Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Oh, I'm not complaining about it at all. Just saying keeping them all won't be possible so they'll have to move some bodies eventually.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Just be thankful we have the intuitive Hughes at the helm of this storied franchise and not the inept Bergevin guiding the team’s fortunes. I shudder thinking about the damage that the Idiot Savant would have wrought in these circumstances if given the opportunity.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
And now Struble knows what it demands to be a NHL player. The kid ran out of gas in the last third of the season. He never played so much high level hockey in his life.
when I remember how Craig Ludwig, lyle odelein, Mathieu Schneider , they all took way longer to became the players they did then most here are willing to give a player like Struble

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I thought he played very well, he had to match up with the best players in the league and sometimes on his off side. On a team that was one line deep.

There were moments that weren't good, there were hits he took you don't want him to take but you rarely see kids his age play the minutes and competition he did and perform as well as he did.

Struble has more value than many here give him. He has good mobility, a high compete level, some offensive flair, is strong on his skates and can physically intimidate opponents. The Canadiens' management's view of Struble is reflected in that he was called up last year well before Mailloux.

Struble is a gamer, who, along with Xhekaj, will offer a physical response to those opponents who play a heavier game. It would be a mistake to trade Struble before we truly know what we have in this promising player.
Thanks for these guys!

I could only see highlights and read gdts on here.

Glad he’s had such a promising start. Also good to see he’s been showing flashes of the offensive potential we saw when initially drafted. Hope he doesn’t fade out like some of our other recent guys like Fleury et. al.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Just be thankful we have the intuitive Hughes at the helm of this storied franchise and not the inept Bergevin guiding the team’s fortunes. I shudder thinking about the damage that the Idiot Savant would have wrought in these circumstances if given the opportunity.
We have a log jam of sorts with the D, but no one has to be rushed to the show any more now that the Gong Show has moved to LA.
Hughes seems to have patience beyond, unlike his predecessor.

With Bergevin, I always found myself writing the word Brutal......................now it seems to be Trust the Process.
I like the current direction....

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
when I remember how Craig Ludwig, lyle odelein, Mathieu Schneider , they all took way longer to became the players they did then most here are willing to give a player like Struble
Here's more objective evidence of Struble's intense physicality when he played in the NCAA where he properly earned a reputation as a fearsome physical defenceman . it's interesting to see how often opposing players are knocked down on their asses when Struble engages them. In football we use to call it decleting an opponent.

This is not a player that you add as a mere throw-in to scratch the always present itch to acquire a new shiny toy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Here's more objective evidence of Struble's intense physicality when he played in the NCAA where he properly earned a reputation as a fearsome physical defenceman . it's interesting to see how often opposing players are knocked down on their asses when Struble engages them. In football we use to call it decleting an opponent.

This is not a player that you add as a mere throw-in to scratch the always present itch to acquire a new shiny toy.

I think Harris is gone, before Struble....I like the physicality Stuble and The Sherriff both bring to the game.......habs need that element of toughness

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's true that it takes time. But they all graduated at the NHL level at a young age. They learned and progressed in the NHL. It takes time ... but it also takes NHL experience. Ludwig graduated in the NHL at 21 and did not play a single AHL game. Odelein graduated at 22 after two AHL season but got 8 games of NHL experience as a 21 years old. Schneider graduated at 21 after one AHL season but got 44 games of NHL experience as a 20 years old.

It takes time but you don't become a NHLer by playing in the AHL. There's a few cases here and there of guys spending significantly more than 100 games in the AHL and who become good players but most good players spend around a 100ish games in the AHL max.

Reactions: tazsub3

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Harris playing both sides might make him a safer keep than struble, imo
What is the urgency in not keeping both? Both have already played in the NHL and have played adequately. There is no certainty that any of our prized prospects will ever be able to play at the same level. If they can, then you are in position to deal the excess talent from a position of strength. The idea is to maximize your assets. Not hold a fire sale.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
It's true that it takes time. But they all graduated at the NHL level at a young age. They learned and progressed in the NHL. It takes time ... but it also takes NHL experience. Ludwig graduated in the NHL at 21 and did not play a single AHL game. Odelein graduated at 22 after two AHL season but got 8 games of NHL experience as a 21 years old. Schneider graduated at 21 after one AHL season but got 44 games of NHL experience as a 20 years old.

It takes time but you don't become a NHLer by playing in the AHL. There's a few cases here and there of guys spending significantly more than 100 games in the AHL and who become good players but most good players spend around a 100ish games in the AHL max.
Yea but struble made it to the nhl , even though many of us here saw him staying much longer in ahl .
The fact that some think he has reached his ceiling is just simply wrong

Reactions: salbutera

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It's going to be interesting to see what Hughes is able to do with the surplus of D. Clearly it's impossible to keep them all.

Will he let them develop and keep the crew a.c m of the cop, and then trade off those that aren't the the top 6? If so, will he be able to trade them at a point where their trade value is decent?

Will he trade a big fish for a big fish forward?

Will Matheson be traded or is he part of the future until he's 35 to 37?

One thing is fir sure, there is at least one year before he has to trade another dman. But if both Struble and Xhekaj aren't going to be sent to Laval, going into this season with 8 NHL dmen, most of them being young guys that need to play, isn't ideal.

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Struble
Harris Barron

Plus Guhle is still playing his off side.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's going to be interesting to see what Hughes is able to do with the surplus of D. Clearly it's impossible to keep them all.

Will he let them develop and keep the crew a.c m of the cop, and then trade off those that aren't the the top 6? If so, will he be able to trade them at a point where their trade value is decent?

Will he trade a big fish for a big fish forward?

Will Matheson be traded or is he part of the future until he's 35 to 37?

One thing is fir sure, there is at least one year before he has to trade another dman. But if both Struble and Xhekaj aren't going to be sent to Laval, going into this season with 8 NHL dmen, most of them being young guys that need to play, isn't ideal.

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Struble
Harris Barron

Plus Guhle is still playing his off side.
Some young D will play tons of minutes in Laval and of course you know there will be injuries.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Some young D will play tons of minutes in Laval and of course you know there will be injuries.
It's true that it's not the end of the world if Struble starts the year in Laval until there are injuries. It seems strange to have an NHL D in Laval. But it's probably short term and not the end of the world.

If there are no trades I have it:

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Harris
Barron

Struble Mailloux
Engstrom Reinbacher
Trudeau ________

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
It's true that it's not the end of the world if Struble starts the year in Laval until there are injuries. It seems strange to have an NHL D in Laval. But it's probably short term and not the end of the world.

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Harris
Barron

Struble Mailloux
Engstrom Reinbacher
Trudeau ________
Im going to be disapointed if Mailloux starts in Laval, or at least, he shouldnt be there for very long. I think he proves he was able to handle the AHL. Now I could see him on our 3rd pair. Unless he has a really bad camp

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Im going to be disapointed if Mailloux starts in Laval, or at least, he shouldnt be there for very long. I think he proves he was able to handle the AHL. Now I could see him on our 3rd pair. Unless he has a really bad camp
For those who think Matheson is a defensive liability, Mailloux makes Matheson look like Scott Stevens in the defensive zone. As some know, I have been a huge Mailloux supporter since he was a surprise first round choice in 2021 and have followed his development path closely since. While possessing great offensive skills (shot, first pass, offensive vision and creativity) he remains challenged defensively. I will watch him with interest this year, but with the wave of young talent already on the roster (Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Struble) and on the horizon (Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Konyushkov) it wouldn't surprise me if it is Mailloux who is moved before some of the other usual suspects that are often identified here.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
For those who think Matheson is a defensive liability, Mailloux makes Matheson look like Scott Stevens in the defensive zone. As some know, I have been a huge Mailloux supporter since he was a surprise first round choice in 2021 and have followed his development path closely since. While possessing great offensive skills (shot, first pass, offensive vision and creativity) he remains challenged defensively. I will watch him with interest this year, but the with wave of young talent already on the roster (Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Struble) and on the horizon (Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Konyushkov) it wouldn't surprise me if it is Mailloux who is moved before some of the other usual suspects that are often identified here.
xhekaj, Harris, Struble remains bottom pair Defenseman on a contender. I consider Mailloux as a next top 4. There is no reason to trade him because we already have xhekaj, harris and struble.
Mailloux is big, mobile, has a cannon shot. Yeah he has some flaws in his zone, but he brings a lot of stuff

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Harris
Barron

Struble Mailloux
Engstrom Reinbacher
Trudeau ________
Hughes I am sure is working on improving the roster which means a young D or two will probably find new homes soon.
We are at the stage of using assets to get help in other areas. It may happen before camp, during camp or early in the season. I know Habs fans are not the most patient but I am convinced that Hughes will get it done soon.
If you have a guy like Struble clearly too good for the AHL, a competent GM will create a spot for him.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
xhekaj, Harris, Struble remains bottom pair Defenseman on a contender. I consider Mailloux as a next top 4. There is no reason to trade him because we already have xhekaj, harris and struble.
Mailloux is big, mobile, has a cannon shot. Yeah he has some flaws in his zone, but he brings a lot of stuff
I question how mobile he really is. In London, Mailloux showed the skating ability to transport the puck through three zones of the ice. And he did so at least a couple of times each period. In Laval last year, where I watched most of his games, I rarely saw Mailloux display the mobility to carry the puck from his defensive zone, through the neutral ice zone and establish control in the offensive zone.

Let's see how he plays early next season both at camp and the start of the season whether its in Montreal or Laval.

I have a lot of respect for this young player's determination. He has faced public humiliation, serious injury and the detrimental effects of long periods of inactivity due to COVID, suspension and injury. These are challenges that would have sidelined many careers. In my long tenure as a lawyer and now administrator of a large sport organization I have had do deal with a number of talented but troubled youths. Many were unable to overcome their wrong decisions and life circumstances. I believe Mailloux is cut from different cloth. Despite my apparent concerns for this young player's ultimate upside I am pulling for him and hope that Mailloux enjoys the career that I was predicting (and hoping for) when I first started to post about his development.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yea but struble made it to the nhl , even though many of us here saw him staying much longer in ahl .
The fact that some think he has reached his ceiling is just simply wrong
I saw a lot of Struble play prep school hockey here, we didn’t get to see his on ice viciousness at the NHL ….yet, as he spent last season collecting his bearings

Watch out when he does, new age Scott Stevens - high end mobility & physicality

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

It should be evident to all that we have a player who knows how to take the body.
It's clear to me he hasn't completely unleashed this part of his game as he adapts to the NHL.
I liked seeing him being effective on both sides on the ice. I still think he's a guy who can play RD when needed.

Reactions: Tyson

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It should be evident to all that we have a player who knows how to take the body.
It's clear to me he hasn't completely unleashed this part of his game as he adapts to the NHL.
I liked seeing him being effective on both sides on the ice. I still think he's a guy who can play RD when needed.
That’s what seems to be lost on many, after Matheson’s silkiness, Struble is probably the most mobile Dman of the group…

And he’s got a chip on his shoulder providing elite hunger & motivation - was picked on incessantly as the only non-homogenous player growing up in Rhode Island… that’s the type of scenario which usually lends itself to overachievers

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad