Proposal: Jack Eichel to Anaheim 4 Fair Value

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Really where?
“He has the potential to be a top-line center that's hard to play against and can play big minutes in all situations."

“I kind of see a Ryan O'Reilly with a little more offensive upside. He's a guy that's going to be a team leader, a face-of-a-franchise type guy that's going to do what it takes to win. I think that there's just a little bit more to like about McTavish than Beniers, long term."

I mean all you have to do is read/watch and you’ll find plenty more, he trends somewhere between 2c and 1c.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
“He has the potential to be a top-line center that's hard to play against and can play big minutes in all situations."

“I kind of see a Ryan O'Reilly with a little more offensive upside. He's a guy that's going to be a team leader, a face-of-a-franchise type guy that's going to do what it takes to win. I think that there's just a little bit more to like about McTavish than Beniers, long term."

I mean all you have to do is read/watch and you’ll find plenty more, he trends somewhere between 2c and 1c.

ROR is good comparable, and he is a 2C realistically, so 2C which is what I said, top line C is a stretch, he reminds me of ROR or Horvat.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
ROR is good comparable, and he is a 2C realistically, so 2C which is what I said, top line C is a stretch, he reminds me of ROR or Horvat.
It depends how he does going forward…. I think he was a late riser…. And started to hit his stride later…. So there is def potential/room for him to grow as a player.

I also think there was def years where ROR was a 1c.

Somewhere between 1c and 2c is where I think he lands. I’ll wait and see how he does this year before I close the door on 1c potential

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It depends how he does going forward…. I think he was a late riser…. And started to hit his stride later…. So there is def potential/room for him to grow as a player.

I also think there was def years where ROR was a 1c.

Somewhere between 1c and 2c is where I think he lands. I’ll wait and see how he does this year before I close the door on 1c potential

Totally get that, I do love the player, guys like that are integral to winning cups.

Reactions: Getz2noone

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ducks should bow out. Basically every championship team has been built around their drafting and supplemented by trade and free agents. Eichel has led his team to more #1 overall picks than playoff appearances, trading 3 out of the Ducks 4 most valuable pieces (referring to the deals that have Z/Dry+McT+1st) is just going to make Anaheim a Buffalo minus the lottery luck.

Eichel is unhappy with losing and sounds like he's still hurt and will miss the start of next season. Neither of those will be helped in Anaheim (who are still in the middle of the rebuild and have had pretty bad luck with injuries).

Anaheim has a deep prospect pool, some of the young guys seem like they are breaking out. They just need one or two guys to put everything together and a few others to hit their realistic potential. Just stick to the process and don't try to FastTrack it. It sucks for fans to go through but every one of the top teams went through it.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Its probably better for the Ducks that McTavish turns into a high end 2C so the Ducks don't eventually end up paying both Zegras & McTavish 9mil+ aav each when they get a long term deal.
Paying 20 million for 2 forwards hasn't worked out well for Edmonton in the playoffs.

If McTavish were to become a winger he would be a top line winger with his shooting ability which could happen if they end up drafting one of Savoie/Lambert/Wright.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Its probably better for the Ducks that McTavish turns into a high end 2C so the Ducks don't eventually end up paying both Zegras & McTavish 9mil+ aav each when they get a long term deal.
Paying 20 million for 2 forwards hasn't worked out well for Edmonton in the playoffs.

If McTavish were to become a winger he would be a top line winger with his shooting ability which could happen if they end up drafting one of Savoie/Lambert/Wright.

With the Oilers though it's more there lack of ability to find a solid starting G and a solid blue line, that has nothing to do with the cap space taken up my McJeesus and Drai.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Steve253

Sep 26, 2020
I'd do it if the pick was unprotected for sure.. f***ing mason mactavish hellyeah!, and rakell for a year oh yeah bud

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I just can't wait for the day when Eichel goes for WAY less than Bugffalo fans think he'll fetch....
Pure delusion...

Reactions: DatDude44

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
MacTavish or 22 1st, Comtois, Perreault or Dostal, Steel or Jones plus a prospect.

Reactions: duckpuck

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I firmly believe they won’t trade him to ny bc it’s bad for the fans to see their franchise player get traded across the state and start tearing it up.

Just responding to this part, regardless of where Eichel goes, the Rangers and Sabres have never had a rivalry. They’re not in the same division and they play each other MAYBE twice a season. With Buffalo’s timetable in terms of rebuilding, they won’t be a contender again most likely until Eichel’s current deal is done.

If avoiding a team that could give them the best realistic return just because they’re in the same conference is the line of thought, then Adams is more stupid than he looks.

If it was the Rangers and the Devils or Islanders, then ok.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
MacTavish or 22 1st, Comtois, Perreault or Dostal, Steel or Jones plus a prospect.
If Anaheim is getting out of giving up one of Zegras or Drysdale, Anaheim is going to have to pay up. I don't see how Buffalo doesn't insist on both McTavish and that 22 1st rounder and more and really that's still an underwhelming return given the caliber of player Buffalo is trading here. It's great Anaheim fans are high on McTavish, but I don't see the upside of a typical 3rd overall pick and if that's how he's being valued then the conversation should pivot back to Drysdale or Zegras. The 1st is still a mystery box, maybe it's high, maybe it's in the teens I don't assume Buffalo would catch any type of break rolling the dice on that. That's not a risk Buffalo should be taking as the "centerpiece" in an Eichel deal.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If Anaheim is getting out of giving up one of Zegras or Drysdale, Anaheim is going to have to pay up. I don't see how Buffalo doesn't insist on both McTavish and that 22 1st rounder and more and really that's still an underwhelming return given the caliber of player Buffalo is trading here. It's great Anaheim fans are high on McTavish, but I don't see the upside of a typical 3rd overall pick and if that's how he's being valued then the conversation should pivot back to Drysdale or Zegras. The 1st is still a mystery box, maybe it's high, maybe it's in the teens I don't assume Buffalo would catch any type of break rolling the dice on that. That's not a risk Buffalo should be taking as the "centerpiece" in an Eichel deal.

It's too much from Anaheim's POV and too little from Buffalo's POV. Pretty good indication that the two teams are not good trading partners for Eichel.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Who are Zegras and Eichel gonna pass to ? That seems to rely on Rakell staying and Pastujov getting to the NHL sooner than expected.
Depth players are much easier to find then high end talent. That's one established high end guy in his prime and another guy in Zegras that's trending in that direction. Anytime you get the chance to turn a handful of dimes and nickles into a dollar bill you should take it.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
It's too much from Anaheim's POV and too little from Buffalo's POV. Pretty good indication that the two teams are not good trading partners for Eichel.
Maybe. Again I think it depends on how you value the assets involved in this trade. I'm not looking at that 1st being a top 5 lock the way a lot of Ducks fans are and while I think McTavish will have a long successful NHL career I'm leaning towards him being more of a Bo Horvat type who's a good 2C.
Obviously Eichel's value has been discussed ad nauseam. It hinges mostly on what you think happens with his neck long-term. If you think it's a career ender and he'll never be the same you aren't even interested in him or your treat him like a scratch off ticket and offer pennies on the dollar for him. I tend to lean towards the other side. A young guy in great overall health with the best doctors in the world working on him is far more likely to have a positive outcome from a surgery. A surgery that already has a very high success rate in the general population and other sports. If you don't want to take on that risk that's understandable. Some people are more risk averse than others. If I were a Ducks fan and my team landed Eichel without giving up Drysdale or Zegras I'd be ecstatic.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I just can't wait for the day when Eichel goes for WAY less than Bugffalo fans think he'll fetch....
Pure delusion...

So what do you think us “hive minded” Sabres fans expect in a trade for Eichel? You are smarter than us, so name every team and the package we are demanding from each team. You can do this, because you’re so much smarter than us and know what exactly we’re demanding.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Maybe. Again I think it depends on how you value the assets involved in this trade. I'm not looking at that 1st being a top 5 lock the way a lot of Ducks fans are and while I think McTavish will have a long successful NHL career I'm leaning towards him being more of a Bo Horvat type who's a good 2C.
Obviously Eichel's value has been discussed ad nauseam. It hinges mostly on what you think happens with his neck long-term. If you think it's a career ender and he'll never be the same you aren't even interested in him or your treat him like a scratch off ticket and offer pennies on the dollar for him. I tend to lean towards the other side. A young guy in great overall health with the best doctors in the world working on him is far more likely to have a positive outcome from a surgery. A surgery that already has a very high success rate in the general population and other sports. If you don't want to take on that risk that's understandable. Some people are more risk averse than others. If I were a Ducks fan and my team landed Eichel without giving up Drysdale or Zegras I'd be ecstatic.

Of course you would...your a Buffalo fan desperate to get rid of him for a king's ransom.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
How is the offer weak ?

let’s dissect the offer :
Mason McTavish - recent 3OA pick. Many believe to have #1C upside.

2022 1st top 3 protected : deep draft and ducks likely pick high, if too high , Sabres get a chance at Michkov/ Bedard & Ducks get Wright / Savoie : Lambert

Rickard Rakell - 3.8 mil cap hit for 1 more year . Can trade for a 1st + prospect @ deadline

jackson Lacombe - looking like a potential top 4 dman and a high 2nd round pick. Goes to the same school as recent 1st round Sabre Ryan Johnson

Brayden Tracey - former 1st round pick who projects as a top 9 goal scorer

Lukas Dostal - looking like a future 1G

can’t see Buffalo receiving more

From my perspective, this is an ovepay by the Ducks and I think Buffalo will get nothing close to this. A healthy Eichel when teams are not Covid cap constrained - maybe gets this type of return.

Let’s be honest no one is offering anything close to zegras

Sabre fans are delusional

Exactly. Buffalo can hold out and maybe the market changes, but I don't think any team is offering that level of prospect.

Not a sabers fan look at my pic lol. I’m a Leafs fan and on a good team Eichel would be as good as Matthews, he’s definitely worth more than Zegras

It is almost like you're not aware Eichel has a serious injury and a huge contract. Even if Zegras is never as good as Eichel, his value is massive given how young and cheap he is. In the cap world, it is possible for a less talented player (assuming Zegras is that) to have equal or more value given age, contract and health.

This strikes me as about right, maybe a bit rich for the ducks.

I understand why this would be Buffalo's perspective. Maybe another team will give up a package like the one your asking for - but I don't know of a team that has the assets, need, and cap space to include two high picks and a bunch of other assets. A month ago I would have said LA. Maybe NYR or Vegas, but they are in tougher cap positions.

Also, it is seems like you're assuming Eichel is healthy when he's not. If he's traded to Anaheim, he probably misses half the year and returns with a lot of rust (and possibly longer term health problems). And the ducks are paying $10M for the privilege of that shit show. The ducks 2022 pick will be pretty high in any event.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Of course you would...your a Buffalo fan desperate to get rid of him for a king's ransom.
The assumption we'll get a kings ransom has come and gone. McTavish is a good prospect certainly a tier or two below Zegras and Drysdale. A future 1st rounder is a complete unknown, some b prospects are more likely to flame out then be difference makers moving forward. You're overvaluing your assets. I know your stance on Eichel's neck though, your about a step away from calling it a death sentence. Anyone that's popped into the Eichel threads has seen it over and over. Others don't share your opinion. Right now we know what healthy Eichel is, and that's a franchise player you can build around. Now obviously he isn't healthy and that's why he's available at a discount, even if you don't like the price, it's still discounted. As a comparable for a lesser player Buffalo paid a "steep price" for ROR. People hated that we traded Zadorov, a good prospect in Compher, a scratch off ticket in Grigorenko and the 1st pick of the 2nd round and guess what that was a no brainer trade for Buffalo. You always trade for the established talent and this is the best player (in his prime with term) that's been on the market in over a decade+, but sure it's Buffalo and it's fans that are trying to swindle Anaheim.

I understand why this would be Buffalo's perspective. Maybe another team will give up a package like the one your asking for - but I don't know of a team that has the assets, need, and cap space to include two high picks and a bunch of other assets. A month ago I would have said LA. Maybe NYR or Vegas, but they are in tougher cap positions.

Also, it is seems like you're assuming Eichel is healthy when he's not. If he's traded to Anaheim, he probably misses half the year and returns with a lot of rust (and possibly longer term health problems). And the ducks are paying $10M for the privilege of that shit show. The ducks 2022 pick will be pretty high in any event.
There are plenty of teams that need a player like Eichel and most of those teams if sold on his recovery have the assets to make a trade work. It may need a good dose of creativity (like Buffalo taking considerable salary back), but I don't think the market on a player of Eichel's caliber "dries up". I'm not assuming he's healthy at all, he needs surgery (as we've been told). He's likely missing a big chunk of this year. Now would I bet on him being healthy for at worst the beginning of next season? Absolutely and then you have a franchise player for 4 years. I'd assume any deal involving Eichel is going to have salary coming back. If it involves the Ducks maybe the Sabres take back a dump in Henrique and then there goes that 10 million dollar risk your taking as Buffalo is eating a washed up vet at 5.8 for the next 3 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad