Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is true. But the team we had in 2017 was really only missing one major hole, and that was the one Duchene could've filled at least partly. Like I said, I don't think it would've been smart to give up a huge future building block in Sergachev for that but it would've made us a serious contender, at least it would've given us a chance. When you have a chance to go for a cup, even if the window seems short, you want to take it. I'm not saying making the conference finals is success when you're reaching for the cup but it also gives hope for the next year.

I respect making moves when you can taste the cup but I was not on the 2017 trade deadline bandwagon at trading futures for the short term. The top teams are just too dam good today. Making the playoffs and anything can happen is a old strategy

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
I'm listening if you want Petry but it's a 1st and one of Liljgren or Sandin and a conditional 2nd if you reach a cup final. Too steep? Good luck with other options.

Dream on.

Do you guys think Dubas got stupid over night or something?

I'll take the "luck with other options" option Lmao

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never claimed or implied any Habs fan was saying that..... I said the Habs aren't going anywhere so might as well maximize the return on trades. No idea what your talking about. The irony of your statement is palatable

What do you think Petry should return? More than a 1st+2nd+2nd prospect+?

Petry for a 2019 1st (unprotected.. shouldn't be a problem right? :sarcasm:) and one of Lilijgren or Sandin. And a conditional 2nd if the Leafs reach a cup final in the next 3 years. It's not what you think is fair value, it's what it takes to pry Petry away from our roster. We are not shopping him and he has plenty of term left.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dream on.

Do you guys think Dubas got stupid over night or something?

I'll take the "luck with other options" option Lmao

What's will all the Leafs proposals for a RD lately then? You think you are going to get one with spare parts? What has Dubas done so far anyways? Sign Tavares who wanted to come to Toronto anyways? He is a young NHL GM. Bergevin was a good young NHL GM in his first few years as well. Shanahan is the guy who is the guy that turns things around and will control things for the most part.

It's not a dream. It's the price you need to pay if you want Petry. No offense taken. Lets see how long the Leafs fan base and management are willing to be patient with an average NHL Defense at best.

You may not like the asking price but there are some Leafs fans that think it's a workable trade. So it's a dream? Only in your world.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
We cant really trade Petry now if it happen itll be a the TDL. Julssen aint ready for all that action at the start of the season with webber out. No matter what leafs fans say you'll be willing to pay the price for Petry if you think youll be able to make a good run for the cup. He'll easily be your Best or second best D-men on your team dont be petty trying to under value him. Finally We wont be among the last teams in the league for long time. We have a solid Goaltender, a #1 RHD, a #3 RHD. We have some decent bottom 6 guys. We have a couple of Quality wingers(drouin,gallagher,domi,sherback).
We probably gonna get a high 1st pick this year and next year. Give us maybe 3-4 years max then we'll be serious contender. Our prospects gonna get older. Our young player(drouin,domi,scherbak) are gonna get better. Poehling,Kotka,olafson,Ylonen etc. Will play.
And with the potential that the team will have we will be able to attract some serious free agent to complete our team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
What's will all the Leafs proposals for a RD lately then? You think you are going to get one with spare parts? What has Dubas done so far anyways? Sign Tavares who wanted to come to Toronto anyways? He is a young NHL GM. Bergevin was a good young NHL GM in his first few years as well. Shanahan is the guy who is the guy that turns things around and will control things for the most part.

It's not a dream. It's the price you need to pay if you want Petry. No offense taken. Lets see how long the Leafs fan base and management are willing to be patient with an average NHL Defense at best.

You may not like the asking price but there are some Leafs fans that think it's a workable trade. So it's a dream? Only in your world.
He's been the Leafs GM for a total of 3 months and 10 days....and he's signed Tavares. He's had 1 draft, going to take some time to see how that turns out....he somehow managed to unload Matt Martin...he's made some Euro signings. We'll see what he does with the Matthews/Marner/Nylander contracts.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
If I was listening to all of your sayin we will be trading Patches for a hockey sticks, petry for water bottle bottle & gallagher for a couple of pucks lol.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Petry for a 2019 1st (unprotected.. shouldn't be a problem right? :sarcasm:) and one of Lilijgren or Sandin. And a conditional 2nd if the Leafs reach a cup final in the next 3 years. It's not what you think is fair value, it's what it takes to pry Petry away from our roster. We are not shopping him and he has plenty of term left.
The easier answer is "he's not available" then, because if you ask me how much i want for my 10 year old Honda civic....and i tell you $45000.....as soon as you are done laughing I say "Well, i am not looking to sell it so that's what you'd have to pay"....you see where i'm going here?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
2019 1st rounder (lottery protected), if it doesn't convey, turns into a 2020 top 10 protected pick

Bracco/Timashov

or

Kapanen + 2nd + 4th

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If I was listening to all of your sayin we will be trading Patches for a hockey sticks, petry for water bottle bottle & gallagher for a couple of pucks lol.
Rebuilding teams my friend...we felt the same way with Kessel, thought for sure we'd get a boatload....then reality kicked us in the nuts.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Petry is good, but I'd like to see what we have in sandin first before we trade him. The ELCs are how we will extend our window. JMO

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Trying to get greedy for an aging Dman will eventually lead to an old Dman and another missed playoff in the future. The leafs will not overpay for a guy who is not a long term fix.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
As we speak today. RN. This year. Petry is better then Sandin, Dermott, Liljgren. Im not talking in 3-4 years from now. Im talking in the present. Right now for the upcoming season, and I dare one of yall to say that im wrong and if you do is because your judgment is bias. So telling me that you wouldnt give one of them to get a good RHD that will stabilize your denfend core is non sens. Its because you get attached and you let emotions run you. The truth is if Your manager think that he have a chance for the cup and in his eyes he need to upgrade his D-core then he will do it. And he'll to trade one of those 3 defenseman. If you really think you can get a #3 RHD(he will be your #1RHD) with a kapanen package you can miss me with that. Its gonna be one of them 3 defense player plus a 1st or/and 2nd

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Petry is not enough of an upgrade at 2RD to pay what Montreal would need given their depth issues. Not a good trade fit

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
How about this for a tank... Juulsen and Mete to Laval and with no Weber and Petry. Habs can go in a lot of different directions but I do think we are not making and drastic moves on D until Weber comes back healthy or some serious offer is made for Petry.

Alzner / Schlemko
Reilly / Benn
Quellette / Lernout

Yeah I agree with that. That would maybe be the ugliest D core to touch ice in modern history

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
2019 1st rounder (lottery protected), if it doesn't convey, turns into a 2020 top 10 protected pick

Bracco/Timashov

or

Kapanen + 2nd + 4th
NEXT.Your not getting Petry for a 2nd and a 4th. Kapanen we don't need or want. Start with your 1st and add.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I think its achievable to finish in the bottom few teams if you mean to, always depends on what other teams are doing as to the final standings. I think it's a lot easier to find franchise talent in the top 5 than the 5-10 range historically, so I'd be aiming there

I do think the Habs have the roster though given that you got to bottom 5 last year, especially with Weber out and if you sell off the good pieces like Petry, Pacioretty and Gallagher
The important word is SELL not GIVE them away.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
no no, I'd be using UFA's who are still out there instead of throwing those guys into the fire. Let them go the AHL first, both could use some time

I wouldn't be opposed to it but they both didn't look bad in the NHL. Even if they start the year there I'd expect one or both up by the all star break. If Enstrom would come to Montreal I'd give him a two year deal but somehow doubt he would. Also, holding out some tempered hope for Despres

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
As we speak today. RN. This year. Petry is better then Sandin, Dermott, Liljgren. Im not talking in 3-4 years from now. Im talking in the present. Right now for the upcoming season, and I dare one of yall to say that im wrong and if you do is because your judgment is bias. So telling me that you wouldnt give one of them to get a good RHD that will stabilize your denfend core is non sens. Its because you get attached and you let emotions run you. The truth is if Your manager think that he have a chance for the cup and in his eyes he need to upgrade his D-core then he will do it. And he'll to trade one of those 3 defenseman. If you really think you can get a #3 RHD(he will be your #1RHD) with a kapanen package you can miss me with that. Its gonna be one of them 3 defense player plus a 1st or/and 2nd

Petry is easily a #2 D.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
When Weber comes back, we can re-evaluate this. Like I said, can't we just wait for a couple of months? I don't really care whether we get the 1st today or at the TDL.
I’d want the first today because there is a chance whatever team you trade it to implodes where at the deadline you aren’t getting a lottery pick. Andersen gets injured and it could b a decent pick. TDL only teams gearing up for a cup run will be trading for vets

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The important word is SELL not GIVE them away.
I think there's a lot of semantics you can get mired in, get the best that's available rather than let them wither on the vine

I wouldn't be opposed to it but they both didn't look bad in the NHL. Even if they start the year there I'd expect one or both up by the all star break. If Enstrom would come to Montreal I'd give him a two year deal but somehow doubt he would. Also, holding out some tempered hope for Despres
I think Enstrom or anyone else in free agency would jump at playing for Montreal, there may be more opportunity to showcase themselves for another contract there than there would be on most other teams. It worked with us and guys like parenteau

I'd let Mete especially have a turn in the AHL, let him dominate and build some confidence. Juulsen too to a lesser extent, but shield them both from the fire if that's the way it goes

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Petry is not enough of an upgrade at 2RD to pay what Montreal would need given their depth issues. Not a good trade fit

He's a huge upgrade over Zaitsev and would be the #2 on that d-core easily. Obviously can't say for sure but feels like a great fit with Rielly too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad