Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Good for Trouba. Nobody to blame here but Drury and Brooks. We all want Trouba out but we can’t blame the human here.
I will blame Trouba for being a bad player and throwing a hissy fit when we decide he isn't an 8-million-dollar player anymore and try to get rid of him. Dude should get boo'ed into oblivion next year.

Acting like he is the only person to have to live away from his wife and child. Welcome to professional sports. What a clown

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think we are taking the Trouba hate to another level. It’s one thing to criticize his play , but I feel bringing his wife and his personal reasonings to stay in NY are more personal attacks towards the player and have nothing to do with his play or the team.

I’m not going to say stop but just tread lightly. It’s heading into the direction of being a personal witch hunt against him, and nothing to do with the game itself.

This place isn’t Twitter/X or Reddit where there are little to no boundaries.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The whole thing with his wife yada yada, I get it. For him to sabotage legitimate trades and probably the waiver wire by threatening to not play, is utter bullshit and should not be tolerated. If he's that convicted to stay, terminate your own contract and eat the money.
"Sabotage legitimate trades"? I mean I want Trouba out of the squad, but he is exercising his rights that are written into his contract. No different than what Drury did by putting Goodrow into the waivers.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
"Sabotage legitimate trades"? I mean I want Trouba out of the squad, but he is exercising his rights that are written into his contract. No different than what Drury did by putting Goodrow into the waivers.
False. Again, read the Brooks article. He's saying he wouldn't accept a legitimate trade as per his contract:

1719925234136.png

There is not one team that wants to get wrapped up in a mess like that. This includes waiver wire as well. He's basically made an environment where the Rangers cannot trade him, even if it's well within their rights. Seems like dangerous precedent to me.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He's not making up a narrative. Read the Brooks article, it's pretty difficult to come to any other conclusion.

Specifically:

View attachment 891265

I see the quote. I see what Brooks is implying. I also see that it’s hyperbole and not rooted in any fact. If that’s the only conclusion you can reach, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Big glaring difference between “there is no guarantee he would accept a trade” vs. “it’s believed/known that he would not accept a trade”

Reactions: JCProdigy

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I see the quote. I see what Brooks is implying. I also see that it’s hyperbole and not rooted in any fact. If that’s the only conclusion you can reach, I’m not sure what to tell you.
Follow the fact pattern - there was a deal on the table, it didn't get finalized, brooks comes back and says he isn't guaranteed to "accept" a trade even if its within the bounds of the contract.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
No. If he says no to a team on his list, sure it's his right. But if he refuses to go to a team not on his list and lets everyone know that will be the case beforehand, then no, that's not ok.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Follow the fact pattern - there was a deal on the table, it didn't get finalized, brooks comes back and says he isn't guaranteed to "accept" a trade even if its within the bounds of the contract.

From the same article:

The anticipated trade to Detroit did not materialize after No. 8 handed in his 15-team no-trade list to GM Chris Drury as due on Monday. Sources now report that the deal as depicted in this space on Saturday with the Blueshirts retaining $2.5 million of Trouba’s annual $8M cap charge the next two years was not on the table. We are told that the suggestion Trouba rejected the deal is not true.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
False. Again, read the Brooks article. He's saying he wouldn't accept a legitimate trade as per his contract:

View attachment 891269

There is not one team that wants to get wrapped up in a mess like that. This includes waiver wire as well. He's basically made an environment where the Rangers cannot trade him, even if it's well within their rights. Seems like dangerous precedent to me.
Well, If he's put on waivers and is picked up by another team, disgruntled or not, he needs to report and play. If he doesn't report, he will be suspended and not paid, he can stay in Manhattan and paint all day.
If he's put on waivers and nom one picks him up, the Rangers can demote him to AHL Hartford. If he doesn't show up to play in Hartford, he'll be suspended and not paid, he can stay in Manhatttan and paint all day and probably baby sit as well.
That's all within the player's rights and also the club's.

Reactions: romba

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I keep seeing people saying that Trouba should accept a trade, or a mutual contract termination, or do something else to help the team, but like, why should he?

He’s making 8m here as the captain of the team. His wife’s residency is 1 more year here. He’s got a baby iirc. Exactly what incentive does he have to play anywhere else? If the team buys him out he can just sign for cheap with the Islanders or Devils to stay in the are

Reactions: CasusBelli

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Him basically putting out there he isn’t going to report to the team he’s traded to because of his wife? He absolutely has the obligation to report. But now teams are afraid to even making a trade to avoid that type of drama shit he’ll potentially bring.

Guy is a world class loser. He could have sucked it up for a year while making his 8M.

I don't want him on the Rangers, but expecting a player to do a favor for management isn't realistic thinking. Management can be ruthless. Why shouldn't players do the same?

It may backfire on Trouba in some way, but he can do whatever he wants.

Blame lays squarely on the people that gave him the crazy contract. It also would have been easier to force his hand before everyone saw his performance this past season. I doubt any GMs are knocking the doors down to get Trouba, right now.

Reactions: QJL and UnSandvich

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
From the same article:

The anticipated trade to Detroit did not materialize after No. 8 handed in his 15-team no-trade list to GM Chris Drury as due on Monday. Sources now report that the deal as depicted in this space on Saturday with the Blueshirts retaining $2.5 million of Trouba’s annual $8M cap charge the next two years was not on the table. We are told that the suggestion Trouba rejected the deal is not true.
That's fair - to your point if there was in fact no deal ever on the table, then Brooks really did Trouba a disservice in this process. That said - to me it reads like Trouba is outwardly letting the league know that he is willing to sit out vs report and that leaving NYC is a real problem. Obviously puts some baggage out there that makes it less likely for teams to get involved.

1719926178134.png

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I keep seeing people saying that Trouba should accept a trade, or a mutual contract termination, or do something else to help the team, but like, why should he?

He’s making 8m here as the captain of the team. His wife’s residency is 1 more year here. He’s got a baby iirc. Exactly what incentive does he have to play anywhere else? If the team buys him out he can just sign for cheap with the Islanders or Devils to stay in the are
Trouba doesn't have to help the team, but it would be in his best interest if he wants to continue getting paid. Unless Drury gives up this easily and just accepts Trouba will be back in locker room come training camp.

If Trouba puts it out there that he will not report anywhere, trade or waiver pickup, and the Rangers still want to get rid of him, you just reasign him to Hartford. Either he goes there, which I doubt if he has said he refuses to report to any NHL team, or he gets suspended without pay and the Rangers are cleared from his caphit. Rangers do have the measures to force Trouba's hand. And while I said earlier that I don't really care how the locker room perceives the situation, let's hope it won't get that ugly.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
So if Trouba remains on the Rangers this season will he get shit on worse than Dan Girardi and Marc Staal ever were shit on by the Rangers social media fanbase?
As opposed to what they have been saying for the last 2 years. There are posters on this board who have s--t on basically everyone on this team relentlessly even when they have been productive. Perfect example is Kreider. The guy has scored 127 goals the last 3 years and people have wanted to dump him since forever. Thing is if Gretzky had spent his peak years here there would have been some who would have s--t on him on this board.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007

I think it's more the point that he now has a 15 team no trade list - but he's basically poisoned the well across the entire league(including teams that are "acceptable" as per his no trade list), by saying he is not going to report regardless of it being a legitimate destination. Teams wont be interested in taking on the baggage.

The point is that he has a contract, with terms he's agreed to. Now he's going back door(through agent of course), to find a way out of the terms he's agreed to, to get what he wants. It's not about it being a favor to the team. What he's done is as good as circumventing his contract.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
As opposed to what they have been saying for the last 2 years. There are posters on this board who have s--t on basically everyone on this team relentlessly even when they have been productive. Perfect example is Kreider. The guy has scored 127 goals the last 3 years and people have wanted to dump him since forever. Thing is if Gretzky had spent his peak years here there would have been some who would have s--t on him on this board.

Well, yea, Gretzky only won on stacked Oilers teams. He was a bit too soft and slow to take teams over the top by himself in the playoffs.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
That's fair - to your point if there was in fact no deal ever on the table, then Brooks really did Trouba a disservice in this process. That said - to me it reads like Trouba is outwardly letting the league know that he is willing to sit out vs report and that leaving NYC is a real problem. Obviously puts some baggage out there that makes it less likely for teams to get involved.

View attachment 891272

I see your side and you see mine. There is grey area here and that’s why I don’t think it’s fair to be furious with Trouba. I think teams are likely to look elsewhere because movement is not an ideal situation for him. I wouldn’t seek alternatives before trading for a questionable contract (even at 5.5M) that comes with personal layers.

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
Hate to stray too far from hockey talk, but Trouba is a professional athlete on the road 100+ nights a year. His wife is doing a residency. Someone(s) else is helping out a TON to raise that child. They can hopefully continue to help while he is in another city for 1 year while she finishes the residency. Or, they can all move - it's not unheard of.

I understand it's a lot to navigate and none of us would want to deal with this type of situation. But we don't make $8 million a year, and we aren't in the business of sports. He is. This needs to be finished.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I understand it's a lot to navigate and none of us would want to deal with this type of situation. But we don't make $8 million a year, and we aren't in the business of sports. He is. This needs to be finished.
Elliotte Friedman loves to quote Godfather 2 in 32 thoughts, he did so regarding the Goodrow situation, and it's appropriate here as well:
31534938-7309-4adc-bc37-1eea1b30cc93_text.gif

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I think it's more the point that he now has a 15 team no trade list - but he's basically poisoned the well across the entire league(including teams that are "acceptable" as per his no trade list), by saying he is not going to report regardless of it being a legitimate destination. Teams wont be interested in taking on the baggage.

The point is that he has a contract, with terms he's agreed to. Now he's going back door(through agent of course), to find a way out of the terms he's agreed to, to get what he wants. It's not about it being a favor to the team. What he's done is as good as circumventing his contract.

If this is what he has in fact done, yeah, I f***ing bury him in Hartford.

I don't care about the optics.

Enjoy minor league hockey, Jake.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
This is all pretty funny. I sure as hell don't want to see Trouba on this team anymore, but the second real, human issues crop up, it's like most of you turn into would-be head office management scum. lol

It's management's fault for giving him such an insane contract. It's NOT his fault for considering his wife's career. Unless you're in or near that world, you have NO idea what his wife would have to go through to leave her current program. work and complete her residency in another state. It's EXTREMELY difficult to do, and virtually no one does it for this very reason. Residents suffer HORRIBLE conditions in some places akin to literal mental torture in order to just finish where they started and be done with it. Trust me when I tell you, him refusing to move to a team far away isn't "sabotage".

Do the guy right, offer to buy him out, and expect to see him on a local rival next year.

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
Elliotte Friedman loves to quote Godfather 2 in 32 thoughts, he did so regarding the Goodrow situation, and it's appropriate here as well:
31534938-7309-4adc-bc37-1eea1b30cc93_text.gif

Right. And it's been discussed ad nauseam, but it's true. He signed for $8 mil a year and a 15 team NTC. He probably could have gotten a full no trade for the entire duration of the contract if he signed for $6.5-$7 mil. He didn't. He got as much money as he could, and now he needs to live with it.

This is all pretty funny. I sure as hell don't want to see Trouba on this team anymore, but the second real, human issues crop up, it's like most of you turn into would-be head office management scum. lol

It's management's fault for giving him such an insane contract. It's NOT his fault for considering his wife's career. Unless you're in or near that world, you have NO idea what his wife would have to go through to leave her current program. work and complete her residency in another state. It's EXTREMELY difficult to do, and virtually no one does it for this very reason. Residents suffer HORRIBLE conditions in some places akin to literal mental torture in order to just finish where they started and be done with it. Trust me when I tell you, him refusing to move to a team far away isn't "sabotage".

Do the guy right, offer to buy him out, and expect to see him on a local rival next year.
I am totally fine with this. But we should be trying to trade him to NYI or Philly for something before buying him out.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007

To be fair - he could forego the remainder of his contract and give up $16M to stay in NYC. He wants his money too. It's not just the personal issues, which are more than understandable. He's trying to get his money and do what he wants regardless of what terms he's agreed to on his deal. Again - to caveat, this is based on what Brooks implies so to the extent he's wrong or off base, that's a whole different story.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Who says she has to leave? Plenty of wife’s are home while the players are out on the road half a season. I’m sure they can make it work for a year as he collects his 8M paycheck. Trouba is a baby, he pulled the same shit on the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad