Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Very admirable. But that isn't what his contract states.

It states that there are only 15 places he can't be traded to.

This isn't the 1st time a player was traded, in any sport, to another city only to have to inconveniently uproot his family & it won't be the last.

This is the world they live in. High stakes, where they are paid MILLIONS based on their performance & if/when those two don't align, the more than likely outcome is a trade & it means the family is on the move.

It comes with the territory. They all know that. Or should.

Here's the rub. Jacob has never been told "No" in his professional life.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Very admirable. But that isn't what his contract states.

It states that there are only 15 places he can't be traded to.

This isn't the 1st time a player was traded, in any sport, to another city only to have to inconveniently uproot his family & it won't be the last.

This is the world they live in. High stakes, where they are paid MILLIONS based on their performance & if/when those two don't align, the more than likely outcome is a trade & it means the family is on the move.

It comes with the territory. They all know that. Or should.
All I'm saying is, no one here knows shit. No one really knows if his agent his calling other teams telling them he won't report (I don't believe that). What I do believe is that there are very few teams who could a) afford his contract and b) want the player. This is the reality and what Drury is up against. Everything else is just noise. I'd like to see him wearing a different uniform next season but if not, I'm not gonna act like a f***head and take personal shots at him or his wife based on pure rumors.

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
Why do you think they still want to trade him? As of right now:

1. All the top FA forwards are gone so clearing the money would not let them get one
2. They have not signed a single defenseman and are not strong with defensive prospects so they don't have a replacement available
3. They don't need cap space this year to sign their last remaining RFAs
4. The coaching staff likes him and he's a key guy on the PK.

So unless they have a second trade already worked out that would require clearing cap space why do they want to trade him at this point? I don't think they care about the fans perception of the issue and neither does he. If he cared about that, then he wouldn't be so hesitant to go elsewhere.

Buying him out makes no sense (ignoring the fact that the buyout window is closed and they may or may not get another) because then you're just adding two additional years of cap hit and issues 1-4 above all still exist. Waiving him also makes little sense due to the above - especially since it seems he may actually have positive trade value and can be dealt in the offseason. If he had negative trade value they could just attach and asset and trade him to someone and even if he didn't report the other team could suspend him (and possibly terminate the deal) and still get the asset
I don't think not being able to sign anyone yesterday should be the reason we keep him. We can still upgrade.

Lindgren + Kakko for Theodore
Sign Schultz
Sign Sprong

Kreider Mika Smith
Panarin Trocheck Laf
Cuylle Chytil Sprong
Vesey Carrick Edstrom/Rempe

Miller Fox
Theodore Schneider
Jones Schultz

Accrue more cap space, control of all future 1sts, Berard/Othmann/Perreault/Sykora on the way.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I commend Trouba for standing by his wife, I really do. My wife is a medical professional and I might do the same thing he's doing. That fact o the matter is, however, that because of Trouba's refusal to accept a trade that clearly Drury tried to orchestrate to make him happiest, the Rangers have now lost their ability to improve on last years team that wasnt good enough, due to non-hockey reasons.

So Trouba deserves the boos he will get if he is here on opening night. If it has an effect on the locker room in any way, thats fine too. The lack of accountability with this team was a little too clear on breakup day, and this is more evidence. Lot's of guys seem like they want to get paid and continue living the cushy life in NY, and winning is secondary. Igor, Lindgren contract situations are another example. Do these guys want to get the most money, or help the team win? Because if they want to get paid based on the highest percentage of the cap, or get more years despite being extremely injury prone, they can go too. We can come up short with or without them.
The thing is, the guys on the team love him. And they haven't lost thier ability to upgrade. It's July freaking 2nd.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
All I'm saying is, no one here knows shit. No one really knows if his agent his calling other teams telling them he won't report (I don't believe that). What I do believe is that there are very few teams who could a) afford his contract and b) want the player. This is the reality and what Drury is up against. Everything else is just noise. I'd like to see him wearing a different uniform next season but if not, I'm not gonna act like a f***head and take personal shots at him or his wife based on pure rumors.
He can't be back. That would be REALLY awful for him, the locker room, the fanbase, the org

There's no way you can have him back... especially wearing the C

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No offense, but yea, he does across like an entitle whinny brat. This is the NHL, trades happen all the time, if you dont have a full NMC then you know 100% you can be traded to another team. Dont care about the wife, nor should anyone, that is not something GMs are suppose to be factoring in (and seems extremely silly to even think about).

Jacob Trouba i guess thinks he’s better than the other 100 players who move teams each season, the players who bite their lips and understand it’s a business and it happens.

Somehow hundreds of players are able to figure out how to play in the NHL and have a family at the same time, Trouba instead wants everything on his terms despite not having that in his contract.

That’s not how it works Trouba, well i guess it does, since all his drama has now prevented a trade. I’m sure Drury will end up with the final play when it’s all said and done, whether that’s a week away or next offseason.

Again, say it with me.

Actions have consequences.

Trouba's actions will ALSO have consequences. Just like the consequences of the Rangers signing him to that deal they did with the terms they gave him.

If Trouba wanted to stay only in NY, he'd have demanded a full-term NMC. So his own actions, there, have consequences. Hence why waiving him if he pulls any "I won't report" stuff is just as viable an option as anything else. Let him ride the bus in Hartford; still close enough to his wife at that point. If that's the direction he wants to go, it's his choice.

Fact of the matter is I find some of the takes on here to be utterly laughable. Especially from a contractual point of view.

He can't be back. That would be REALLY awful for him, the locker room, the fanbase, the org

Great! So strip the C from him, waive him, and send him to Hartford if he's not claimed. If he is claimed, the other team can either embrace him or terminate his contract if he doesn't report.

People bringing other personal stuff into this discussion are just so out of line at this point.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

The players love him. It would probably be worse if he weren't there. And most fans aren't HF fans. They're on vacation, chilling, stuffing hotdogs and High Noons down their gullets living la vida loco.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The thing is, the guys on the team love him. And they haven't lost thier ability to upgrade. It's July freaking 2nd.

I dont really care what the guys on the team think anymore. I respect the players more who will silently resent him for hurting their chances of winning a Stanley Cup. And sure they can still improve but only incrementally.

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
My only question on this is whether trade compensation can be made conditional on whether he reports.

Say a team offers a 3rd rounder on the condition he reports - that third should revert back to them if not. Not sure what limits the CBA places on conditional picks.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The whole reason Trouba even has this power over the Rangers is because the talks with Detroit leaked. You can say it was Trouba or Overhardt who leaked it but even that doesn't absolve the Rangers of blame. Why are they talking to Trouba about a trade that hasn't been concluded yet, especially with this new version of Darth Drury who supposedly doesn't care about feelings? When a team trades a 4th line scrub do you think the GMs consult with them about it ahead of time? Of course not. They find out when the trade is done. Lots of players have talked about getting that phone call on Spittin Chiclets and other hockey podcasts.

Drury blew this. He has Trouba's lists. Like someone else said earlier, it should be standard operating procedure for the organization to always have every player's NMC and NTC on hand at all times. Complete the trade then let Trouba's agent know it's done. Now the ball is in his court. You don't want to report? OK, cool, sort that out with your new team. The trade is done and registered with the NHL already.

Typical incompetence from the Rangers.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The whole reason Trouba even has this power over the Rangers is because the talks with Detroit leaked. You can say it was Trouba or Overhardt who leaked it but even that doesn't absolve the Rangers of blame. Why are they talking to Trouba about a trade that hasn't been concluded yet, especially with this new version of Darth Drury who supposedly doesn't care about feelings? When a team trades a 4th line scrub do you think the GMs consult with them about it ahead of time? Of course not. They find out when the trade is done. Lots of players have talked about getting that phone call on Spittin Chiclets and other hockey podcasts.

Drury blew this. He has Trouba's lists. Like someone else said earlier, it should be standard operating procedure for the organization to always have every player's NMC and NTC on hand at all times. Complete the trade then let Trouba's agent know it's done. Now the ball is in his court. You don't want to report? OK, cool, sort that out with your new team. The trade is done and registered with the NHL already.

Typical incompetence from the Rangers.

At this point, we don't know who blew what, who leaked what to whom, etc. I believe NTC lists are submitted after June 30th as standard operating procedure since I believe they can generally change from time to time.

The main incompetence issue is giving him the terms we did in his deal. I'm generally against NMCs/NTCs for this exact reason. I'd only give them as a last resort.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I dont really care what the guys on the team think anymore. I respect the players more who will silently resent him for hurting their chances of winning a Stanley Cup. And sure they can still improve but only incrementally.
Again, what we see as hurting their chances, they might not. I will bet $1000 that to a man, they're way more pissed about how Goodrow was treated than Trouba being on the team next season. I want the dude gone but if he plays a 3rd pair role next to Jones with PK time, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. His contract has no bearing on this team resigning Laff, Igor or Miller next season and has a minimal effect on them bringing in players at the deadline. It's not ideal but it's not the end of the world. And to be frank, Trouba doesn't matter if Panarin and Zib go comatose in the playoffs next year. That's a bigger concern than Trouba on the 3rd pair.

Reactions: NYR BHK

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't think not being able to sign anyone yesterday should be the reason we keep him. We can still upgrade.

Lindgren + Kakko for Theodore
Sign Schultz
Sign Sprong

Kreider Mika Smith
Panarin Trocheck Laf
Cuylle Chytil Sprong
Vesey Carrick Edstrom/Rempe

Miller Fox
Theodore Schneider
Jones Schultz

Accrue more cap space, control of all future 1sts, Berard/Othmann/Perreault/Sykora on the way.

There is no reason to do that unless you already have another trade, such as your Theodore example, agreed to and worked out.

Also there is zero chance they would have a defense with Theodore, Jones, and Schultz. That's three guys who don't PK.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
if he wants to stay here so bad why doesn't he captain this team to a stanley cup? This is a man using every trick in the book to stay where he is, so does he continue sulking or is he so pissed off at Drury and all the noise that he actually improves himself and puts forth the effort this upcoming season? Am I being hopelessly optimistic here?
Often a player does not want to be where he is not wanted. I'm not going to bash a guy for wanting to be a NY Ranger. I'm pretty sure he would like to win a cup for us so I will assume your question was not serious. :)

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Show me where in the CBA it says he has to say up front he will report.

You do know that his contract can be flat-out terminated if he doesn't, yes? He'd be forfeiting the next two years of salary. So his actions also have consequences. It's almost like this is a two-way street or something! We can also bury him in Hartford and essentially end his NHL career if need be.
Exactly. People keep on missing out on this. This thing went sideways because the Rangers bungled it. Either they broached the trade talks to Trouba before they were complete (which is probably a nice courtesy but also not the most intelligent thing as we can see now) and didn't get the reaction they expected or the talks just leaked which also doesn't speak well for the organization.

Complete the trade first. Put the onus on him to breach his contract.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
All of the other stuff aside, the one thing I don't get is why people are saying that this will negatively impact the locker room when it's clear that whichever players spoke to Vince mentioned being upset about how the Goodrow and Trouba situations were handled. His teammates value him and want him here. This type of stuff happens in other sports too and is a non-issue. Seems similar enough to a situation where a player holds out for more money on a contract. Stepan did it, and it had no effect at all on the locker room.

It's fans that want Trouba gone.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Again, what we see as hurting their chances, they might not. I will bet $1000 that to a man, they're way more pissed about how Goodrow was treated than Trouba being on the team next season. I want the dude gone but if he plays a 3rd pair role next to Jones with PK time, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. His contract has no bearing on this team resigning Laff, Igor or Miller next season and has a minimal effect on them bringing in players at the deadline. It's not ideal but it's not the end of the world. And to be frank, Trouba doesn't matter if Panarin and Zib go comatose in the playoffs next year. That's a bigger concern than Trouba on the 3rd pair.

The core is a bunch of guys who wilt in the playoffs and are OK with losing as long as the check clears. What's happened since the season end has made this clear as day. What is so special about goodrow or trouba that the team is "upset" about how they were treated. is Victor hedman "upset" that Steven Stamkos got the boot?

This core has never won a thing, and I was into giving them another shot, but there's a country club here. Time to start pushing them out.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This is something I've read on here for over 15 years now, no joke.

And Trouba certainly didn't help in that regard.

I love me some aggressiveness, but Trouba's aggressions are usually just f***ing boneheaded.
Both Staal and McD were tough in front of our net. So was Klein. Florida gave all our forwards welts in front of their net. It matters.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
How is telling teams that he won’t report not already grounds for a suspension?

It actually may be, frankly. And if that's the case? The Rangers can attempt to terminate his contract via Paragraph 12 of his SPC. That's for the Rangers and league attorneys to decide if they wish to go that route.

People (to avoid confusion, lol, I'm not lumping you in that "people.") need to take the time to actually think sometimes before they open their f***ing mouths on here.

Reactions: Kane One

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
The thing we have to keep in mind with Trouba, is that it's always f***ing something with him.

Needed playing time assurances to sign the ELC with the Jets

Contentious negotiations and a holdout after that because everyone and their mother knew he wanted to be back in the US

He and Overhardt strafed Gorton in the negotiations because Gorts blew all his bargaining power trading a first and a controllable asset at the same position for a guy who was a 2nd pair D on his best day even then.

Now he can't be traded because he's telegraphed to every team he's a poisoned asset until his wife finishes school.

The sympathy card is played out.
So you lack sympathy for a human trying to secure a guarantee from a corporation who would love nothing more than to wrest every last drop of sweat from him before tossing his thoroughly used carcass on the side of the road? Gotcha.

The Rangers knew what they were buying. They've known all along that his family life was
It has nothing to do with her being a woman. If my spouse had an 8 year 56 million dollar contract I would not choose to work.
Glad you can make that choice for them.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The core is a bunch of guys who wilt in the playoffs and are OK with losing as long as the check clears. What's happened since the season end has made this clear as day. What is so special about goodrow or trouba that the team is "upset" about how they were treated. is Victor hedman "upset" that Steven Stamkos got the boot?

This core has never won a thing, and I was into giving them another shot, but there's a country club here. Time to start pushing them out.
I think it's silly to say this team is ok with losing or there's a country club mentality. No one knows what goes on in the room. I haven't heard one word from a respectable source that these guys aren't serious about winning. You think Kreider, Trocheck, Laff, Igor, Lindgren and the list goes on and on don't give a shit and don't want to win? They made it to the ECF finals two out of three years. Only one team wins, is every other lockerroom a country club? I'm not justifying keeping him, I hope he's gone, but there's so much wild speculation in this thread it's absurd.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
How is telling teams that he won’t report not already grounds for a suspension?
Because it's probably bullshit and didn't happen. A player and an agent can derail a trade just by putting a smart list together. But if it did, f*** him and send his ass to Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad