Player Discussion Jake Sanderson (D) PART 3

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
His points are a bit inflated with all the team PP goals in a small sample, but he is looking like a top tier D-man already this year. You love to see it. I’m glad he’s turning heads outside of our fanbase already.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
His points are a bit inflated with all the team PP goals in a small sample, but he is looking like a top tier D-man already this year. You love to see it. I’m glad he’s turning heads outside of our fanbase already.

Part of the reason our PP is scoring is because he’s so good along the line in terms of keeping the puck in and making good decisions to maintain possession.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I remember when I was saying Sandy would be better than chabot within his first couple seasons and got straight laughed at.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Part of the reason our PP is scoring is because he’s so good along the line in terms of keeping the puck in and making good decisions to maintain possession.
He's also a lot quicker with the puck compared to Chabot. Chabby has this tendency where he thinks he has about 2 seconds longer than he actually does and it constantly forces rushed/bad passes. Sanderson is always one step ahead with anticipation/speed which is critical to a good PP.

I still have my gripes at times with the unit being too slow/predictable, but Sanderson is the right choice for the point. I think there'll be an interesting choice to make once Yak hits his prime (22+).

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I remember when I was saying Sandy would be better than chabot within his first couple seasons and got straight laughed at.
i figured he'd be the #1 in his first year...but part of that is i am not a member of the chabot fan club at all

Reactions: Alex1234

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
i figured he'd be the #1 in his first year...but part of that is i am not a member of the chabot fan club at all
I’ve been saying for a full two years now to anyone I chat with hockey about (in real life) that Sandy will be the best and most important player on this team for many years. And I am a Brady and Timmy fan.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’ve been saying for a full two years now to anyone I chat with hockey about (in real life) that Sandy will be the best and most important player on this team for many years. And I am a Brady and Timmy fan.
Very easily.

He's an NHL wide top guy.

Year in, year out top 5ish D in the league, and you can be almost assured he will not get the recognition he deserves. It has been that way with him since the NTDP.

Reactions: Korpse

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Not comparing him directly to him.

When is the last time we saw a player this well rounded and elite in every facet of the game?

Lindsrtom?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No you didn't get laughed at. I'm pretty sure that was the consensus around here.
That depends on when he said it. Lots of people though Sanderson wouldn't be able to step in and be a top 4 D his first season, thought he'd need time in the AHL first, going back further, lots of people were disapointed we took him over Drysdale. Some people saw him as purely a defenisive dman.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Sanderson getting picked resulted in cautious optimism at worst. Then he just started getting better and the optimism became less cautious.

Not sure when laughter would have come into it. He never looked like he wasn't going to reach his potential or go further.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
As I have been tooting for a while, he reminds me of Scott Niedermayer. Sanderson is also developing an edginess to his game. With continuous growth, he will have a few Norris seasons in the not so distant future. Ottawa will have to start making the playoffs for his name to be on the radar consistently.

Last edited:

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
People liking Drysdale over Sanderson was the weirdest thing ever.

And i think the only reason people believed it is because it was popular opinion. same with Sanderson having limited offensive potential, like no way if people watched them in a vacuum they would come to these conclusions.

But Drysdale was they hype prospect and Sanderson the boring one. And people defaulted to that instead of actually seeing them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

And i think the only reason people believed it is because it was popular opinion. same with Sanderson having limited offensive potential, like no way if people watched them in a vacuum they would come to these conclusions.

But Drysdale was they hype prospect and Sanderson the boring one. And people defaulted to that instead of actually seeing them.
It's not really that odd, most fans, at least Canadian ones, are less familiar with college players. Drysdale was still a very good prospect, and a RHD at that, so filled a position of need that is historically hard to fill.

Remember, Bob MacKenzie and his scouts had Drysdale ranked 4th, Sanderson 8th, so it's not like there weren't lots of reputable people out there that prefered Drysdale.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
With Sanderson, Hughes, Fox, Werenski and Carlson do the United States have a better D-core than Canada.
nah, Canada has the clear cut top guy in Makar

Drysdale had a lot of hype coming out of the world juniors IIRC. Not weird at alll

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
It's not really that odd, most fans, at least Canadian ones, are less familiar with college players. Drysdale was still a very good prospect, and a RHD at that, so filled a position of need that is historically hard to fill.

Remember, Bob MacKenzie and his scouts had Drysdale ranked 4th, Sanderson 8th, so it's not like there weren't lots of reputable people out there that prefered Drysdale.

nah, Canada has the clear cut top guy in Makar

Drysdale had a lot of hype coming out of the world juniors IIRC. Not weird at alll

thats what im saying though the hype wrecked the perception of and between these players.

And yes it definitely had to do with Drysdale being Canadian, RHD, and the best Canadian D man to come out of the OHL/juniors since Doughty.

I think even among people who watched both, the hype changed their perceptions.

Drysdale was slated to be the next best Canadian D to emerge, and Sanderson the one dimensional, uncreative defensive d.

People heard that repeated so much that it became fact.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
thats what im saying though the hype wrecked the perception of and between these players.

And yes it definitely had to do with Drysdale being Canadian, RHD, and the best Canadian D man to come out of the OHL/juniors since Doughty.

I think even among people who watched both, the hype changed their perceptions.

Drysdale was slated to be the next best Canadian D to emerge, and Sanderson the one dimensional, uncreative defensive d.

People heard that repeated so much that it became fact.
Sanderson was a late riser too, so first impressions for a lot of people would have been of a less dynamic player.

Drysdale hasn't lived up to his potential yet, he looked like he was going to be very good. Granted, Sanderson has surpassed most peoples expectations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad