Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I just compare when Ramonov was with us. Struble uses his body and stick to separe opponent from the puck while Ramonov try a big hit to stop the oponent
Struble is far more mobile than Romanov.

Last night’s game was a statement game for Struble. In that 90 second sequence at the Montreal blueline where he knock over two Blackhawks and fought another, he sent a message to both other teams and his own team’s management: that he is here to stay. Any future plans will now almost assuredly pencil Struble in as one of Montreal ‘s top six defencmen.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Last night’s game was a statement game for Struble. In that 90 second sequence at the Montreal blueline where he knock over two Blackhawks and fought another, he sent a message to both other teams and his own team’s management: that he is here to stay. Any future plans will now almost assuredly pencil Struble in as one of Montreal ‘s top six defencmen.
He might be faster in a straight line but I don’t that Struble is far more mobile, Romanov 4 way mobility was extremely impressive and he was a lot smoother.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

And intimidating. Romanov was a whiz at open ice hits, but Struble can handle himself in a scrap in ways that the former couldn't.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
oh yes of course that must be it. Subban had incredible agility and angles. He was a uniquely talented skater whose strengths in those areas made up for a lack of top end speed. He definitely slowed down but your statement is false.

:help::help::help:

The man was a slow, ugly skater who had serious problems pivoting.......these are facts. Was he strong as hell on his edges, yes but his feet were not nimble and lower body strength combined with elite hands and upper body deception are what allowed him to beat defenders. It is hilarious how many people on here cite edge work when they don't actually know what it means or how to evaluate it.

Subban was a good player for a period of time but was always overrated and should never have even sniffed a Norris. I was selfishly hoping he would win it because I live in the heart of Leaf Nation and it was a fun flex but I knew that his relationship with the media who loved him and ultimately voted for him was the main reason that he won. Why are media betas even given a vote? Lebron James was voted as 1st team all defensive team player 5 consecutive season by opposing coaches. The second that they changed the voting to the media who hated him he was never named to a 1st team all defensive team again and completely ignored every year other than the first year where they immediately relegated him to the 2nd team all defensive player team. The media and fans in all pro sports are woefully inept and incredibly biased.

Anyways....argue with me if you like and recruit some followers, it matters little to me. All one can do is speak the truth and hope a small percentage will catch on. I spent alot of time when I was younger being wrong and admitting I was wrong which is how I learnt and when I see people making the same mistakes that I made I can not judge them unless they continue to make them and refuse to strive for personal growth.

Reactions: HabzSauce

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With so many solid D prospects you have to think that a Dman gets moved soon. I don't see how Harris is ultimately a fixture in the top 6 D.
If Harris's trade value isn't that high right now, I wonder if Hughes doesn't keep him around this and next year as the #7. There will most probably be injuries.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Anyways....argue with me if you like and recruit some followers, it matters little to me. All one can do is speak the truth and hope a small percentage will catch on. I spent alot of time when I was younger being wrong and admitting I was wrong which is how I learnt and when I see people making the same mistakes that I made I can not judge them unless they continue to make them and refuse to strive for personal growth.
LOL bud, PK has been gone for 8 years. If "all you can do is people catch on", it means PK lives in your head rent free. Let it go.

BTW Subban might not have been a great skater, but he's one of the stongest skaters I've seen. He carried guys on his back while protecting the puck in his zone like no one else.

Reactions: Surfer72

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
LOL bud, PK has been gone for 8 years. If "all you can do is people catch on", it means PK lives in your head rent free. Let it go.

BTW Subban might not have been a great skater, but he's one of the stongest skaters I've seen. He carried guys on his back while protecting the puck in his zone like no one else.

I was replying to comments about PK so if that hurts your feelings than that is a you problem. As for the second part.....you just backed up what I was saying about his skating.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
He might be faster in a straight line but I don’t that Struble is far more mobile, Romanov 4 way mobility was extremely impressive and he was a lot smoother.
Frankly, I always thought that Romanov was one our most overrated prospects. Struble is stronger, faster and offers much more offensive potential. He’s just a more dynamic player. And he can fight. There is no doubt in this writer’s mind that Struble will be a core player for this fabled franchise going forward.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Ramonov is also a very good skater as Strube is but his first option is hitting, if it doesn'nt work, he is in trouble. In other hand, Strube follow the oppenent, pushing and using the stick to get the puck. I find Strube's style is far more effective than Ramonov's. Strube can be a perfect partner in 1st pair .

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Ramonov is also a very good skater as Strube is but his first option is hitting, if it doesn'nt work, he is in trouble. In other hand, Strube follow the oppenent, pushing and using the stick to get the puck. I find Strube's style is far more effective than Ramonov's. Strube can be a perfect partner in 1st pair .
I like Alex Romanov alot but I have to be honest here....Struble will become a much more rounded Dman.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
If Harris's trade value isn't that high right now, I wonder if Hughes doesn't keep him around this and next year as the #7. There will most probably be injuries.
Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux and Engstrom should be in the AHL next year to start the year. Maybe one (or two) of Kovacevic, Matheson and Savard will be gone. Harris will have a spot at the start IMO.

Reactions: DAChampion

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think Hutson will be on the first pairing, he's too big a competitor to be relegated to specialized duty. He'll figure out how to play better D eventually.
I think you’re probably right. We’ll have to see how his game transitions to the NHL but the best predictor of the future is past success. He’s been nothing short of fantastic in the minors. Yea he’s got things to work on and size is always a factor but I’ve got to think he’ll be a first pairing blueliner. Looking forward to seeing him in the WJT.

As for Stuble, he’s looking like a fixture in the top six. Where? I’m not sure. But that goes to the depth of the organization.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I like Alex Romanov alot but I have to be honest here....Struble will become a much more rounded Dman.
Romanov has scored 8 goals in his first 3 and half seasons in the NHL. Struble has scored 2 goals in his first 15 games. And with any luck could have had a couple more. Struble brings the same level of physicality as Romanov but has an offensive potential that Romanov has never exhibited. Struble is a much more dynamic player.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The man was a slow, ugly skater who had serious problems pivoting.......these are facts. Was he strong as hell on his edges, yes but his feet were not nimble and lower body strength combined with elite hands and upper body deception are what allowed him to beat defenders. It is hilarious how many people on here cite edge work when they don't actually know what it means or how to evaluate it.

Subban was a good player for a period of time but was always overrated and should never have even sniffed a Norris. I was selfishly hoping he would win it because I live in the heart of Leaf Nation and it was a fun flex but I knew that his relationship with the media who loved him and ultimately voted for him was the main reason that he won. Why are media betas even given a vote? Lebron James was voted as 1st team all defensive team player 5 consecutive season by opposing coaches. The second that they changed the voting to the media who hated him he was never named to a 1st team all defensive team again and completely ignored every year other than the first year where they immediately relegated him to the 2nd team all defensive player team. The media and fans in all pro sports are woefully inept and incredibly biased.

I don’t care how many scouts you’ve had coffee with and I don’t care how ‘ugly’ his skating was. Subban was one of the best blueliners in the league and was well deserving of his Norris and Norris consideration. Moreover he’s one of the best clutch players we ever had and was an absolute monster in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I agree when the coach says he stole a chair that is exactly what he means. Marty decides who plays end of story.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
People can't seem to compartmentalize the skating skill. There are different aspects of skating you can judge. I don't pretend to be a good evaluator, but I can understand how one player can be elite at one part of skating and still be a bad skater.

Lane has good edgework which he uses with his deception and stick work to fool opponents. However, he is not an explosive skater (he barely creates any separation when he manages to fake opponents) and he cannot keep pace with opposing forwards rushing at him, especially in a backward stance.

Subban was Powerful and, early in his career, could have enough acceleration to rush it up ice (although to be fair it was not a great success rate as he kept turning it over), but was not overly fast or efficient in his stride.

Also, keep in mind MrBip is the same guy who made a fool of himself as early as this offseason repeatedly calling Petry a better skater than Matheson. Take his opinion with a dead sea of salt.

Reactions: Favster and Walksss

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux and Engstrom should be in the AHL next year to start the year. Maybe one (or two) of Kovacevic, Matheson and Savard will be gone. Harris will have a spot at the start IMO.
Two things.
Montreal did not give Mike Matheson an "A" only to trade him the following season.
I suggest you check our record with and without Savard in the lineup.

You have to weigh the value of the player's contribution to our team vs what they can possibly fetch on the market.
The Habs want to try and compete beginning next season. Savard has a year left and although I'm hard on Matheson he plays his best hockey alongside David.

It would take an over-payment to land Matheson and what could Savard bring in that is worth more than his steadying influence on our D as a whole?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Unless we receive an acute overpayment, Matheson is going no where. Forget about his cost effectiveness , his leadership, his incredible mobility, that he is a local boy who actually wants to play under the intense spotlight that is Montreal, the fact that the coaching staff plays him close to 30 minutes a game in all situations provides you with comprehensive evidence as to how they value Matheson’s role on the team.

Every game. Every shift, the Matheson for Petry trade looks better. Just ask Pittsburgh’s management and their fans if they would like a re-do. Oh yeah, I forgot. The geniuses who made that trade have been fired for their utter incompetence.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
I'll admit I was wrong on Struble with his injuries and little improvement on his offensive numbers in his career before turning pro. I wasn't as optimistic as he turned out to be. With that being said, his seamless transition to the pros is quite impressive indeed.

On the other hand, I still very much doubt his 'offensive potential' thing this board has a tendancy to put on every young defenseman. Norlinder, Romanov, Mete, Harris were all supposed to have this 'offensive potential' thing and now while struble going great, I feel his bread and butter will be complementing our more offensively skilled defensemans. Hutson, Matheson, Mailloux, Barron to name a few, I doubt Struble will ever be able to get reps on either powerplay so that limits his potential production.

However, I under-estimated his smarts with the puck. I feel he doesn't make a lot of mistakes and plays physical and with grit. I'm looking forward to see what he can do against better oppponents with more ice time.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
He seems good, like the skating defense and physicality, but I am not optimistic about him developing much of an offensive game. I think if he sticks around his offensive production will be 15-20 points per year. If I'm right then his profile matches that of Joel Edmundson and Ben Chiarot (though I think Struble plays better defensively than Chiarot). I thought both those players were good for Habs and that is good value for a mid-second round pick imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad