would do me in.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The price tag was big but I am still very happy to have Leon for another 8 years. I think all us long time Oilers fans are happy to see some star players staying with the team and signing long term contracts wanting to be in Edmonton wanting to be a Oiler. If you go through the history of the Oilers we lost so many stars because of the big money from other franchises. Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Weight, Moog, Pronger. Now we got Nuge, Leon and probably McDavid for their whole careers. It's a good time to be a Oiler fan! Now we just need to get that elusive 6th cup to make everything right in the universe.

Last edited:

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Mcd and drai are two players that I am in the just sign as long as they will go for whatever they want.

Worst case at the end of their career we have to put them on the same line and watch them still be amazing till their bodies or desire to play say they are done.

But till then we get to watch the most amazing hockey. Cups are a total bonus. But not that we are signed we can put to bed the whole idea that we better win right now or they will run to another team that will win. It is hard to win on any team and they love being here so just enjoy the amazing games

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I can't say I am surprised but Leon signing the other day ruined the chance of any joy the Flames faithful had in the upcoming year. What a bunch of clowns. If they only realized the pain is just beginning....BOHICA!!

I'm shocked that people outside Edmonton really thought Drai was ever leaving....there has never been any indication he was unhappy, nor hated his situation ...his best friend is McDavid and they were on the cusp of winning it all

hilarious...that they look so defeated in that video LOL

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm shocked that people outside Edmonton really thought Drai was ever leaving....there has never been any indication he was unhappy, nor hated his situation ...his best friend is McDavid and they were on the cusp of winning it all

I don't think that many of them truly thought that they would leave, it was more a projection of what they really, really, really hoped would happen.

It is pretty sweet in the context of anybody of any ability bailing on Calgary at the first opportunity combined with the Leaf players that seem much more interested in maximizing earnings than winning anything.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I watched about 5 minutes of this before the page refreshed and I lost the video. First time I was ever grateful for that. I felt dumber after every minute. Watching these morons trying to do math was the best part.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

These guys actually got me extra pumped on the Oilers. Like yeah we’ve got a bunch of players over 30 but they’re only on the books for 1-2 years and we’ll just get new players in a couple years, really not a concern.

Their point about Drai being stupid for taking 8 years instead of a 3 year deal is brain dead. If he signed elsewhere he’d have to make 16 minimum to match what the Oilers gave him. So even if the cap goes up in a few years he’d have to make more than 16 mil and he’d be in his 30’s, and there’s the risk that he could decline.

Drai is just meant to be an Oiler, Oilers took care of Drai and he committed. Mcdavid is next and I’ll enjoy watching the barn burners cry again.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Do you think McDavid is going to take the same amount? I don’t, but I’ve been wrong before.
The team has had about 1 hometown discount going back decades. RNH and I can't think of the last one before him. Anyone? Getting McDavid for the same deal as this one is far from what we should expect. But I'm totally cool with that because worst case ontario we would get to watch the best player in the world on a cap crippled midrange team.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Lmao what is this motley crew...

Left: Poor man's Mike Smith
Middle: Grade 1 math champion, "1 year and 8 more...*computing*...that's almost a decade"
Right: Bob McClown

It's like they have three brain cells but discount Mike Smith is hogging them all. The idiot in the right looks like he thinks wearing the sunglasses for radio/podcast is what actually makes a talk show host. Forgot to plagiarize the important parts of the Schick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad