Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Just how bad do you think Jeff Petry is??? I really do like Johnsson, but certainly not going to fork up Petry for him straight up....

Habs are FINE on the wings. 1st/2nd round picks and D prospects for Petry, nothing else (obviously not getting a potential 1C for him the only hope of that is the tank)
I think any deal of Petry to the Toronto is going to involve retention as Toronto has no cap to send back in a trade and Montreal can maximize their return.

Personally I think the ask of Sandin + 1st is too rich for my blood. Leafs are going to need cheap ELC filling out their roster sooner rather than later. I also think Dubas is pretty high on Sandin so I would rather not trade him no matter how deep the leafs are on the left side.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I'm on board for Sandin + 1st for Petry. Also, with Petry out of the lineup, we have a legit shot at top 5 next year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with Patches and Byron at the TDL, but why Petry? He’s likely going to get a 1st+ at the TDL when his contract expire, so why not keep him for now? He’s a great #3 at a fair price and locked for three more years.

At worst, he’s a stop gap until Juulsen is ready and then we trade him for a need (whether it’s draft picks or a current hole in the lineup)

I want an accelerated rebuild. Our own picks and what we can get for Patch, Byron, and Petry. Don't get me wrong.... I'm not selling Petry for cheap. But if a team comes knocking and offers a solid futures offer, I pull the trigger. But Weber needs to be back healthy first.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm on board for Sandin + 1st for Petry. Also, with Petry out of the lineup, we have a legit shot at top 5 next year.

Me too. I think a 2019 1st (unprotected :sarcasm:) and Sandin for Petry and his great 3 year contract is fair to both teams. It would be interesting to see what other interest there is from other teams too. I might even put a conditional pick on top of the deal. A 2nd round pick if the Leafs reach a Stanley cup final in the next 3 years.

Petry might just be that reliable piece on the right side the Leafs need. He is a big body that can skate and he plays a very good defensive game. His offensive game is better than most admit. He produced when Weber was hurt and had more opportunity

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I want an accelerated rebuild. Our own picks and what we can get for Patch, Byron, and Petry. Don't get me wrong.... I'm not selling Petry for cheap. But if a team comes knocking and offers a solid futures offer, I pull the trigger. But Weber needs to be back healthy first.
if the intention is to bottom out, why do you need Weber back before you deal Petry? Having neither of them in the lineup makes you a worse team than having either of them

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
OK, this thread is a trainwreck anyways...so i'll ask, why would TO entertain trading Dermott for Petry?

Takes two teams willing to address each others needs to swing a deal. I do think Petry fits for the Leafs needs and his cap hit is very good for 3 years for what you get. I would not be asking for Dermott cause I know the Leafs need him. However, a 1st and Sandin is a type of deal I am willing to discuss.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
if the intention is to bottom out, why do you need Weber back before you deal Petry? Having neither of them in the lineup makes you a worse team than having either of them

Fair point. But with both Weber and Petry out, I think Price is exposed even more than last year. I want a tank year but I don't want a disaster where Price demands a trade

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think any deal of Petry to the Toronto is going to involve retention as Toronto has no cap to send back in a trade and Montreal can maximize their return.

Personally I think the ask of Sandin + 1st is too rich for my blood. Leafs are going to need cheap ELC filling out their roster sooner rather than later. I also think Dubas is pretty high on Sandin so I would rather not trade him no matter how deep the leafs are on the left side.

Yeah I think it's super unlikely Dubas trades Sandin, that was clearly his guy, and I'm also not of the belief that Petry is worth 2 1sts unless Montreal retains a lot. I'm perfectly fine retaining on Petry, as unlike a few VERY optimistic Habs fans, I don't think being competitive (for a cup, not to squeak into playoffs) is realistic within the next three years. At that point Petry will likely be getting a pay raise, albeit on a shorter deal, that I don't think Montreal should be paying. However retention is obviously going to drive the price up a bit, plus if the Habs are willing to retain I imagine several teams would be in on Petry. If Montreal retained 25% it would take Petry's AAV down to 4.125 which adjusted for the cap rising is pretty much equivalent to what Hamonic makes, but for a better player. So I think Habs should aim slightly higher than the Hamonic deal.

Variations of this deal have already been agreed upon in prior threads but something like Petry (25% retained) for Rasanen + 19 1st + 2020 2nd + 2019 4th/5th

Could also take back Horton's dead money and include a guy like JDLR as a 4C safety net behind Lindholm with picks added/adjusted here and there to balance that out.

I don't think this is a deal that could be made until at least around Christmas though, with Weber out Petry is the only legit top 4 guy and Habs can't afford to ruin Mete and Juulsen by throwing them in over their heads.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Fair point. But with both Weber and Petry out, I think Price is exposed even more than last year. I want a tank year but I don't want a disaster where Price demands a trade
I don't think Price demanding a trade would be an issue, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who wants his contract and I'm sure he's a smart enough guy to accept being shelled for a year or two if it means he has a shot to win a cup before his time is up there - believe me as a Leaf fan, mediocrity gets you nowhere but being truly bad does. Healthy Price on his own is enough to threaten your odds at the best pick imo, I'd sell anything that wasn't nailed down and ice a team of vets that you can throw to the wolves while your youth develops

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think Price demanding a trade would be an issue, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who wants his contract and I'm sure he's a smart enough guy to accept being shelled for a year or two if it means he has a shot to win a cup before his time is up there - believe me as a Leaf fan, mediocrity gets you nowhere but being truly bad does. Healthy Price on his own is enough to threaten your odds at the best pick imo, I'd sell anything that wasn't nailed down and ice a team of vets that you can throw to the wolves while your youth develops

Price demanding a trade in the 1st year of his 8 year monster deal? This is not an issue? Come on man

Being bad and winning a lottery has to do with a lot of luck. Imagine if you didn't win the lottery, got the 3rd pick and took poolparty. The perception would be completely different today. I support more tank years but I'm not banking on a draft lottery win.

I don't care what goalie you have, if you don't have a good team defense, the goalie is exposed. I am not on the "Habs are nothing without Price" bandwagon. Habs had a solid team D for several years but it took a major blow last year. Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu was replaced with Alzner, Schlemko, Mete. Say what you want to say about Beaulieu and Emelin but they were big bodies that played well in their own end. Forcing outside shots is how Price was able to put up the production numbers he did.

Babcock is going to work on the Leafs team D as well. Anderson is a good goalie but he can only do so much. If the Leafs can have a top 10 D and a good PK, they are going to be a force to deal with. Offense will always be there, The D is what needs work

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Price demanding a trade in the 1st year of his 8 year monster deal? This is not an issue? Come on man

Being bad and winning a lottery has to do with a lot of luck. Imagine if you didn't win the lottery, got the 3rd pick and took poolparty. The perception would be completely different today. I support more tank years but I'm not banking on a draft lottery win.

I don't care what goalie you have, if you don't have a good team defense, the goalie is exposed. I am not on the "Habs are nothing without Price" bandwagon. Habs had a solid team D for several years but it took a major blow last year. Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu was replaced with Alzner, Schlemko, Mete. Say what you want to say about Beaulieu and Emelin but they were big bodies that played well in their own end. Forcing outside shots is how Price was able to put up the production numbers he did.

Babcock is going to work on the Leafs team D as well. Anderson is a good goalie but he can only do so much. If the Leafs can have a top 10 D and a good PK, they are going to be a force to deal with. Offense will always be there, The D is what needs work

Beaulieu played well in his own end? Dude was a ticking time bomb. I agree that we got worse that offseason though, losing Markov hurt more than I anticipated.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Beaulieu played well in his own end? Dude was a ticking time bomb. I agree that we got worse that offseason though, losing Markov hurt more than I anticipated.

He did IMO. Big body that could skate, escape pressure and move the puck out of the zone. He did make mistakes and I'm not bragging about his play but I trust him way more than I trust Alzner, Been, Schlemko. The frustrating part to Beaulieu is he is not able to use his skills and put up production. The guy is tough, has size, good skating, and a good shot. It's between the ears that is the problem. But I wanted him protected vs Benn.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

the Habs probably aren't able to accommodate that request by virtue of not being able to find a trade partner, and again I'm sure that Price will get the long view. I know you guys are a bit shellshocked over the Roy situation still, but they are not the same person

Being last and being 5th last makes a big difference in terms of odds and where your pick can fall to. Drafting 1st is nice, but drafting top 5 consistently (especially through the next couple of good drafts) might be good enough and being right in the basement virtually assures that you'll draft high

The Habs are missing the important pieces to be a contender, so even with good team defense all that will buy you is a hamster wheel of mediocrity

Agree that the Leafs have room to improve in terms of team defense, but we have the star power to outscore those issues too as you can see by coasting to the post season (and despite being unlucky enough to be the best team in hockey to not get a home ice advantage against a worse team)

anyway, you guys are welcome to tread water and that will make deriding my Hab-fan friends great for the next decade, but I'd like to see a Habs-Leafs playoff series at some point

Reactions: loyaltotheend

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
People say stuff like this a lot but we have tons of Kappys and Browns on our own. We might suck but we still have winger depth so they would really have to battle for ice time even in Montreal.

And I don't know why Habs fans keep proposing Petry for the 10000th in this offseason. We can't afford to lose him before Weber comes back.

Brown takes faceoffs on PK and is solid 2 way player, maybe you guys can try him at 3c? I mean he can’t be worse than what you’ve got for sure. :sarcasm:

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He did IMO. Big body that could skate, escape pressure and move the puck out of the zone. He did make mistakes and I'm not bragging about his play but I trust him way more than I trust Alzner, Been, Schlemko. The frustrating part to Beaulieu is he is not able to use his skills and put up production. The guy is tough, has size, good skating, and a good shot. It's between the ears that is the problem. But I wanted him protected vs Benn.

He is definitely a better puck mover than Alzner or Benn and has the offensive tools they could only dream of, those two are very one dimensionally stay-at-home guys although Benn does have a darn good shot. I trust them more in the defensive zone than Beaulieu though, you could just never know what he was going to do there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the Habs probably aren't able to accommodate that request by virtue of not being able to find a trade partner, and again I'm sure that Price will get the long view. I know you guys are a bit shellshocked over the Roy situation still, but they are not the same person

Being last and being 5th last makes a big difference in terms of odds and where your pick can fall to. Drafting 1st is nice, but drafting top 5 consistently (especially through the next couple of good drafts) might be good enough and being right in the basement virtually assures that you'll draft high

The Habs are missing the important pieces to be a contender, so even with good team defense all that will buy you is a hamster wheel of mediocrity

Agree that the Leafs have room to improve in terms of team defense, but we have the star power to outscore those issues too as you can see by coasting to the post season (and despite being unlucky enough to be the best team in hockey to not get a home ice advantage against a worse team)

anyway, you guys are welcome to tread water and that will make deriding my Hab-fan friends great for the next decade, but I'd like to see a Habs-Leafs playoff series at some point

Last thing I want is to sneak into the playoffs as a wild card team and lose to the Leafs in the first round. I wouldn't be able to live with myself then. haha

I'm not going to argue about the Price discussion too much. You are correct, he is not hot headed like Roy but I can see him losing patience with Montreal. The media is going to be all over him and another year like last year is not a good situation for him. The French media is brutal... I won't talk about the rumor in detail but there was one about him and his wife. That's what happens in Montreal, like your former GM said, you are stupid twice (in English and French)

I love our 2017 and 2018 draft haul. I prefer more top 5 or top 10 picks in the next two drafts. If we get lucky and win a lottery, great. But being a for sure last place team like the Leafs did? I don't see it. I see the Habs rebounding a bit but hard to say how much they actually rebound.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Takes two teams willing to address each others needs to swing a deal. I do think Petry fits for the Leafs needs and his cap hit is very good for 3 years for what you get. I would not be asking for Dermott cause I know the Leafs need him. However, a 1st and Sandin is a type of deal I am willing to discuss.
Sandin is the guy Dubas wanted....he won't trade him. I would do a 1st+Rasenen/Bracco/2nd.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Brown takes faceoffs on PK and is solid 2 way player, maybe you guys can try him at 3c? I mean he can’t be worse than what you’ve got for sure. :sarcasm:

The Habs C depth has become a joke to the point where it doesn't even make sense. We got plenty of guys capable for the 3C role.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is definitely a better puck mover than Alzner or Benn and has the offensive tools they could only dream of, those two are very one dimensionally stay-at-home guys although Benn does have a darn good shot. I trust them more in the defensive zone than Beaulieu though, you could just never know what he was going to do there.

Not me. I value a big defenseman who can skate and has vision. Someone who can escape pressure with their skating vs trying to force a stupid pass like Benn or Alzner did with us last year cause they are smothered by the attacking forwards quickly. Turning the puck over in your own end is not good. Not saying Beaulieu did not do this but he at least is able to get the puck out and on to a forwards stick in open space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sandin is the guy Dubas wanted....he won't trade him. I would do a 1st+Rasenen/Bracco/2nd.

Not so sure. Dubas traded down cause his scouts said there were several guys they were interested who has similar talent. Sorry, A spare parts deal is not going to get you Petry. You need to consider the Habs needs if you want to spark interest.

Petry for 2019 1st and one of Liljegren or Sandin. I'd add a 2nd round pick conditional pick if you reach a Stanley cup final in the next 3 years.

Petry is staying with the Habs if you don't want to offer a serious futures package. I have no interest in Ransenen or Bracco. They don't address our needs.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
The Habs C depth has become a joke to the point where it doesn't even make sense. We got plenty of guys capable for the 3C role.

Haha don’t mind I was just having some fun. Seriously though it really is so bad for habs at the moment, whether be it for a fan or management or ownership. The whole franchise is becoming a laughing stock and I think it all started with PK trade.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Last thing I want is to sneak into the playoffs as a wild card team and lose to the Leafs in the first round. I wouldn't be able to live with myself then. haha

I'm not going to argue about the Price discussion too much. You are correct, he is not hot headed like Roy but I can see him losing patience with Montreal. The media is going to be all over him and another year like last year is not a good situation for him. The French media is brutal... I won't talk about the rumor in detail but there was one about him and his wife. That's what happens in Montreal, like your former GM said, you are stupid twice (in English and French)

I love our 2017 and 2018 draft haul. I prefer more top 5 or top 10 picks in the next two drafts. If we get lucky and win a lottery, great. But being a for sure last place team like the Leafs did? I don't see it. I see the Habs rebounding a bit but hard to say how much they actually rebound.
that same sequence of events would honestly complete my life, so try to sneak into the playoffs for me

I think if you get a Hughes or Lafreniere in the next 2 years there is a lot of hope for Montreal righting the ship in the next 3-4 but really think you need a face of the franchise type forward. And I think if you got it, it would set player minds at ease too, like I'm sure it feels a little bleak for Price right now looking at the next 8 years there but it would only take one young star forward to change that imo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Haha don’t mind I was just having some fun. Seriously though it really is so bad for habs at the moment, whether be it for a fan or management or ownership. The whole franchise is becoming a laughing stock and I think it all started with PK trade.

The Habs are not in a terrible situation. The Sens are. Our Gallagher and under age group is solid. We had two very good drafts in 2017 and 2018 as well. It might take 2 or 3 years before you see the Habs re-surface but it's not going to be 10 years of misery like the Leafs. Price/Weber/Gallagher can lead a youth movement.

Gallagher, Drouin, Domi, Lehkonen, Danault, Scherbak, DLR, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Mete, Juulsen, Primeau, Ylonen, Olofsson, Romanov, Brook, Fleury, Ikonen is a solid mid 20's and under core (to name a few). Back this up with Price and Weber and more picks in the next two drafts. Were not doomed.

We had 12 top 100 picks in the last two drafts. It's a big deal.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
that same sequence of events would honestly complete my life, so try to sneak into the playoffs for me

I think if you get a Hughes or Lafreniere in the next 2 years there is a lot of hope for Montreal righting the ship in the next 3-4 but really think you need a face of the franchise type forward. And I think if you got it, it would set player minds at ease too, like I'm sure it feels a little bleak for Price right now looking at the next 8 years there but it would only take one young star forward to change that imo

Look at how bad our year was last year and we got the 3rd pick and missed on Dahlin. Huges or Lafreniere would be awesome but I'm not banking on it. All I want is more top 5 or top 10 picks in the next two draft years.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad