Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For our purposes Trouba is more valuable to us than Hamilton would be. Hamilton at best would be second unit power play behind Fox and IMO Gustafsson is already pretty damn good as the second option and on a cheap contract and Hamilton wouldn't be helping our pk nearly as much as Trouba or maybe not much at all maybe even Fox might have more pk time on his hands without Jacob around. We also would be a much softer team. Anyone thinking we'd be better off with that switch....I don't think Hamilton would be a good fit for us with or without Trouba if only because of Fox. You need guys who can bring different elements. Hamilton's are inferior to Fox's and overall Dougie's game is not all that well rounded.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I watched 2 huge blocks in the final 30 seconds of the 1 goal game we just won. That's a daily occurrence with the Captain. Thats not part of Dougie Ham Sandwich's game
Weird that the winningest American coach in NHL history had Trouba out there in the last 30 seconds of a 1 goal game. Lavi must not know what kind of player Trouba is lol :D

Reactions: leetch99

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Someone will have to explain to this bro intellectual how one guy has a 30th percentile defense pull his overall average down 4 percentiles and another guy has 21st percentile defense pull his overall average down 30 percentiles.

@Machinehead,

Actually this is actually a legit question. Unless there is some exponential growth in the higher percentiles or an exponential drop for defense in the 20s percentile or both.
I have no clue how the weighting works but I always see this trend for D men who are atrocious defensively. Karlsson/Deangelo/Klingberg are all ~0 percentile defensively with the same strong offensive impacts and production. Yet Karlsson will grade as all star level while the other two are unplayable, with the only difference being elite offensive ability vs very good

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Weird that the winningest American coach in NHL history had Trouba out there in the last 30 seconds of a 1 goal game. Lavi must not know what kind of player Trouba is lol :D
Ok? And he also scratched Jimmy Vesey to start the year and now he appears to be the best option on the team for RW1 lol. “Laviolette did this thing so that means it’s good” isn’t sound logic

Reactions: zlev

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
I watched 2 huge blocks in the final 30 seconds of the 1 goal game we just won. That's a daily occurrence with the Captain. Thats not part of Dougie Ham Sandwich's game

yeah because Hamilton would've had the puck out of the zone already

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have no clue how the weighting works but I always see this trend for D men who are atrocious defensively. Karlsson/Deangelo/Klingberg are all ~0 percentile defensively with the same strong offensive impacts and production. Yet Karlsson will grade as all star level while the other two are unplayable, with the only difference being elite offensive ability vs very good

Maybe the elite offense is that much higher than the average. But is that really Dougie Hamilton?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ok? And he also scratched Jimmy Vesey to start the year and now he appears to be the best option on the team for RW1 lol. “Laviolette did this thing so that means it’s good” isn’t sound logic
Jimmy is better than Laf now? Okay. I think Lavi has a pretty good grasp of what each guy can bring including Vesey. He said Vesey deserved to play even when he sat him for a couple of games. Do you think you can judge NHL defensemen better than Lavi who played defense and has coached 3 NHL teams to the Cup finals?

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Jimmy is better than Laf now? Okay. I think Lavi has a pretty good grasp of what each guy can bring including Vesey. He said Vesey deserved to play even when he sat him for a couple of games. Do you think you can judge NHL defensemen better than Lavi who played defense and has coached 3 NHL teams to the Cup finals?
“RW1” as in the RW for the Zib line over Wheeler.

It’s just not good logic to say that a player is good at a specific role because they are deployed there. Sometimes the team might not have better options, sometimes there might be a poor evaluation of talent, NHL coaches are not infallible. 6 weeks ago you clowned me and called me a “neophyte” for asserting that past NYR coaches were dumb for not committing to Laf at top 6 RW sooner lol. That’s looking like a great take

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
have you watched Trouba? so is he.
I think you're remembering last season Trouba and underselling him. He's overpaid. No one argues that. It's obvious you don't like him.

If we're sticking between the two, have you seen Dougie Hamilton in the Playoffs?

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
“RW1” as in the RW for the Zib line over Wheeler.

It’s just not good logic to say that a player is good at a specific role because they are deployed there. Sometimes the team might not have better options, sometimes there might be a poor evaluation of talent, NHL coaches are not infallible. 6 weeks ago you clowned me and called me a “neophyte” for asserting that past NYR coaches were dumb for not committing to Laf at top 6 RW sooner lol. That’s looking like a great take
I don't try to "clown" anyone. I stand by you being a neophyte in regards to being a NHL coach. I am as well. Nobody including NHL coaches are infallible but I doubt you or I could last 30 minutes coaching a NHL practice before the players are laughing wondering what is going on.

I actually called for Laf to play RW for years. Go look it up.

I would not commit to Laf playing any line. If he played well I would want him to play more. If he played poorly I would want him to play less. Ditto Kaako. Ditto almost every player including Trouba. Laf played poorly last season. Laf has played well this season. It is not brain surgery.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
I think you're remembering last season Trouba and underselling him. He's overpaid. No one argues that. It's obvious you don't like him.

If we're sticking between the two, have you seen Dougie Hamilton in the Playoffs?

i've been watching Trouba do the same shit as last year. i dont see how he's any different. i dont mind him, the person and i think he's a good captain, but he's a 3rd pairing defensman on a 1st pairing contract. the argument we're having isn't "do you like him?", though. it's, "is he better than Dougie Hamilton?"

and yeah i saw him in the playoffs, his team had the puck 58% of the time when he played against us. it was very obvious too.

in that series (5v5):
Hamilton: 65 scoring chances for, 44 against
Trouba: 47 for, 64 against

edit: just looked up his numbers for the Carolina series because i didn't have the stomach to watch that series last year. he was on the ice for 58 SCA in 7 games. wanna know how many Trouba was on the ice for against Carolina the year before? just swap those two digits around (more ice time, but Hamilton was -4, Trouba -33).

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
i've been watching Trouba do the same shit as last year. i dont see how he's any different. i dont mind him, the person and i think he's a good captain, but he's a 3rd pairing defensman on a 1st pairing contract.

and yeah i saw him in the playoffs, his team had the puck 58% of the time when he played against us. it was very obvious too.

in that series (5v5):
Hamilton: 65 scoring chances for, 44 against
Trouba: 47 for, 64 against

edit: just looked up his numbers for the Carolina series because i didn't have the stomach to watch that series last year. he was on the ice for 58 SCA in 7 games. wanna know how many Trouba was on the ice for against Carolina the year before? just swap those two digits around.
using analytics for a Gallant NYR team is not convincing. Nearly everyone wanted him gone for that reason.

KAM Trouba are around 51% right now with not even going at 100% and getting top matchups. He's been about as reliable as you can get on defense. Once again... not saying he's worth $8M.

Reactions: ecemleafs

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To get a bit snarky. Hamilton had 74 points last year (which by far is his highest) but his 16 points in 20 games prorates to 65 this year (a bit of a downgrade but still good but probably not going to happen either (the 65 that is) because the Devils have just put him on injured reserve) because he's just come out of surgery for a pectoral (?) problem. His -8 (I know everyone hates +/- but) seemingly reflects the general malaise so far of his hungover (?) team coming off a (big success) second round exit last year. That said I do think +/- can be a red flag like for example when in last year's playoffs a player is a -11 in 12 playoff games like Hamilton was. When you have a - near the number of games you've played something is f***ed up with you and/or your team.

Reactions: McRanger92

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Trouba has an impact that analytics can’t measure. The play of the season was when an opposing player gave up on the puck because he thought he saw Trouba coming. It was Zac Jones.

• Haha
Reactions: NickyFotiu

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The other thing with Trouba is those big hits can be enter-f***ing-taining especially how it riles up other teams fanbases. They usually don't like us just because (we're the rags) but Jacob is spoiling any chance of opposition fans changing their minds about us which is fine with me. Not too many other players including Hamilton could do that for us. If we're going to be hated anyway might as well go all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad