Player Discussion Jack Campbell

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

Is time to cut bait, no matter the cost

The cost to sell a goaltender on a $5x5M contract at his absolute performance low would prevent the team from making any meaningful improvements whatsoever. The play is what Yost is suggesting: put the reigns back in Skinner’s hands and let Campbell work on his game (again). He will get an off-season to figure it out and if he stinks at the start of next season then something may happen.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The cost to sell a goaltender on a $5x5M contract at his absolute performance low would prevent the team from making any meaningful improvements whatsoever. The play is what Yost is suggesting: put the reigns back in Skinner’s hands and let Campbell work on his game (again). He will get an off-season to figure it out and if he stinks at the start of next season then something may happen.
No it wouldn't and it wouldn't leave you locked into this fool errand in goal

It's still early enough in his tenure where you could probably trick someone into "struggling because Oilers," because that's still a lie believed around the league.

Move on from Campbell before they're too sunk in to do anything about it

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

It's still early enough in his tenure where you could probably trick someone into "struggling because Oilers," because that's still a lie believed around the league.

What do you think a realistic cost would be to trade him? Are you willing to part with this season’s first and potentially more just to take back bad cap as well?

I want to see if he can tread water with a defensive upgrade and the team playing a better defensive game. Yesterday was his worst game in a long time. The game before he was absolutely peppered and salvaged a point. I felt Philly was 50/50.

I’m not a big fan of Jack Campbell but Skinner, who has done well earlier in the season in spite of poor team D, has shown cracks lately as well. Bringing in another goalie is no guarantee. I’m actually convinced that most goalies would look bad here the way the team is playing right now

Reactions: Stoneman89

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Just LTIRetire his ass already. He's not an NHL caliber goalie. The fans know it, the opposing teams know it, Campbell himself knows it based on his interview answers, his teammates will never say it in public but they all know it too. The only person who doesn't know it is Ken Holland. Get a new GM, have the new GM work out a deal to put him on LTIRetirement with whatever excuse we need. Fake a skin rash if you have to. Campbell gets to keep his entire 25 million, we get to keep him off the ice. Win win for everyone.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
1st goal was against one of the most elite shots in the game.

2nd goal not a oiler player in sight for 5 seconds

3rd goal routine save until Nurse deflects it in with his shin paYes. Teams don't have perfect games, there are plenty of people blasting Bouchard and nurse too as well as draisaitl lately, but why do you think goalies have to be immune to criticism? Goalies can negatively impact the game more than any other player. And the fa t is Campbell has been statistically one of the worst in the league even by advanced metrics. He was horrible to start year, he had an okay stretch before break, but has now been

Why embarrassing hes got 21 out of 24 points.

Like I said blame him on the last 2 games sure, then we expect perfect
He's not being blasted because solely last 2 games, he's being blasted because he's been among worst in league on the season. Yesnhe had a stretch where he played average and the team outscored the opposition, but he was also abysmal to start the season.

Yes team has blame and there are plenty blasting nurse and others, but why do you believe Campbell should be immune when statistically he's been among worst starters in the league?

Campbell has been bad since theb1st half of last season. His overall stats looked okay, but he had a hot start but was bad for the Leafs the rest of the season.

Skinner put up much better stats. Smith out up better stats for years behind this same defense. Campbell has been bad. End of story.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
He's not being blasted because solely last 2 games, he's being blasted because he's been among worst in league on the season. Yesnhe had a stretch where he played average and the team outscored the opposition, but he was also abysmal to start the season.

Yes team has blame and there are plenty blasting nurse and others, but why do you believe Campbell should be immune when statistically he's been among worst starters in the league?

Campbell has been bad since theb1st half of last season. His overall stats looked okay, but he had a hot start but was bad for the Leafs the rest of the season.

Skinner put up much better stats. Smith out up better stats for years behind this same defense. Campbell has been bad. End of story.
Skinner has a record below .500 right now, thats not good, def not the saving grace of this franchise right now

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
1st goal was against one of the most elite shots in the game.
2nd goal not a oiler player in sight for 5 seconds
3rd goal routine save until Nurse deflects it in with his shin pad.

1st goal: I want my goalie to stop a shot from there. NHL goalies don't routinely give up goals from there. I'm just glad it wasn't glove side where it just went thru his glove.
2nd goal: Yeah there needs to be somebody there. Sh** defense.
3rd goal: Deflection sure but look where his right foot is. It's directly behind him making himself as small as humanly possible. What's the sense in going down in the butterfly is you're gonna collapse & cover the least amount of net.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
1st goal: I want my goalie to stop a shot from there. NHL goalies don't routinely give up goals from there. I'm just glad it wasn't glove side where it just went thru his glove.
2nd goal: Yeah there needs to be somebody there. Sh** defense.
3rd goal: Deflection sure but look where his right foot is. It's directly behind him making himself as small as humanly possible. What's the sense in going down in the butterfly is you're gonna collapse & cover the least amount of net.
Sure, like I said, the goalies are the least of our worry right now. Your going to see the odd bad game from them.

4 Straight games 5GA and 6GA, although a couple shoot outs in there...... Terrible defending

The Rangers game he let 4 in and made 5 more save of the year canidates in the same game...... Like what are our defence doing? Detroit game wasnt his best either, but the break downs we have as a team are insane, then go to the Ottawa game, Skinner let in 6, where's the team defence?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The Ranger game shouldn't have even got to OT so yeah he earned us a point in that game. The Rangers could've scored 10 we played so bad.
This is the same game I saw. The rangers had tons of chances and wide open looks. Our coverage was bad and we were getting outworked and outhit. Most of the analytics is flawed from the start. The HDSC tabulated in the game were a joke and in no way reflected the Rangers dominance in the game. Campbell had to stand on his head to keep it to 4 goals.

Campbell wasn't strong last night but our net front play and our coverage and contain were not good enough. 4 times in the game Colorado are left to bang pucks to the net and bang away and no help moving people out. On the post goal Connor is just standing there instead of just moving the guy out. Campbell needed help on that play and he didn't even get it from the captain What was anybody doing as Mackinnon tried several times to push the puck into the net in OT. Just watching basically. Campbell is a good as the team around him allow him to be.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Unless Campbell, (which this thread is about, and stop finding excuses to compare him to rookie AHL Skinner) is going to show us that he was worth the 5 yr signing as our future No.1 ( which I highly doubt) we're going to have to be creative in either shipping his ass outta here or put him on LTIR like some have suggested.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Sure, like I said, the goalies are the least of our worry right now. Your going to see the odd bad game from them.

4 Straight games 5GA and 6GA, although a couple shoot outs in there...... Terrible defending

The Rangers game he let 4 in and made 5 more save of the year canidates in the same game...... Like what are our defence doing? Detroit game wasnt his best either, but the break downs we have as a team are insane, then go to the Ottawa game, Skinner let in 6, where's the team defence?
I made the point in the coaching thread that other teams scheme heavily to limit McD and Drai. To have numbers back, to be vigilant not allowing open ice or losing contain. Teams work tirelessy to limit our top guns and have to. Yet in successive games all the Rangers and AV's stars are having a field day with our loose coverage. One minute into the third period we have two forwards deep, Hyman is right by Manson when Nuge dumps the puck out and does nothing at all. Just stands there. Manson finds a wide open streaking Mackinnon and he finds the back of the net. Because we let that play happen. Drai was out goal sucking, deserves to be said, In the 3rd period with a two goal lead. On another goal McD is just standing there when the AV is banging the puck into the net. All McD had to do there is take the man. Instead he tries to fish for his stick. just take the man.

When Desharnais is out of the lineup our box out takes a nosedive. Its not coincidence. Goalies need protection around the net. Desharnais gives that.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Unless Campbell, (which this thread is about, and not rookie AHL Skinner) is going to show us that he was worth the 5 yr signing as our future No.1 ( which I highly doubt) we're going to have to be creative in either shipping his ass outta here or put him on LTIR like some have suggested.
The team is going to give him all the time in the world, not just this year but next year also.

You might as well just accept the fact

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
The team is going to give him all the time in the world, not just this year but next year also.

You might as well just accept the fact
So what's even the point Holland of trying to land a big fish Dman, when we have a bigger problem in nets?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Unless Campbell, (which this thread is about, and stop finding excuses to compare him to rookie AHL Skinner) is going to show us that he was worth the 5 yr signing as our future No.1 ( which I highly doubt) we're going to have to be creative in either shipping his ass outta here or put him on LTIR like some have suggested.
AS recently as Friday Campbell was excellent in net. he's been pretty good so far in 2023. Comments always seem to be leveraged so much to latest game. Not mentioned is Campbell is getting all the starts because Skinner has been sick for awhile. Campbell saw a ton of work on Friday and was between pipes again today against another tough opponent. For a goalie its harder to imagine a tougher weekend than facing Rangers and Colorado. Travel day on top of that.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Goaltending is 90% of the game so I disagree that it's the least of our worries. After what happened earlier this season, where Campbell was obviously having a crisis of confidence, it's a big worry because I don't think Skinner is even close to ready.

I hope that game was just fatigue(pulling your leg behind you while in the butterfly making yourself smaller is either a fatigue thing or a confidence thing) & he rebounds to the standard he had during his win streak where he gave us a legit chance to win every game if we scored 3. We shouldn't NEED to score 6 to win.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Goaltending is 90% of the game so I disagree that it's the least of our worries. After what happened earlier this season, where Campbell was obviously having a crisis of confidence, it's a big worry because I don't think Skinner is even close to ready.

I hope that game was just fatigue(pulling your leg behind you while in the butterfly making yourself smaller is either a fatigue thing or a confidence thing) & he rebounds to the standard he had during his win streak where he gave us a legit chance to win every game if we scored 3. We shouldn't NEED to score 6 to win.
We have had to score 7 to win with both skinner and campbell in net the last 4 games.

Thats not just on goaltending, the team needs to take a little resposibility.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So what's even the point Holland of trying to land a big fish Dman, when we have a bigger problem in nets?
Do we? We have at worst around average goaltending. I say this lots but try watching LA sometime. They had to try to get through horrific goaltending from Quick and Peterson. Finally they got Copley who is just barely competent. Copley isn't even as good as Skinner or Campbell, and he's the top LA goalie. Old Quick is so bad the Kings have to score half a dozen goals ANY time he's in net to have a shot. They have to limit shots and outplay opponents every night. The Kings have around the worst goaltending in the league and they've worked through that. Their goal against first 20 games was astronomical as they had no legit goalie in their whole system.

Watching a team like that gives perspective on what bad goaltending really looks like. The Yotes were putting anything on net. Even from Center ice because there was good chance Quick was butchering it. Try to play with that.

The Oilers get far better goaltending and yet give up the same amount of goals, which is frankly a disgrace, but is a factor of our defending and I'm including 5 man unit defending in that.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Skinner has a record below .500 right now, thats not good, def not the saving grace of this franchise right now
skinner started during a period of time when the offense wasn't hot. The offense has been hot lately which is why Campbell's record looks better. If Campbell had been getting more starts earlier in year and skinner been healthy while offense was hot, the records would look much different. Skinner hasn't been amazing but far better than Campbell unless you are gonna judge goalies by how much the offense scored which is stupid.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
AS recently as Friday Campbell was excellent in net. he's been pretty good so far in 2023. Comments always seem to be leveraged so much to latest game. Not mentioned is Campbell is getting all the starts because Skinner has been sick for awhile. Campbell saw a ton of work on Friday and was between pipes again today against another tough opponent. For a goalie its harder to imagine a tougher weekend than facing Rangers and Colorado. Travel day on top of that.

C'mon you know better. check this out. Even when he won in regulation he was under .900.

DATEOPPRESULTGSTOI/GWINSLTOTLGAGA/GSASVSV%SO
Sun 2/19@COLCOLL
6-5 OT
164:09000165.614236.8570
Fri 2/17vsNYRNYRL
5-4 SO
164:54000143.703834.8950
Wed 2/15vsDETDETL
5-4 SO
164:46000143.712319.8260
Sat 2/11@OTTOTTW
6-3
159:43100033.012926.8970

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Is time to cut bait, no matter the cost

This graph depicts the same performance output for these goalies. But the focus is on JC because of his cost. I understand.

It still doesn’t address the fact that BOTH goalies are struggling somewhat, making some big and timely saves at times and letting in goals that they’d like to have back. I wonder if the overall defensive play of the D core and forwards blowing the zone constantly waiting for lead passes that this group can’t make, thus turning the puck over in the neutral zone or worse in the defensive zone is the bigger problem.

This inability to keep the puck out of the net and close out teams when holding 3 goal leads is not just a problem that dumping Jack Campbell is going to fix.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
C'mon you know better. check this out. Even when he won in regulation he was under .900.

DATEOPPRESULTGSTOI/GWINSLTOTLGAGA/GSASVSV%SO
Sun 2/19@COLCOLL
6-5 OT
164:09000165.614236.8570
Fri 2/17vsNYRNYRL
5-4 SO
164:54000143.703834.8950
Wed 2/15vsDETDETL
5-4 SO
164:46000143.712319.8260
Sat 2/11@OTTOTTW
6-3
159:43100033.012926.8970
The Rangers should've scored 10 so the stats for that game don't mean much.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad