Proposal: Jacob Chychrun to New York Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I already did -- top 10 in Norris voting last year / led the league in goals on a completely awful AZ team without forwards who could score (i.e., even tougher to generate offense). Looks like the stats exist
So then if hes been so dominant as you say why is he so terrible this season ?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
So then if hes been so dominant as you say why is he so terrible this season ?

You mean since January 1st of this year? He's actually been +3 which is pretty impressive because he's eating tough minutes and of course you know (or should know) how terrible our roster is and how many games we are losing. Also I never said he was dominant -- this year our coach is balancing out the pairs / playing Chychrun with whoever our worst D is (usually an AHLer) and on his offside more often than not. So how can he be dominant if he's playing with random AHLers on his off side? And yet he's still +3 since January 1st. And again, 23 year old who led the league in goals last year and top 10 in Norris votes.

Since we're getting along so well, your turn. What makes you say he's the most overrated player in the league?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You mean since January 1st of this year? He's actually been +3 which is pretty impressive because he's eating tough minutes and of course you know (or should know) how terrible our roster is and how many games we are losing. Also I never said he was dominant -- this year our coach is balancing out the pairs / playing Chychrun with whoever our worst D is (usually an AHLer) and on his offside more often than not. So how can he be dominant if he's playing with random AHLers on his off side? And yet he's still +3 since January 1st. And again, 23 year old who led the league in goals last year and top 10 in Norris votes.

Since we're getting along so well, your turn. What makes you say he's the most overrated player in the league?
I believe he's the most overrated because of the package the yotes are asking for. 4 1st round equivalent assets for a defenceman whos had 1 high end season. Also plus 3 since January when your asking for a boatload of assets from other teams isn't the selling feature you believe it is. Do I think he's awful not at all, infact I think he's a very good young d. I just believe at this point in his career he's an average top pair d closer to top 25 league wide the say Cale makar or Victor Hedman. Its a huge risk to pay for potential when his track record doesn't bare out the results.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Started off this season with a new coach, Lyubuskin as a partner and playing hurt until he went on the IR. Came back slow and now picking it up.
Thats good, I dont dislike the kid, I just don't believe he's worth the package Arizona is asking for. He could explode and become a top 5 d but currently only having one high end season doesn't justify the ask.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Thats good, I dont dislike the kid, I just don't believe he's worth the package Arizona is asking for. He could explode and become a top 5 d but currently only having one high end season doesn't justify the ask.

We have achieved sanity! Thank you HFBoards for bringing hockey people together.

And also for letting us know that Brian Leetch and Sean Monahan currently play for the Rangers =p

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hes not that good. I like him, but hes not tjat good. No vision
I concede you MAY be right, but would/do NOT draw that conclusion yet.

How much of that is linemates, and how much of that is almost constant reshuffling of lines NYR coaches did for past several years?

This is 1 reason why I push to getting down to a true core, ideally link a driver of play, a facilitator and a scorer/finisher, though any other functional equation will suffice.

Kid HAS talent. He IS that good, But, all the pieces gotta mesh.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
The only reason Chychrun name is out there is that we were to believe teams are willing to overpay for his contract. It hasn't happened yet. The Coyotes have no reason to trade him, but he could be the missing piece to get into the finals. Will the temptation be too much for a GM? That's the question us Coyote fans are asking!

Reactions: PainForShane

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The only reason Chychrun name is out there is that we were to believe teams are willing to overpay for his contract. It hasn't happened yet. The Coyotes have no reason to trade him, but he could be the missing piece to get into the finals. Will the temptation be too much for a GM? That's the question us Coyote fans are asking!
I dont think he is worth the overpay currently but if the Coyotes can get that from another team all the power to them.

Manhattan

Dec 23, 2013
Stockholm
That your suggestion is absolutely insane and would never be considered. They’re not moving Lafrenière, especially right now.

So unless you’re done trolling and actually want to engage in a serious discussion, you can come back to reality.

Reality?

So you are telling me Rangers wouldn’t trade for Chychrun?

Not many other pieces would be good enough, and would definately be outbid by other teams as well.

You gotta give to get, simple as that.

Rangers got more than enough Left handed players for their wings, and are weak on LD with C as their second weakness.

It would take Laf or Kakko from the Rangers to get it done, young roster players with potential.

I remember the Oil having Hall and Yakupov.
Are they still there?
What did Edmonton get back?
When should they have let go of Yak? Or Hall?

It takes two to tango, pal.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...Rangers ... are weak on LD with C as their second weakness...

sorry this avid NYR fan disagrees about Chych priority
NYR LD issue today is with their 3rd pair
They have Zac Jones and Matthew Robertson on the cusp

I like Chych a lot, but that's not where they should spend bulk of their available assets
And they shouldn't move Laf or Kakk before they've had more NHL seasons

higher priority upgrade needs are a shooting wing and a center
Neither need be potential stars that'd cost a very high return

NYR are not a NHL top 6 Cup-contending team. Maybe top 10, maybe not
Shouldn't be breaking the bank too soon

If NYR hope to switch up roster by trade, NYR have plenty of assets without moving Laf or Kakk. Or Schneider.

If no match w AZ, no worries, both can find satisfaction elsewhere

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Reality?

No, I said the Rangers wouldn’t trade their 20 year old, recent 1OA pick, top-line RW for Chychrun.

Not many other pieces would be good enough, and would definately be outbid by other teams as well.

Then let them be outbid. Chychrun has had one year of very good production and it’s a year in which he had a completely unsustainable shooting percentage. Not even Alex Ovechkin has shot 18% in a season.

Also, Chychrun isn’t fetching a better return than Eichel.

No team in the Rangers position with a competent GM would do that deal.

Rangers got more than enough Left handed players for their wings, and are weak on LD with C as their second weakness.

That’s why Lafrenière is their RW1 right now and playing the best hockey of his career.

It would take Laf or Kakko from the Rangers to get it done, young roster players with potential.

Highly doubt that and if that is the case, then I highly doubt Chychrun is moved anytime soon, because no one is going to give up that type of player for a player who has had one very good year.

Are they still there?

Here’s a better question, where is Peter Chiarelli?

Comparing Yakupov to Lafrenière is stupid and actually de-merits any point you may have had.

The difference between you and I is that I tell it how it is, you tell it how it might be. The part that I quoted just above shows just how far out you actually are.

Manhattan

Dec 23, 2013
Stockholm
Comparing Yakupov to Lafrenière is stupid and actually de-merits any point you may have had.

You might wanna use your brain next time.
For different reasons Yakupov didn’t pan out as expected, one being rushed into the league by a Franchise in totalt misery - but to not compare Yaks and Laf at the same age and hype? How Old were you at that time?

Yaks was the clear cut 1st overall in a “weak” year just like Laf was.

Yakupov had 31 points in 48 games his First season - Laf had a laughing 21 in 56 games on a Better team.
Second season?
So far 16 points in 56 games.
Yakupov 24 in 63 games - Still better ppg but trending downwards.

Third year, 81 games, 33 points and people started doubting.
What will Laf’s third year look like?

I see a pattern.
You see a fantasy.

Oh, take a hike kid.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Reality?

Are they still there?

Lindgren and Miller are the Rangers 1LD and 2LD. They have two solid prospects with Jones and Robertson in the pipeline. They signed Nemeth to play the 3LD role until one of those kids are ready for everyday action.

LD is not a pressing need for us. Lafreniere is a hell of a lot more important for our team going forward than Chychrun, who we don’t have the cap space for starting next season.

You don’t know jack shit about the Rangers and it shows.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You might wanna use your brain next time.
For different reasons Yakupov didn’t pan out as expected, one being rushed into the league by a Franchise in totalt misery - but to not compare Yaks and Laf at the same age and hype? How Old were you at that time?

Yaks was the clear cut 1st overall in a “weak” year just like Laf was.

Yakupov had 31 points in 48 games his First season - Laf had a laughing 21 in 56 games on a Better team.
Second season?
So far 16 points in 56 games.
Yakupov 24 in 63 games - Still better ppg but trending downwards.

Third year, 81 games, 33 points and people started doubting.
What will Laf’s third year look like?

I see a pattern.
You see a fantasy.

Oh, take a hike kid.

The reason why your dumbass comparison of Lafrenière and Yakupov is complete lunacy is that Yakupov had a terrible attitude and zero drive.

You may have been old enough at the time to see Yakupov, but you sure as hell weren’t smart enough to understand why. Thank you for confirming this for me and showing me that I don’t need to waste another second on someone who can’t process something so simple and obvious.

“Take a hike, kid.”

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Chychrun is a valuable player but the Rangers dont need to spend the type of assets it will take to land him. Not a good style fit for Fox and not worth paying a king's ransom for a 2nd pair dman. K'Andre has been progressing nicely there. Would much rather they pay a much lower cost for Giordano.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Chychrun is a valuable player but the Rangers dont need to spend the type of assets it will take to land him. Not a good style fit for Fox and not worth paying a king's ransom for a 2nd pair dman. K'Andre has been progressing nicely there. Would much rather they pay a much lower cost for Giordano.

The Rangers trading for Chychrun would be trading solely because the Rangers have a surplus of picks and they could offload some. Doesn't address their needs.

As an Isles fan the Rangers are really the only team that's interesting as far as the trade deadline goes. Having personally worked for Dolan and knowing how he can go all in at any moment if I see "Chychrun to Rangers" on March 21st it means they didn't get that much better short-term and Arizona's gotten much better long term.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Reality?

Are they still there?

As I explained, it would only work for Rangers if:
1. is for the specific pieces I specified, which is Lindgren, Jones, 2 1sts, Geo + Strome at half

2. and Chyc comes at half.
This makes him actually less than Lindgren who we were likely gonna have to move anyway to pay for LaF + Kakko + who we still need. 3 yrs Chyc at half with Robertson coming in at 3LD relatively soon,

sorry this avid NYR fan disagrees about Chych priority
NYR LD issue today is with their 3rd pair
They have Zac Jones and Matthew Robertson on the cusp

I like Chych a lot, but that's not where they should spend bulk of their available assets
And they shouldn't move Laf or Kakk before they've had more NHL seasons

higher priority upgrade needs are a shooting wing and a center
Neither need be potential stars that'd cost a very high return

NYR are not a NHL top 6 Cup-contending team. Maybe top 10, maybe not
Shouldn't be breaking the bank too soon

If NYR hope to switch up roster by trade, NYR have plenty of assets without moving Laf or Kakk. Or Schneider.

If no match w AZ, no worries, both can find satisfaction elsewhere
full agree, Chyc only worth it for certain specific LDs who = surplus w/Chyc coming back.
No surplus Fs atm

Lindgren and Miller are the Rangers 1LD and 2LD. They have two solid prospects with Jones and Robertson in the pipeline. They signed Nemeth to play the 3LD role until one of those kids are ready for everyday action.

LD is not a pressing need for us. Lafreniere is a hell of a lot more important for our team going forward than Chychrun, who we don’t have the cap space for starting next season.

You don’t know jack shit about the Rangers and it shows.
concur

The Rangers trading for Chychrun would be trading solely because the Rangers have a surplus of picks and they could offload some. Doesn't address their needs.

As an Isles fan the Rangers are really the only team that's interesting as far as the trade deadline goes. Having personally worked for Dolan and knowing how he can go all in at any moment if I see "Chychrun to Rangers" on March 21st it means they didn't get that much better short-term and Arizona's gotten much better long term.
we can only hope that Dolan has learned from all the win now impulse overreaches with the Knicks, and understands and instructs Drury to listen to bern here. NO dealing youth for vets. A core of Lindy + Jones ++ for young stud return is one thing, squandering youth on win now is usually ineffective.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Having worked with the marketing department of the Rangers for close to 4 years, I can personally assure you Dolan has no idea who Chychrun even is.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Rangers entire top 6 D is 23 and under except for the old man trouba who is 28 and Nemeth when he’s in over Jones...
They also have Lundkvist and Robertson not far off.
Trading the assets for Chycrun is just not needed. Not how he’d be deployed here.
He’s not running the point on the PP over Fox and trouba/miller/Jones are fine with the 20-30 mop up seconds on PP2
Lindgren-Fox isn’t being broken up. Is Chycrun that much better then Miller defensively to justify trading all those assets so Chycrun can play middle pair D with trouba and have no PP time???
The answer is obviously no. Miller has been improving steadily again this season. He has freakish size/speed and is gaining confidence. He’s also cheaper.
NYR doesn’t make this trade just for the sake of making the trade.....

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Rangers entire top 6 D is 23 and under except for the old man trouba who is 28 and Nemeth when he’s in over Jones...
They also have Lundkvist and Robertson not far off.
Trading the assets for Chycrun is just not needed. Not how he’d be deployed here.
He’s not running the point on the PP over Fox and trouba/miller/Jones are fine with the 20-30 mop up seconds on PP2
Lindgren-Fox isn’t being broken up. Is Chycrun that much better then Miller defensively to justify trading all those assets so Chycrun can play middle pair D with trouba and have no PP time???
The answer is obviously no. Miller has been improving steadily again this season. He has freakish size/speed and is gaining confidence. He’s also cheaper.
NYR doesn’t make this trade just for the sake of making the trade.....

NYR already among the best defensive teams, strength is RHD. Chycrun makes a lot of sense, not sure if this an urgent need. I think the focus would be on 2C to increase their scoring if they mortgage players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad