Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
This kid seems to have fixed his lingering groin issues he had in college (touching wood). If he can stay healthy we have a good one, his combination of speed, strength and smarts are extremely rare.
He missed all pre-season games because of an injury, it was probably his groin, it shows up after a prolonged break, not during the season.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Struble impressed me alot. I think that he just accomplish what coach staffs ask him to do.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Petry was a much better skater than Matheson though wtf are you on about?

Matheson is fast but his fourway mobility is nowhere as good as Jeff, its also a very good reason why MM isnt as good in the offensive zone.
I disagree. Mm is ELITE on his edges. As for offence… MM with the Habs is scoring at a high rate… higher than Petry.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
He missed all pre-season games because of an injury, it was probably his groin, it shows up after a prolonged break, not during the season.

I think I read something (last summer) to the effect that they finally found the source of this lingering issue that has been plaguing him.

Reactions: tnq

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Struble is one of those modern athletes that trained multi-sports instead of honing in on exclusively Hockey his whole youth. He has extremely high athletic literacy so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him develop past what a lot of people project him as

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
It was obvious from the very beginning last spring in Laval that Struble was a very solid prospect that was very close to the NHL. So I am not surprised to see how good he is with the Habs this year. He got his chance and took it. He came in at almost 22 years old. He has maturity, he is physically and mentally strong and he brings a simple and straight forward game. Something he will be able to build on with more experience, but he had a package that was well suited for the NHL. Stats watchers were totally fooled by him.

Strange to see no comments on Struble since his debut with Laval. I saw two games and I liked him a lot. He did not look overmatched in any ways. He made a seamless transition to the AHL level. Yes it's a very small sample, but I really like what I saw of him in these two games. I would even dare to say that he is not far from the NHL. Habs are in a position to be patient with him, but at only 21, he is a very legit prospect. Heineman is a proof that stat watching from a league to another can be misleading. I think that for a defense first D, watching stats can be even more misleading.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It was obvious from the very beginning last spring in Laval that Struble was a very solid prospect that was very close to the NHL. So I am not surprised to see how good he is with the Habs this year. He got his chance and took it. He came in at almost 22 years old. He has maturity, he is physically and mentally strong and he brings a simple and straight forward game. Something he will be able to build on with more experience, but he had a package that was well suited for the NHL. Stats watchers were totally fooled by him.

Gawd I like being right on this one!

There were so many stat worshippers on this board that entirely discounted my opinion on him. Even today, another one with the "fans know as much as scouts" nonsense that I still have to contend with. There are actually posters who believe that you are better off drafting entirely off of stats and don't even need to see the players lol. They mostly exist in IL prison but it is incredibly annoying to contend with.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
They way fans were looking at Struble as a prospect was the total opposite to the way they look now at Lane Hutson. Struble was not flashy in the NCAA, modest stats, but we knew he was an elite athlete, very strong physically despite the fact that he was injury prone with a groin problem that seems to be solved now. But Struble had a package and a style of play that was relatively easy to project into the NHL. He was a heavy duty machine that you knew would be able to do the basic job a D needs to do, which is to defend. Any upgrade on that would come with experience.

Hutson is the opposite, he is like a fragile high tech machine. Very good to do high level tasks on offense, but will he ever be able to defend at a decent level in the NHL and resist physical play? Fans like the spectacular stuff with prospects, and big stats, but forget to think about how it is transferable to the NHL. That's why Struble was undervalued as a prospect, and Hutson is way overvalued now. To meet expectations placed on him by many (1st pairing D) he will need to overcome so much. If he succeeds at that he will really be one of a kind.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
They way fans were looking at Struble as a prospect was the total opposite to the way they look now at Lane Hutson. Struble was not flashy in the NCAA, modest stats, but we knew he was an elite athlete, very strong physically despite the fact that he was injury prone with a groin problem that seems to be solved now. But Struble had a package and a style of play that was relatively easy to project into the NHL. He was a heavy duty machine that you knew would be able to do the basic job a D needs to do, which is to defend. Any upgrade on that would come with experience.

Hutson is the opposite, he is like a fragile high tech machine. Very good to do high level tasks on offense, but will he ever be able to defend at a decent level in the NHL and resist physical play? Fans like the spectacular stuff with prospects, and big stats, but forget to think about how it is transferable to the NHL. That's why Struble was undervalued as a prospect, and Hutson is way overvalued now. To meet expectations placed on him by many (1st pairing D) he will need to overcome so much. If he succeeds at that he will really be one of a kind.
I’d prefer saying, as I posted in the Hutson thread: Hutson’s game will be dependent on the success of MSLs concept implementation, whereas Struble was a standard NHL fit.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Struble is one of those modern athletes that trained multi-sports instead of honing in on exclusively Hockey his whole youth. He has extremely high athletic literacy so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him develop past what a lot of people project him as
Great point. Makes me think of the all round athleticism of other multi sport athletes in the pros. They all had that trait.

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
He's a keeper! I like to watch"The Hockey Guy" For Western Catch-ups.. He saiid same thing I heard.. Dumb arse anouncercer called him Studdle.. Dumd-Arse!.. Announcers(Respect) to at least get a Man's name right? Speciallay after taking down 2 Guys. Like a Traffffic Enforcer!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

You mean like virtually every player from the 1950's and 1960's, who grew up playing several sports like Lacrosse, boxing, hockey, baseball, etc, and that many people today laughably think were lesser athletes than random modern NHLers?

Players back in O6 were great all-around athletes. They didn't specialize. When the going gets tough, I'm betting on all-aroundness over specialization.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Not sure how old you are but every hockey player growing up probably into the early 90's were multi-sport athletes. It was very rare to see a kid growing up playing just one sport their whole childhood.

Just my opinion of course but it's very disheartening seeing kids not playing everything they can while growing up. They miss out on so much.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Just my opinion of course but it's very disheartening seeing kids not playing everything they can while growing up. They miss out on so much.

Money and time are in short supply. Nowadays both parents work to have a lesser standard of living than back when only one parent worked. Commute times and paperwork piles are longer as well.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Money and time are in short supply. Nowadays both parents work to have a lesser standard of living than back when only one parent worked. Commute times and paperwork piles are longer as well.
Yeah I know. The person I quoted was saying today's athlete being multi-sport oriented, which I don't believe is true because of the reasons you've dictated. I was saying years ago it was the norm where kids would play everything growing up.

I feel for kids today where so many don't have the ability to try everything

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
A year or two ago Struble wasn't one of our top prospects. Now he arguably our best young player. I hope Engstrom and Konyushkov follow silimar route

He was always one of our top prospects.

His talent was obvious from Day 1.

He should have gone in the 1st round.

Only caveat now is how injury prone he is.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Some were down on him only because his offensive stats were not impressive, and because of his style of play. Defense first Ds are boring most of the time, but you need them.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Some were down on him only because his offensive stats were not impressive, and because of his style of play. Defense first Ds are boring most of the time, but you need them.

It was yet another example of people who are critical of scouts but have absolutely zero hockey acumen themselves and are unable to apply any context to the stats that they worship.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Gawd I like being right on this one!

There were so many stat worshippers on this board that entirely discounted my opinion on him. Even today, another one with the "fans know as much as scouts" nonsense that I still have to contend with. There are actually posters who believe that you are better off drafting entirely off of stats and don't even need to see the players lol. They mostly exist in IL prison but it is incredibly annoying to contend with.
The problem with your sources don't even have credible or accuracy of any scouts displaying anything, you are only reading of based articles that don't pose any accountability. I don't know if you're an internet scout like the rest of "stat worshippers"

You like to approach first hand prospects of being terrible at everything else.

..Please

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Excellent post. He's a combination of strength, mobility, and smarts. With good positioning alone he can become very good. If he ever improved his puck skills, watch out!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad