Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
The Habs are not in a terrible situation. The Sens are. Our Gallagher and under age group is solid. We had two very good drafts in 2017 and 2018 as well. It might take 2 or 3 years before you see the Habs re-surface but it's not going to be 10 years of misery like the Leafs. Price/Weber/Gallagher can lead a youth movement.

Well at least their ownership situation is much worse than habs’ and it’s not to the point where people would laugh them off, more like they would pity them for what they are going through. I mean they didn’t trade Karlsson because he wasn’t an Ottawa native and couldn’t speak french. Lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well at least their ownership situation is much worse than habs’ and it’s not to the point where people would laugh them off, more like they would pity them for what they are going through. I mean they didn’t trade Karlsson because he wasn’t an Ottawa native and couldn’t speak french. Lol

Our GM has made some questionable moves in the last 2 years for sure. However, he has not mortgaged our future. A lot of Habs fans wanted us to do the Sergachev, 2017 1st and more for Duchene. Imagine, We have Duchene as a pending UFA and no Sergachev or Poehling.

Habs have all our future picks and we have done very well in the last few drafts. It takes time for these kids to grow and mature into NHL players.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Our GM has made some questionable moves in the last 2 years for sure. However, he has not mortgaged our future. A lot of Habs fans wanted us to do the Sergachev, 2017 1st and more for Duchene. Imagine, We have Duchene as a pending UFA and no Sergachev or Poehling.

Let’s hope it pans out for you.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let’s hope it pans out for you.

I don't believe in the Pens rebuild model. Oilers tried it and they still have plenty of missing holes. Leafs had a few good draft years and it was topped off with a lottery win. You didn't plan for 10 years of misery. Nobody plans for this.

Good luck with your attempts on improving the D. Zaitsev needs a rebound year and you need another solid year from Hainsey (Age 37 this year?). Gardner also needs to shake off the monkey on his back as well.

I'm listening if you want Petry but it's a 1st and one of Liljgren or Sandin and a conditional 2nd if you reach a cup final. Too steep? Good luck with other options.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Look at how bad our year was last year and we got the 3rd pick and missed on Dahlin. Huges or Lafreniere would be awesome but I'm not banking on it. All I want is more top 5 or top 10 picks in the next two draft years.
last year is probably a good test case - if you had the same luck as you did but had finished last, Dahlin would be a Hab. The odds of winning one get pretty good if you bottom out for a few years, so that's where my sights would be set if I was a Hab fan (and where they were until the year we finally did it as a Leafs fan). I would try really hard for top 5 for the next couple of years, there's some very high end talent beyond Hughes & Lafreniere too

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
last year is probably a good test case - if you had the same luck as you did but had finished last, Dahlin would be a Hab. The odds of winning one get pretty good if you bottom out for a few years, so that's where my sights would be set if I was a Hab fan (and where they were until the year we finally did it as a Leafs fan). I would try really hard for top 5 for the next couple of years, there's some very high end talent beyond Hughes & Lafreniere too

The odds are not good even if you finish last. You have a 80% chance at losing the lottery if you are lucky and finish last

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not so sure. Dubas traded down cause his scouts said there were several guys they were interested who has similar talent. Sorry, A spare parts deal is not going to get you Petry. You need to consider the Habs needs if you want to spark interest.

Petry for 2019 1st and one of Liljegren or Sandin. I'd add a 2nd round pick conditional pick if you reach a Stanley cup final in the next 3 years.

Petry is staying with the Habs if you don't want to offer a serious futures package. I have no interest in Ransenen or Bracco. They don't address our needs.
Dubas was the GM of the Sault Grey Hounds, he still follows them closely...he really like Sandin, hard not to like a kid who in his 1st year playing in Canada gets 45 points in 51 games and is a +35.

And i'm not bashing Petry, i just don't think he's going to land a "serious" futures package...but hey, i've been wrong before.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

I'm not saying we should've done that (Sergachev alone would've been a huge asset to send out for two years of Duchene) but if we got Duchene then, we might be looking at a severely different 2017-18 season and expectations for the upcoming season. A guy like him really was that big of a need.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I don't believe in the Pens rebuild model. Oilers tried it and they still have plenty of missing holes. Leafs had a few good draft years and it was topped off with a lottery win. You didn't plan for 10 years of misery. Nobody plans for this.

For all that to happen they had to take underpayment for Kessel and get rid of Phaneuf as well as making Horachek a coach for half a season. It has to start somewhere and without the start you will be in the same limbo we were in a couple of seasons ago. I wouldn’t compare MTL and EDM though since EDM is the cornerstone of laughingstocks. Even with so many first rounders not to mention the best player in the league they still find a way to bottom it out.

I have no words for that team. I can only sympathize with McD and laugh.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not saying we should've done that (Sergachev alone would've been a huge asset to send out for two years of Duchene) but if we got Duchene then, we might be looking at a severely different 2017-18 season and expectations for the upcoming season. A guy like him really was that big of a need.

Honestly, how far do think we go with Duchene at center in the 2017 NHL playoffs?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For all that to happen they had to take underpayment for Kessel and get rid of Phaneuf as well as making Horachek a coach for half a season. It has to start somewhere and without the start you will be in the same limbo we were in a couple of seasons ago. I wouldn’t compare MTL and EDM though since EDM is the cornerstone of laughingstocks. Even with so many first rounders not to mention the best player in the league they still find a way to bottom it out.

I have no words for that team. I can only sympathize with McD and laugh.

It's easy to unload Kessel and Phaneuf for bags of pucks when you go through what the Leafs went through in all those years. Habs will entertain selling Patch, Byron, and Petry (or at least I would), but were not planing on being a bottom 5 team for 5 or 10 years. We still have Price and Weber who are on the right side of 35

Reactions: Chr1s97

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the odds get pretty good if you're bottom 3 for 3-4 years though, and even missing by a pick or two tends to net you premier talent

It's hope. I rater just draft well. There is plenty of top 5 or top 10 talent in pretty much every draft year. I'm not on the tank and win lotteries bandwagon as my only plan. It's a fools plan. Finishing last is not as easy as you think. You need a much worse roster vs what the Habs have at the moment. Top 5 or top 10 picks is a reachable goal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well I'm pretty sure we could've beat the Rangers and Sens with him.

Would that be success? Should't the goal be to build a roster that can be a cup contender, not a cup pretender? Building a cup contender through trades is a fools game. You need a cup contender first and then make trades to fill holes. Which is why this thread is created. Leafs are a cup contender and they need a solid piece at RD.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The Habs are not in a terrible situation. The Sens are. Our Gallagher and under age group is solid. We had two very good drafts in 2017 and 2018 as well. It might take 2 or 3 years before you see the Habs re-surface but it's not going to be 10 years of misery like the Leafs. Price/Weber/Gallagher can lead a youth movement.

Gallagher, Drouin, Domi, Lehkonen, Danault, Scherbak, DLR, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Mete, Juulsen, Primeau, Ylonen, Olofsson, Romanov, Brook, Fleury, Ikonen is a solid mid 20's and under core (to name a few). Back this up with Price and Weber and more picks in the next two drafts. Were not doomed.

We had 12 top 100 picks in the last two drafts. It's a big deal.

Come on man outside of Drouin and Kotkaniemi, there is no forward in the system with first line potential and even those two are unlikely to get to that point. I would also say Mete has an outside chance of becoming a #2, but other than that it just looks like #3/4 D. There's definitely some good players on the way but IMO (and there's always chance a recent draft pick develops way better than expected and reaches this level but I doubt it) there's no franchise or even elite level talent in the system. You need superstars to win and I think another couple years trying to tank is the only way

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
if the intention is to bottom out, why do you need Weber back before you deal Petry? Having neither of them in the lineup makes you a worse team than having either of them

Can't afford to throw Juulsen and Mete into the fire so soon. If Petry is dealt before the season the opening D pairs look something like this:

Mete-Alzner
Schlemko-Juulsen
Reilly-Lernout/Benn/Ouellette

Need to wait until at least November/December to ease the young guys in a little bit and inch towards a Weber return

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Come on man outside of Drouin and Kotkaniemi, there is no forward in the system with first line potential and even those two are unlikely to get to that point. I would also say Mete has an outside chance of becoming a #2, but other than that it just looks like #3/4 D. There's definitely some good players on the way but IMO (and there's always chance a recent draft pick develops way better than expected and reaches this level but I doubt it) there's no franchise or even elite level talent in the system. You need superstars to win and I think another couple years trying to tank is the only way

Well you only need 3 players to fill a 1st line. You named 2 already :sarcasm:. I don't think you know our prospect pool to be honest. So don't try to pretend you do. Also, you don't think Gallagher is 1st line potential? How about any of our young players under the age of 25? They will never reach their potential right?

Did I say the Habs were going to be for sure cup contenders in 2 or 3 years from now? NO! I said, we will re-surface as a young team on the rise. Tanking for lottery wins is a fools game. It's very possible to get a superstar or players who can help you win a cup with top 5 or top 10 picks.

And by the way, we have two superstars already. Price and Weber. They are no older than the Pens core. We need to add on top of them which is the problem.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yeah I think it's super unlikely Dubas trades Sandin, that was clearly his guy, and I'm also not of the belief that Petry is worth 2 1sts unless Montreal retains a lot. I'm perfectly fine retaining on Petry, as unlike a few VERY optimistic Habs fans, I don't think being competitive (for a cup, not to squeak into playoffs) is realistic within the next three years. At that point Petry will likely be getting a pay raise, albeit on a shorter deal, that I don't think Montreal should be paying. However retention is obviously going to drive the price up a bit, plus if the Habs are willing to retain I imagine several teams would be in on Petry. If Montreal retained 25% it would take Petry's AAV down to 4.125 which adjusted for the cap rising is pretty much equivalent to what Hamonic makes, but for a better player. So I think Habs should aim slightly higher than the Hamonic deal.

Variations of this deal have already been agreed upon in prior threads but something like Petry (25% retained) for Rasanen + 19 1st + 2020 2nd + 2019 4th/5th

Could also take back Horton's dead money and include a guy like JDLR as a 4C safety net behind Lindholm with picks added/adjusted here and there to balance that out.

I don't think this is a deal that could be made until at least around Christmas though, with Weber out Petry is the only legit top 4 guy and Habs can't afford to ruin Mete and Juulsen by throwing them in over their heads.
Ya that was my thoughts, no way Montreal are making a deep playoff run in the next couple years so might as well maximize the return on tradable assets.

I have no idea how leafs management view Rasanen but something around that trade could work. If the leafs get rid of Horton they dont have to worry about the bonus overages messing with the marner/Matthew's contracts next year from what I understand.

Waiting until the TDL also works for the Leafs as it gives them time to see how Dermott, Zaitsev and the multitude of 3rd pairing defenders turn out. I will be interested to see what happens at the TDL.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It's hope. I rater just draft well. There is plenty of top 5 or top 10 talent in pretty much every draft year. I'm not on the tank and win lotteries bandwagon as my only plan. It's a fools plan. Finishing last is not as easy as you think. You need a much worse roster vs what the Habs have at the moment. Top 5 or top 10 picks is a reachable goal.
I think its achievable to finish in the bottom few teams if you mean to, always depends on what other teams are doing as to the final standings. I think it's a lot easier to find franchise talent in the top 5 than the 5-10 range historically, so I'd be aiming there

I do think the Habs have the roster though given that you got to bottom 5 last year, especially with Weber out and if you sell off the good pieces like Petry, Pacioretty and Gallagher

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Can't afford to throw Juulsen and Mete into the fire so soon. If Petry is dealt before the season the opening D pairs look something like this:

Mete-Alzner
Schlemko-Juulsen

Need to wait until at least November/December to ease the young guys in a little bit and inch towards a Weber return
no no, I'd be using UFA's who are still out there instead of throwing those guys into the fire. Let them go the AHL first, both could use some time

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ya that was my thoughts, no way Montreal are making a deep playoff run in the next couple years so might as well maximize the return on tradable assets.

I have no idea how leafs management view Rasanen but something around that trade could work. If the leafs get rid of Horton they dont have to worry about the bonus overages messing with the marner/Matthew's contracts next year from what I understand.

Waiting until the TDL also works for the Leafs as it gives them time to see how Dermott, Zaitsev and the multitude of 3rd pairing defenders turn out. I will be interested to see what happens at the TDL.

People that twist an option or misunderstand is a contagious disease on these boards. Who said the Habs were going on deep playoff runs in the next couple of years? Who said we are not trading trade able assets like Patch, Byron, and Petry?

You can dangle any spare part you want but until you get serious with an offer that address the Habs needs, you are wasting your time. Go dangle your spare parts to the Canucks for Tanev.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Would that be success? Should't the goal be to build a roster that can be a cup contender, not a cup pretender? Building a cup contender through trades is a fools game. You need a cup contender first and then make trades to fill holes. Which is why this thread is created. Leafs are a cup contender and they need a solid piece at RD.

That is true. But the team we had in 2017 was really only missing one major hole, and that was the one Duchene could've filled at least partly. Like I said, I don't think it would've been smart to give up a huge future building block in Sergachev for that but it would've made us a serious contender, at least it would've given us a chance. When you have a chance to go for a cup, even if the window seems short, you want to take it. I'm not saying making the conference finals is success when you're reaching for the cup but it also gives hope for the next year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Mete-Alzner
Schlemko-Juulsen

How about this for a tank... Juulsen and Mete to Laval and with no Weber and Petry. Habs can go in a lot of different directions but I do think we are not making and drastic moves on D until Weber comes back healthy or some serious offer is made for Petry.

Alzner / Schlemko
Reilly / Benn
Quellette / Lernout

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
People that twist an option or misunderstand is a contagious disease on these boards. Who said the Habs were going on deep playoff runs in the next couple of years? Who said we are not trading trade able assets like Patch, Byron, and Petry?

You can dangle any spare part you want but until you get serious with an offer that address the Habs needs, you are wasting your time. Go dangle your spare parts to the Canucks for Tanev.
I never claimed or implied any Habs fan was saying that..... I said the Habs aren't going anywhere so might as well maximize the return on trades. No idea what your talking about. The irony of your statement is palatable

What do you think Petry should return? More than a 1st+2nd+2nd prospect+?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad