Value of: Jeff Petry (with or without retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Guy asked for a trade last year out of Montreal. My guess is he is not thrilled going back.

Montreal ideally wants to get under the cap before season starts so they can put Price on LTIR after the beginning of the season and avoid the complications of putting him LTIR during the offseason.

What kind of value would Petry have at its full current salary for 2 more years (4,7 millions) vs with retention up to 50% (2,35 millions)?

Reactions: HabsQC

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Pittsburgh just spent 6 weeks trying to move him and had to pay for someone to take him. He’s there for two years unless something crazy happens.
That was with his full cap hit. If Habs retain 50%, he's down to 2.34 M per year for 2 seasons. We can also take back a contract. There is clearly a path to a deal somewhere and Dallas is the best candidate in my view.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
habs probably need to retain more to get a buyer. right now maybe a 3rd. the habs should wait til the deadline.

Reactions: Devonator

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Pittsburgh just spent 6 weeks trying to move him and had to pay for someone to take him. He’s there for two years unless something crazy happens.
Even at 3,5 millions? Montreal would still save about 3,5 millions, and could get close to under the cap if it trades one of the goalies.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
That was with his full cap hit. If Habs retain 50%, he's down to 2.34 M per year for 2 seasons. We can also take back a contract. There is clearly a path to a deal somewhere and Dallas is the best candidate in my view.

He wants to stay in the east close to Detroit no? I'd assume that the 15 team on his NTC are in the west. Well I guess Dallas could be the one western conference team not on it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He wants to stay in the east close to Detroit no? I'd assume that the 15 team on his NTC are in the west. Well I guess Dallas could be the one western conference team not on it.

I assumed that Petry's NTC would definitely include Montreal but it didn't, so I'm not going to make any more assumptions about Petry's NTC :laugh:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Keep him in the lineup for now and wait until the trade deadline and deal him at 50% retained.

At 2.34 million most playoff teams will be able to afford him under their cap. Plus these teams would have a better idea on what their cap looks like for next year.

Right now at his full cap hit he has little to no value unless the Habs take a bad contract back in return. Not many teams have close to 5 million in cap space for him at the moment.

Reactions: Nevins

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think age is finally catching up with him, but he's still a capable middle pairing guy. 25% already retained. 2023-24 signing bonus paid. If Montreal retain 25% he's a $3.125 million player. If Montreal retains the max, he's two and change. Either scenario presents value to teams still looking to fill a void. Obviously the value has the chance to go up the closer you get to the deadline. I don't know if Jeff is willing to be flexible on his ntc, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think Petry at full salary would have mediocre value right now just due to the current cap situation with most teams. But if they retained 50% on his deal, they're definitely getting at least 2 2nds in value back for him. Petry at $2.3 million is a hell of a value.
I agree - i can't imagine Petry will play the entire season with the Habs. I expect he will get flipped at 50% retention for picks. Habs have plenty of capspace (over 6M) to work with. I also see the Habs flipping DeSmith / Montembault once a team gets into goaltender trouble.

Can't believe Petry waived his NTC for Montreal. WTF.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The idea is Montreal needs to shed ideally about 5 millions before the start of this season.

Saying to wait for the deadline doesn't work.

Maybe to Arizona for a late pick? They certainly could unlock more value at the deadline. Only problem is the NTC.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I agree - i can't imagine Petry will play the entire season with the Habs. I expect he will get flipped at 50% retention for picks. Habs have plenty of capspace (over 6M) to work with. I also see the Habs flipping DeSmith / Montembault once a team gets into goaltender trouble.

Can't believe Petry waived his NTC for Montreal. WTF.
Maybe, he can't get enough poutine?

Reactions: TheStatican

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Petry would’ve been given a promise (by Montreal) that he’s not going anywhere, just to agree to this trade. So unless that deal happens today, and was always part of this, with his blessing, he’s playing in Montreal for the next 2 seasons.

The only way he agrees to another trade, for the 3rd time in 3 years, is if he’s having such a horrible time in Montreal, and at that point he won’t be worth anything anyway.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't think they care that much about using LTIR to the max for this season. They'll make a trade to get the best asset possible here.
Agreed, Habs have tons of cap to work with. They will have ~6.5M in cap once they trim down to the roster size (e.g. Wideman waived and in Laval and another young dman starting in Laval). And that includes Petry. Getting rid of Hoffman was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad