Player Discussion Jack Campbell

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
1st goal was against one of the most elite shots in the game.
2nd goal not a oiler player in sight for 5 seconds
3rd goal routine save until Nurse deflects it in with his shin pad.

Can't believe your d
I said this before the deal was signed. Said he will be worse signing then Mikko, I was laughed at all summer long .....

I don't mind admitting that I was 100% wrong about Jack. I was on board.
Don't think I was wrong about Husso not being a good option although he would have been better.

Although I would have grabbed Samsonov 10000% first choice.
Blows me away that he was out there for cheap.

Reactions: Zerotonine

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So Reimer this year is 3.31 and .895 and Campbell is 3.31 and .888. So I will agree you shed cap if you move him, but you were pissing and moaning about performance of the position. How does this fix that?

If you're getting 5 million dollars here then you need to be at least as good as Mike Smith. Simple. As.

If you're not going to be and you can only win games when you get the run support of 4-5 goals ... then what the f*** are we paying you 5 million for?

Many goalies making 1.5-2.9 mill can do that same shit, put that money elsewhere.

Campbell
Puljujarvi
Barrie
Schaefer + EDM 1st 2023 + EDM 2nd (becomes 1st 2025 if they make the Finals in the next 2 years)

for

Karlsson @8.5 million
Reimer @50% retained
Bonino

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
literally any person who identifies as a hockey goalie is a suitable replacement for Jack Campbell

it amazes me when people would scoff at the idea of dumping Campbell and his 5M cap hit because 'who's gonna be the replacement?' f*** literally anyone lol give the cap space back
Right. I understand. But honest question, in this market at this time of year who would you replace him with. Saving cap does f*** all if you don’t address the problem you state is there. Reimer ain’t the answer.

If you're getting 5 million dollars here then you need to be at least as good as Mike Smith. Simple. As.

If you're not going to be and you can only win games when you get the run support of 4-5 goals ... then what the f*** are we paying you 5 million for?

Many goalies making 1.5-2.9 mill can do that same shit, put that money elsewhere.

Campbell
Puljujarvi
Barrie
Schaefer + EDM 1st 2023 + EDM 2nd (becomes 1st 2025 if they make the Finals in the next 2 years)

for

Karlsson @8.5 million
Reimer @50% retained
Bonino
That’s not what I asked. Saving cap and putting in an equally performing goalie as per your suggestion doesn’t address the concern. I asked you who would you put in to replace Jack that has better numbers before the trade deadline.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Right. I understand. But honest question, in this market at this time of year who would you replace him with. Saving cap does f*** all if you don’t address the problem you state is there. Reimer ain’t the answer.

That’s not what I asked. Saving cap and putting in an equally performing goalie as per your suggestion doesn’t address the concern. I asked you who would you put in to replace Jack that has better numbers before the trade deadline.

Stuart Skinner has better numbers, that's who. If Jack Campbell is only giving us some .889 bullshit (well not even that apparently) as a back up here, we don't need that for 5 million.

That 5 million can go a loooooong way in making Karlsson's salary work, like y'know the guy who's going to win the Norris trophy. That guy.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

I don't think there are any goalie options out there.

Talbot maybe, but nobody wants to see him back.
Korpasalo ... but he's not great.
Reimer ... meh
Billington? maybe ... but do you want that headache
Gibson? maybe retained .... he doesn't want to play in Cdn

The answer is Skinner or bust I think, this year

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Okay, let's say Campbell is gone. Reimer comes back.

Give some of his starts to Skinner. He's not ideal but at least he's putting up better numbers and is a young guy you can build up and develop. Reimer can take the remaining starts as backup. He's no worse than Campbell has been and has a lot of experience. Use that extra cap space to upgrade other areas of the team.

Why is that so hard to grasp? Use the money saved on Campbell to upgrade literally anywhere else on the team. He has a f***ing 0.887 SV%, why are people acting like he'll be sorely missed? He's basically the equivalent of a AHL guy forced into a starting role but at least the AHL goalie wouldn't be eating up 5M

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't think there are any goalie options out there.

Talbot maybe, but nobody wants to see him back.
Korpasalo ... but he's not great.
Reimer ... meh
Billington? maybe ... but do you want that headache
Gibson? maybe retained .... he doesn't want to play in Cdn

The answer is Skinner or bust I think, this year
The oilers goalie situation is set for the year. Neither one is an all star really. They are both average. Skinner at this time has a better potential career possibility but pretty small sample at this point. In the off season you might be able to do something but im waiting to understand from a few here how Campbell can be moved, 5m put elsewhere AND you improve the position performance, because that’s what they are unhappy about. This ain’t at you, you have suggested it’s not something that can be easily solved in the next 2 1/2 weeks. I get that.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
dude you can use the cap space in other places, why in your mind does it always have to go back to the goaltending?

also, the team can't even ice a full roster right now due to cap constraints

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
The oilers goalie situation is set for the year. Neither one is an all star really. They are both average. Skinner at this time has a better potential career possibility but pretty small sample at this point. In the off season you might be able to do something but im waiting to understand from a few here how Campbell can be moved, 5m put elsewhere AND you improve the position performance, because that’s what they are unhappy about. This ain’t at you, you have suggested it’s not something that can be easily solved in the next 2 1/2 weeks. I get that.

Its a buy out in the summer, that's it.

Try again in the summer. Last chance to get it right.
His buyout ain't bad just long.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its a buy out in the summer, that's it.

Try again in the summer. Last chance to get it right.
His buyout ain't bad just long.

Can't have dead cap for that long.

Work him into the Karlsson deal, their contracts have equivalent term so it would help balance salary in/out for the duration of Karlsson's contract, which is important for us.

It would work better, maybe even for them you can sell it as "well you don't have to retain as much salary this way".

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Can't have dead cap for that long.

Work him into the Karlsson deal, their deals have equivalent term.

It would work better, maybe even for them you can sell it as "well you don't have to retain as much salary this way".

If they can I would, but I don't want Reimer back.
Just the cap savings.

Call up Cal .... hell .... trade for Khudobin, don't care.
Just have the cap for summer to try again for a real starter.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Okay, let's say Campbell is gone. Reimer comes back.

Give some of his starts to Skinner. He's not ideal but at least he's putting up better numbers and is a young guy you can build up and develop. Reimer can take the remaining starts as backup. He's no worse than Campbell has been and has a lot of experience. Use that extra cap space to upgrade other areas of the team.

Why is that so hard to grasp? Use the money saved on Campbell to upgrade literally anywhere else on the team. He has a f***ing 0.887 SV%, why are people acting like he'll be sorely missed? He's basically the equivalent of a AHL guy forced into a starting role but at least the AHL goalie wouldn't be eating up 5M
You and a few other posters keep talking about saving cap money (which I agree is important to this club) but are primarily bitching about performance at the position and are proposing replacing the player with the same level of performance. Last time I ask, how do you improve the position before the TDL if you package JC off? You want to pin a Stanley Cup run for McDavid and Drai on a goalie with 30 NHL games played, and whose last 5 are “average”? We won’t agree. I don’t think that’s improving anything.

dude you can use the cap space in other places, why in your mind does it always have to go back to the goaltending?

also, the team can't even ice a full roster right now due to cap constraints
Because this whole discussion started around people saying that goaltending was garbage and needed to be addressed. Follow the discussion.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You and a few other posters keep talking about saving cap money (which I agree is important to this club) but are primarily bitching about performance at the position and are proposing replacing the player with the same level of performance. Last time I ask, how do you improve the position before the TDL if you package JC off? You want to pin a Stanley Cup run for McDavid and Drai on a goalie with 30 NHL games played, and whose last 5 are “average”? We won’t agree. I don’t think that’s improving anything.

Saying you need to be better than .887 goalie if you're paid 5 million dollars isn't "bitching", it's reality.

If that's what you bring to the table, why 5 million for that. It's like paying 100k to buy a Honda Accord ... like you're overspending out the ass, you can get an Accord tier sedan for 30k.

We needed this guy to be an upgrade on Smith, he's an overall downgrade while making double the money. Maybe he's better than Koskinen but his stats sure don't show it either and we couldn't afford to have Koskinen's boat anchor contract as is either.

If that's what you bring to the table get Reimer and if he wants to stay as a vet back up, sign him for $1.5 mill or something in the summer. Good enough.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Because this whole discussion started around people saying that goaltending was garbage and needed to be addressed. Follow the discussion.
I'd swap Campbell for an equally shit goalie if that meant the team could dress a full line-up. That right there is the improvement. A full team.

Second, yes, I would rather hitch my wagon to Skinner and his 30 games played than Campbell and his 0.887 SV%. This guy is SO TRASH

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Today needed to be a statement game from Campbell, he needed to show he can be "the guy" against a team that beat us in the playoffs last year and the team gave him 5 goals to work with. It was there for the taking.

He still shit the bed.

Just not good enough, the 1st and 4th goals in particular were not good.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Today needed to be a statement game from Campbell, he needed to show he can be "the guy" against a team that beat us in the playoffs last year and the team gave him 5 goals to work with. It was there for the taking.

He still shit the bed.

Just not good enough, the 1st and 4th goals in particular were not good.
He's not good enough, he hasn't been good enough all year. He's cost us more games than he's won for us. Stop playing him.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'd swap Campbell for an equally shit goalie if that meant the team could dress a full line-up. That right there is the improvement. A full team.

Second, yes, I would rather hitch my wagon to Skinner and his 30 games played than Campbell and his 0.887 SV%. This guy is SO TRASH
And you’d still be bitching about goalie performance. I get it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That was a statement game from Campbell. Unfortunately the statement he made was "hey don't look at me if you want to beat Colorado, I ain't it".

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Saying you need to be better than .887 goalie if you're paid 5 million dollars isn't "bitching", it's reality.

If that's what you bring to the table, why 5 million for that. It's like paying 100k to buy a Honda Accord ... like you're overspending out the ass, you can get an Accord tier sedan for 30k.

We needed this guy to be an upgrade on Smith, he's an overall downgrade while making double the money. Maybe he's better than Koskinen but his stats sure don't show it either and we couldn't afford to have Koskinen's boat anchor contract as is either.

If that's what you bring to the table get Reimer and if he wants to stay as a vet back up, sign him for $1.5 mill or something in the summer. Good enough.
I guess you’re not answering the question. Ok.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I guess you’re not answering the question. Ok.

Skinner + Reimer + using a big chunk of Campbell's salary to absord Erik Karlsson's deal is my answer.

Now explain to me how Jack Campbell at 5 million + adding in Skinner's 2.6 million extension is some how better.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I gotta say, I was shocked when I saw that Campbell was 6'3", 207lb. I would have pegged him at 6' max, maybe 180-190lbs. I honestly wonder how accurate that really is. Maybe it's because we're used to Smitty but imho there isn't a goalie in the league that looks smaller in the net. His positioning isn't bad, he doesn't usually get caught swimming on easy cross-crease plays or anything like that, but if you think about how many of the recent bad goals have just squeaked by him you realize that a person with a larger frame simply stops more of these pucks.

I dunno, is JC more careful about adhering to NHL equipment rules, or what? Seriously just load up any replay and compare it to say Shesterkin (NYR), the latter is allegedly two inches shorter but he looks like he covers more of the net...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad