Post-Game Talk: Jarry, GMR, and CODY CECI bring their "A" game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Lafferty was in the box for 4 minutes. It should have been evened out.

Don't even get me started. The holding call was dumb. Slashing is also dumb but more forgivable, provided on the context and that you don't get five + a game. I've always been of the opinion that holding is a lazy man's penalty, and should be punished worse by your coach than getting 2 for roughing or interference, etc.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Once again, who is playing in his place?

People around here already hate DOC because he cost them the Caps game. DOC isn’t exactly tearing it up either so...

There isn’t anyone else as long as E-Rod is out, and he will get whipping boy status pretty soon after he joins the lineup.

Feel free to give me a name of someone that will be better than Laff - because I can’t think of anyone.

I don't know if he would be better than Lafferty but I would like to see Jordy get a rep or two. He's playing well to start his second season in the AHL and I think has more upside. If we are looking for long term investments, he is still only 21.

I dont think he would come light the world on fire but he could play the 5-6 minutes angello is getting. I think we would have seen him by now if not for Covid Protocols and how tough it is moving players to the NHL from the AHL.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think it's fair to argue that what you get from GCR and GMR is comparable. So, the question is, from a team perspective, do you get more out of another line with Crosby playing with the leftovers or Malkin playing with the leftovers. There have been many times in the past, based on the team's construction, that the answer was Malkin. This year, it's Crosby . . . it's so hard to imagine him (and the team) being worse with the leftovers than Malkin has been that it's coaching malpractice not to experiment.

We both know what's going to happen, of course . . .

I suspect this team would be better if GMR was a permanent line, but Crosby is the face of the franchise and Malkin is Robin... that’s just how it is.

I’m not sure how else to argue around that reality.

I don't know if he would be better than Lafferty but I would like to see Jordy get a rep or two. He's playing well to start his second season in the AHL and I think has more upside. If we are looking for long term investments, he is still only 21.

I dont think he would come light the world on fire but he could play the 5-6 minutes angello is getting. I think we would have seen him by now if not for Covid Protocols and how tough it is moving players to the NHL from the AHL.

I’m all for giving JB a shot, and he may get that adrenaline start that could help the team.

Over time though, people would bag on him like Laff though. I don’t see anything with JB that gets me excited TBTH.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've seen talk in here also that 'GMR wasn't dominant because Malkin only had one measly assist'.

I took a look, just to refresh my memory, what GMR did in their first game together last year. It was eerily like this year.

That game was a 6-1 win against Toronto, with a shorty late in the game. So, 5 goals before that, and here was your breakdown:

1. A PP goal that was all Harlem Globetrotters. Malkin got a secondary assist on that one. He didn't on this one because he started the sequence.

2. A grand total of 1 goal from GMR. That was from Malkin, assisted by Jake and Rust. This was for Rust, assisted by Letang and Malkin.

3. Everything else was contributions from the other guys who elevated, including like last night 2 goals from a Sullivan 'favorite', Dominik Kahun.

And that was against a lesser opponent than last night.

It's all academic, of course. Even if GMR plays like this for a few more games, even if the Pens somehow manage to take the majority of points in this three game set with the Flyers, it's not going to stick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think it's fair to argue that what you get from GCR and GMR is comparable. So, the question is, from a team perspective, do you get more out of another line with Crosby playing with the leftovers or Malkin playing with the leftovers. There have been many times in the past, based on the team's construction, that the answer was Malkin. This year, it's Crosby . . . it's so hard to imagine him (and the team) being worse with the leftovers than Malkin has been that it's coaching malpractice not to experiment.

We both know what's going to happen, of course . . .

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust is a good line, but it does not shape our system the way GMR does.

Guentzel plays an east west game with Crosby that is about him finding holes in the oppositions coverage and capitalizing while Crosby and Rust cycle.

GMR plays a north south game which is about stretching the ice and the oppositions coverage and dominating the team from a 200ft level.

GMR just looks so exhausting to play against where as Guentzel - Crosby - Rust just looks like another example of Crosby with good line mates.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Lafferty in the box? Lets keep the guy who has 5 SHG in the last 2.5 seasons and 2G on the day on the bench. Seems like a solid play.

@KIRK made a good point. Kapanen is getting the Kahun treatment. Otherwise known as the Pearson treatment. Otherwise known previously as the Rust treatment.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I suspect this team would be better if GMR was a permanent line, but Crosby is the face of the franchise and Malkin is Robin... that’s just how it is.

I’m not sure how else to argue around that reality.

Of course.

The great irony here is that you need the Geno you get with GMR to go anywhere, but . . .

In a true fantasy world, Sid would go to the coach and GM and say that.

EDIT: It will be funny as Malkin stutters along over the next 18 months and to everyone's surprise chooses to go to Florida where he suddenly is reborn playing between Huberdeau and Hornqvist (or something like that) and everyone is dumbfounded. :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think both have been handed about equal terms as far as line-mates go.

Sid: "What? Guentzel & Rust for Christmas? I must have been a good boy!

Sorry, Geno.... You chose to sulk and not play with fire and ousted Kessel or else... Geno, You F.....UP!"

Reactions: KIRK and Gurglesons

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Guentzel - Crosby - Rust is a good line, but it does not shape our system the way GMR does.

Guentzel plays an east west game with Crosby that is about him finding holes in the oppositions coverage and capitalizing while Crosby and Rust cycle.

GMR plays a north south game which is about stretching the ice and the oppositions coverage and dominating the team from a 200ft level.

GMR just looks so exhausting to play against where as Guentzel - Crosby - Rust just looks like another example of Crosby with good line mates.

As I said, it's not even about who's 'better'. They're quite clearly comparable. The question is whether the team, given its current construct, is better with Malkin or Crosby with the left overs.

Many times in the past, it was Malkin. Now, it's Crosby. Not that the question matters when there are other variables aside from just winning at play . . .

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Boston rolls along with a top scoring line. We have that same situation with GMR. We can't cater to Sid when we have a shortened season.

Reactions: Gurglesons

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Three penalties. All in the offensive zone. TBF, the holding call was.....suspect.

It most certainly was. All the same, we've seen Sullivan bench stars for less. :laugh:

It's not Lafferty's fault he's the teacher's pet, but I hope to god he stubs his toe every morning.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It is really up to Malkin to play like last night. When he is skating and seems to have a flow not sure line mates really matter as long as they are capable to read the play and react accordingly. Sid can be good with Kap and a LW who brings some wins on the boards and goes to the tough areas. I don't think McCann is that but I have thought about a Tanev, Sid Kap line.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Of course.

The great irony here is that you need the Geno you get with GMR to go anywhere, but . . .

In a true fantasy world, Sid would go to the coach and GM and say that.

EDIT: It will be funny as Malkin stutters along over the next 18 months and to everyone's surprise chooses to go to Florida where he suddenly is reborn playing between Huberdeau and Hornqvist (or something like that) and everyone is dumbfounded. :laugh:

If you are in Sullivan’s shoes - how do you get around it though?

Sullivan is a smart guy and he knows who the franchise is built around.

No coach who wants to keep his job is going to make Crosby second fiddle - but it is a catch 22 because the team seems to do better when Malkin gets more of the sugar.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
If you are in Sullivan’s shoes - how do you get around it though?

Sullivan is a smart guy and he knows who the franchise is built around.

No coach who wants to keep his job is going to make Crosby second fiddle - but it is a catch 22 because the team seems to do better when Malkin gets more of the sugar.

Then he's going to get fired, because this team isn't good enough with Crosby in the L1 hole with the current wingers available.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I FEEL LIKE THIS IS THE PERFECT GAME FOR ME TO SAY....

Who was defending Ceci at 1 Million.

Who was saying Kapanen would be awesome.

This guy with 2 arms!

Matheson was mixed feelings. I was pretty upset but I had hope because if you are going to give a young guy 8 years x 5 million there's gotta be something there.

Did research on him and was hopefuly his size and skating would work and he has far exceeded my expectations.

I won't lie one thing to mention is when looking at his offensive numbers in Florida his last year aren't as bad as you would expect from a defenseman who didn't get powerplay time.

Also GMR needs to stay I am not even saying it's better than GCR.

GMR gets Malkin going and allows are best offensive winger and are 3rd/4th best defensive center to get the 0 zone starts together.

Crosby works with anybody I know people say he's difficult to play with ya ya ya but I mean any line with Crosby he is going to do his thing. KAPANEN and McCann can do that.

I knew Jarry would bounce back.

I also realize we got out shot but I don't feel they had more danger shots then us?

Anyways ++++++++ for everyone but Lafferty

Reactions: SEALBound

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Then he's going to get fired, because this team isn't good enough with Crosby in the L1 hole with the current wingers available.

If Crosby is out a few games and GMR lights it up, he may keep that line together for a bit, but as soon as Crosby struggles it will be broken up again.

I doubt that leads to him getting fired, but I have zero doubts that’s how things will go down.

Sullivan did break up GCR to help Malkin, so that is something we can’t hand wave away either.

The problem is, again, those two wingers help form either a dynamic line together or a couple of watered down second lines when split up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
If Crosby is out a few games and GMR lights it up, he may keep that line together for a bit, but as soon as Crosby struggles it will be broken up again.

I doubt that leads to him getting fired, but I have zero doubts that’s how things will go down.

Sullivan did break up GCR to help Malkin, so that is something we can’t hand wave away either.

The problem is, again, those two wingers help form either a dynamic line together or a couple of watered down second lines when split up.

I imagine if Sullivan missed the playoffs this year especially with fans coming back he's fired.

If Bylsma was smart enough to do it with Kunitz - Malkin - Neal in 2012 hopefully Sully is to do it with GMR in 2021.

Reactions: Trade

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
both Sid and Geno at this stage of their career need quality wingers...they are still imposing force there but they don't attack the goal anymore, they need wingers to do that...If I were GM or Coach thats your priority...thats why jake and Rust are Marchand and Pasta....need to find another dynamic duo...I feel Kappy would be scary on third line so if we can get another really good RW that would click with Zucker...that would be great if not it would be interesting to see what Sid could do with two of them, although that is a wasted point considering Zucker's injury

Reactions: radapex

Genetic

Oct 21, 2009
I know it's only one game but I really like this McCann line and I want to see more of it. X= trade. (Preferably a right handed forward with some wheels?)

Zucker - Sid - X
Jake - Geno - Rusty
Tanev - McCann - Kappy
Zar - Blue - Erod/Scevior

Dumo - Letang
Matheson - Marino
POJ - Ceci

*obviously this is assuming everyone stays healthy. But we know these pens are made of balsa wood. *

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I know it's only one game but I really like this McCann line and I want to see more of it. X= trade. (Preferably a right handed forward with some wheels?)

Zucker - Sid - X
Jake - Geno - Rusty
Tanev - McCann - Kappy
Zar - Blue - Erod/Scevior

Dumo - Letang
Matheson - Marino
POJ - Ceci

*obviously this is assuming everyone stays healthy. But we know these pens are made of balsa wood. *
if they play hard, there are no too many better rosters out there

Reactions: Genetic

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I imagine if Sullivan missed the playoffs this year especially with fans coming back he's fired.

If Bylsma was smart enough to do it with Kunitz - Malkin - Neal in 2012 hopefully Sully is to do it with GMR in 2021.

I doubt GMR is enough to power them to the playoffs alone, even though I feel that line makes them better than GCR.

Crosby would need to find some kind of better chemistry with the leftovers than Malkin has, or I doubt this is a playoff team.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad