Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Him and Cozens not shying away from that stuff is awesome. Wish he had more players that were willing to tango.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Do you think someone like Lucic or Wilson is scared of Cozens or Quinn dropping the gloves if they take a run at a Sabre?
Hopefully that attitude would be infectious and the whole team jumps over only to have one guy get dropped on their head

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Do you think someone like Lucic or Wilson is scared of Cozens or Quinn dropping the gloves if they take a run at a Sabre?
No but we would respond and not look like pusses. Which might deter the non-Wilson/Lucic types from pulling stuff like that. Wilson does his thing against every team in the league. No team will ever have players that stop those guys from doing what they do. Expecting complete deterrence isn’t a realistic way to look at it.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

I’ve always found that negation argument largely inaccurate- Lucic was the biggest goon in the league and doesn’t seem to think, generally speaking. He wanted to be a dick and he was, I’m not sure anyone in the league woulda disincentivized him from pulling that crap. Sabres response was still shit, but having a Reaves stapled to your bench doesn’t do much. I suppose someone coulda run their goalie in response, but again, I don’t think Lucic makes connections like that.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No but we would respond and not look like pusses. Which might deter the non-Wilson/Lucic types from pulling stuff like that. Wilson does his thing against every team in the league. No team will ever have players that stop those guys from doing what they do. Expecting complete deterrence isn’t a realistic way to look at it.

But the post I was replying to specifically called out the Lucic on Miller hit and not lesser rats.

Honestly, I think the biggest deterrent is a great PP. Goons are gonna goon. And rats are gonna rat. But, coaches will stress not being an idiot and taking a penalty against a team with a really good PP as opposed to teams that can't score a PP goal for the life of them.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hopefully that attitude would be infectious and the whole team jumps over only to have one guy get dropped on their head

I think third man in rules stop that idea in it's tracks.

"Team toughness" is a good thing to have. I just don't believe that it will ever stop other team's goons and rats from doing their thing and taking cheap shots at guys when the opportunity presents itself like Lucic on Miller.

The only way to get rid of that stuff is to have the NHL put someone in charge of player safety that starts throwing the book at guys left and right.

Exhibit A from last night:

'A predatory hit': Wild head coach calls out Bruins for how Kaprizov was hurt

Only the NHL can get Trent Frederic to change how he plays and to think twice before hitting someone like that in the future.

Someone jumping in and eating some rights from Frederic will not change how he plays.

Last edited:

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
It's not about making them scared. In those situations, you have to respond as a team. You need players that will fight for their brothers. Hopefully we have those types on our team going forward.

Reactions: Sansbacon

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Kid wasted almost no time putting the puck back in the net
After having mono he could have a 10 game pointless streak and I’d be alright with it. Even better. I got it a few years back and when I had it going from my bed to my bathroom seemed like a marathon and even after it was over I wasn’t the same for months as an in shape young dude. Both times I got covid was way easier on both my body and mental.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
It's not about making them scared. In those situations, you have to respond as a team. You need players that will fight for their brothers. Hopefully we have those types on our team going forward.
this is probably the most dramatic change i’ve seen this season. last year almost no one would stand up. this year it seems like guys are chomping at the bit if something dirty happens. i have no doubt in my mind that this will remain part of this teams identity after seeing the kids respond down in rochester.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

They need team toughness. But that won’t stop players like Lucic from taking runs at guys.

And the NHL is moving away from stuff like McSorley taking a run at Gilmour because the Leafs were taking runs at Gretzky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad