Player Discussion Jack Quinn, RW (8th overall, 2020): Named AHL Rookie of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Really hope we get to see this kid up in the NHL in the next few weeks. That injury came at the worst time. He was looking good. Would've loved to see how he progressed through his growing pains this season.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Really hope we get to see this kid up in the NHL in the next few weeks. That injury came at the worst time. He was looking good. Would've loved to see how he progressed through his growing pains this season.
I'm sure they'll love to have him for the playoffs in ROC. Guess it depends on how many guys we're able to move out at the deadline and injuries of course.

E: he certainly seems like he can step right into an NHL role and be an impact player.

SB716

Jun 1, 2015
Did they change the ELC terms for AHL? Seen some chatter on twitter asking is Adams keeping Quinn and Peterka in Rochester and playing under 9 NHL games to have their ELC’s slide. I was always under the impression that if they played in the AHL the elc started and the 9 games was for jr guys to get a look and go back if necessary

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Did they change the ELC terms for AHL? Seen some chatter on twitter asking is Adams keeping Quinn and Peterka in Rochester and playing under 9 NHL games to have their ELC’s slide. I was always under the impression that if they played in the AHL the elc started and the 9 games was for jr guys to get a look and go back if necessary

Found this on CapFriendly in the CBA section:

What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.​

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.
Looking at Jack Quinn specifically, he signed November 16, 2020. In 20-21, he played zero games for Buffalo and 15 games for Rochester. His ELC did slide and now expires after the 23-24 season.

Edit:
The other thing I just thought of is that the way the rules are set up, if a junior (CHL) guy doesn't make an NHL roster, he has to go back to junior. Last year was an exception because of the pandemic, which is why Quinn, and many other junior players, were able to play in the AHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: SB716

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Here’s a question, is there anyone drafted above him that you would be willing to trade him for right at this moment?

Laf
Byfield
Stutzle
Raymond
Sanderson
Drysdale
Holtz

Can make an argument for Raymond or one of the centers but none of them are a slam dunk with the historic AHL pace Quinn is on.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Here’s a question, is there anyone drafted above him that you would be willing to trade him for right at this moment?

Laf
Byfield
Stutzle
Raymond
Sanderson
Drysdale
Holtz

Can make an argument for Raymond or one of the centers but none of them are a slam dunk with the historic AHL pace Quinn is on.

Hopefully he is making people think "why did we pass on Quinn" from some of those teams going forward. He's dynamite right now.

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls

Laf
Byfield
Stutzle
Raymond
Sanderson
Drysdale
Holtz

Quinton Byfield on any other team then ours I'd take over Quinn. Were gonna be spoiled with Dahlin and Power

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Laf
Byfield
Stutzle
Raymond
Sanderson
Drysdale
Holtz

Currently Raymond and Sanderson are the only ones in contention for me

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Laf
Byfield
Stutzle
Raymond
Sanderson
Drysdale
Holtz

It's fun to feel like you may have gotten the best player, but let's be honest, that draft class still has some developing to do. To answer your question, I might think twice about Stutzle or Byfield. I even like Sanderson a lot.

Reactions: Chainshot

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Going through the AHL history, if you filter out guys who have fewer games that Jack, and guys 24 and older, there's only a handful of people who have come close to this scoring rate, and even fewer within the average HF poster's lifetime. I don't think I found a single one born after the 1960's. This is basically unprecidented so comparisons to Pasternak are no longer far-fetched at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad