Speculation: J.T. Miller for Kevin Fiala +

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
Not the type of trade I would LIKE Benning to make, but maybe an idea of something HE would make?

Miller+Rathbone for Fiala+Addison+3rd?

Essentially Miller's value is Fiala and a third, plus the minimal upgrade of trading two very similar skillset prospects but Canucks get the RHD version?
No it is not stop and Watch some more games maybe. And watch some more rathbone

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Why? Boldy + Addison should be sufficient. JT Miller is a great player but he’s only got 1.75 years left on that deal before UFA.

I think my post went over your head. You want Minnesota to trade two of their top 5 prospects for JT Miller....ummm ok

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think my post went over your head. You want Minnesota to trade two of their top 5 prospects for JT Miller....ummm ok
Minny doesn’t have great prospects. You’re not the Kings or Rangers.

Addison is a maybe middle pair guy, he’s a B+ level guy at best. Boldy is a middle six forward, A- level prospect at best.

JT Miller is much better than both of them right now. He’s a legit first liner.

nothing went over my head. You’re really overrating Addison.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Ummm...I was being sarcastic. The trade proposal of Boldy and Addison is already a way over pay
Some Fans do dumb things like think Boldy > Fiala.

In real life Fiala >> Boldy. Better to trade the lesser player for a JT Miller. This assumes Minnesota is looking to win now. Given how the dead cap space in a few years will cripple those teams, those won’t be win now seasons. But this one probably is.

checks standings. Minnesota is in first place.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
At worst, Minnesota has a top 10 prospect pool. So saying that they don’t have good prospects is a bit disingenuous.
Then Addison isn’t one of your best prospects. Boldy is.

JT Miller for a good + a so so prospect is a legit offer that is fair. Smarter than trading away a first liner in Fiala and a + for JT Miller. Which felt like an overpay for me.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Then Addison isn’t one of your best prospects. Boldy is.

JT Miller for a good and a so so prospect is a legit offer that is fair. Smarter than trading away a first liner in Fiala and a + for JT Miller. Which felt like an overpay for me.

Sounds like the Avs should be trading Newhook+Barron for Miller then.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sounds like the Avs should be trading Newhook+Barron for Miller then.
Probably not. Newhook is better than Boldy and Barron is a better prospect than Addison.

Newhook + a 3rd would be fair. Avs don’t have the cap space for it however. And Vancouver needs defense. Not more forwards.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don’t want to be hard on Boldy. He’s a very good prospect and I think highly of him.

Newhook is from the same tier as Boldy. Newhook has 3 goals and 5 points in seven games playing a bottom six role with little PP time. He’s often the best player on his line. He’s not getting ice time with Landy or Bura. He won the game vs Ottawa two nights ago. Newhook is off to a great start to his NHL career. He was NCAA freshmen of the year on the same team as Boldy. They are likely good friends and will be solid NHL players for years to come.

JT Miller is a damn good player too. On a below market contact with another year on it. And he can play C. Which Minnesota needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

In real life Fiala >> Boldy. Better to trade the lesser player for a JT Miller. This assumes Minnesota is looking to win now. Given how the dead cap space in a few years will cripple those teams, those won’t be win now seasons. But this one probably is.

Some fans do dumb things like thinking they understand another teams prospects better than the actual fans of the team. Sometimes they even double down on the stupidity by pretending to know that teams wants/needs more than the actual fans of the team.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
They’ve always put up similar numbers but one is in the NHL putting up 5 points in 7 games on a much deeper team and can play Centre while one is in the AHL, maybe he would’ve made the team if he wasn’t injured? But he hasn’t shown he can produce at the NHL level like Newhook yet.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016

I think you’re failing to understand Minnesota situation.

Fiala makes more sense to trade than Boldy (or any of our top prospect for that matter) when you factor in the dead cap space we have coming. We need players like Boldy who we can use their ELCs to help navigate through the dead cap space era. Fiala is up for another contract and who knows if we can fit him in.

Boldy has shown he has the potential to be a Fiala level player or better. If he does reach that is up for debate but right now we need cap space relief and trading Boldy would go against that.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
They’ve always put up similar numbers but one is in the NHL putting up 5 points in 7 games on a much deeper team and can play Centre while one is in the AHL because he failed to make a team where the leading scorer is Ryan Hartman.

I took the liberty of fixing your quote back to what it was before you edited it.

You know, so we can all understand your baseline.

Reactions: AKL

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I took the liberty of fixing your quote back to what it was before you edited it.

You know, so we can all understand your baseline.
I mean I didn’t know he was injured but it doesn’t change the fact one is producing in the NHL and the other isn’t. They also played on the same line in college and put up similar numbers. You’re out of your mind if you think Newhook isn’t just as good as a prospect as Boldy.

Also not sure why Minnesota would even want Miller anyways, they’re not good enough to win and their cap is in shambles due to the buy outs. Just take the loss and rebuild.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I've been a huge Boldy fan since he was drafted but Newhook is definitely better than him right now. They were drafted near each other, then Newhook performed better on the same college team. Boldy has the chance to surpass him when he finally makes the league.

Reactions: Muffin

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I've been a huge Boldy fan since he was drafted but Newhook is definitely better than him right now. They were drafted near each other, then Newhook performed better on the same college team. Boldy has the chance to surpass him when he finally makes the league.
Newhook was better than Boldy for the first half of their freshman year, where Boldy had a slow start while being played at center. Once they switched him to wing after New Years he's played and produced as well or better than Newhook has. They had limited AHL time last year, but his production was better there as well.

Boldy not being in the NHL right now seems to come down to a philosophical approach Guerin has with promoting prospects. Addison looks plenty ready to step in right now, but they're keeping him down. Beckman was fantastic in camp, but they've kept him down outside of a brief injury call-up. They didn't even really give Rossi a look at making the team. And Boldy could have stepped in during the playoffs last year, but they opted to use Parise instead. They have deliberately blocked some of these guys out by doing things like grabbing Pitlick off of waivers, and if you think Pitlick's better than Boldy I've got some seaside property in South Dakota to sell you.

None of which has jack to do with JT Miller, because none of those guys are being offered in trade.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Just out of curiosity, how many BC games did you watch those two years?

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boldy isn't in the NHL because he fractured his ankle, and he is getting a few games in at the AHL level to knock the rust off his game. The excellent performances(and waiver status) of depth players on MN like Sturm, Pitlick, Hartman and Duhaime will also make it harder for him to get a call up, till an injury or trade happens. Boldy is a guy you want playing in your top 9 and on the PP right away if he comes to the NHL. Otherwise, he is better off getting prime TOI with Rossi and Beckman down in Iowa.

Saying that either he or Newhook are better or worse players with such a tiny sample size is ridiculous. I say this as a guy who liked Newhook(and Krebs, despite his Achilles injury) during their draft year, and was lukewarm on Boldy. At this point they are all babies.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Minny doesn’t have great prospects. You’re not the Kings or Rangers.

Addison is a maybe middle pair guy, he’s a B+ level guy at best. Boldy is a middle six forward, A- level prospect at best.

JT Miller is much better than both of them right now. He’s a legit first liner.

nothing went over my head. You’re really overrating Addison.
If you're gonna act like an authority, at least know what you're talking about. Boldy is a top 20 prospect in pretty much every ranking. That's not A- level.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
not that it's infallible material but what were the preseason prospect rankings like for them? both (Boldy and Newhook) top 10?
From the vibes i got from Guerin it sounded like he wasn't planning on starting either Boldy or Rossi in the NHL regardless of how their camp went, so I wouldn't read too much into a "this guy is in the NHL and this guy isn't" argument even leaving aside an ankle injury. Wild fans were hopeful but whenever anyone asked, it seemed Guerin was set on starting them in the AHL.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I mean I didn’t know he was injured but it doesn’t change the fact one is producing in the NHL and the other isn’t. They also played on the same line in college and put up similar numbers. You’re out of your mind if you think Newhook isn’t just as good as a prospect as Boldy.

Also not sure why Minnesota would even want Miller anyways, they’re not good enough to win and their cap is in shambles due to the buy outs. Just take the loss and rebuild.
Maybe Guerin just wants to knock the Avs out of the playoffs. The Wild have done it with worse teams than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad