Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Lindgren. But that would be an indirect shot across the bow to Fox(his best friend in hockey) and Laf(his roommate). It’s sending a message sure and they need to upgrade that role (1D) but I think it’s being sent to the wrong recipient.

I just really don’t see a realistic scenario where I’m confident in the Rangers next year if Trouba and Lindgren are still here
Was Lindgren that bad, or is it a situation of 'odd-man out'?

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Moving Lindgren doesn't free up enough money.

Trouba is just as bad (worse, IMO, given their performances if you look at more than just this past season), but the fact that it's even a debate means you have to get the guy making 2.66666 times the amount of money out of here first.

Lindgren was very bad this year but the two years before that, while still an offensive black hole, Lindgren was a very strong positive defender.

Trouba has been bad at everything for years now.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This was an outlier and his worst year by a mile. He’s really playing above his capabilities
IIRC he's been trending downwards. He was poor all around this year but he's not the player he was 3-4 years ago

but again, you put him in a position he's really not suited for just because he's friends with the top defenseman in the league and we wonder why he's struggling every year when you ignore Fox keeping him afloat

He's not a top pairing D and Fox doesn't "need him" like some people seem to think. It's great they're friends but if Fox needs his buddy who's bad at playing the role asked of him then Fox needs to get his shit together. The Rangers need a real top pairing D, not a 7D masquerading as a top pair player.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
IIRC he's been trending downwards. He was poor all around this year but he's not the player he was 3-4 years ago

but again, you put him in a position he's really not suited for just because he's friends with the top defenseman in the league and we wonder why he's struggling every year when you ignore Fox keeping him afloat

He's not a top pairing D and Fox doesn't "need him" like some people seem to think. It's great they're friends but if Fox needs his buddy who's bad at playing the role asked of him then Fox needs to get his shit together. The Rangers need a real top pairing D, not a 7D masquerading as a top pair player.
Lindgrens always been a complete 0 offensively which by default makes you nothing more than a 6/7D in the NHL. How these offensive liability defenseman consistently fail upwards through the ranks for NYR is just mind boggling. I don’t get how they looked at him and Skjei and chose him

Reactions: ArPanet

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I think you have to try and move Lindgren and Trouba. Try to bring in Chychrun or a player like him sign a cheap RD for the 3rd pair to go with Jones and offer mega extensions to Lafreniere Miller and Shesterkin
No way they move both at the same time. It'll be one or the other, and it'll be Lindgren.

More than anything though, I'd love to see what a package of Kakko+Miller could get us.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Can’t see Trouba being moved when he’s about to become one of the stars of an NHL reality show. I’m also curious to see how much his wife features. She has star power.

Reactions: CasusBelli

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He was that bad, at least this year.

Even at his best, he was a guy playing higher than he should have in the lineup. I always had a tough time pin pointing just how good he was because he's been paired with Fox for 99% of his NHL minutes. Fox couldn't hold him above water this year.

Off years with defensemen are usually just a result of not getting the saves that a D would normally get but all of his micro stats were in the shitter this year (the goaltending actually bailed him out a ton.) A drop off this drastic is real cause for concern and points to sharp decline rather than just a one off.

This is also the 4th consecutive season that he's finished with a pretty significant injury (Head, Ankle, Shoulder, Ribs.) Would never question his toughness, but I think we've definitely seen the best he has to offer at this level.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
He is right. The media and fans go too far online. As great as the internet has been, social media has had a really negative effect in many ways.
Trouba couldve just made that tweet out of the blue and it would’ve been a positive. Instead he drops one of the most hot button issues in sports in response to valid criticism giving the impression that innocuous shit like this is why athletes would be driven to suicide. If anything it devalues the mental health aspect of pro sports and if I was a player with my own issues I’d be annoyed.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Trouba is such an interesting case.

Go back to when the deal happened:
Cap was supposed to go up
Fox wasn't a thing
Org was dying for a top rhd
Pp was dying for a big point shot bc it sucked

Overtime all those pieces have changed and worked against trouba. Wish his contract was 2m less, he was not good in the playoffs and lost it against the cats bc he was trying to show the physicality for the team and started running around (obvious mistakes).

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Buy out Trouba
Let Lindgren walk
Sign Marc Staal at league minimum
And sign Avery to a PTO

Trouba is such an interesting case.

Go back to when the deal happened:
Cap was supposed to go up
Fox wasn't a thing
Org was dying for a top rhd
Pp was dying for a big point shot bc it sucked

Overtime all those pieces have changed and worked against trouba. Wish his contract was 2m less, he was not good in the playoffs and lost it against the cats bc he was trying to show the physicality for the team and started running around (obvious mistakes).
And people here really think his contract is tradeable. It's not even close even at 50% retained. We would have been better off with Ben Harpur vs the Panthers.

Even buying out Trouba is quite drastic for a team that won the presidents trophy. Most likely scenario is he is cast as a bottom pair D from game 1 and the staff stops asking him to play a role he literally cannot. It is what it is. He's not going anywhere

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
And sign Avery to a PTO

And people here really think his contract is tradeable. It's not even close even at 50% retained. We would have been better off with Ben Harpur vs the Panthers.

Even buying out Trouba is quite drastic for a team that won the presidents trophy. Most likely scenario is he is cast as a bottom pair D from game 1 and the staff stops asking him to play a role he literally cannot. It is what it is. He's not going anywhere

If he’s used as a 3rd pair and that bridge Schneider 2 yrs it’s manageable

Not ideal but he’s hand picked to be captain
He’s not hurting the room and could bounce back with less minutes

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
And sign Avery to a PTO

If GMs only just him by his play after injury it will be tough to trade but more likely is GMs and coaches remember the play of the first 3 months of the season. That they investigate the injury. That they see a guy that played 21 minutes a game on a team that led the league in points. A lot of coaches will be very interested in an intimidating hitting shot blocker if they feel the bad play after injury was not the norm.

Reactions: mas0764 and bhamill

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
If anybody on this board said the same thing, I might say don't bring up his wife. Beyond that, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

When malcontents and outsiders say things like that, you side with the Rangers. Don't be a scab. I don't care how bad the guy is.

These people aren't dunking on Trouba because he sucks and hurts the team. They're doing it because he plays for our team. They would say the same about Fox. They would say the same about you.

Every other tweet this f***ing rash has made recently is picking on Shesterkin. That's your guy?

These people wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.
Not a Rangers fan but I agree.

It's kind of like if you have a brother, and you both pick on each other, but if an outsider does the same you join together and whoop their ass, no exceptions.

Reactions: Machinehead

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
No way they move both at the same time. It'll be one or the other, and it'll be Lindgren.

More than anything though, I'd love to see what a package of Kakko+Miller could get us.
Oh yeah, the offers will come flying in. They (mostly KK) are at low selling points. That "potential" word is still there, but you're NOT going to get something really good, imo. We stay the course, IDC what people want........ jettisoning anyone like KK or KAM will surely come back and bite them in the ass. How in the hell can we afford to trade KAM? Try REAL HARD to rid Jacob, get KAM a new cspble partner and see how he takes off. This off season shopuld be a really good one for KAM. He's starting to near the age where a dman really catapults, presuming he's got that star quality in him.
How can u give up on KK? Regardless he was a #2, he's solid defensively with little scoring which means he'll be somewhat cheap, right? He's 24 for crying out loud. During the dark years, we would be thrilled with kid that has at least "some potential". Am I wrong?

Reactions: NickyFotiu

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
they must not have watched any Trouba film then, I've seen him take about 400 worthless slapshots from the point and i've never seen any of them go in the net
Weird. Literally his first game for nyr he scored a power play goal on a one timer from the point, but convenient narratives are more fun so carry on...

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
they must not have watched any Trouba film then, I've seen him take about 400 worthless slapshots from the point and i've never seen any of them go in the net
Why are they worthless if they lead to rebound opportunities?

How many Rangers dmen score with their slapshots from the point?

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Standup guy and leader. Just grossly overpaid. Love the guy; hate the contract.
He's not a good NHL hockey player. It's not just the contract I don't like. It's the way he plays. It's what it does to the Rangers team. It's what it symbolizes about RangersWorld's understanding of the role of a defenseman. And of hitting.

Reactions: ArPanet and gump116
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad