Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I haven't seen the lineup but I'm sure they'll post it sometime around 5 or 6pm.

As for the game... I'm taking the score, in either direction, with grain of salt. I'll be more interested in how they work, the defence, how Walters/Torres work together, rookie adjustments, etc.

Reactions: punch1943

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not dressed for Windsor, Abraham, Martin,Nesbitt,Morneau, Outwater, Eichler,Woodall, Winegard, Hjelholt, Costanzo and Froggett
Newlove starts
Windbiel is the backup
All new players are playing tonight.
Drafted or acquired ie Mathurin.

Reactions: punch1943 and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Some thoughts from tonight...

The good:

- I went in expecting a tough, perhaps one-sided (for Sarnia) battle. Instead, I got a Spitfires' team that was confident.
- Protas is fun to watch. He's not fast and kind of reminds you of a train... takes a bit to get going but, once he's up there, good luck. The hat-trick and he made it look easy.
- Belchetz does not look like a 2008. He was zipping around the ice, creating chances, scored a goal, and generally had fun. There was a scrum by the Sting net where one of the Sting players grabbed him... Belchetz was all smiles like "this is fun!"
- All four lines did something. The coaches put Morgan, Stewart, and Greenwell together, but threw Gaymes in there on occasion. No issues at all, though they didn't get a ton of ice, either.
- Lemieux is entertaining; he'll throw the body, create a bit of havoc, and not really care.
- Brocklehurst and Garden have speed for days. They played a bit of pinball out there but also created a few chances.
- Davis was Davis... full speed, offensive, and throwing the body on occasion.
- Mathurin is going to be a big help. He's calm, he's a 200-foot guy, and he has the speed to help whoever he's partnered with.
- Cristoforo looks like he's more aware and more confident. He pinched but that's his game; we can either accept it or not.
- Hicks looked a bit rushed at times but overall showed well. He's not going to run you through the boards but he'll use his body to hit you and then gain position.
- Walton showed his physical side again; this seems to be a new thing for him. The question is whether or not he can maintain it.
- Lavigne was getting physical and in people's faces, which was nice to see.
- As for the goaltenders - Newlove played very well, looks poised and confident. I'm not against giving him another start. Windbiel is a beast; a little clunky at times going from side to side or getting up, but there's a lot to work with and he's going to be just fine.
- 5/7 on the PK... tough to argue that. You give a team seven chances and they're going to score.

The bad(ish):

- This is both good and bad... I like Gaymes' game. He's bigger, he's physical, he's quick. However, he has to control his emotions. Don't take unnecessary penalties because you want to get to a guy.
- The PP went 0/5. They had chances but couldn't find the net. Back to the drawing board.

It's one game so I'm taking the score with a grain of salt. However, there was a lot to like. This is a big, big team - Greentree, Spellacy, Belchetz, and Protas alone are going to be hard to handle. However, the size is balanced with a lot of speed and creativity, which is just getting started.

Defensively, they let up a bit in the third, which I'm not a huge fan of, but played well overall. They didn't give up many turnover chances and seemed to play responsible in their own zone.

Now we'll see where they go from here.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Some thoughts from tonight...

The good:

- I went in expecting a tough, perhaps one-sided (for Sarnia) battle. Instead, I got a Spitfires' team that was confident.
- Protas is fun to watch. He's not fast and kind of reminds you of a train... takes a bit to get going but, once he's up there, good luck. The hat-trick and he made it look easy.
- Belchetz does not look like a 2008. He was zipping around the ice, creating chances, scored a goal, and generally had fun. There was a scrum by the Sting net where one of the Sting players grabbed him... Belchetz was all smiles like "this is fun!"
- All four lines did something. The coaches put Morgan, Stewart, and Greenwell together, but threw Gaymes in there on occasion. No issues at all, though they didn't get a ton of ice, either.
- Lemieux is entertaining; he'll throw the body, create a bit of havoc, and not really care.
- Brocklehurst and Garden have speed for days. They played a bit of pinball out there but also created a few chances.
- Davis was Davis... full speed, offensive, and throwing the body on occasion.
- Mathurin is going to be a big help. He's calm, he's a 200-foot guy, and he has the speed to help whoever he's partnered with.
- Cristoforo looks like he's more aware and more confident. He pinched but that's his game; we can either accept it or not.
- Hicks looked a bit rushed at times but overall showed well. He's not going to run you through the boards but he'll use his body to hit you and then gain position.
- Walton showed his physical side again; this seems to be a new thing for him. The question is whether or not he can maintain it.
- Lavigne was getting physical and in people's faces, which was nice to see.
- As for the goaltenders - Newlove played very well, looks poised and confident. I'm not against giving him another start. Windbiel is a beast; a little clunky at times going from side to side or getting up, but there's a lot to work with and he's going to be just fine.
- 5/7 on the PK... tough to argue that. You give a team seven chances and they're going to score.

The bad(ish):

- This is both good and bad... I like Gaymes' game. He's bigger, he's physical, he's quick. However, he has to control his emotions. Don't take unnecessary penalties because you want to get to a guy.
- The PP went 0/5. They had chances but couldn't find the net. Back to the drawing board.

It's one game so I'm taking the score with a grain of salt. However, there was a lot to like. This is a big, big team - Greentree, Spellacy, Belchetz, and Protas alone are going to be hard to handle. However, the size is balanced with a lot of speed and creativity, which is just getting started.

Defensively, they let up a bit in the third, which I'm not a huge fan of, but played well overall. They didn't give up many turnover chances and seemed to play responsible in their own zone.

Now we'll see where they go from here.
Agree with pretty much all that you wrote,with some additional comments.
Firstly Sarnia while they scored 2PP goals of their 3 goals on the night going 2/7 on the PP,should be noted Sarnia also allowed 2 shorties by Windsor so ifI am Windsor I will take that.
Yes the PP struggled though I will gladly outscore a team 5 on 5 ,4-1 any day of the week not criticizing you re your views re the PP just adding.
I liked Newlove 's game allowed 1 goal a PP in his near 30 minutes of play for a GA of 2.03 on the night,while Windbiel allowed 2 goals,1-5 on 5, and 1 on PP with a minute in a half left for a GA of 3.94 and stopping 14/16 with a save percentage of 875.
Windsor 's goalies were 16 and 17 years old with no OHl exp,while Sarnia's tenders are both 18 years of age,1 newbie,plus Chartier from last night has played 6 OHL games.
10 Spitfire players 1 point or more with multiples coming from Protas 3G,and Greentree with 2A
4 of Windsor's 16 year olds picked up a point goals by Belchetz and Lemieux, and assists by Hicks and Brocklehurst, with Garden the only 16 year-old skater to go pointless,though he did go +2 on the night,2nd highest on the team with 4 others,Walton and Hicks both went +4 on the night to lead Windsor.
Impressive debuts by pretty much all those new to the team who played.
Protas and Belchetz continue to show what they displayed most of camp,especially Protas.
Spits were missing some pretty good players last night,including both goalies Costanzo and Froggett, Eichler and Woodall from the backend, plus Winegard, Centers Abraham,Morneau,Nesbitt and Martin along with winger Outwater did not play.
Interesting goals and assists missing from last night's game from both teams lineups Sarnia 43G,74A,117 pts.
Windsor 78G,96A,174 pts.
Game in Fint Sunday afternoon at 4 should be fun,don't expect the 5 players headed to NHL camps to play Greentree, Protas, Davis,Spellacy and Mathurin, though I do expect all those except Costanzo who is dealing with bronchitis who didn't suit up vs Sarnia to play though.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Something I forgot to add last night...

Just after the concessions opened, I went for a slice of pizza. The cost was $7.50 and it was an average size you'd normally find in a medium or large pizza. Nothing big, but not tiny. As I'm eating it, a man (appeared to be a higher up at the arena) walks up to me and asks what I think of the pizza. "Better than last season?" Yeah, less greasy and better overall flavour. He thanks me. I said "Want me to be honest?" Of course. I said "the value isn't there. The size of the slice, combined with it being a thinner crust, doesn't make good value for the price." He appreciated it and went about his business.

They're at least talking to customers, seeing what opinions are, and I appreciate that in preseason. One of the biggest issues I've found over the last 2-3 seasons is the prices have gone up and the value has gone down. I get that it's the industry but this is the OHL, not the NHL. You have to be affordable and provide value to families. This appears to be a good first step, if it's taken to heart.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
For anyone that was there last night I have some curiousity questions.
We're all the rookies able to keep up with the leagues pace of play?
We're they engaged with the play and the puck or did they shy away?
How was Walters on the bench? Calm or animated? Thanks in advance. Be safe.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Something I forgot to add last night...

Just after the concessions opened, I went for a slice of pizza. The cost was $7.50 and it was an average size you'd normally find in a medium or large pizza. Nothing big, but not tiny. As I'm eating it, a man (appeared to be a higher up at the arena) walks up to me and asks what I think of the pizza. "Better than last season?" Yeah, less greasy and better overall flavour. He thanks me. I said "Want me to be honest?" Of course. I said "the value isn't there. The size of the slice, combined with it being a thinner crust, doesn't make good value for the price." He appreciated it and went about his business.

They're at least talking to customers, seeing what opinions are, and I appreciate that in preseason. One of the biggest issues I've found over the last 2-3 seasons is the prices have gone up and the value has gone down. I get that it's the industry but this is the OHL, not the NHL. You have to be affordable and provide value to families. This appears to be a good first step, if it's taken to heart.
I would take it with a grain of salt.
It is a business. They in to make money.
Prices gone up everywhere. Get used to it if u want to eat there.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I didn't see any problems with the youngsters all performed particularly the 16 year olds,5 of them dressed plus the 16 year old tender Windbiel.
If any of them were nervous or shy I didn't notice,they all engaged with regularity,4 of the 5 put up points,can't recall seeing 6-16 year olds dressed in 1 game,remember being 16 one must be signed,17 and up not the case.
As for Walters I sat about 8 rows up and I didn't notice animation at all but more so a calm reassurance to those who may needed it at a given time,was impressed how the bench was run in this game by all the coaches.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

From what I saw, the rookies all seemed happy to get involved. There were some adjustments to the pace but they got involved, created chances, some threw their body around, and it was a good first impression. I'm sure they had nerves going in but it could have been as easy as the coaches telling them they were there for a reason.

As for Walters - he wasn't animated or anything. He was talking to the players, showing them different things, and seemed calm.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
About the pizza. Believe it was 9.50 in kingston here. Season ticket holders get 20% off the food but it’s ridiculously priced.

Reactions: OHLTG

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
About the pizza. Believe it was 9.50 in kingston here. Season ticket holders get 20% off the food but it’s ridiculously priced.
Glad to see it isn't just Sarnia fans that the league want to go broke with these concession stand costs lmao. A Pizza & Pop being over 10$ is criminal. I can not imagine having a decently sized family & bringing them all to a game & grabbing snacks/drinks. Pure insanity.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Glad to see it isn't just Sarnia fans that the league want to go broke with these concession stand costs lmao. A Pizza & Pop being over 10$ is criminal. I can not imagine having a decently sized family & bringing them all to a game & grabbing snacks/drinks. Pure insanity.

I think they have deals during the regular season but it's still way too much. The league can't market to families and then charge this much... it's wrong. I remember last preseason, I did a similar thing where I had a slice before the first game... and then, at the second game, they increased it to two slices for the same price. It wasn't as good of quality but, if they did that this season, it wouldn't be as insane.

Section 103

May 25, 2016
I paid $10.00 for a small fries and a bottle of Pepsi. Glad I didn’t get a hotdog. The Billboard menu wasn’t working, so unable to see the prices.

Reactions: rve24

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Not sure about all arenas but concessions aren't always run by the team. And yes they are ridiculous prices.
I'm not a biz major but ya gotta think they've weighed the high cost sakes vs volume lower costs.....I dunno but I used to grab something in London during warmup every game for dinner ( they had some great independent stand ups/ concourse pop ups... good size pulled pork or brisket sandwiches, prime rib sandwiches at the bar.....$10=12, no longer. The pop ups were great in arena but vendors said they kept up the oricds fof a stand.
Concessions at " new" arena always sucked. I'm guessing it's the coat to rent a space in the arena or leave deal causing them to jack it up so much...same everywhere. Rather grab a meal at the market or restaurant on my way in. There loss.
Small town arenas for B n C hockey.... some great dogs, popcorn ect....at good prices ect.....OHL....cash grab gor crap.

Support local restaurants before ya go in I guess os what the teams want us to do lol.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Many would say if it costs too much don't get it. I agree, but those people have never taken a kid to a game.

They market the games to the kids with the all promotions, mascots, super hero night, etc. but they price everything that makes it so expensive to bring the kids.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Many would say if it costs too much don't get it. I agree, but those people have never taken a kid to a game.

They market the games to the kids with the all promotions, mascots, super hero night, etc. but they price everything that makes it so expensive to bring the kids.
I know for regular season games some teams run specials where a family can get a set of tickets and food vouchers that essentially come out to a discount. Maybe not a thing for the preseason?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad