Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
The article itself says 12 lbs, which seems a lot more plausible than 32 lbs. 32lbs in 5 weeks does not seem healthy, especially when he should be putting on muscle in there too.
It all depends on your metabolism. We all different.
We I was younger I lost 70 lbs in a month by becoming a vegetarian.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks the fifth starters spot could be filled by an opener, in a piggy back role to break in a young pitcher like we did at times this year?

I think Merryweather would be an ideal opener in the 5th spot. He throws hard and has a deep repetoire, his health makes it better if he has consistent appearance schedules and non-consecutive.

You could bring him out every 5 days and throw gas for 3 innings, then bring in a young guy like Kay, Hatch, Murphy, or Zeuch.

That means we only have two starter spots to fill.

Bauer*
Ryu
Walker/Paxton/Kluber/Minor/Ray
Pearson
Merryweather/Kay/Hatch

Potential Depth pieces: Happ/Lester/Porcello/Archer/Hamels/Desclafani

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It all depends on your metabolism. We all different.
We I was younger I lost 70 lbs in a month by becoming a vegetarian.

It could also be based on weight. I weigh like 150 lbs, so I would lose like 1/5 of my weight if I lost 32 lbs :laugh:

Still, that seems like a lot in 5 weeks. 70lbs in a month definitely seems like a lot.

Reactions: smitty10

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Well managed teams have some variation of their best, second best and 4th or 5th best hitter up.
tumblr_pppl5uW4pT1tx72cpo1_400.gifv

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yea, but on the balance it is the single inning most likely to be dominated by effective hitters. Late runs through may have 1, 2, 3 hit, or maybe due up is 9, 2, 1 or 3, 4, 5.

The 2nd/3rd time through trends (where hitters fare better against a pitcher the more they see them in a game) is probably the biggest factor, for me. With a normal start, a starter can only go three innings without having to face the top hitters for a second time. Use an opener ( for a couple innings, ideally, or even just for one inning) and the guy who follows him can go up to five innings without having to face the best guys twice. That's huge. It pretty much allows you to force the top hitters to face a different pitcher every time they come up.

Haringoth

Aug 2, 2019
The 2nd/3rd time through trends (where hitters fare better against a pitcher the more they see them in a game) is probably the biggest factor, for me.

That is also an absolutely huge factor. It's actually crazy how disparate the splits are 3rd time through.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
I’m fully expecting Atkins to come out swinging this off-season. I predict big moves early, which could be any day. Anybody predict the first move?
I say they trade for a legitimate centre fielder. Lorenzo Cain-ish...

I suspect that the possibility of playing in Buffalo again will really hurt the Jays with free agents. Not knowing where your family will live for sure can be a deal breaker.

Therefore I expect multiple big trades. They’ll be in on Lindor as one of the final bidders at the very least and I expect at least one more significant trade for a position player. I expect them to chase expensive contracts in the trade market and use their current finances as a strength.

Should be a fun offseason for rosterbation:)

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Phillips: Time for Toronto Blue Jays to open the purse strings, pursue top talent - TSN.ca

Here are some of the players the Jays should consider pursuing in the off-season:

- Trevor Bauer (Cincinnati Reds) is the best pitcher available. He would slide into the Jays rotation in front of Hyun-Jin Ryu. Bauer is very good, but very complicated. He will likely be the NL Cy Young Award winner for 2020. He has a big arm and is a big competitor. He has made statements in the past that he will only sign one-year deals as a free agent and not a mega long-term deal. He also wants to pitch every fourth day instead of every fifth day. He fashions himself as an old-school throw-back workhorse, although he has only thrown 200 innings once in his career. He doesn’t seem to understand that although the four-day schedule might work for him, the other four pitchers in the rotation will have their routines thrown off to accommodate his. Finally, he is very opinionated and isn’t afraid to share it on social media. He has been critical of other teams and players and the commissioner. If you sign him, you better know what you are getting into ahead of time. He will cost either one year at $35 million of six years at $150 million.

- George Springer (Houston Astros) is the best free agent outfielder available. He’s a centre fielder but can also play right field. He can hit for average and power. He can leadoff or hit down in the lineup. He is a solid defender and a winner. He is a big-game clutch performer who could add a level of toughness and experience to the young Jays lineup. He will cost the team five years and $120 million.

- Justin Turner is the best third baseman available. He’s older and will play next season at age 36. Turner is still a quality defensive player and as professional a hitter as you will find. He works the count and shows patience at the plate. When he gets his pitch, he can drive the ball and is great in the clutch. He shouldn’t have celebrated with his teammates on the field after Game 6 – even taking off his mask for a team picture following a positive COVID-19 test earlier in the evening – after the Dodgers won the World Series. But if he wants to play for your team, you will forgive him. He will cost the Jays about two years and $20 million.

- DJ LeMahieu is the best all-around player available in free agency. He has won two batting titles and three Gold Gloves. He is a consistent performer and leader. He can play second, first and third base. Signing him would be a double win for the Jays as they would get better and the Yankees would become much worse. He will be looking for four years and about $72 million.

This year’s free agent market for relievers is loaded with closers. The Jays need to add one. It is as deep a relievers market as I can recall. But the fact that there are a lot of closers in the market means that there are also a lot of teams looking.

Here are the best players of the group:

- Liam Hendricks (Oakland A’s, former Blue Jay). It will take three years at $33 million to land him.

- Brad Hand (Cleveland). The Jays can get him for two years and $18 million.

- Kirby Yates (San Diego Padres). Coming off an injury, he is a value at one year and $7 million.

- Trevor Rosenthal (San Diego Padres). He throws as hard as any reliever and could be had for two years and $12 million.

- Blake Treinen (Los Angeles Dodgers). He was clutch in the playoffs for the World Series champions. Two years at $14 million.

Reactions: smitty10

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I’m fully expecting Atkins to come out swinging this off-season. I predict big moves early, which could be any day. Anybody predict the first move?
I say they trade for a legitimate centre fielder. Lorenzo Cain-ish...

I suspect that the possibility of playing in Buffalo again will really hurt the Jays with free agents. Not knowing where your family will live for sure can be a deal breaker.

Therefore I expect multiple big trades. They’ll be in on Lindor as one of the final bidders at the very least and I expect at least one more significant trade for a position player. I expect them to chase expensive contracts in the trade market and use their current finances as a strength.

Should be a fun offseason for rosterbation:)

Im not a huge fan of paying a 35-36 year old 17-18M per to play CF. This isnt directed to you but my general statement is Rogers doesnt have unlimited funds, everyone was hit by COVID ans the Jays will make moves but they will also look for bargains too and in this off-season there will be a lot a lot bargains. If you can get an elite star then go for it, outside of that ill take more 1-2 year deals on players who should be getting 3-5 year deals.

lol "Rosterbation"

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Im not a huge fan of paying a 35-36 year old 17-18M per to play CF. This isnt directed to you but my general statement is Rogers doesnt have unlimited funds, everyone was hit by COVID ans the Jays will make moves but they will also look for bargains too and in this off-season there will be a lot a lot bargains. If you can get an elite star then go for it, outside of that ill take more 1-2 year deals on players who should be getting 3-5 year deals.

lol "Rosterbation"
Seriously thought Cain was younger than that. I still wouldn’t mind him for two years. I’d prefer him over Grichuk, that’s for sure.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Seriously thought Cain was younger than that. I still wouldn’t mind him for two years. I’d prefer him over Grichuk, that’s for sure.

If Milwaukee wants to trade Cain for Grichuk then I do it as Cain has a year less and is a better fit for us in CF.

But adding Cain’s salary to Grichuk’s and the crowded OF would be problematic in my eyes.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
B/R's Top 100 MLB Prospects Heading into 2020-21 Offseason

14. Nate Pearson, SP
32. Austin Martin, INF
67. Jordan Groshans, 3B
78. Simeon Woods-Richardson, SP
82. Alek Manoah, SP

Next 50: Orelvis Martinez, SS, and Alejandro Kirk, C
Nate Pearson made his MLB debut in 2020 and walked 13 batters in 18 innings. With a 2.3 BB/9 rate in 123.1 innings in the minors, there's plenty of reason to believe that will improve, and his lethal fastball-slider combination and burly build give him ace upside.
Outfielders JJ Bleday (No. 4 in 2019) and Riley Greene (No. 5 in 2019) will likely be compared throughout their careers after going back-to-back in last year's draft, while Austin Martin (No. 5 in 2020) was the best pure hitter in the 2020 draft and is polished enough to beat them both to the majors.
Josh Jung (No. 8 in 2019) and Trevor Larnach (No. 20 in 2018) are two of the most polished college hitters to be drafted in recent years, while Jordan Groshans looks like the next homegrown offensive star for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Simeon Woods Richardson (NYM to TOR in Marcus Stroman trade) and Jhoan Duran (ARI to MIN in Eduardo Escobar trade) were both acquired in deadline trades and steadily climbed the ranks among pitching prospects.

Alek Manoah impressed with a 2.65 ERA and a 27-to-5 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 17 innings after going No. 11 overall in the 2019 draft, while Geraldo Perdomo used a breakout season in 2019 to emerge as the shortstop of the future for the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Tampa has the most with 9 prospects
Miami and Seattle has 6
Jays are tied for 3rd with Detroit. Baltimore, Cincinnati and Minnesota with 5 prospects

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
B/R's Top 100 MLB Prospects Heading into 2020-21 Offseason

Tampa has the most with 9 prospects
Miami and Seattle has 6
Jays are tied for 3rd with Detroit. Baltimore, Cincinnati and Minnesota with 5 prospects

I'm surprised Manoah made the top-100 (probably deserved though), but I'm more surprised they have him ranked ahead of Orlevis?

I think Orlevis is closer to our Martin/Groshans tier than he is the Kirk/Manoah tier. Kirk also getting underrated, as usual.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'm surprised Manoah made the top-100 (probably deserved though), but I'm more surprised they have him ranked ahead of Orlevis?

I think Orlevis is closer to our Martin/Groshans tier than he is the Kirk/Manoah tier. Kirk also getting underrated, as usual.

I agree I think Martinez has a huge ceiling which is comparable to Groshans and Martin.

Excluding Pearson, my prospect list is;

1. Martin
2. Groshans
3. Martinez
4. SWR
5. Kirk
6. Manoah

I think Hiraldo will be underrated too. He may not have spectacular numbers throughout the minors but if he makes it the majors he will prove his worth.

Reactions: Morgs

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
If Milwaukee wants to trade Cain for Grichuk then I do it as Cain has a year less and is a better fit for us in CF.

But adding Cain’s salary to Grichuk’s and the crowded OF would be problematic in my eyes.
I don’t see them both here. I actually think Grichuk and Tellez could be made available as “surplus”. I would love to see two upgrades in cf and rf with Teoscar taking over at dh.
Just my dream.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015

Those first four names make a pretty good offseason shopping list ^^

Last edited:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Here are the names I keep hearing in Jays forums that people want.

Infield:

1) Lindor
2) LeMahieu
3) Turner

Pitching:

1) Bauer
2) Hendricks
3) Rosenthal

Outfield:

??

Any outfielders worth giving $$$ or trading for?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad