Speculation: Jackets open for business, 4th overall available for right deal

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
How about CBJ 4th overall + Laine to Utah for #6 overall? Jackets get to clear some cap and still retain a high pick while Utah gets a player that might bounce back and help sell some tickets.

The Jackets have ZERO obligation to help another team out in the way you’re suggesting. We don’t need to clear cap. This is silly.

Reactions: Indy18

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Just for fun, and assuming Montreal views Demidov, Levshunov and Lindstrom as DEFINITELY better (and better fits) than anybody they could draft at pick number 5 :

to Columbus Blue Jackets
5th overall pick
Samuel Montembeault (3y @ $3.15m)
Jordan Harris (1y @ $1.4m RFA)
( retain $1.62m on Merzlikins )
TOTAL CAP = $6.17m (+ Jiricek to AHL, remove Jiricek cap from roster)
CAP CHANGE = open $0.1484m in cap

to Montreal Canadiens
4th overall pick
Elvis Merzlikins (30% retained) (3y @ $3.78m)
maybe Columbus adds like a 4th or 5th or 6th rounder too ? no ?
TOTAL CAP = $3.78m (+ Struble to NHL, add Struble cap to roster)
CAP CHANGE = add $0.0975m in cap

Columbus will trade Montembeault between now and next summer so that Greaves has an NHL spot and doesn't need to be waived or have 3 goalies on roster. Perhaps they trade him right away to Detroit for Husso (with or without retention) and a pick.

MONTREAL - Merzlikins + Primeau
COLUMBUS - Montembeault + Tarasov ( + Greaves callup )

or

MONTREAL - Merzlikins + Primeau
COLUMBUS - Tarasov + Husso ( + Greaves callup )
DETROIT - Montembeault + Lyon ( + Cossa callup )
if MTL has say Demidov in a tier of his own (say Celibrini tier 1, Demidov clear tier 2 and there's a drop off after that) then yes they'd go for it, but usually when a team views a player that highly other teams will as well, so a trade like this wouldn't happen (CBJ would just draft the player)

the players that NHL execs/scouts think are overrated and HF/the internet think are good tend to just fall, you won't need to trade for them as they'll naturally be available to you, if there's someone you think is good (this high in the draft) odds are others will as well and there won't be a trade available

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Still think there is a deal between the Habs and the Jackets around 4OA + Laine for 5OA + 26th (or other piece)
Remove Laine, and it’s realistic. Habs don’t need Laine and aren’t going to want him. CBJ could then also turn around and trade from 5, if they want to as well. Seems like a good way to maximize the return for them, even if it takes a little extra work.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
What do the jackets need/want besides everything?

Flames and Jets should be in on this. Great draft for the flames in the first round, lots of Russians and western Canada guys, Yaremchuck, Catton, Iginla etc..

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
- Only if Demidov or Levshunov are still on the board at 4
- Only if Ottawa has figured out their goaltending by then.

1719090008869.png

Apr 9, 2009
USA
How about CBJ 4th overall + Laine to Utah for #6 overall? Jackets get to clear some cap and still retain a high pick while Utah gets a player that might bounce back and help sell some tickets.

Is this a serious post?

Jackets give up a guy who has generally been PPG for them and move down? What?

If they move the 4th overall, it's not to make the team worse. And this trade makes them worse, twice,

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
A top 4 pick has never been traded in the salary cap era.

5th overall was traded once, in a trade down to 7 (further flipped for 9)

7th overall was traded 1 other time for Debrincat
Last straight up trade for 4 I remember was in 2002 when Tampa traded #4 for Fedotenko and 2 second rounders, allowing the Flyers to get Joni Pitkanen. I still think WTF from that trade.

That was also the draft where Columbus traded from 3 to 1 to get Nash. 3 of the top 4 picks were traded. Horrible draft, but still...

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Last straight up trade for 4 I remember was in 2002 when Tampa traded #4 for Fedotenko and 2 second rounders, allowing the Flyers to get Joni Pitkanen. I still think WTF from that trade.

That was also the draft where Columbus traded from 3 to 1 to get Nash. 3 of the top 4 picks were traded. Horrible draft, but still...
There were a number of those types of trades pre salary cap era. Which makes sense. A superstar is a superstar at that time, and if you can afford it, it doesn't matter much what they cost.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Wadell has a history of openly saying the top pick is available for trade for the right deal. He does it to see what he can get and most likely not serious about moving it. I will never forget the day, he was shopping the 1st pick in 2001. Hes a mad genius I tell ya.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
There were a number of those types of trades pre salary cap era. Which makes sense. A superstar is a superstar at that time, and if you can afford it, it doesn't matter much what they cost.
Well that, and at that time (01-03) I don't think that draft picks were held in that high a regard; the drafts from 1995-2000 (with the exception of 1998) produced lower calibre players than we're used to. 2002 didn't seem all that great either (and it wasn't). Leading into the draft it was Jay Bouwmeester and some guys (Nash was well regarded as well, just not the consensus first overall). Columbus to 1 doesn't happen if there wasn't a side deal in place to ensure Atlanta doesn't take Bouwmeester at 2.

In any event, the conventional wisdom these days is if you want a superstar you have to draft them, because they very rarely become available otherwise. In the previous era, players were far likelier to test free agency, especially since they didn't have the option until their age 31 season. Imagine Connor McDavid being under team control until 2028. Or Bedard bound to Chicago until 2036? It seems that players these days don't ever want to reach that option unless they have a falling out with their team (and force a trade out where they would likely sign a long-term extension).

Anyways, I'm rambling but first round picks generally weren't as valuable back then, unless you had a Thornton or a Lecavalier or a Kovalchuk at the top of the list. There were several reasons for that, not just the cap reasons we have today.

Reactions: dgibb10

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

MacLean also traded down from #4 to #8 in 2004 for a late 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad