Post-Game Talk: Jarry, GMR, and CODY CECI bring their "A" game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
understand but there were circumstances...he played with Bluegs and he trusts Bluegs, Kappy played a lot of PP etc....don't worry as soon as we got some healthy and maybe new bodies he is gone...

Again, Kappy played 11 minutes, some of which was on the power play. That's not a lot of PP time, that's barely normal 4th line ice time. :laugh:

I hope Lafferty gets his dick caught in the zipper every day for the rest of his miserable life, but that's not really the problem. It's Sully's weird-ass ice time distribution, for the 5 season running. :laugh:

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
FWIW, I'm not criticizing Lafferty in the line-up per se, I'm criticizing the fact that he gets way more ice time than his play should indicate. :laugh: It's just kind of comical. Kapanen gets 11 minutes, scores two goals and is part of an effective line, Lafferty gets nearly 15.
Kappy and Laffy's minutes may have been evened out, if we weren't shorthanded 5 times........

Or if Sullivan used Kappy on the PK

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Again, Kappy played 11 minutes, some of which was on the power play. That's not a lot of PP time, that's barely normal 4th line ice time. :laugh:

I hope Lafferty gets his dick caught in the zipper every day for the rest of his miserable life, but that's not really the problem. It's Sully's weird-ass ice time distribution, for the 5 season running. :laugh:
He actually played over 14 minutes, over 3 minutes on PP but I understand the point, don't you worry, I have lead "shit on Lafferty brigade" all this time...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Which would be fine if we were talking about anyone with potential. Lafferty's ceiling is Pens front office staff member/assistant assistant coach.

Like I'm fine with wanting to give young guys aa chance, but why reward Lafferty's bad play with more ice time? Let the guy sit for a shift or two.

I think Sullivan feels he has Tanev potential. They have similar traits and Tanev put up a whopping 4 points in 52 games at the same age as Laff.

It's the same with ZAR... I don't even bitch about him anymore because who else will take his hat?

ZAR was playing well his first couple games, but now he's back to being ZAR. He literally passed the puck to a Flyer in the slot of his own zone - again.. and blew a beauty look on net... again.

But I can't even get mad anymore about it, because I have no legit argument for who I would play over him right now.

I get lowering Laffs minutes I guess, but that will just guarantee he doesn't develop at all IMHO.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
This board always bitched for years about coaches who didn’t give young guys a shot when they struggle, so I’m not going to complain..
we are not talking about sending down to the farm never to be seen again. a game or two won't kill the kid, and in fact it could help him.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If lafferty wouldnt completely spazz the f*** out every time the puck touched his stick he could be a useful player.

If only

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I watch a great game and then read these:

And wonder what the F game some people watched...
Well, first they have to complain that Sullivan hadn't done something that worked, as quickly as they wanted him to. Then they have to complain that Sullivan did do something that worked, but not in the way that they wanted him to.

Reactions: SEALBound

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
we are not talking about sending down to the farm never to be seen again. a game or two won't kill the kid, and in fact it could help him.

Once again, who is playing in his place?

People around here already hate DOC because he cost them the Caps game. DOC isn’t exactly tearing it up either so...

There isn’t anyone else as long as E-Rod is out, and he will get whipping boy status pretty soon after he joins the lineup.

Feel free to give me a name of someone that will be better than Laff - because I can’t think of anyone.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Still surprised Geno had a more decent improved night... be it crowd or line mates... I hope it continues.

Surprised even knowing he is really good with jake and rust... it's been a long time since they got to play together, but whadayaknow... snapped into place like a lego.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
In what world should Lafferty ever play more than Kapanen?? Lafferty’s 1:49 of SH TOI makes me wanna barf. Why does Sully think only our plugs can PK? Because he himself was a plug and he PK’d.

I mean, I could see rewarding Lafferty if he was the one who scored the first two goals of the game for us against one of our rivals. But Lafferty hasn’t scored since February.....2020. And has one assist on the season.

Sully’s a bonehead

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is from RW’s blog on the game:

“Evgeni Malkin looked great last night. He looked like himself. He also didn’t “elevate” his game as people like to say when Crosby is out. He had the Penguins two best wingers with a healthy serving of Kris Letang. This is also known as the Sidney Crosby QoT. I think we all agree that Sidney Crosby is a great player and probably the best player since he entered the league. Why can’t he do any of the heavy lifting when he gets back into the lineup? We can see Malkin at 34 years old needs some QoT help. Why can’t he get it? You have Sidney Crosby right there. Sid has been spoon fed QoT his entire tenure with the Penguins. I think it is time he has to try to do more with less while Malkin gets the benefit of playing with the best wingers and defenseman on the team. Sid should be better than Malkin, right? If 87 has a hard time with the new deployment will he get the same criticism of 71? I feel like there is a double standard when it comes to Malkin’s struggles because rarely is he given the cushy deployment Crosby does. When he does get it everybody marvels at how well Malkin is playing. QoT matters.”

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
On Lafferty, Maybe it's the hair? He wasn't this spazzed out when he was follicle challenged and shorten hair.

I guess we have to wait 'til Boston swings back around and Barber Bergy... and what look like his Black and Decker buzz clippers.

tenor.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
My issue is splitting up Rust and Guentzel makes them less effective. They have really good chemistry... so it’s basically taking a dominant line and watering it down.

I get the idea of giving Crosby and Malkin each a good winger from a dominant line.

However, it would be like King Solomon lacking wisdom and cutting the baby in half to appease everyone.

The difference is a wise man should understand you don’t split the baby (Jake and Rust) apart.

I’d like to see Crosby center Tanev and KK for a spell. I suspect that would be a hell of a line if Crosby and Sullivan were willing to stick with it.

I think it's fair to argue that what you get from GCR and GMR is comparable. So, the question is, from a team perspective, do you get more out of another line with Crosby playing with the leftovers or Malkin playing with the leftovers. There have been many times in the past, based on the team's construction, that the answer was Malkin. This year, it's Crosby . . . it's so hard to imagine him (and the team) being worse with the leftovers than Malkin has been that it's coaching malpractice not to experiment.

We both know what's going to happen, of course . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad