Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No, he's eventually going to be traded. It's clear that Struble and Harris don't have a long term future here but they can still play well and be great players who get traded for value to help us get something we need.
Harris is gone. We’ll see on Struble. Keep him as the 7th for now. You know there will be injuries, he’d be great to plug in there. I’m in no hurry to trade him.

Reactions: dralaf

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Well, the clip below shows that Struble might have a bit more sandpaper than you think.

He's the type of steel you need when you go into Florida and they try to run you out of the rink. This kid and Xhehaj are backing down to no one. They will create more space for our smaller, more skilled players; Caufield, Hutson, etc. and allow them to play much bigger. Of equally importance, is that both Struble and Xhekaj can skate and have skills. These are the type of players you win with.

They will be building blocks going forward.

I guess I am being too swayed by his performance down the stretch where he did not play well at all - maybe he wore down, who knows.

But I still worry about his ability to stay healthy

Point being he is what he is - a phyisicaly strong depth defenseman who’s had numerous past injuries .

I honestly don’t think he would have that much trade value

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I guess I am being too swayed by his performance down the stretch where he did not play well at all - maybe he wore down, who knows.

Point being he is what he is - a phyisicaly strong depth defenseman who’s had numerous past injuries .

Who not even had a full year in the league . I remember when those rugged d men reaxhed their potential 5-6 years into their career …. I guess we are in an instant gratification time where we need to see all in one year …. :)

Reactions: Deus ex machina

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He would have good trade value, as would Harris, teams would love to have cost controlled and young defenseman on their roster. Especially contenders. Dallas couldn't even trust their 6D last year and it cost them/

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I like him a lot. I just don’t know if he can crack the lineup long term.

Maybe he plays on his off side with X on the third pairing if Barron doesn’t work out.

On the left we’ve got Guhle, Hutson and X. On the right we’ve got RB, Mailloux and Barron. That doesn’t even factor in Matheson and Savard. It’s a logjam.
Hutson is not ready. Not sure when he would be. He may even need to get a Mark Streit deployment.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Can you point to us what, when and how he got.injured or is that just made up in your mind? Is numerous = 1?

Jul 6, 2016
struble won’t go for little . I am confident of that.
One full year and he can be valued like Romanov was .
Hard hitting big d are very valuable …. And even more when they are Greek gods !
And now Struble knows what it demands to be a NHL player. The kid ran out of gas in the last third of the season. He never played so much high level hockey in his life.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Defencemen take a while to adapt to the NHL game so it may be another full season before get an idea of what we really have in Struble. I project him as a solid 3rd pairing dman at this point, and I like how he plays the game and the dimensions he brings. I'm just not yet sure he'll be able to do it consistently against the league's top lines for a full season, which is what he'd need to do as a Top 4.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hutson is not ready. Not sure when he would be. He may even need to get a Mark Streit deployment.
I think he might be good enough skill wise but I hope they give him Subban treatment and let him play most of the year in AHL on a pairing with Reinbacher. Feel like both of them playing 24-26min/game in AHL with Beck/Mesar/Xhekaj/Tuch/Kidney can create a good winning environment and easier NHL transition.

We need to see what we have with Struble, Mailloux and Barron in the NHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Defencemen take a while to adapt to the NHL game so it may be another full season before get an idea of what we really have in Struble. I project him as a solid 3rd pairing dman at this point, and I like how he plays the game and the dimensions he brings. I'm just not yet sure he'll be able to do it consistently against the league's top lines for a full season, which is what he'd need to do as a Top 4.
We don't need him to be that.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
He's both safe and tough and his impressive athleticism reflects his work ethic. He's a very self-disciplined and dedicated young player who's safe, not slow and tough

Unless he's extremely unlucky with injuries or there's a prodigy among the less popular LD prospects, he's a lock on the bottom pair IMO. Him and Xhekaj are key players if the Habs want any semblance of team toughness. You need players like him to embolden the rest of the team to play with more edge

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I've never been worried about that. There isn't a kid on the back end who hasn't hit that wall.
Struble is very smart and will follow the development guidelines he's been given over the summer.
I really want to see him playing more RD because when he has played there when we invert in game he's looked very good.
This would allow would allow us to swap out lefties and righties for better load balance.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’d rather keep both until one or more of our defensive prospects proves they can play and succeed at the NHL level.
That's going to be more and more difficult with Matherson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris and Struble on the left with Hutson pushing the door and having a good chance to make the club out of camp. There may not be any room for either of them. At best you can go with:

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Barron
Harris/Struble - as 7th D. I don't see Habs leaving Hutson in Laval if he likely shows he's NHL ready. Habs would have to carry 8 D which barring injury, isn't sustainable.

You'd also have Mailloux and Reinbacher banging on the NHL door.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
That's going to be more and more difficult with Matherson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris and Struble on the left with Hutson pushing the door and having a good chance to make the club out of camp. There may not be any room for either of them. At best you can go with:

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Barron
Harris/Struble - as 7th D. I don't see Habs leaving Hutson in Laval if he likely shows he's NHL ready. Habs would have to carry 8 D which barring injury, isn't sustainable.

You'd also have Mailloux and Reinbacher banging on the NHL door.
There’s no difficulty there. The more the merrier. It’s akin to complaining that you’re too healthy. Let Hughes sort out who to keep and who to trade. The marketplace will determine the true value of our supposed bounty of defenceman.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
There’s no difficulty there. The more the merrier. It’s akin to complaining that you’re too healthy. Let Hughes sort out who to keep and who to trade. The marketplace will determine the true value of our supposed bounty of defenceman.
Oh, I'm not complaining about it at all. Just saying keeping them all won't be possible so they'll have to move some bodies eventually.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad