Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov Signs Extension - 6 Years/$40.5M ($6.75AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Okay Evander Kane at 7x7. Stasny at 6.75, Tavares at 11m, kucherov at 9.5, carlson at 8, Trouba asking for 8, doughty get 10. The point is 7/8 for Ivan will probably be the ballpark and it’s fair for both sides. Prices are going up.

Each and everyone of those were UFA deals. It’s a completely different market. The Flyers still hold Provorov’s rights for 6 more years.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
The point is UFAs are getting paid 1.2 per ten points now as an example. 1:1 for RFAs isn’t ridiculous, and it will probably be the market rate when the next batch of quality RFAs all sign. Ekblad got 7.5 a few years ago in a ridiculous deal. 7.5 won’t be ridiculous when he signs. High possibly but not ridiculous. He is also used as a number one D man. We have team control yes. Currently that buys you a fair deal, as compared to market premium that UFAs get. He would get 9 on the open market easily. 7-7.5 isn’t going to be bad by year 3 of the deal, if it ever is.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Our own GM went out of his way to mention that Provorov is a RFA and that people (i.e. beats) shouldn't compare him to what UFA's are being paid.

I'll be interested to see if he tries to extend him this year or if he'll wait. I didn't get the sense he was in a rush, but who knows. :dunno:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Florida went crazy with Ekblad’s & Matheson’s contracts. Every other team pretty much got crazy value on their young defensemen’s contract.

I honestly wouldn’t even care if the Flyers waited until after this year to do an extension as he probably won’t score nearly as much goals.

Reactions: wankstifier

mja

Jan 7, 2005
The point is UFAs are getting paid 1.2 per ten points now as an example. 1:1 for RFAs isn’t ridiculous, and it will probably be the market rate when the next batch of quality RFAs all sign. Ekblad got 7.5 a few years ago in a ridiculous deal. 7.5 won’t be ridiculous when he signs. High possibly but not ridiculous. He is also used as a number one D man. We have team control yes. Currently that buys you a fair deal, as compared to market premium that UFAs get. He would get 9 on the open market easily. 7-7.5 isn’t going to be bad by year 3 of the deal, if it ever is.

It’s amazing, but i disagree on every single thing you’ve said in this post and you’ve said quite a bit. No way in hell anyone’s giving Ivan 9 on the open market.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
By the time he’s ready to sign. Likely towards the end of this coming year. Prices go up. I said I’d be okay if he came in under 8. I’d be happy under 7. That means I’m expecting him to get between 6ish and 8 max. I’m not saying he’s going to get 8. Im saying it wouldn’t shock me. It also entirely depends on the term. An 8 year deal looks different then a 5 year deal.

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley
It’s amazing, but i disagree on every single thing you’ve said in this post and you’ve said quite a bit. No way in hell anyone’s giving Ivan 9 on the open market.

He would easily get 9 on the open market. Name one defenseman that's under the the age of 23 that's a number 1on a playoff team.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Stevie probably got a break on that Kuch contract because of the tax situation down there, too - I am pretty sure there were talks about Stamkos' deal last year being lower than it could have been because of the same thing (though I don't remember the exact numbers) (and the next time I remember exact numbers about anything will be the first) (tl;dr don't spend your youth smarting off to nuns in math class).

Reactions: BernieParent

mja

Jan 7, 2005
He would easily get 9 on the open market. Name one defenseman that's under the the age of 23 that's a number 1on a playoff team.

I don’t understand how the second sentence supports the contention in the first sentence. Because Provorov is under 23 and is his team’s best overall defenseman, he’d get 9 million per thrown at him if he’s on the market? So I guess that means we should expect such an offer sheet if he makes it to RFA?

That’s not how any of this works.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So Doughty and maybe Karlsson would be the only defensemen with a higher cap hit than Provorov? :laugh:

People losing their minds.

Reactions: mja

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley
So Doughty and maybe Karlsson would be the only defensemen with a higher cap hit than Provorov? :laugh:

People losing their minds.

If there wasn't any RFA status you don't think a 21 year old who led the league in goals for defensemen, who also is outstanding defensively and already has played #1 minutes on a playoff team wouldn't get offered 9 mil a year? Honestly there are plenty of teams that would throw that type of cash for a player like that.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
If there wasn't any RFA status you don't think a 21 year old who led the league in goals for defensemen, who also is outstanding defensively and already has played #1 minutes on a playoff team wouldn't get offered 9 mil a year? Honestly there are plenty of teams that would throw that type of cash for a player like that.
Surely you understand how dumb the point you’re trying to make is.

It does not work like that..

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley
Surely you understand how dumb the point you’re trying to make is.

It does not work like that..

I know it doesn't, but if let's say he makes it to RFA, which he won't. If a team offers him a 7 × 9 or 9.5 the Flyers wouldn't match instantly?

And furthermore mja asked me if he would get 9 mil a year thrown at him if he were on the open market, so the point actually is valid

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Say they lock Provorov up to a deal in the 5.5 range for 8 years.... would you try and bring in another superstar defenseman then? Ghost and Provorov combined cap hit would be 10 million.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
The thing is Provorov isn’t a typical RFA. He’s already our number one d man without replacement in sight. Our management knows it. His agent knows it. The whole NHL knows it. So while i don’t see Ivan as the type to hold the team hostage, i also don’t see him getting 5-6 mil on a long term deal. He’d have to have the worst agent in history.

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley
Say they lock Provorov up to a deal in the 5.5 range for 8 years.... would you try and bring in another superstar defenseman then? Ghost and Provorov combined cap hit would be 10 million.

Absolutely, if he were to sign for that much. I honestly think if he gets max term he'll get between 6.5 - 8 which again would be a steal. The point I was trying to make here is easily worth 9 million on an open market, and a multiple teams would offer it to him, if that were the case.

Reactions: mdm815

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
And just to clarify I’m expecting 7x8 for him. It’s fair to both sides. It tells him you acknowledge his importance and you make the dude happy. If Hexy can get the aav lower over 8 years I’ll be ecstatic and he’s worked wonders on other contracts, but i think it’s too optimistic to think you’ll get him at 5.5 until he’s 30.

mja

Jan 7, 2005

giphy.gif

So in a magical world where Ivan Provorov can make himself a UFA as soon as today, a team would offer him 9 million a year? The hell are you even talking about.

The whole f***ing point is that he is not UFA and won't be eligible for it for ANOTHER 6 YEARS, which is why players get paid less for RFA years than they do for UFA years. In other words, you have to contrive a hypothetical that completely ignores reality in order to make this argument even "work", and I even hesitate to use that word even surrounded by quotes because it's just so incredibly dubious.

I feel absolutely confident that as of today, if/when Provorov hits RFA status, not a single damned team is going to offer him 9 million a year. He's accomplished quite a bit in his young career, but nothing, absolutely nothing, to warrant getting paid as one of the top 3 defensemen in the entire league. Now, that could change if, say, he has a historic 2018-19 campaign where he leads the league in D scoring and puts up a PPG while taking home his first Norris and first team All Star selection while also winning the Conn-Smythe on the losing side in a heroic if ultimately vain effort to single-handedly lead the Flyers to their first Stanley Cup since the bellbottom era, but that seems just as much a fantasy as your scenario.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Provorov will be eligible for free agency after his 7th season, so if he signs an 8 year deal it will cover 4 RFA years and four UFA years.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall will point at the fact that his partner Ghost is making $4.5 million. He will then offer Provorov $5.5 million per. His agent will ask for $7.5 million per to match Ekblad's deal. The two side will settle on $6.5 million per.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

mja

Jan 7, 2005
And for the record, I think he likely gets 6 to 6.5 on an 8 year deal, so ultimately we're not that far apart, but this 9 million talk is crazy town.

Reactions: Rebels57

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Adopted son Provy will get a blend of RFA money being pushed up by UFA years being included in that deal. I'd wager closer to 7m - 7.5m per. If he keeps growing as he has he would get a ton of cash if he made it to free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad