Sportsnet: Jeff Marek: Holland looking to move 1st or top prospects for LD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
But they already got Keith, what more do they need?

Seriously, a goalie should be their number one priority and then another defenseman.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And by last summer, I was willing to trade OEL for Beagle, Roussel, and Eriksson. His play fell off a cliff. Just a complete nosedive.

What does that have to do with Chychrun who is 23 years old, led the NHL in goals by defensemen last season, and finished top ten in Norris voting last season, and is signed to a sweetheart contract?

I changed my mind. Broberg, Holloway, Bourgault, and the 1st.
Just saying.

Remember when I said Hall could take a shorter term deal in FA and you guys swore he wouldn’t leave term and money on the table? And he ended up signing in Buffalo for one year?

Or when you were dead set against a Nurse for OEL deal because Nurse was nothing more than a decent Top 4 defenseman and OEL had better value than that?

My valuations aren’t totally off and yours aren’t totally on, that’s my point.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I think this conversation was specifically revolving around Chiarot, with Marek stating that the Oilers have "everything" on the table and want to go all in this year.

Montreal fans - how about Chiarot for a 2022 second round pick and conditional fifth? That's how much we asked for Petry, after all. :)
I'm guessing Berg would be holding out for a 1st. Especially this early in the season.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Makes sense, the Oilers are probably the best team in the Western Conference. The time to go all in is right now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Who exactly are these top prospects available then?

Bouchard is graduated and playing top pairing minutes, largely doing so very well. Removing Bouchard and adding Dumoulin makes our defence worse, not better.

He's likely referring to the likes of Broberg/Bourgault/Holloway.

Reactions: snipes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Bouchard is graduated and playing top pairing minutes, largely doing so very well. Removing Bouchard and adding Dumoulin makes our defence worse, not better.

He's likely referring to the likes of Broberg/Bourgault/Holloway.

Okay. I’d do Broberg, 1st and Russell for Dumoulin with some slight retaining say 1.25 mil.

Dumo slides in as the main defensive match up guy with Bouchard. Allows you to drop Keith to 3rd pairing and have Nurse as your offensive wizard on L2.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I wouldn't give up both Broberg and a 1st for Dumoulin. His on-ice results have been sliding quite a bit the last couple years. I'd pay that for 19/20 Dumoulin, but the Dumoulin of today doesn't command two firsts. No way.

I’d do a 2nd if there was no retaining but do the Oilers have any soon?

I think the 1st is likely in the late 20s or early 30s with Dumoulin.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
And by last summer, I was willing to trade OEL for Beagle, Roussel, and Eriksson. His play fell off a cliff. Just a complete nosedive.

What does that have to do with Chychrun who is 23 years old, led the NHL in goals by defensemen last season, and finished top ten in Norris voting last season, and is signed to a sweetheart contract?

I changed my mind. Broberg, Holloway, Bourgault, and the 1st.

Uh, no thanks. Chychrun can have fun rotting in the desert

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Brian Dumoulin would make the Oilers a legit contender outside of goaltending and he has a year left on his deal.
Broberg is on our roster and can play behind Nurse and Keith comfortably. Already looks significant better than any of our other LHD for that spot. Dumoulin doesn't play ahead of Nurse or Keith in our lineup, so we're swapping 3LHD while Broberg is one game into his NHL career, plus another first round pick.

Crying into my keys.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Brian Dumoulin would make the Oilers a legit contender outside of goaltending and he has a year left on his deal.

Dumoulin's rank among Penguins defencemen this year:

CF%: Last
XGF%: Last
SCF%: 2nd last
HDCF%: Last (with a bullet)

His game fell off a lot last year too from the looks of things.

Dumoulin was a hell of a defenceman at his peak, but he looks to be on the downswing now. Pittsburgh should be overjoyed if they could get a Broberg level prospect for him, never mind adding a first too.

Reactions: spaghtti

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Aren’t you guys still in the playoff hunt this year? Is Dumoulin even available?

In reality. Most likely not. That being said, we are paying 16 million for our left side and have POJ in the minors who could be a third pairing guy and acquiring Broberg would help us save cap there and reposition for RD which potentially is going to suck if Letang walks.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Broberg is on our roster and can play behind Nurse and Keith comfortably. Already looks significant better than any of our other LHD for that spot. Dumoulin doesn't play ahead of Nurse or Keith in our lineup, so we're swapping 3LHD while Broberg is one game into his NHL career, plus another first round pick.

Crying into my keys.

Dumoulin is a top pairing defensive stud who can skate and move the puck. Perfect type of add for the Oilers especially given the cup experience. He’d be a huge addition for that team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’d do a 2nd if there was no retaining but do the Oilers have any soon?

I think the 1st is likely in the late 20s or early 30s with Dumoulin.

It could be whichever of the 22/23 2nds we have, but I still think Broberg+ is way too much for a guy that I think has his best days in the rearview.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It could be whichever of the 22/23 2nds we have, but I still think Broberg+ is way too much for a guy that I think has his best days in the rearview.

I’m not a big fan of JFresh, but his model shows no drop off defensively.

dumo2.JPG

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
In reality. Most likely not. That being said, we are paying 16 million for our left side and have POJ in the minors who could be a third pairing guy and acquiring Broberg would help us save cap there and reposition for RD which potentially is going to suck if Letang walks.
If Holland is offering assets now I doubt it’s to teams who are still very much in the hunt. My guess is it’s to teams who are already planning for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad