Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Bo is good enough to play SS, but Lindor is elite there. Bo would be elite at either 3B or 2B, same with Martin. That's elite defense at 3 of the 5 infield positions.

I think, statistically, Bo’s issue is his arm, is it not? He’d be an elite second-baseman if that was the case, but I’m not sure he’d be elite at the hot corner. I could be wrong, though. I know he’s an adequate defender at SS, so theoretically he should be able to play either with success.

Also, if Jansen returns to his 2019 form defensively, then that’s 4 of 5 positions.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
I think, statistically, Bo’s issue is his arm, is it not? He’d be an elite second-baseman if that was the case, but I’m not sure he’d be elite at the hot corner. I could be wrong, though. I know he’s an adequate defender at SS, so theoretically he should be able to play either with success.

Also, if Jansen returns to his 2019 form defensively, then that’s 4 of 5 positions.
Taking a look at Bichette's prospect grades, Fangraphs gave him a 60 arm grade in 2019, MLB.com's prospect watch gave him a 55 grade in 2018. Assuming those are accurate, Bichette should make for a very good 3B with his athleticism and hands that are good enough for SS but not elite. A Lindor acquisition would certainly be an upgrade at the position for the team given that Lindor finished in the 96th percentile in outs above average compared to Bichette's 20th percentile ranking.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The article itself says 12 lbs, which seems a lot more plausible than 32 lbs. 32lbs in 5 weeks does not seem healthy, especially when he should be putting on muscle in there too.

32 lbs is amazing if he can keep it off. 32 lbs in 5 weeks might be iffy for an avg human, but for a guy of his size it's fine. I don't think he needs to pack on much muscle, he already has tons of power, and muscle can mess with your swing.

Reactions: Discoverer

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
The Blue Jays fan in me is upset (but not surprised) that Lourdes didn't win but the baseball fan in me is happy that Gordon gets to retire with one more Gold Glove. He was a fun player to watch in his prime.

Didn't we come close to acquiring him + Greinke one year?

Also all in on Lindor if we can get him without giving up Groshans or Martin. Still young, plus defender instantly fills one of our glaring weaknesses in defence. If we can get him this year plus an extension. Don't really like the idea of waiting for next year, just in case teams trade for a Bryant, Baez etc before next summer.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Jays need to focus on 3 areas to compete in the AL East. SP, CF and 3B/2B.

As of right now, it’s Ryu/Pearson/Roark in your starting rotation. They will need 2 more capable arms to fill out rotation. One should be a 1 or 2 type to slot behind or before Ryu (Bauer, Stroman or a trade), the other should be a 3 or 4 type (Orduzzi,Walker, Ray, Shoemaker). For CF they need someone like Bradley or trade for one. This would allow you to move Grichuk into an OF rotation with DH with Gurriel and Hernandez.

For 3B/2B, there are tones of options available either through free agency or trade. Depending on your SP signings and cost, this is where you get a multi dimensional player that can play multiple positions and hit the cover off the ball to get on base. My signing would be LeMathieu. You have a pro typical lead off hitter that can play 3B, 2B and 1B. Throw the bank at this guy and you have a more then capable lineup to contend.

LeMathieu -2B
Biggio- 3B
Bichette - SS
Hernandez -DH
Guerrero- 1B
Gurriel -LF
Grichuk- RF
Bradley -CF
Jansen -C

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Lindor (extended) & Bauer is an extremely good off-season. If we got Lindor, my first thought is "can Bichette handle CF" before thinking about moving him to 5.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
This is where Rogers should be like sorry folks we are upping all your cell phone and cable packages cause we are going all-in on the Jays. Raise the prices $25 a month on all subscribers then put $10 towards the payroll and $15 in their pocket on the corporate business side of Rogers. Owners get their money and the Jays get theirs to spend.

Go then sign Bauer and trade and extend Lindor. Fans if allowed back in will fill up the stadium again making more money for Rogers.

Now I am not a Rogers customer so no skin off my back but boy Jays fans across Canada would be all in for sure.

Reactions: weems

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This is where Rogers should be like sorry folks we are upping all your cell phone and cable packages cause we are going all-in on the Jays. Raise the prices $25 a month on all subscribers then put $10 towards the payroll and $15 in their pocket on the corporate business side of Rogers. Owners get their money and the Jays get theirs to spend.

Go then sign Bauer and trade and extend Lindor. Fans if allowed back in will fill up the stadium again making more money for Rogers.

Now I am not a Rogers customer so no skin off my back but boy Jays fans across Canada would be all in for sure.

Until 95% of their customers leave.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Lindor (extended) & Bauer is an extremely good off-season. If we got Lindor, my first thought is "can Bichette handle CF" before thinking about moving him to 5.
I've looked at the lineup and rotation with those two, it's close but I think we still need at least 1 more good mid rotation starter and one more lefty bat. And please sell high on Grichuk.

Biggio 2B
Lindor SS*
Bichette 3B
Teo RF
Tellez DH
Vlad 1B
Gurriel LF
Jackie Bradley CF*
Kirk / Jansen C

Bauer
Ryu
Walker
Pearson
Stripling/Kay/Hatch

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017

I’d move him to 2nd. His arm grades below average by DRS, and his plus range at SS would be ridiculous at 2nd, and his arm issues would disappear. Biggio, in an extremely small sample, faired okay in CF this past season.

Reactions: Morgs

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
What does a Lindor trade look like? Like one of SWR/Groshans with a lower minors high upside add? That is most likely light I would guess.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
To me, Lindor only makes sense if he's option C or D for the Jays.

You're giving up some sort of assets for him and is he a significant upgrade to what is currently available on the free agent market?

And a follow-up to that is, what is the long-term plan for Bo? Do the Jays view him as an every day shortstop or do they move him to 2nd base?

So do you focus on getting Lindor and moving Bo. Or keep Bo at SS and sign Wong/La Stella. Of course Lindor is option 1 in this scenario, but with all things considered, is it worth the price.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
What does a Lindor trade look like? Like one of SWR/Groshans with a lower minors high upside add? That is most likely light I would guess.
Groshans or martin is the starter for sure. They would probably want one of the pitching prospects too. And maybe a guy like tellez. For me thats steep. I like lindor but ita not a need, its a want. Now if lindor comes with an extension thats a different story.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
One year of Lindor + extension has gotta be close to two years of Realmuto I would imagine.

Realmuto got Sixto + Alfaro + Will Stewart + $250,000 international bonus slot

That's a (50FV) + (45FV) + (35FV+) + (35FV+)

Orelvis/SWR + Moreno/Kay + ? + ?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Groshans or martin is the starter for sure. They would probably want one of the pitching prospects too. And maybe a guy like tellez. For me thats steep. I like lindor but ita not a need, its a want. Now if lindor comes with an extension thats a different story.
I'm not going to say it won't happen but teams are not giving up those top top prospects like they used to anymore. Maybe a tier below.

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm not going to say it won't happen but teams are not giving up those top top prospects like they used to anymore. Maybe a tier below.

At best. Groshans/Martin wont happen, and SWR/Orlevis I'd be surprised by too.

Teams just don't trade guys like them, and I'd be even more surprised if they did during a pandemic.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Jeff Passan's MLB offseason preview: Answering 20 uniquely 2020 hot stove questions
Question: So there are teams that might spend. Who?

The Mets for sure. The Toronto Blue Jays want to be more than a No. 8 seed in the playoffs. The San Francisco Giants are starting to turn the corner in their rebuild and have a very creative front office. The Detroit Tigers want to give new manager AJ Hinch more to work with. The Minnesota Twins, to maintain their place amid the top of the AL Central, have some payroll space. The Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays each cleared big salaries off their books and could get inventive with the money.

Reactions: weems

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad