Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
they lost 2 games in regulation in the month of February. They failed miserably if that was the goal.

Maybe the real goal was to protect the asset. Based on what happened last year at deadline that seems logical.
Very possible but it seems no deal is really close.

It could just be a case of Arizona massively overvaluing their player and the longer they wait, the less they will get.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ektard hahahaPenguins Leading Landing Spot for CHychrun..(e4) maybe Talbot I’ve been talking about the Penguins and Chychrun for days now. Obviously, the GM knows a thing or two about jake’s dad….but the pressure is REALLY on…The Penguins are also talking about Cam Talbot…
Ottawa cant trade Talbot..We have a guy with 8 games as NHL experience as the back up right now

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Very possible but it seems no deal is really close.

It could just be a case of Arizona massively overvaluing their player and the longer they wait, the less they will get.
they have the asset for 2 more years. We won't have demand for Chychrun at next years deadline? Nobody will want to trade for him at the draft before his limited NTC kicks in?

Honestly, I do think a deal gets done with a team looking to add a core piece willing to give up picks. whether that is now, after the playoff trade deadline, or at the draft but it will happen. Does the price go down? Maybe? AZ isn't obligated to do anything at this point but try to get maximum value for their asset. If you don't like it, I don't think BA really cares.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
source on the asking for more?

As reported by Friedman the LA trade was "close" in the mind of AZ and it was LA who didn't think it was close. That's negotiations.

AZ is entitled to set a price and hold out for it. Maybe they get it. Maybe they don't. That's negotiations. Zero apologies for protecting the asset. Sorry. They got burnt last year and they took corrective actions after he saw the player logging 30 mins of ice time his last game against Chicago.

absolutely no violation to the cba whatsoever and I'm sure the league would love to get something from the NHLPA to put a clause preventing "healthy scratching a player for a prolonger period" in the cba. We will call it the Paul Bissonnette clause.
A guy who is very in with the Edmonton media and runs the analytics website puckpedia. Also was on TSN for awhile to my understanding.

He stated that is what he heard

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I’m curious what is exactly written in the CBA as it pertains to a situation like this

I would guess nothing; however, I haven't read through the whole document. I believe the current CBA as well as the MOU for extending the duration can be found at the link below:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
At what point does Armstrong finally accept he wont get what he wants? Its been over a year and no one has offered him what he wants. At this point I think most of the other gms are sayin f*** you, we won't pay that so enjoy keeping him and having this on going for even longer.

I'm sure this whole situation will just entice players to want to play in Arizona even more! /s

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
they have the asset for 2 more years. We won't have demand for Chychrun at next years deadline? Nobody will want to trade for him at the draft before his limited NTC kicks in?

Honestly, I do think a deal gets done with a team looking to add a core piece willing to give up picks. whether that is now, after the playoff trade deadline, or at the draft but it will happen. Does the price go down? Maybe? AZ isn't obligated to do anything at this point but try to get maximum value for their asset. If you don't like it, I don't think BA really cares.
I am not saying there won't be demand, I am saying the more his contract runs down, the closer he gets to UFA, the less he will get. You will get more today then you will next off season.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
A guy who is very in with the Edmonton media and runs the analytics website puckpedia. Also was on TSN for awhile to my understanding.

He stated that is what he heard
did he hear that they had actually agreed or that Edmonton thought their offer met the criteria of what AZ was asking for? Did it include retained salary? Did it include a bad contract coming back to AZ without appropriate compensation? I was told on this very site when AZ thought they had a "deal with LA" that a deal isn't a deal until the trade call is completed. So obviously there was something in that offer that AZ didn't want or agree with.

At what point does Armstrong finally accept he wont get what he wants? Its been over a year and no one has offered him what he wants. At this point I think most of the other gms are sayin f*** you, we won't pay that so enjoy keeping him and having this on going for even longer.

I'm sure this whole situation will just entice players to want to play in Arizona even more! /s
When a team hits his ask.

Sucks to have a 24 year old 20 goal scoring top pairing D. However will they cope. Nobody will want that in a year when the cap goes up.

AZ has good weather and taxes. I think they will be okay attracting players.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Macblender

May 5, 2014
did he hear that they had actually agreed or that Edmonton thought their offer met the criteria of what AZ was asking for? Did it include retained salary? Did it include a bad contract coming back to AZ without appropriate compensation? I was told on this very site when AZ thought they had a "deal with LA" that a deal isn't a deal until the trade call is completed. So obviously there was something in that offer that AZ didn't want or agree with.
No clue basically solely said they had agreed to something and Bill Armstrong asked for more at the last second and Holland walked.

That’s all that was said - take it for a grain as who knows what agreed actually means unless a call has taken place so it was probably agreed in principal on the pieces and in a discussion before a trade call Armstrong tried to make the deal a little sweeter or something.

We would have struggled to do it without a contract going back so that was probably the hitch

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I am not saying there won't be demand, I am saying the more his contract runs down, the closer he gets to UFA, the less he will get. You will get more today then you will next off season.
maybe. Maybe not. Maybe if the cap goes up $4M a year from now teams will be able to accommodate AZ's ask without trying to force AZ to take a cap dump or retain salary.

No clue basically solely said they had agreed to something and Bill Armstrong asked for more at the last second and Holland walked.

That’s all that was said - take it for a grain as who knows what agreed actually means unless a call has taken place so it was probably agreed in principal on the pieces and in a discussion before a trade call Armstrong tried to make the deal a little sweeter or something.

We would have struggled to do it without a contract going back so that was probably the hitch
If you do find the podcast I'd like to listen to it for context. Thanks for posting though. Appreciate the discussion.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I can see Carolina getting him.

Just imagine a top 4 of Slavin, Burns, Chychrun, Pesces. Wow. That's on par with Bostons blueline.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Zito needs to just offer the decade of 2030 first rounders and see if the NHL says no.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
With Edmonton and LA both presumably out now, Toronto and NYR have blown their loads, (right?) could the Jets make a move here?

Dec 15, 2002
Only thing is it’s been made public that’s not the reason for it and nobody would believe that excuse at this point. I’m not sure if a grievance can happen or not but Ferraro brought it up and he doesn’t just throw stuff out there unless it’s got some merit
Ferraro is also a former member of the NHLPA and not a team executive. If he's an assistant GM somewhere, he's got a different view on things and not saying anything at all.

Just because something doesn't "feel right" doesn't mean it's per se a violation of the Standard Player Contract or the CBA. If Ferraro can point to the part of the SPC that's being violated, I'm open to considering the idea that a grievance would get anywhere. Until then, "gosh, it really sucks he's not playing, can't believe he's still not been traded - that's awfully unfair" is hard feelings unsupported by the text of the SPC and by Article 5 of the CBA.

[I'll also add that it's pretty wild - and by 'wild' I mean 'completely predictable' - to see people on one hand complain about how players are being treated badly, and on the other hand say 'players are nothing more employees, if they don't like it they can STFU and find another job' as if we're talking about the cashier down at the local Dollar General. I'm also sure those are the first people who would complain about the decrease of quality of play in the league if even a fraction of players listened to their 'informed' ideas and bailed out for another career at the first slight in their professional hockey career. But, that's all a topic for another day]

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I don’t think Coyote ownership has the appetite to pay him 12.4M for the next 2 seasons.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Chychrun when he gets to hit the ice again:

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

When a team hits his ask.

Sucks to have a 24 year old 20 goal scoring top pairing D. However will they cope. Nobody will want that in a year when the cap goes up.

AZ has good weather and taxes. I think they will be okay attracting players.
Has Arizona ever attracted a top UFA? I honestly can't think of one

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think Coyote ownership has the appetite to pay him 12.4M for the next 2 seasons.
maybe. But his actual $ out next year is only $5.4M so they may only need to do it until next deadline.

I don't think this will happen. I actually think the deal will get done at the draft when we know exactly the picks and players on the draft list that they expect to take are known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad