Former Bruins Jake DeBrusk - gone to Nucks

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
1 50 point season out of 7 isn't $6m production. Especially when it comes with a Kovalev-esque effort level
I don’t know why he gets labeled as a lazy player here it’s baffling. And untrue.

We’ve posted his numbers and where they rank in the league so many times. People vastly overrated what a second line wing produces it’s crazy.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If he was “consistent” scoring wise the way people here seem to expect he’d be a $8M+ player. His effort is consistent, including on the PK.

I actually feel the reverse. I think his scoring is consistent in the way guys with his general totals are not consistent. Unless you're a PPG player like Pasta you're going to have stretches where you get points in bunches and stretches where you go 0-fer over six or seven games. It's really just math and regression to and from the mean.

But his effort, something he can control, comes and goes, and that drives me nuts. The fact he can look as good as he does when he's engaged highlights how bad he is when he's not. I can take a few games with no points, but it's when he goes a few games peeling off every corner like he's allergic to round shapes where I get frustrated.

I'm not really down on him like I used to be. I actually think overall he's a pretty good player, and if he wore his emotion on his face the way Marco Sturm did everyone would realize they have a lot in common and love DeBrusk as much. (Sturm would be on fire for two weeks and then vanish for two weeks.) But Jake is pretty even keeled all the time and I think it makes it seem like he doesn't care, so when he's a ghost it feels like he REALLY doesn't care.

I think he's gone. He's gonna get paid on the market and then everyone, even his biggest fans, will tagree he's not worth the contract he signed, all while we have no way of replacing him.

Bad job by the Bruins front office who should have traded him before the season without a deal in place considering they themselves called this a "transition year."

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I can't say I'll be sorry to see him go. He's too enigmatic for me. Sometimes when everything is just right for him he plays great but that does not seem to be most of the time. If the stars aren't aligned for him he just doesn't seem to be able to handle it well. I guess I'm just done trying to figure out what drives him and I bet the Bruins are too.
I am sick of the drama

Babajingo

At 7 mill that basically gives them 10 mill of cap space (after goalies signed)
No thanks.

My math:
- Trade Ullmark and get no contract back - Gives ~26 mill in cap
- Sign Swayman and a back up for around 9 mill - 17 mill in cap
- Sign JDB for 7 mill - 10 mill in cap

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is clearly a 6 M player

Over 5 years would be risky

But he’s very well liked by staff and teammates

Took accountability for missing meeting

From everything I get he’s made great strides on and off the ice and maturity

He’s a good vibe guy - upbeat and likeable not an angry hair on his head

These are players I want on my team

I like JDB as a player and for his versatility, but I would not like him at $7+ million...
Me neither

He’s a legit 6….id go 6.5 M

But 7 years or 7 M I’m not going there - you are now at 34 and his speed and acceleration are at the top of his trait tree

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
1 50 point season out of 7 isn't $6m production. Especially when it comes with a Kovalev-esque effort level

That last sentence... again this Bruins team is doomed if the fans perception is reality.

The grass being greener is what fans are turning to with Debrusk.

We saw it with Krug to Gryz. We will see how this works for the Bruins this time around.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That last sentence... again this Bruins team is doomed if the fans perception is reality.

We saw it with Krug to Gryz. We will see how this works for the Bruins this time around.
Three 25+ goal seasons in last 5 when you play both wings
Special teams
Produce in playoffs

Easy getting paid

If I was the Bruins, I wouldn't offer him 7.

6? Yes. 7. I just can't do that.
I appreciate your maturity and honesty here

Same

My daughter is a Jake fan -she got a jersey so hoping he stays lol

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
If I was the Bruins, I wouldn't offer him 7.

6? Yes. 7. I just can't do that.

Bruins advantage is the 8th year. If he would sign for 8 years at a reasonable salary it would be no worse than any gamble in free agency and likely better. However it is unlikely and he most likely ends up next to a Crosby or McDavid and uses the Bruins era as motivation. He will score 30+. No doubt.

Reactions: Mione134

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Three 25+ goal seasons in last 5 when you play both wings
Special teams
Produce in playoffs

Easy getting paid

I appreciate your maturity and honesty here

Same

My daughter is a Jake fan -she got a jersey so hoping he stays lol

In six seasons, not five. The shortened 2020-21 season on pace for 18 goals.

His average over 82 games in the regular season 24-22-46 and +51 (total)

His average over 82 games in the playoffs is 26-19-46 and -16 (total)

I'd be surprised if the Bruins didn't move on from him

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

Krug was a terrible contract. We wanted no part of that. Gryz was not the replacement. Debrusk is speedy winger with meh production. You can fill out those pieces later.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
At 7 mill that basically gives them 10 mill of cap space (after goalies signed)
No thanks.

My math:
- Trade Ullmark and get no contract back - Gives ~26 mill in cap
- Sign Swayman and a back up for around 9 mill - 17 mill in cap
- Sign JDB for 7 mill - 10 mill in cap

If you don't sign JDB then you have another desperate need. So what do you do sign Toffoli for basically the same as JDB gets? Sign Bertuzzi for a little bit less? Basically you might be able to save a million getting a lesser player at the same position.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If you don't sign JDB then you have another desperate need. So what do you do sign Toffoli for basically the same as JDB gets? Sign Bertuzzi for a little bit less? Basically you might be able to save a million getting a lesser player at the same position.
Its not a desperate need. You need to replace 40 points. Its possible

Reactions: myleafs

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Toffoli put up 33 & 34 goal seasons the last two years.

Late career spike.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I’m just exhausted with a few in here that blame him for basically everything that goes wrong with this team and unfortunately if we do resign him I’ll probably be putting a few on ignore which is sad I don’t mind there opinions on other Bruin views but they’ve turned to blind hate towards JDB and it is tiresome hearing it over and over they don’t even share anything new to the conversation or give him props when he is playing good they just wait in the wings lurking for this guy to fail so they can scream to rafters again.

Beyond the above part I wrote I’m fine either way as long as we actually replace his speed and playoff performances and hopefully someone like Beecher can take on his PK role but if Don spends his money on a 3rd liner that they force into a top 6 role and another Forbort/Reilly type deal I’m gonna be pretty pissed. We need speed and talented players not scrubs that occasionally grind out a goal with puck luck we have them in spades.
Didn’t work to well in playoffs did it ? We barely even got shots on goal against a defensive team cause those scrubs would slap it around the boards with no intent or talent to mustard up scoring chances by taking it to the net turnovers would just occur and we’re playing in our end again and guess what Swayman saving there bacon yet again.

Anyways back to topic obviously less then 6 mil get it done ! and even if it’s 6 or slightly more cause of cap increase but not over say 6.25 for something like 4 years.
IF that doesn’t happen use this money on Marchessault for 3 to 4 years to help fill the void of talent, sure he’s older but a decent stop gap until we find something else.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad