Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Let's hope so.
I've been disappointed many times already. Beaulieu, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Norlinder all looked great when they just started. Even Guhle and Harris, I find that they were better in his first season than his 2nd season.

Sophomore slump is a term for a reason. Not that I agree with what you are saying in totality.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I would hear alot about D men needing about 4 tears in pro to see what they have.

Except for Reinbacher all our D are lower 1st or lower round picks so no bag of blue chip players. Naturally enough such players are going to have a longer than shorter road to being the best they are going to become.

So no kidding inconsistencies and lots of lows. But if they have some good games at least there is potential.

We have numbers on D and some decent prospects. We are looking for no. 1, 2, 3 and 4 D men. I believe in Guhle we have a no.2D. For most of the prospects I don't think we can say we know what their ceiling will be with any confidence. So let's just see in this year 3 for a few of them, how they do. I have seen the Habs move out a ridiculous number of good D men or D prospects for lesser return. I don't want to see anymore of that.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I didn’t get to watch this year much at all.

I know he went through a bit of a rough patch. What’s your take on his season?

I thought he played very well, he had to match up with the best players in the league and sometimes on his off side. On a team that was one line deep.

There were moments that weren't good, there were hits he took you don't want him to take but you rarely see kids his age play the minutes and competition he did and perform as well as he did.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I didn’t get to watch this year much at all.

I know he went through a bit of a rough patch. What’s your take on his season?
Struble has more value than many here give him. He has good mobility, a high compete level, some offensive flair, is strong on his skates and can physically intimidate opponents. The Canadiens' management's view of Struble is reflected in that he was called up last year well before Mailloux.

Struble is a gamer, who, along with Xhekaj, will offer a physical response to those opponents who play a heavier game. It would be a mistake to trade Struble before we truly know what we have in this promising player.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Struble has more value than many here give him. He has good mobility, a high compete level, some offensive flair, is strong on his skates and can physically intimidate opponents. The Canadiens' management's view of Struble is reflected in that he was called up last year well before Mailloux.

Struble is a gamer, who, along with Xhekaj, will offer a physical response to those opponents who play a heavier game. It would be a mistake to trade Struble before we truly know what we have in this promising player.
Well said Admiral

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

Agreed 100%. I like him a lot. He's tough and he's tremendously mobile. We don't know yet what his ceiling is either.

Reactions: salbutera

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC

I see him as a more athletic/talented Gorges. A very useful piece.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Let's hope so.
I've been disappointed many times already. Beaulieu, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Norlinder all looked great when they just started. Even Guhle and Harris, I find that they were better in his first season than his 2nd season.
I'm sorry, what?? None of these looked that great compared to Strubble. Heck, Beaulieu had trouble making the roster even though there was a gaping hole destined for him and Tinordi every season. Norlinder looked great.... when?? Maybe Juulsen, yes, but then things happened.

Yeah Strubble strugled at the end of.... his first PRO season. The guy went almost directly from University to the NHL ffs. Physical, mobile....I think this guy is a keeper.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm sorry, what?? None of these looked that great compared to Strubble. Heck, Beaulieu had trouble making the roster even though there was a gaping hole destined for him and Tinordi every season. Norlinder looked great.... when?? Maybe Juulsen, yes, but then things happened.

Yeah Strubble strugled at the end of.... his first PRO season. The guy went almost directly from University to the NHL ffs. Physical, mobile....I think this guy is a keeper.
A keeper unless a team sees him as a valuable trade piece (similar to Romanov 2022) and not as a throw-in.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Don’t know - he’s been a injured quite often and while he may be strong, he didn’t exactly show that much sandpaper.

A #5/6 dman - if he can stay healthy

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

This board is weird, folks have all sorts of patience for "offensive" players that don't produce and yet defensemen that everyone knows or should know take a lot more time to develop, they want to write off. :nono:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Don’t know - he’s been a injured quite often and while he may be strong, he didn’t exactly show that much sandpaper.

A #5/6 dman - if he can stay healthy
Well, the clip below shows that Struble might have a bit more sandpaper than you think.

He's the type of steel you need when you go into Florida and they try to run you out of the rink. This kid and Xhehaj are backing down to no one. They will create more space for our smaller, more skilled players; Caufield, Hutson, etc. and allow them to play much bigger. Of equally importance, is that both Struble and Xhekaj can skate and have skills. These are the type of players you win with.

They will be building blocks going forward.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
This board is weird, folks have all sorts of patience for "offensive" players that don't produce and yet defensemen that everyone knows or should know take a lot more time to develop, they want to write off. :nono:

And for those who think that this kid has no offensive pop to his game watch the clip below. Watch Struble's skating, his acceleration with the puck and his nose for the net.

You don't trade this type of young player (unless its an overt overpayment ) until you know how this kid will shake out.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Nothing wrong with that. Competitive teams need strong 3rd pairing d-men who cannot be exploited.
This. I don't understand the stigma we get on this board from people about "he is only a bottom player". Championships are also won upon bottom 6 players, they are needed. Granted, if the entire prospects pool is full of bottom 6 players, then we have a problem, but a mix of both is great.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
This. I don't understand the stigma we get on this board from people about "he is only a bottom player". Championships are also won upon bottom 6 players, they are needed. Granted, if the entire prospects pool is full of bottom 6 players, then we have a problem, but a mix of both is great.
Having ‘a mix of both’ is also a realistic assessment of your prospect pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paddyjack

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He's gonna be a good player , especially with where the league is going , the guy is still a baby in defenseman years , I'd hate to lose him going forward

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I like him a lot. I just don’t know if he can crack the lineup long term.

Maybe he plays on his off side with X on the third pairing if Barron doesn’t work out.

On the left we’ve got Guhle, Hutson and X. On the right we’ve got RB, Mailloux and Barron. That doesn’t even factor in Matheson and Savard. It’s a logjam.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Maybe he plays on his off side with X on the third pairing if Barron doesn’t work out.

On the left we’ve got Guhle, Hutson and X. On the right we’ve got RB, Mailloux and Barron. That doesn’t even factor in Matheson and Savard. It’s a logjam.
There's a spot for him or X on the RD third pair. They could form the nastiest third pair in the league, there's a lot of value in that.

Hutson-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux/Engstrom
AX-Struble

The wild card is Mailloux/Engstrom but I like that.

You can be 100% sure that AX and Struble on the same pair would make both players that much better.

Reactions: Moxiesdad

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

Its a nice problem to have. Hughes has already demonstrated a Machavellian approach to asset management.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

No, he's eventually going to be traded. It's clear that Struble and Harris don't have a long term future here but they can still play well and be great players who get traded for value to help us get something we need.

Reactions: Redux91

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There's a spot for him or X on the RD third pair. They could form the nastiest third pair in the league, there's a lot of value in that.

Hutson-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux/Engstrom
AX-Struble

The wild card is Mailloux/Engstrom but I like that.

You can be 100% sure that AX and Struble on the same pair would make both players that much better.
I would have zero problem with a Struble X pairing. Somebody has to play on the right side though.

For now I’d say we have him as our 7th. Injuries are inevitable anyway so he’ll get in the lineup.

Love Struble and the dimension he brings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad