Jeff Marek no longer with Sportsnet - Unknown why

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I know it is easier said than done when you're in your 40s/50s with a family, but him and Greg Wyshysnki should have gambled on themselves when MvsW was at it's peak. The podcast had a massive audience for the time. Had they gone independent and leveraged that audience, with the right management, they would probably have done a lot better.

They were in the top 100 podcast rankings in Canada back in the early 2010s. Now keep in mind how advertisers view the hockey audience as valuable and affluent. They had a direct tap to that audience, and there were very few hockey podcasts to compete with.
Both of them leveraged that pod into huge career jumps....

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I do not mean to suggest that they did poorly. I think they should have gambled on themselves because the ceiling for owning and operating a podcast is much higher, especially when their target audience was one that at least on the television side is coveted by advertisers.

I get why two men in their 40s or whatever they were with families wouldn't take the gamble of uncertain income vs a steady cheque.

Maybe I am misinterpreting how big their podcast was.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
I don't see Marek as a huge loss honestly. Friedge will find a new co host and the show will go on. The podcast lacks substance anyways, just Elliotte saying "I wonder" for an hour because he can't leak any real news without pissing his sources off.
It's a huge loss because Jeff clearly dedicated himself to learning the craft and giving it his all.
He was a pioneer in the podcast space, he was a total hockey nerd. If someone like that can get fired in an instance, what's the point? We all suffer

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
They were great together. But Greg seems to have signed some handcuff deal that has taken him completely out of the spotlight. Which is a shame, I could see why he might irk people, but he was a character in a space full of hockey-talking bobbleheads.

If all he did was he leaked some picks and got fired for that, I think that's ridiculous.

The people who got their feelings hurt by that should stop being such babies. That's no reason to fire a popular personality who added a lot to the network.
Exactly, they act like sports news is particularly important in the grand scheme of things. It's just entertainment.

Reactions: tiburon12

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I do not mean to suggest that they did poorly. I think they should have gambled on themselves because the ceiling for owning and operating a podcast is much higher, especially when their target audience was one that at least on the television side is coveted by advertisers.

I get why two men in their 40s or whatever they were with families wouldn't take the gamble of uncertain income vs a steady cheque.

Maybe I am misinterpreting how big their podcast was.
Their podcast is notable for being the OG hockey pod than more than it is for being big. Podcasts just weren't nearly as big then.

The only reason it ended is because Wysh moved to ESPN and them (TSN) and sportsnet didn't want to share. Both exponentially grew in cache (and $$) after that.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I don’t care tbh. Will be interested to see the details on why he’s no longer at sportsnet though

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Enjoyed the 32 thoughts podcast with Jeff and Elliotte. Jeff had his quirks but the good outweighed the bad in my opinion and I thought they had chemistry.

Hopefully they find a decent replacement for the show by hockey season.

Reactions: ElysiumAB and BLNY

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
This is only an observation, not an accusation… I don’t think this is it, and noone at Sportsnet would likely ever say if it was - but when we were all watching the draft here, we couldn’t help but notice Jeff was a little touchy feely with the young prospects. It makes me uncomfortable to even say that. He was reaching out to the prospects knees as they sat side by side - and the phrase he kept landing on by the end of his awkward post-draft sitdowns, was how that teams colours looked good on the prospect. I dunno. That statement in and of itself is reasonable and all. But his whole approach felt mad creepy to me.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
This is only an observation, not an accusation… I don’t think this is it, and noone at Sportsnet would likely ever say if it was - but when we were all watching the draft here, we couldn’t help but notice Jeff was a little touchy feely with the young prospects. It makes me uncomfortable to even say that. He was reaching out to the prospects knees as they sat side by side - and the phrase he kept landing on by the end of his awkward post-draft sitdowns, was how that teams colours looked good on the prospect. I dunno. That statement in and of itself is reasonable and all. But his whole approach felt mad creepy to me.
If that had any merit whatsoever, you wouldn’t be seeing so many of the other hockey media members tweeting out how great of a person he is

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Who is this person? Why are they credible?
Set up the interview?

The player gets selected, goes to the stage, then goes to the table (that Marek was at)...

what "set-up" is needed?

My own guess is he he did leak and give a description of what the sphere looked liked on the inside on his pre-draft pod which may have pissed some league people off

and if that is the reason then wow... incredibly petty.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Set up the interview?

The player gets selected, goes to the stage, then goes to the table (that Marek was at)...

what "set-up" is needed?

My own guess is he he did leak and give a description of what the sphere looked liked on the inside on his pre-draft pod which may have pissed some league people off

and if that is the reason then wow... incredibly petty.

Wasn't ESPN posting pics from inside the sphere even before the draft lottery?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Oh ffs. This is the most peak zoomer social media take i've read

Reactions: BM14

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
But his whole approach felt mad creepy to me.

I once saw Jeff on Sportsnet years ago talking about his wife and was surprised.

And given the sensitivities these days on all things regarding sexual orientation, etc. I will just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad