Player Discussion Jay Beagle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not an effin chance

so a third of the NHL was considering signing Beagle for 4 years, while younger better centers got less term.
His agent bluffed Benning with fake offers.

Yet you believe there was a bidding war for Beagle or you believe there wasn't one.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
interesting mid-season breakdown of beagle by a caps blogger. talks about his extreme defensive deployment last year as a 4th liner and as a drop-in face off guy. i wonder if the canucks went after him as a pure malholtra, or whether they think he will bounce back in less rigid deployment.

Jay Beagle’s workload is not okay

defensive-f.png

adamzilla

Mar 9, 2008
Vancouver
God I hope they went after him as a pure Malhotra type as there's nothing for him to "bounce back" to. The dude had 22 points last season, 8 less than his career high, I don't expect him to match or exceed 30 points in his life again, and that's fine if he's playing a purely defensive role. But hopefully he's able to find consistent linemates here, whoever they may be.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I think they got Beagle for extreme defensive deployment, to free up Sutter for extreme offensive deployment.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Which is completely absurd.

Well, yes. It would work as well as it happened to work in the past. However, for the sake of excitement and the feeling of something fresh and new, we can pretend that we don't notice that it's been tried before, or perhaps we can even argue that it didn't work before because of Willie. This is supposed to be the most optimistic point of the season. A fun, feel good time of "what can be" ... and "all things are possible" . It would be great for something that Benning touches to not be turned into sickness and death. It could work, if being polite to not notice that it won't... all thing are possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
It's much easier to spend money and fix things like a crappy PK. Sounds like it's fairly certain he will do that

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Corsi guys are never going to be able to square the circle of guys with extreme defensive deployment. That's not to say that Beagle was a good pickup for us at this time. He is a minor upgrade on Brendan "LOL 0 goals" Gaunce for 3 milx4 and because of that we are kind of stuck with him.

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Any tracking of how many times Beagle took a defensive draw and then changed on the fly once the puck crossed the red line? Considering he took over 40% of all 5v5 defensive zone draws, and played with a bushel full of wingers, and the Caps have some high octane offensive options, I'd bet he went "faceoff, clear, change" as much as anyone in the league. Have to think that impacted his corsi at least a little bit.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Corsi guys are never going to be able to square the circle of guys with extreme defensive deployment. That's not to say that Beagle was a good pickup for us at this time. He is a minor upgrade on Brendan "LOL 0 goals" Gaunce for 3 milx4 and because of that we are kind of stuck with him.

Why are corsi guys not able to... something something?
You can take a look at someones corsi stats and then take a look at his zone starts and compare the two. Dont understand your point.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Think i would have been happier with 3 years but i guess management saw something in him that will make it worth the extra year. Not a team braker or anything and hopefully works out

Reactions: OEL for Norris

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Any tracking of how many times Beagle took a defensive draw and then changed on the fly once the puck crossed the red line? Considering he took over 40% of all 5v5 defensive zone draws, and played with a bushel full of wingers, and the Caps have some high octane offensive options, I'd bet he went "faceoff, clear, change" as much as anyone in the league. Have to think that impacted his corsi at least a little bit.

IIRC, with Malhotra, this was reflected in the differential between shifts beginning in the D zone and ending in the offensive zone.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Think i would have been happier with 3 years but i guess management saw something in him that will make it worth the extra year. Not a team braker or anything and hopefully works out

It's probably better to expect that the team's UFA signings wouldn't be good in their last year or even the year before that. Even with Gillis' signings, the players that he signed with full NTCs were looking like terrible contracts by their 2nd last year. This is really nothing new. If the team is lucky, Beagle is going to have two great years, and be a severely overpaid but still a legitimate 4th line C in his last two years.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I find it deeply ironic that the Burrows retirement thread often references Burrows rise from the ECHL to the NHL as some sort of wonderful thing that mitigates the endless parade of sleazy moves the guy pulled during his career but Beagle's record of winning the championship there, plus the AHL, plus the NHL counts for nothing here. Maybe Beagle should bite somebody to get in good with Canuck fans...

Reactions: Jimbo57

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I find it deeply ironic that the Burrows retirement thread often references Burrows rise from the ECHL to the NHL as some sort of wonderful thing that mitigates the endless parade of sleazy moves the guy pulled during his career but Beagle's record of winning the championship there, plus the AHL, plus the NHL counts for nothing here. Maybe Beagle should bite somebody to get in good with Canuck fans...
D.R.A.G.O.N
S.L.A.Y.E.R

Get out a here with that crap :rant:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Did you even think before hammering the down the keyboard? Beagle played a grand total of 8 ECHL regular season games where he had 10 points. Then in 18 playoff games he managed just 3 points - seems like a true post season warrior!!!

And by the way, Burrows scored almost as many points as Beagle had NHL games under his belt.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I remember a mid-season interview with Ferraro talking about Beagle and how he has/had been a "glue guy" in Washington for the past number of years. I guess you can't put a price tag on a team playing like a team.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I remember a mid-season interview with Ferraro talking about Beagle and how he has/had been a "glue guy" in Washington for the past number of years. I guess you can't put a price tag on a team playing like a team.
Good to know. I thought there was something more going on with this guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad