Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well we had Fish in his prime and Hamonic during his decline, I'm sure if we had prime hammer you'd see him as more physical.

For sure. And like I said, he has seasons of 7 and 8 fights.

But why such hesitance now? Fisher remained fairly consistent. He had 7 fights in his last couple years including having no problem going toe to toe with Tom Wilson and neutralizing him.

I don't see harmonic going toe to toe with Wilson if Wilson is trying to egg Tkachuk in a fight or trying to muscle one of our young guys.

Maybe I'm wrong.

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
So what do we do when Chabot returns?

If we where the Leafs we would put Hamonic on ltir but that is not likely to happen.

JBD is not likely to pass waivers again and I don't think we have capspace for a 7th D so what is the best option here??

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

But why such hesitance now? Fisher remained fairly consistent. He had 7 fights in his last couple years including having no problem going toe to toe with Tom Wilson and neutralizing him.

I don't see harmonic going toe to toe with Wilson if Wilson is trying to egg Tkachuk in a fight or trying to muscle one of our young guys.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Well, fights are a mix of will and opportunity. Maybe when the opportunity arises the team would rather the pp, or maybe he just hasn't been on the ice when something happened. He's on the third pair, he was top four when he was fighting 7 times a year, so that's going to present more opportunities . Fighting is also down overall I believe.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Maybe I'm wrong.

Mike Fisher may not have been as physical as Hamonic but he was a fair bit stronger. Fisher was a beast. You rarely saw him loses board battles and he could hold his own in a fight.

Hamonic is a willing combatant but is nowhere near as strong as Fish was. He likely knows that fighting at this stage of his career is not going to end well for him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hamonic was smart to get that NMC but not sure why Dorion gave it to him even if it brought the $ down. I suppose the hard up against the cap is the real issue.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think context is important, DJ likes keeping his pairings as much as possible, Zub is Sanderson's partner, Harmonic is Brannstroms. JBD is a callup, and has slotted into Chabots spot, so while he's there he'll get lots of 5v5 time. Does DJ move JBD into Hamonics spot when Chabot returns, idk, but I do know that Hamonic is the first guy over the boards every time we go on the PK, while JBD is option 5 among D. Chabot isn't a pk guy either, and neither is Chychrun, so that leaves us one trusted guy short. My experience tells me PK matters to coaches, what does yours tell you?
I understand and generally agree with the desire to play defensive pairings so they can develop chemistry and familiarity with each other rather than constantly or frequently changing the pairings. Same for a 5 pack of 2D and 3F.

What does not make sense is brining up a 7th D from the AHL and playing him on the first pair if/when a first pair D is hurt. I would break my 2nd and 3rd D pairings to avoid that, assuming that the 1st D pair is playing against the top 2 lines of the other team.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think context is important, DJ likes keeping his pairings as much as possible, Zub is Sanderson's partner, Harmonic is Brannstroms. JBD is a callup, and has slotted into Chabots spot, so while he's there he'll get lots of 5v5 time. Does DJ move JBD into Hamonics spot when Chabot returns, idk, but I do know that Hamonic is the first guy over the boards every time we go on the PK, while JBD is option 5 among D. Chabot isn't a pk guy either, and neither is Chychrun, so that leaves us one trusted guy short. My experience tells me PK matters to coaches, what does yours tell you?
Sometimes I think the numbers look worse for Hamonic unless the numbers being presented exclude his PK stats. Then there's the impression people will get just watching (without looking at the numbers) which could appear worse if you don't recognize that PK can skew things.

And the preoccupation with Hamonic not being a frequent face-punching fighter seems a little odd as well. There's other ways he can protect the smaller, skill guys that we have (a broad statement, not just Hamonic specific).

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Makes me realize how soft our team is.

How is 6'3 batherson who works out not pushing people around when people take shots after the whistle?

How is jacked chychrun not stiff arming anyone who says anything? His arms are twice the size of 90% of players out there. Why doesn't he man handle them with his strength?

I don't understand it. As someone who likes working out and never look for fights in hockey, I never missed an opportunity to defend my teammates when an opponent was starting shit. This doesn't mean fight. Just go to the guy and grab him by the jersey behind the neck and yank him down to the ice. Problem neutralized.

If I remember correctly, the first game we had varada, some guy was taking advantage of Hossa in a scrum and he did just that and got a standing ovation from Ottawa. I think it was against dallas. I was at the game.

I don't understand how these guys are ultra competitive athletes who hit the gym all the time, and don't get the slightest bit of adrenaline when someone grabs their teammates, even if it's just bearhugging the guy down to the ice.

Don't they want to exert their strength over their opponents being competitive and muscular guys?

I'm not saying taking a penalty by popping the guy...just defending your guy with some "wrestling".

I just don't get it. Show some fight when the other team shoves our guys. Tell them you'll f*** them up and go grab them by the jersey by the throat and just show them you're mean and not to be messed with.
I agree that our team is too soft. Not enough physical checking. Not enough physicality from our D in front of our net. Not enough hammering opponents by the Fs. I think we need to get BIGGER or get players who play BIGGER than they are in stature.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The only time Chychrun killed penalties this year was when both Brannstrom and Zub were out of the lineup, the only regular with less total time on the PK is Chabot and he's played less than half as many games, are you sure we're watching the same team?
Doesnt mean Chychrun cant kill. They have to use Hamonic somewhere. Hey man if you think the coach playing Hamonic 6 minutes less a game than JBD means he thinks he is the superior player and would prefer him in the lineup have at it. I wont subscribe to that notion. You sure you are watching the same team? One player is playing much better than the other and is rewarded with substantially more ice time. Kinda ironic that you say that to someone else considering whats been happening in front of our eyes.

JBD can be sent down before Dec 12th without needing waivers.
Right before they play 7 in 11. On which its a western road swing. Worst possible timing for this. They will likely need him for that stretch of games more than any all season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Doesnt mean Chychrun cant kill. They have to use Hamonic somewhere. Hey man if you think the coach playing Hamonic 6 minutes less a game than JBD means he thinks he is the superior player and would prefer him in the lineup have at it. I wont subscribe to that notion. You sure you are watching the same team? One player is playing much better than the other and is rewarded with substantially more ice time. Kinda ironic that you say that to someone else considering whats been happening in front of our eyes.

No, it just means when given the chance our coach has chosen every other Dman over him when it came time to kill penalties.

So on the one hand, your telling me trust the coach, he plays JBD more than Hamonic, while on the other you brush away the fact that the coach clearly values Hamonic as a penalty killer and to date hasn't put that same trust in JBD or Chychrun.

I guess we'll see what the coach does when Chabot is back, I have a feeling DJ will lean towards keeping his top penalty killers available rather than keeping JBD in the lineup. I like how JBD has played, I just feel like we've seen this all happen before, only the names have changed. We had Brannstrom stepping up when Chabot was injured playing tons of mins the last two years only to still be in and out for Holden, the coach likes his PK guys, it's not what I want, but it is what I expect.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Right before they play 7 in 11. On which its a western road swing. Worst possible timing for this. They will likely need him for that stretch of games more than any all season.

Maybe they opt for 7 defenceman and 11 forwards going into that stretch, with MacEwen going back down. I believe we can afford that with JBD as the 7th defenceman.

Of course the downside to that is you lose your chance to sneak JBD back down.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Maybe the org opts to go with 3 LD and 3 RD when Chabot comes back. I’m going on record as saying it’s a bad move if they do it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Has JBD passed Brannstrom as the guy who moves into the top 4 when there are injuries. I was looking at TOI since Brannstrom came back.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
IF one our best 4 defenders can make a transition to the right side (i.e., like they've tried with Chabot), then JBD could ultimately replace Hamonic on the 3rd pair as the RD. His cap hit is low, so that's an advantage. Having said that, they'd also need to figure out who they'd have playing on PK as others have noted in here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Has JBD passed Brannstrom as the guy who moves into the top 4 when there are injuries. I was looking at TOI since Brannstrom came back.
If this is how he’s going to play going forward, adding those hits into the mix too? Then yes in my opinion.

Though to qualify, he does play the side we need and looks to be developing into the exact style we need as well.

I’m really pulling for this kid as he is starting to show glimpses of that vaunted Zub 2.0 that we need.

If Kleven can become a player as well we could start to see our D be sorted internally.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Only because of his handedness, I would think.

Branny is a better player than JBD at the moment and most likely will always transition the puck better but if JBD can actually become a good defensive D, that would be massive for the team.

Reactions: DrEasy and Bileur

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

LHD vs RHD?

From what I see, Brannstrom hasn't played a minute on RD this season (and we know the DJ Dorion era reluctance about it) so they are not competing with each others at all.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
LHD vs RHD?

From what I see, Brannstrom hasn't played a minute on RD this season (and we know the DJ Dorion era reluctance about it) so they are not competing with each others at all.
Well they kind of are due to lack of cap space to carry 7 D unless a move is made to free up space.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No, I think it's just an alignment of LD and RD..

Reactions: Bileur

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
DJ played Hammer with Sandy for a few games, and JBD on third pair, when wasn’t working, switched them. ( not talking about PK, since convo didn’t start there)

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think fisher fought quite a bit more.

Edit: looking back, you're right. He had 39 career fights over 19 seasons. Just over 2 per year.

Harmonic has 55 career fights in 15 years. 3-4 per year.

Its funny how I remember fisher as a much more physical player than harmonic.

Maybe its because he's only fought once in the 3 years he's been in Ottawa.

He has years of 8 and 7 and 7 fights. Makes me wonder why he's so hesitant to step up with such a young team and not many fighters and other teams constantly going after guys like timmie or Sanderson after the whistles.

Fisher didn't fight that much, he always did it for a reason or when he was furious. He was tough as nails too, didn't really lose, perhaps because he only fought when he was furious.

Probably why we remember him fighting more than he did. They were memorable.

Reactions: luiginb and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Fisher didn't fight that much, he always did it for a reason or when he was furious. He was tough as nails too, didn't really lose, perhaps because he only fought when he was furious.

Probably why we remember him fighting more than he did. They were memorable.
Feels like he was in a lot of scrums though.

Zack Smith was another guy who always seemed to be in the mix after the whistle.

Some guys just skate to the bench, or skate towards it before looking back to see if they are needed.

Some guys don’t look to the bench at all until the dust has settled.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad