Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Still hurts me to watch JBD out there. I literally said to a buddy while watching the game against Vancouver, "watch number 24, lowest IQ plays I've seen from a guy in the pros in a while."

JBD proceeded to hld on to the puck in the D zone 2-3 seconds too long while pressured and coughed it up. There's rookie mistakes (what I attribute Kleven's errors to for now), then there's guys that JUST don't have it.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Still hurts me to watch JBD out there. I literally said to a buddy while watching the game against Vancouver, "watch number 24, lowest IQ plays I've seen from a guy in the pros in a while."

JBD proceeded to hld on to the puck in the D zone 2-3 seconds too long while pressured and coughed it up. There's rookie mistakes (what I attribute Kleven's errors to for now), then there's guys that JUST don't have it.
That’s interesting, I’ve read a few complimentary takes on JBD’s performance the last couple-3 games (a la bottom 6 variety) but I just don’t see it. I see hesitation and then forced plays, fully telegraphed decision making, mozza-ball short passes to his D partner or a supporting F that are hard to handle cleanly, just a lot of tough looks. I’m not anti-JBD, I just don’t think he is handling the NHL level. When I see 24 vs 85 retrieving it chasing down pucks it’s polar opposite comfort levels (from my comfortable couch). I hope he finds a role at some point, but we need stronger depth D, especially on the right.

Edit: I have seen him make a few good plays and passes as well, to be fair

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018

He’s a ‘cup of coffee in the nhl’ kinda guy, top pairing ahl player

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Very funny stat, among all NHL pairings that have played at least 45 ES mins together, CHychrun-Hamonic has the highest xGF/60 and GF/60 in the league lol

Yeah digging into advanced stats (but small sample size), it seems our best set up would be :

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Brannstrom
Chychrun - Hamonic

Dorion is not there anymore so why not Brannstrom on RD? But DJ might also be part of that decision... Staios should just overrule it! lol

ok but that's what you said in the previous post so I already know. I was asking a different question but ok
I guess I misunderstood your last post.

Reactions: Xspyrit

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The decision making just hasn't been there at any point yet in his NHL career. He's "fine" without the puck on his stick, generally in the right spot, isn't afraid to get in front of the puck. But there isn't a player I want making a breakout pass less than him. He's always holding for an extra 2 seconds. He really does remind me of a poor man's Cody Ceci in a lot of ways. I can't imagine he'll get a longer leash or many more chances once the Sens move on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The decision making just hasn't been there at any point yet in his NHL career. He's "fine" without the puck on his stick, generally in the right spot, isn't afraid to get in front of the puck. But there isn't a player I want making a breakout pass less than him. He's always holding for an extra 2 seconds. He really does remind me of a poor man's Cody Ceci in a lot of ways. I can't imagine he'll get a longer leash or many more chances once the Sens move on.
He was the best of the callups.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He was the best of the callups.

The bar is the floor.

Despite being Dorion's 3rd son Kleven isn't ready and they clearly don't want to play Mantipalo.

The Sens (of the last decade or so at least) and a lack of defensive depth goes together like peanut butter and jelly though.

Reactions: Cosmix

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
JBD wears Volchenkov's number and thinks he is the A-Train! Some great hits against Detroit Chickenwings thus far. Hope he keeps it up!

When the team's entirely healthy, Hammer may need to ride the pine. Looking worse even when slotted as #6, mileage is a factor in his questionable on-ice decision making for a long time vet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
JBD still hesitates with the puck, but positionally he's in lanes blocking a tone of shots, and if he can keep up the physical play, we've got a decent player imo. I don't need him to truck two guys a night like he did today, but even in the one on one battles he just looked stronger, not sure what is in the water in Sweden but JBD needs to bring some home.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He's not a low IQ player, he's just forced to rush all the time due to his awful skating ability for his size.

At lower levels it wasn't a problem, at the NHL he just doesn't have the time and space to make plays anymore, which is why his passing ability is no longer good enough and his offense has dried up.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
JBD wears Volchenkov's number and thinks he is the A-Train! Some great hits against Detroit Chickenwings thus far. Hope he keeps it up!

When the team's entirely healthy, Hammer may need to ride the pine. Looking worse even when slotted as #6, mileage is a factor in his questionable on-ice decision making for a long time vet.

Hamonic is still useful but he shouldn’t be a roster lock anymore. Rotate him in and out. He’s a big boy, he can take it.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He's not a low IQ player, he's just forced to rush all the time due to his awful skating ability for his size.

At lower levels it wasn't a problem, at the NHL he just doesn't have the time and space to make plays anymore, which is why his passing ability is no longer good enough and his offense has dried up.
Not sure how much you watched him at the lower levels. But in my viewings it was a problem at UND too.

He's always been a bit of a panicky offensive player. He's made it work for the most part, since he plays a pretty good positional game. He was a fan and coach favourite there.

He needs to get stronger and quicker and continue to build his confidence.

Aim for a pure shutdown partner role because he doesn't have the raw tools to do anything else.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He has been much better the last few games.

Seems to have adjusted to NHL pace and is making smarter plays in our zone.

He still has no offense to offer at this point but if he continues to improve he will be a find bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: gab6511 and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His game is coming along pretty well. Id hope/think he has passed Hamonic on the depth chart. He seems to be getting comfortable and settling into his role. Physicality is improving with his confidence. Its good news all around.

I hope next game Kleven is in and Hamonic is out. He's struggling right now.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
I thought he played solid tonight but it’s funny that almost every game he plays theres a goal against where he’s sliding past the goal scorer while on his knees lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
even outside his big hits tonight I though it was clearly & noticeably his best game.
If that were ever to be his base level night to night he’d be a nice player for us despite there being little offensive upside.
I’d easily sit Hamonic before JBD.
I honestly have no idea where it came from, I don't think I've ever seen him make hits like that at any level, then he has two in one game, both perfectly timed,

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad