Speculation: Jack Eichel cont'd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Well, I don't agree that he is a 40-50 points player. Of course he is not on the level of Eichel, but I would like to see such a player in Buffalo, he would be a good top 6 C under Granato.

In the weak Canadian division, he would have had 60 points last year. He might crack mid-60s for a blip of his career but he'll be a 20-goalie 30 point guy most seasons which is a very nice player. He had a good playoff and people are now projecting him close to a point a game guy and i cannot see it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
From a Sharks perspective I'd rather hold onto those assets and move forward with them. I wouldn't do that trade if I'm Colorado either. Idk why you chose the Kings package as the one not to include a 1st either.

Yeah, I have no idea why that is the one deal without a 1st and then why it is the highest ranked package. That is maybe the 3rd best one to me.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Putting on my shoes and pretending to be a Sabres fan. Here are the deals I'd prefer in order...

1. Eichel to Los Angeles for Valardi, Kaliyev, a 2nd and 3rd.

2. Eichel to San Jose Sharks for Eklund, Labanc, a 1st and 3rd.

3. Eichel to Colorado for Newhook, Girard, a 1st and 2nd.

4. Eichel to Vegas for Krebs, Dadonov, Whitecloud and a 1st.

Can't imagine the Sharks putting Eklund on the table. I think they're more likely to put Bordeleau and Wiesblatt in the deal over Eklund.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If it is an insurance issue(which I doubt), then don’t you think the Sabres, Eichel, or a 3rd party( agent, doctor, reporter) would’ve mentioned that? You’re grasping at straws to find some logic here
Absolutely not.

1.) DoHHS made it very clear a couple of years ago that Athletes and there medical records are protected under HIPAA. Media sources and doctors that comment on or spread information on players health or care that is not "Pursuant to the individuals authorization" are breaking federal law and in direct violation of HIPAA, and several news agencies breaking news that violates an individual's HIPAA privacy have found themselves on the losing end of large civil cases in recent years.

2.) The Eichel camp has no interest in the insurance implications going public because it undermines their goal.

3.) The Sabres have no interest in the Insurance implications going public because the narrative that the team is more worried about insurance covering the contract than they are about Jack being able to get the health treatment for his body that he wants is a PR nightmare, not to mention they would be in breach of HIPAA themselves if they did so.

4.) It is naive to think an insurance company would not have any interest in voiding a 34 million dollar payout if the inability of the player to play is a direct result of a medical procedure that is untested on NHL players that went sideways when there was a tried and true procedure available.

Honestly, I do not know who Eichels contract is insured through, but I have read that Loyd's of London has a clause that does not include experimental surgery.

If it was known that insurance would cover the contract after the procedure, I think that would have likely been reported. The overwhelming lack of coverage on the issue is a strong sign that it is a problem that is hiding behind HIPAA regulations.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Absolutely not.

1.) DoHHS made it very clear a couple of years ago that Athletes and there medical records are protected under HIPAA. Media sources and doctors that comment on or spread information on players health or care that is not "Pursuant to the individuals authorization" are breaking federal law and in direct violation of HIPAA, and several news agencies breaking news that violates an individual's HIPAA privacy have found themselves on the losing end of large civil cases in recent years.

2.) The Eichel camp has no interest in the insurance implications going public because it undermines their goal.

3.) The Sabres have no interest in the Insurance implications going public because the narrative that the team is more worried about insurance covering the contract than they are about Jack being able to get the health treatment for his body that he wants is a PR nightmare, not to mention they would be in breach of HIPAA themselves if they did so.

4.) It is naive to think an insurance company would not have any interest in voiding a 34 million dollar payout if the inability of the player to play is a direct result of a medical procedure that is untested on NHL players that went sideways when there was a tried and true procedure available.

Honestly, I do not know who Eichels contract is insured through, but I have read that Loyd's of London has a clause that does not include experimental surgery.

If it was known that insurance would cover the contract after the procedure, I think that would have likely been reported. The overwhelming lack of coverage on the issue is a strong sign that it is a problem that is hiding behind HIPAA regulations.

I would love to see an example of a news agency losing a civil suit due to HIPAA.

HIPAA only applies to these types of covered entities:

1. Health Plans, such as health, dental, vision, and prescription drug insurers, HMOs, Medicare and Medicaid supplement insurers, and employer-sponsored group health plans.
  2. Health Care Providers, if they electronically transmit health information in connection with certain transactions. Health care providers may include physicians, dentists, hospitals, and other entities that furnish, bill, or are paid for health care.
  3. Health Care Clearinghouses, such as billing services and community health management information systems.

Reactions: AslanRH

Ledge And Dairy

if Eichel wasn’t a hockey player he coukd get it….but the surgeons understand the risks in this procedure to pro athletes doing things a regular person isn’t doing.

most doctors say no on this surgery. The Sabres doctor was one of the early creators of this procedure.
Well apparently Eichel has been bombarding the Sabres with medical opinions so that very likely means a lot pf doctors are agreeing with the surgery

Reactions: Fatass

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well apparently Eichel has been bombarding the Sabres with medical opinions so that very likely means a lot pf doctors are agreeing with the surgery

Doctors that he's been opinion-shopping for for almost a year now. Eichel sought multiple "second" opinions outside of the Sabres org before finding even 1 who recommended ADR. It's highly unlikely that any of these doctors has anything new or more persuasive to offer the Sabres medical team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Doctors that he's been opinion-shopping for for almost a year now. Eichel sought multiple "second" opinions outside of the Sabres org before finding even 1 who recommended ADR. It's highly unlikely that any of these doctors has anything new or more persuasive to offer the Sabres medical team.
Why do the interested teams (in trading for Jack) have no issues with supporting his choice of surgery though?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why do the interested teams (in trading for Jack) have no issues with supporting his choice of surgery though?

The fact that there are so few suitors and the rumored pieces they're willing to trade are pretty much all trash is a pretty clear indication that the Sabres are far from alone in their stance on this.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Depends on how you feel about vilardi tbh... i think hes going to be a top player from his draft year.
I agree. I like Vilardi. I think he can be a 30 goal center. And Kaliyev has 35-40 goal upside on the wing -- the kid is a pure sniper and he has a wonderful attitude that's contagious -- I think the Sabres need that in their room.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The fact that there are so few suitors and the rumored pieces they're willing to trade are pretty much all trash is a pretty clear indication that the Sabres are far from alone in their stance on this.
This and your last post are terrific.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Eichel dumping on the Sabres is not helping him attract suitors. No one wants a s*** disturber. People want a s*** disturber with a neck issue even less.

Reactions: Daz28

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

Thats one way of looking at it. Another is that so few suitors can afford his contract and have the pieces to put a trade together. The pieces in the trade arent the best because thats simply the demand for him. Sabres stance doesnt mean much to other teams IMO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tbh I don't understand why the Sabres haven't just allowed Eichel to get the surgery.

It's just odd that every other team is willing to let him get that surgery, but the Sabres aren't willing. You'd almost definitely get more for Eichel post-surgery once he's healed than you'd get right now.

If they would have approved it months ago, he would be healthy right now and they likely could have traded him for a massive return.

Reactions: Fatass

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Tbh I don't understand why the Sabres haven't just allowed Eichel to get the surgery.

It's just odd that every other team is willing to let him get that surgery, but the Sabres aren't willing. You'd almost definitely get more for Eichel post-surgery once he's healed than you'd get right now.

If they would have approved it months ago, he would be healthy right now and they likely could have traded him for a massive return.

It would be odd if that were reality, but it's not.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He said EVERY other NHL team would allow the ADR surgery? In the past he's said that there are others............but he's never said all 31 other teams......

Mistake of wording on my part. Friedman said that all 5 teams that were interested in acquiring him would let him do the ADR surgery. It wasn't all other teams, it was all of the teams that were interested in acquiring him.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What? The Sabres could get so much more in return if they supported Jack in his surgery choice, and he was back playing. I think the Sabres are responsible for Jack having so little value.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

That’s my thinking. A fixed up Jack s worth a great amount. Jack plays in the olympics and then there’s a bidding war for him.. the return could be what really pushes the Sabres foward to becoming very quickly quickly a top level team.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

First, not every other team is willing to let him have his surgery. From most reports, the vast majority would require fusion.

A handful of teams said they would allow ADR but talk is cheap.

Second, the Pagula aren't willing to burn $30-$40M in lost insurance to make Eichel happy. You wouldn't either.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That’s my thinking. A fixed up Jack s worth a great amount. Jack plays in the olympics and then there’s a bidding war for him.. the return could be what really pushes the Sabres foward to becoming very quickly quickly a top level team.
If Jack got ADR (which has never been done on a hockey player) and it turned out poorly, the Sabres would have to pay Eichel's entire surgery - insurance would not cover their share.

If you were the Pagulas, you'd say no, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad